1st class suggestions.
Lightbulb 
Looking for suggestions from people in the know on the best class type for the newb to start out playing. Little carpal tunnel syndrome in my left hand from my enhance years so a less spammy class might be nice.
(05-14-2012, 08:51 PM)Crushar Wrote: Looking for suggestions from people in the know on the best class type for the newb to start out playing. Little carpal tunnel syndrome in my left hand from my enhance years so a less spammy class might be nice.

Well, with only 4 skills to have on the left hand (plus an occasional potion here and there), it shouldn't be nearly as bad as enhancement. D3 seems to me to be insanely noob friendly. It automatically puts the skills you use the most on the mouse button (unless you check the box that lets you put skills wherever regardless of how they are categorized) and then your less frequently used skills on the keys you have set in your key bindings.

I'm hazarding a guess that for you Crush, it'd probably be barbarian or monk that will grab you. Those are the two melee classes. Monk is more nimble; barbarian is more of a SMASHY SMASHY type. Monk also has some heals and group skills (mantras that can boost damage or defense). I should warn you that the barbarian's skill resource (fury) works a lot like the warrior's rage in WoW; you start with it empty and have to fill it with fury generators before you can use some of your fancier skills, but it's not that difficult to generate fury. The monk starts with a full resource globe, uses some and generates more using other skills.

You can always just make one of each character class, play it for a little bit and see which feels right to you. The way the game is setup, you really do get a feel for the playstyles right away and you aren't limited by having to find gear that has mana and/or life steal before you can stop using a basic attack and are able to use your skills exclusively. It's designed to be able to use your skills right away.
Intolerant monkey.
I think this discussion can be cut short with this bit of info: the witch doctor can throw jars of spiders
(05-14-2012, 09:14 PM)RTM Wrote: I think this discussion can be cut short with this bit of info: the witch doctor can throw jars of spiders

LOL! Oh yeah?! Well, I see your jar of spiders and raise you a the monk can smash statues with his/her fists!
Intolerant monkey.
(05-14-2012, 09:17 PM)Treesh Wrote:
(05-14-2012, 09:14 PM)RTM Wrote: I think this discussion can be cut short with this bit of info: the witch doctor can throw jars of spiders

LOL! Oh yeah?! Well, I see your jar of spiders and raise you a the monk can smash statues with his/her fists!

I dunno Treesh. I want to play a monk myself, but it's hard to argue with jars of spiders...
(05-14-2012, 09:22 PM)Pesmerga Wrote:
(05-14-2012, 09:17 PM)Treesh Wrote:

I dunno Treesh. I want to play a monk myself, but it's hard to argue with jars of spiders...

And frogs. Don't forget frogs. Not jars of frogs though because that would just be silly. Wink
Intolerant monkey.
I only know Crush from WoW, so I'm going to attempt to relate the classes to those and see what it gets me for a recommendation.

Barbarian: Warrior, probably a two handed spec though maybe there are dual wield barbs? I've not heard of any yet so I'm going to say think of them as a 2 handed dps warrior except with still having the sturdiness of a tank. I've known Crush to play a warrior, but I recall it being a tank.

Monk: Enhancement shaman. Dual wield, some healing ability, pretty sturdy. I'd say it has some rogue tendencies with the speed aspect. So Enhancement shaman minus the totems and plus rogue speed.

Wizard: Mage/Warlock. I'd have said just the mage, but some of the meteor type spells remind me of the warlock. Plus there is the hydra option and such so some small warlock tendencies there. Not really a pet though so very strong mage comparison I would say.

Demon Hunter: Hunter without a pet. Obviously a demon hunter is stronger than that and has more abilities, but that is the general feel I get.

Witch Doctor: Troll warlock summoner. I specify troll because of all the weird things witch doctor's do. Throw jars of spiders. Summon a giant frog to eat enemies. Send out locust swarms. It's all very Troll feeling. Combine that with the warlock's summoning stuff and it's not too far off the idea.

I started this out thinking that I would recommend a Barbarian for him, but having typed that all I think I'm going to recommend a Monk. It feels like an enhancement shaman which I think Crush likes. I can see him really liking having the option to heal which he doesn't get with other classes. That said, I really wouldn't be surprised if he liked a barbarian and it does feel to me like it might play a little slower and so possibly be better for his wrists. I'm slightly swaying myself back to barb, but I'm going to stick with monk I think. My recommendation would be as follows.

Monk > Barbarian > Mage > Witch Doctor > Demon Hunter

Purely from my feeling for what Crush would enjoy not based off which class is actually better and with the Monk > Barb bit being a close call.

edit: Nobody saw me call a barb a bard... *whistles innocently*
(05-14-2012, 10:26 PM)swirly Wrote: Purely from my feeling for what Crush would enjoy not based of which class is actually better

I think that's really the best way to approach it. I don't think there is a class that's better than others. Frag will probably beg to differ on that, but he goes deeper into funky mechanics and whatnot than I do. =) Playing through all the characters to 13 in the beta, it really does feel more like it's just purely what type of play you want rather than one character being much stronger or weaker than another. Of course, this may change when you get to the higher difficulties, but I still think it's a matter of playstyle rather than a character being much better than another. I really REALLY hope that they stick by what Jay has some in some interviews about not wanting to make PvP into an e-sport so they don't have to constantly rebalance PvE skills because they are vastly imbalanced in PvP.
Intolerant monkey.
(05-14-2012, 09:10 PM)Treesh Wrote: The monk starts with a full resource globe, uses some and generates more using other skills.

AFAIK this is inaccurate. His resource globe starts as empty as the Barbarian's, unless I'm really mis-remembering from the Beta. The difference is that his doesn't degenerate like the Barbarian's does.

Not knowing what Crushar might be looking for, I'd have to concur that both Monk and Barbarian would probably be best suited for minimal spamming. I should think it would be easier to hold down the mouse button rather than constantly clicking for those two classes, as (almost) everything you'll be targeting will be within melee range (rather than having to click all over the screen for ranged attacks). Again, though, I don't know his preference - just my thoughts based upon physical comfort.

(05-14-2012, 10:26 PM)swirly Wrote: Barbarian: Warrior, probably a two handed spec though maybe there are dual wield barbs? I've not heard of any yet so I'm going to say think of them as a 2 handed dps warrior except with still having the sturdiness of a tank. I've known Crush to play a warrior, but I recall it being a tank.

Dual-wield Barbs were all you saw in Beta, although that was mostly because Scythes (1H Mighty Weapons) gave the most possible DPS in the Beta. That said, I'm sure you'll see plenty of variety in retail, but dual-wielding I think will be the most DPS oriented. Barbs can be designed as VERY tanky with their selection of active and passive skills, so think of them as taking some of the abilities of the Paladin and Barbarian of old and combining them.

(05-14-2012, 10:26 PM)swirly Wrote: Monk: Enhancement shaman. Dual wield, some healing ability, pretty sturdy. I'd say it has some rogue tendencies with the speed aspect. So Enhancement shaman minus the totems and plus rogue speed.

Wizard: Mage/Warlock. I'd have said just the mage, but some of the meteor type spells remind me of the warlock. Plus there is the hydra option and such so some small warlock tendencies there. Not really a pet though so very strong mage comparison I would say.

Demon Hunter: Hunter without a pet. Obviously a demon hunter is stronger than that and has more abilities, but that is the general feel I get.

Pretty much, although the DH does get several pet options (Raven / Wolf / Spider / Bear / ???, as well as Sentry) - if you spec into that.

(05-14-2012, 10:26 PM)swirly Wrote: Witch Doctor: Troll warlock summoner. I specify troll because of all the weird things witch doctor's do. Throw jars of spiders. Summon a giant frog to eat enemies. Send out locust swarms. It's all very Troll feeling. Combine that with the warlock's summoning stuff and it's not too far off the idea.

Yeah, couldn't agree more.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
(05-14-2012, 10:54 PM)Roland Wrote:
(05-14-2012, 09:10 PM)Treesh Wrote: The monk starts with a full resource globe, uses some and generates more using other skills.

AFAIK this is inaccurate. His resource globe starts as empty as the Barbarian's, unless I'm really mis-remembering from the Beta. The difference is that his doesn't degenerate like the Barbarian's does.

You're misremembering. In beta, the only character who started with an empty globe was the barb.
Intolerant monkey.
Thanks for the input. I have decidedto try ......... Monk first. My wife hates spiders. Cya all later tonight. Feel a cold coming on but fortunatel my calendar at work is strangely empty.
(05-14-2012, 11:06 PM)Treesh Wrote: You're misremembering. In beta, the only character who started with an empty globe was the barb.

Fair enough. Admittedly that makes more sense.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
As far as left-hand stuff: the only thing I'm using my left hand for is to press control to modify mouse clicks for the 2 trio of keybinds.

So, my binds in beta were: (default/mine)

right/left unchanged
1 = middle
2/3/4 control-left/right/middle

I was used to this from WoW, as I used modifier macros on my keybinds, and I used <key> clicks as one of my things when healing with clique.

So, since I'll always have my mouse in my hand in D3, I just made it so I can touch control on the corner of my keyboard when I need to, rather than 1234.
YMMV, of course.

As far as classes, they're all going to be clicky.
--Mav
I will play all classes - but DH will be my first, and the class I focus on all the way to 60 before I start playing the others.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)