This is why Westboro Baptist Church is a joke
(10-25-2011, 04:26 AM)kandrathe Wrote:
(10-25-2011, 02:32 AM)Treesh Wrote: ...all the political, socio-economic discussions that go on here are nothing more than mental masturbation without doing anything to back it up.
Yikes!

In flagrante delicto... Exclamation

Actually, I like to discuss these things as a way to complete my thoughts and have others poke holes in them. I learn quite a bit, and it forces me to do a little research into areas I otherwise would not. I more or less think about it more as casual talk around the coffee table.

Xbox is mental masturbation for me. Smile

I consider casual talk around the coffee table mental masturbation as well. They're both examples of mutual rather than solitary enjoyment though. =)

Xbox is for blowing things up and headshots, which basically falls into that category as well but with less thought involved. =) See it, shoot it.
Intolerant monkey.
And now Obama states that God also supports his new job plan.

Well if he needs Gods help it probably is a crap plan in the first place.
(11-03-2011, 10:18 AM)eppie Wrote: And now Obama states that God also supports his new job plan.

Here is a link.

It seems more politically cynical or facetious, than earnest. And... I love that Carney (Press Secretary) misquotes the Bible. Smile It's also often wrongly attributed to Ben Franklin.

How about, "Heaven ne’er helps the men who will not act" -- Sophocles

The House and Senate both spend an amazing amount of time passing little bills to glorify "this", or recognize "that", just to get a member a write up in the congressional record.

In this case, it was a somewhat cynical political barb hurled by one representative, Randy Forbes, in response to Obama's speech in Jakarta where he said, “In the United States, our motto is E pluribus unum — out of many, one.” Forbes, a bible thumping baptist who barely hung onto his seat despite district gerrymandering in his favor, defines his political role as "Recognition of the Supreme Being is the first, the most basic expression of Americanism. Thus the founding fathers of America sought and thus with God's help, it will continue to be." Thus, he obviously has memorized the King James version.

Still, it is the Senate that has slow walked the Presidents jobs legislation. The House is a popcorn kettle of bill creation, whereas it is the Senate who are traditionally supposed to contemplate, discuss, and debate what the House produces. The House must originate any bills dealing with spending the peoples money.

Talking about slow walking the President... I recently watched one of those CSpan3 book shows an author, Ron Susskind, talking about his new book, Confidence Men. Evidently, Geitner slow walked the President's plan to nationalize Citigroup, and others. Obama wanted to do a Sweden, rather than a Japan. What we ended up with was a Japan.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(11-03-2011, 10:18 AM)eppie Wrote: And now Obama states that God also supports his new job plan.

He was making a joke, ribbing the House Republicans for passing frivolous God-bothering statements, when what needs to be done is fixing the economy. He didn't hold a press conference to declare that the Almighty is behind his jobs bill.

-Jester
(11-03-2011, 03:25 PM)Jester Wrote:

He was making a joke, ribbing the House Republicans for passing frivolous God-bothering statements, when what needs to be done is fixing the economy. He didn't hold a press conference to declare that the Almighty is behind his jobs bill.

-Jester
God hates Job.

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

(11-03-2011, 03:35 PM)kandrathe Wrote: God hates Job.

Who doesn't? What with the womanizing, the grandstanding, and that ridiculous theme music from the '80s...

Oh, sorry. That's "God hates GOB." ... Who are you talking about?

-Jester
(11-03-2011, 03:25 PM)Jester Wrote: He was making a joke, ribbing the House Republicans for passing frivolous God-bothering statements, -Jester

Seriously? Sorry but I the dutch paper I read this in didn't pick up on that one.
Well if it was a joke he is allright.

(11-03-2011, 04:04 PM)Jester Wrote: Who are you talking about?
Well, the biblical guy, remember? Boils, destitution, killed his livestock, killed his family? God had a bet with the devil... Anyone? Bueller?

(11-03-2011, 04:16 PM)eppie Wrote:
(11-03-2011, 03:25 PM)Jester Wrote: He was making a joke, ribbing the House Republicans for passing frivolous God-bothering statements, -Jester
Seriously? Sorry but I the dutch paper I read this in didn't pick up on that one. Well if it was a joke he is allright.
You need to develop a more heightened BS detector. Media is notorious for this. Man bites dog, details at 9pm.

On any given day, you will find our representatives, of whatever party, doing something akin to lunacy. But, that is the nature of the House.

For example, today there is a hearing about "Institutionalizing Irregular Warfare Capabilities". If they are "Institutionalized", they wouldn't be "irregular" anymore.

(11-03-2011, 08:31 PM)kandrathe Wrote: For example, today there is a hearing about "Institutionalizing Irregular Warfare Capabilities". If they are "Institutionalized", they wouldn't be "irregular" anymore.

Everything about warfare is "irregular". I don't want to live in a world were warfare is "regular", but here we are.
(11-04-2011, 03:38 AM)DeeBye Wrote: Everything about warfare is "irregular". I don't want to live in a world were warfare is "regular", but here we are.
Smile

I just get freaked out by how Orwellian things are getting.

Like, peace keeping troops. Ah, it's not like they are going to shoot you with those guns. Or obliterate you with our Peacekeeper missiles. Or, using our civilian friendly precision guided Smart bombs. For decades, we've run an Imperial presidency. Even now, with the failure to get congressional war powers for Libya, under the pretense that what we are doing in Libya is not hostile. This is the same guy who said, "The president does not have the power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve an actual or imminent threat to the nation."

Or, The Patriot Act, which allows the government to violate our right to privacy and unreasonable search. Now, we have to worry about domestic use of UAV's, and being hijacked by smart dust.

Whistle blowers are charged with espionage, for unauthorized "willful retention" of documents. Or, the Justice Departments new rules that require lying (even to Federal Judges) to prevent revealing that the documents sought under Freedom of Information Act requests exist.

This would be the perfect thread for Orwellian double speak. The one with the alleged church group who engages in hate speech.