So, Skyrim's out 11/11/11
http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/1...orking-on/

Quote:Continued Game Updates – This week we released update 1.2 across all platforms, and we’ll be releasing an incremental update next week. We anticipate it will be up on PC first, and then hit PS3 and Xbox 360 later in the week. Among other things, the update will fix issues like magic resistance not calculating properly and the rare, amazing backwards flying dragon. Once the update is released, we’ll share the full release notes.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
There is an unofficial fix for resistences named the skyrim script extender SKSE
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/to...ry19565933
(12-01-2011, 08:22 PM)Thenryb Wrote: ...It really does seem like Oblivion without a feather spell.
It's not called feather anymore. It's "Fortify Carry Weight".

I've made a utility ring and a necklace of +15 each, which helps a little. I'm like Batman, when it comes to my dungeon diving utility belt. Also, thinking about the Conditioning heavy armor perk for no weight heavy armor.

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Woot! Bethesda says January for an ETA for the Creation Kit. I wonder if it's early or late January. If it's late, I can claim it's a birthday present to me from Bethesda because they lurv me so much. Wink

When it does come out, I'm going to see about putting in this version of the Skyrim theme so I can listen to it in the inns with bards. =)
Intolerant monkey.
(12-02-2011, 04:27 PM)Treesh Wrote: When it does come out, I'm going to see about putting in this version of the Skyrim theme so I can listen to it in the inns with bards. =)

I was thinking more along the lines of this one. Wink
Roland *The Gunslinger*
(12-02-2011, 05:40 PM)Roland Wrote:
(12-02-2011, 04:27 PM)Treesh Wrote: When it does come out, I'm going to see about putting in this version of the Skyrim theme so I can listen to it in the inns with bards. =)

I was thinking more along the lines of this one. Wink

That one was good too. =) But metal is more for my FPS games and I don't quite play this one like an FPS. =)
Intolerant monkey.
(12-02-2011, 06:49 PM)Treesh Wrote: That one was good too. =) But metal is more for my FPS games and I don't quite play this one like an FPS. =)

I like to think metal is universal, but then I'm biased. Wink If only Nightwish (with Tarja) would do a cover of the Skyrim theme. That would be epic.

I need to get back into Oblivion. Been taking some time off, first being sick and then catching up on World of Tanks, but I've been feeling the itch now and then. Thankfully it seems a game you can keep playing for years to come, so I'm not in too much of a hurry. I want to enjoy every moment. Besides, with the latest game-breaking patch, I suppose it's in my interest to wait. Wink
Roland *The Gunslinger*
(12-01-2011, 11:22 PM)Drasca Wrote: There is an unofficial fix for resistences named the skyrim script extender SKSE
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/to...ry19565933

I might add that the fix works. Before I installed SKSE, my archer assassin was getting insta-fried by Alduin and my Nord s/s warrior getting insta-frozen by a frost dragon.
So, I couldn't help myself in looking up some armor mechanics. Some game mechanics spoilers are coming.

Code:
Armor has a cap at 567 rating.  Cap can be reached easily in heavy armor and without too much effort in light armor if you're a smith... even without a shield.
So anyone who likes to do some min / maxing but also cares about aesthetics doesn't have to feel compelled to wear the "best armor" if they're already over the cap.

Also "time to live" has accelerating return with armor value.  TTL over wearing no armor doesn't hit 2x (50% damage reduction) until you have over 300 armor (~320).  But additional armor starts dramatically increasing TTL:   3x  @ ~440, 4x @ ~520 and 5x at cap of 567, so going from 100 to 150 armor is much, much less beneficial than going from 500 to 550 armor.  It takes ~320 armor to get half reduction but the next half reduction comes with only 200 more armor.

Without cheese you can cap out dragonscale armor with max armor perks and a single decent +x% smithing item if you have the dragonscale smith perk and all the light armor +% perks.  A couple more +x% smithing items can apparently cap out elven armor.  Since elven is reachable with only 2 smithing perks, it's quite possibly the "best" armor choice in the long run from a pure stats standpoint.  Since almost any armor in the game can hit the armor cap, you can choose whatever you like aesthetically and still cap out damage reduction.  Armors without smithing perks are the notable exception (leather, studded, hide, and iron).  Others like scale, elven, glass, all the heavy armors are all fairly easy to cap if you get the smithing perk for that armor type and all the +% armor perks in your armor tree.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
(12-03-2011, 10:12 PM)Concillian Wrote: So, I couldn't help myself in looking up some armor mechanics. Some game mechanics spoilers are coming.

Thanks. Very useful information.
Still having a shield/2H to block with, specifically with the elemental blocking perk, should be useful, no?

Either way, it's very nice to know for my next toon (as this one is a BNM).
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
(12-04-2011, 07:01 PM)Frag Wrote: Still having a shield/2H to block with, specifically with the elemental blocking perk, should be useful, no?

I'm playing 2H, and I find block very useful, mainly for being able to block punt them (hold right button, then hit left) This does a mini stun and interrupts spellcasting. Anyone trying to do a power attack on you or cast, you can just pun them out of it, then you get a free attack. If you have summons or Lydia beating on them while you're doing this all the better.

I still have issues closing on something like a hagraven. I basically stealth for cover and shoot arrows poisoned with drain magicka to force her to close, but still generally take some fireball damage if I'm spotted.
Is anyone else having issues getting Skyrim to launch after 1.3?
(12-08-2011, 12:35 AM)Crushar Wrote: Is anyone else having issues getting Skyrim to launch after 1.3?

I have been playing in offline mode since 1.2 and have been reluctant to update. Frankly, I do not know what the patch purports to do. I am certainly missing out on achievements, but Steam would think I was cheating anyway since I frequently accidentally hit the tilde key when I mean to hit the Q key. (In Diablo, I was always hitting the Q key which brought up the quest log, blocked my view and often got me killed.) Old and slow fingers do not a great gamer make.
(12-08-2011, 12:35 AM)Crushar Wrote: Is anyone else having issues getting Skyrim to launch after 1.3?

Both Xbox and PC versions seem fine and happy. I don't have a PS3 to check that. Wink
Intolerant monkey.
I had such and issue after 1.12, the mini-patch against cracked .exe files.

Running the install routine off the disc fixed it for me. If you got the game via Steam, you have to choose Verify Cache option found in the game library section, I think.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
(12-08-2011, 01:32 AM)Thenryb Wrote: when I mean to hit the Q key. (In Diablo, I was always hitting the Q key which brought up the quest log, blocked my view and often got me killed.) Old and slow fingers do not a great gamer make.

Personally I like to game settings --> controls , and remap keys. Q is autorun for me, shift is sprint, y is favorites and g is quick magic menu. I like having most of my keys within easy reach of my fingers.
(12-08-2011, 01:32 AM)Thenryb Wrote: I am certainly missing out on achievements, but Steam would think I was cheating anyway since I frequently accidentally hit the tilde key when I mean to hit the Q key.

FYI, just hitting the tilde key isn't going to make you lose achievements. I used to do it every play session to do FOV 85 because changing the .ini files didn't seem to stick for some reason and I was still getting achieves.

I haven't had a chance to play but Skyrim has refused to launch on PC's running 64 bit Win7 since day 1 and most of it is related to Steam. I've got a post earlier in this thread where I had the issue (before 1.2) and turning off cloud sync in steam fixed it.

I think this solution will resolve most launch issues for folks though.

Browse to your steam file directory. Typically Program Files(x86)\Steam
Delete (or safer rename) the Clientregistry.blob file.
Close Steam (and end the process in task manager if necessary)
Re-open Steam
Launch Skyrim

---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
(12-08-2011, 01:38 PM)Drasca Wrote:
(12-08-2011, 01:32 AM)Thenryb Wrote: when I mean to hit the Q key. (In Diablo, I was always hitting the Q key which brought up the quest log, blocked my view and often got me killed.) Old and slow fingers do not a great gamer make.

Personally I like to game settings --> controls , and remap keys. Q is autorun for me, shift is sprint, y is favorites and g is quick magic menu. I like having most of my keys within easy reach of my fingers.

I should probably remap. The default key for sprint is alt I believe. I have a sword/shield type with the shield charge perk. This skill is activated when you have your shield up and are sprinting. It is REALLY awkward for me to hit the w and alt keys at the same time. I can only really do it using my thumb and index finger which puts the rest of my left hand out of play.
I love using my Logitech G13 gamepad for Skyrim, just like I did in WoW. I have mapped all of the necessary buttons to easily accessible locations on the gamepad. That gamepad is one of the best computer peripherals that I've bought in a long while!
-TheDragoon