So, Skyrim's out 11/11/11
(11-06-2011, 02:22 PM)Drasca Wrote: About disease, certain kinds will kill you but you keep on playing. . . And you can get cured if you really want to but a lot of players don't (want to). In fact they try to get these diseases on purpose and there are also variants to the disease.

Because of the diseases in Daggerfall, I would get cured of any and all diseases in Morrowind, Tribunal, Bloodmoon, Oblivion, Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles. So, no vampirism quests or werewolves for me. I keep thinking I should try them at least, but habit is hard to break. "You've been diseased *cure disease*"
Intolerant monkey.
(11-06-2011, 03:03 PM)Treesh Wrote:
(11-06-2011, 02:22 PM)Drasca Wrote: About disease, certain kinds will kill you but you keep on playing. . . And you can get cured if you really want to but a lot of players don't (want to). In fact they try to get these diseases on purpose and there are also variants to the disease.

Because of the diseases in Daggerfall, I would get cured of any and all diseases in Morrowind, Tribunal, Bloodmoon, Oblivion, Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles. So, no vampirism quests or werewolves for me. I keep thinking I should try them at least, but habit is hard to break. "You've been diseased *cure disease*"

Hehe subtlety is out the door. Since you've let loose the bagged cats, it's really really cool to turn vampire in Daggerfall. Moreso than other ones. You "die" but wake up in a mausoleum full of undead from inside a stone tomb / coffin. Nothing had better opening atmosphere for transforming. Even later games felt more lame. You eventually get word of antidotes but with free limited flights and much higher stats, you could even stack both vampire and werewolf. Crazy huh? But it was do-able with player choice.
(11-07-2011, 11:20 PM)Drasca Wrote: Hehe subtlety is out the door.

I never have been a very subtle person. =)
Intolerant monkey.
(11-07-2011, 11:20 PM)Drasca Wrote:
(11-06-2011, 03:03 PM)Treesh Wrote:

Hehe subtlety is out the door. Since you've let loose the bagged cats, it's really really cool to turn vampire in Daggerfall. Moreso than other ones. You "die" but wake up in a mausoleum full of undead from inside a stone tomb / coffin. Nothing had better opening atmosphere for transforming. Even later games felt more lame. You eventually get word of antidotes but with free limited flights and much higher stats, you could even stack both vampire and werewolf. Crazy huh? But it was do-able with player choice.
Being a werewolf in Bloodmoon was so very, very awesome. Much more so once you get to the point of having more control over it. I almost felt bad for the plague I'd become to the island.

Vampirism in Morrowind was not as much fun with all the negatives, but I did have fun with a very high level black leather clad vampiress leader of the mage guild with a cadre of male Imperial guard slaves.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Bought on Steam (decided if I wasn't going to drop $150 on the CE, I wasn't going to bother with a disc version). Pre-loaded it already, so when it unlocks just after midnight Thursday I'll be all set to start off. Smile

Sincerely hoping this is the one that hooks me for good on ES - previous iterations drew me in, but never kept me coming back. Little bit disappointed in the shift away from the alien world of Morrowind to the more mundane of Oblivion and Skyrim, but I'm all for the Norse styling, so there's that. Smile
Roland *The Gunslinger*
(11-10-2011, 01:57 AM)Roland Wrote: Bought on Steam (decided if I wasn't going to drop $150 on the CE, I wasn't going to bother with a disc version). Pre-loaded it already, so when it unlocks just after midnight Thursday I'll be all set to start off. :)

Sincerely hoping this is the one that hooks me for good on ES - previous iterations drew me in, but never kept me coming back. Little bit disappointed in the shift away from the alien world of Morrowind to the more mundane of Oblivion and Skyrim, but I'm all for the Norse styling, so there's that. :)
Have you looked into http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/ ?

It's been awhile, but I had it installed, and enjoyed it for awhile before that machine zonked out on me...

TES3 is so open ended, and with the Construction Kit, is is so very easy to add additional NPC's and quest lines.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

(11-10-2011, 02:16 AM)kandrathe Wrote: Have you looked into http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/ ?

It's been awhile, but I had it installed, and enjoyed it for awhile before that machine zonked out on me...

TES3 is so open ended, and with the Construction Kit, is is so very easy to add additional NPC's and quest lines.

Mostly for me it was the whole leveling aspect in both Morrowind and Oblivion that killed the game for me (although I still yearn to play through them both - more than once, potentially). I'd get so hung up on the idea of gimping my character that I never just PLAYED the game - too much anxiety, which led to too much min-maxing, which led to burnout. Fallout 3 has been very kind to me in that regard (and to think I only bought it, reluctantly, on a Steam sale). It's been very enjoyable to just run around shooting baddies, gaining XP, and eventually doing quests here and there. If Skyrim can combine those elements with everything else in the world of Tamriel, I'll be ecstatic.

One of these days I'm just going to start actually playing Morrowind again, and not care about my character so much as just having fun. Although, the insanely slow movement speed in Morrowind and Oblivion (if you don't take Athletics and Acrobatics) have always been a turn off. It doesn't help that I always want to play a Thief type character, and thus have difficulty trying to complete Mage and Fighter's Guild quests. Tongue
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Skyrim comes out tomorrow!

Who else is giddy with anticipation!

/raiseshand

-Z
Proud Co-Founder of the Widely Accepted and Raider™ Approved "FIPIA Strategy"

Zyn's You Tube Channel
(11-10-2011, 03:00 PM)Roland Wrote: Mostly for me it was the whole leveling aspect in both Morrowind and Oblivion that killed the game for me (although I still yearn to play through them both - more than once, potentially).
Well, yes, that is a little weird. For Oblivion I usually end up choosing major skills such that I don't level very fast, and have more control over leveling. My style is more to mod the game until its fun to play (better AI, better combat, better leveling, more balance, etc). I try to invent a history that fits with what the char is doing, such as, starts out a thief, gets lured into the dark brotherhood, but, then rejects that lifestyle, repents and goes for a more respectable career in either the Mages or the Fighters guild depending on basic skills. Or, the opposite of that, starting out innocent, and eventually getting darker, as one gets more powerful.

(11-10-2011, 05:00 PM)Zyn Wrote: Skyrim comes out tomorrow!

/raiseshand

-Z

I don't get giddy, but since I do work tonight, I'll be getting it over lunch.

Edit: Interesting to know that the keyboard shortcut for sending a message in Trillian is the same as the keyboard shortcut for posting on the lounge as well. =)
Intolerant monkey.

/raiseshand

-Z

I stopped into Gamestop to pick up some other stuff and tried to sweet-talk the cashier into giving me my PC copy early so I could get it loaded up. He looked horrified and said he could lose his job and get fined $25k or something. Pffft. I even offered to buy the disc protection!
(11-11-2011, 12:29 AM)RTM Wrote:

/raiseshand

-Z

I stopped into Gamestop to pick up some other stuff and tried to sweet-talk the cashier into giving me my PC copy early so I could get it loaded up. He looked horrified and said he could lose his job and get fined $25k or something. Pffft. I even offered to buy the disc protection!

Hehehe.

And, Bethesda emailed today letting folks know that yes, folks working retail can get Skyrim for the PC for free. I was only 20 points away (you have to watch videos, answer questions and refer other retail friends to earn points), but they added new videos and questions. Woot! So I technically own it right now! I just can't play it yet since it's not midnight. =D
Intolerant monkey.
(11-11-2011, 12:41 AM)Treesh Wrote: And, Bethesda emailed today letting folks know that yes, folks working retail can get Skyrim for the PC for free.

I work in retail. I insist that you explain this.
(11-11-2011, 04:37 AM)DeeBye Wrote:
(11-11-2011, 12:41 AM)Treesh Wrote: And, Bethesda emailed today letting folks know that yes, folks working retail can get Skyrim for the PC for free.

I work in retail. I insist that you explain this.

https://insiders.bethsoft.com/entry.php

If you work for Gamestop, Best Buy, Walmart or Target, you're eligible. So far I've gotten Brink, Hunted: The Demon Forge, RAGE, and Skyrim for free, all on the PC. I haven't bothered to get quite enough points yet to get Fallout New Vegas (on Xbox only) for free yet though. I've gotten enough games here to finish as it is. =) Basically, you earn XP by watching the videos, answering really simple questions (the majority of which are there on the page you're staring at although some are from blogs/links in their News bit), and referring retail friends via email.
Intolerant monkey.
(11-11-2011, 06:00 PM)Treesh Wrote: If you work for Gamestop, Best Buy, Walmart or Target, you're eligible.
Hmmm... My wife works for Target, in their headquarters, so not a retail employee. But, cool deal.

Well, 4 hours in and I'm loving the game. Already halfway to level 6, and am greatly enjoying the new game mechanics (Smithing) - being able to craft some basic armor, and more importantly improve my armor & weapons is a real plus, especially since I'm playing a Thief type character. Enjoying the skill Perks system, too - although it does put constraints on advancing your abilities somewhat. Definitely loving the bow & arrow combat, as always (it's so nice being able to put away a drawn arrow without having to shoot it into the ground!), and likewise for the sneaking & sneak attacks. The game world of course is gorgeous (although there's definitely texture popping going on, but maybe I can tweak that some), and the animations seem to be a bit of an improvement over Oblivion. All in all, I think this will be a vast improvement over Oblivion in many ways (although I still miss that alien world of Morrowind).

Looks like I'll be playing this one for a long time to come. Smile
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Saw this linked somewhere else first, but Joystiq has both videos in one post. Yay AI.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/11/wanted...in-skyrim/
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
(11-11-2011, 06:00 PM)Treesh Wrote: https://insiders.bethsoft.com/entry.php

If you work for Gamestop, Best Buy, Walmart or Target, you're eligible.

I don't work for any of those companies. Too bad.
(11-11-2011, 07:46 PM)Roland Wrote: Well, 4 hours in and I'm loving the game. Already halfway to level 6, and am greatly enjoying the new game mechanics (Smithing) - being able to craft some basic armor, and more importantly improve my armor & weapons is a real plus, especially since I'm playing a Thief type character. Enjoying the skill Perks system, too - although it does put constraints on advancing your abilities somewhat. Definitely loving the bow & arrow combat, as always (it's so nice being able to put away a drawn arrow without having to shoot it into the ground!), and likewise for the sneaking & sneak attacks. The game world of course is gorgeous (although there's definitely texture popping going on, but maybe I can tweak that some), and the animations seem to be a bit of an improvement over Oblivion. All in all, I think this will be a vast improvement over Oblivion in many ways (although I still miss that alien world of Morrowind).

Looks like I'll be playing this one for a long time to come. Smile

It doesn't feel like a TES game to me, even though I'm really enjoying it. CRAFTING! You have no idea how downright giddy I got when I opened up the manual and saw you could craft! So far, my levels have come from crafting and not really much else. =) Second character has been rolled up, but man do I hate the intro section and the fact that you just can't even skip the very, very first part where all you are doing is sitting and listening to NPCs drone on. Still, I can see me playing this just as much as the others. =)

Edit: Woohoo! You don't have to have an idiot fence to sell stolen things! It's back to Daggerfall rules - I can sell it right to the guy I stole it from. =D

Edit2: Not quite Daggerfall rules though. He bought some stuff back, but not all of it. This calls for more experimental thievery. *nodnodnod* I wonder if the stuff laying around is flagged differently than the stuff I grab out of his containers. Maybe that's the difference.
Intolerant monkey.
Hmmm... out today everywhere BUT rural North Dakota Tongue