I'm a bit down.
Quote:Highlander

I only really liked the first and third movies in this series. The second, even the Renegade version, was too lame of a story for me. And the fourth.... Just don't go there.

Quote:Any of the Indiana Jones movies

I thought while the 4th flick had lots of action, it lacked the suspense and feeling you get when Indy solves a cool puzzle moments of the previous installments. Overall, I'd say it was a decent movie, but a crappy Indy movie.

Quote:The first three Star Wars movies

Now why does everybody say this? I personally loved the last three prequels, although they were honestly nothing at all like their predecessors. I just watched the story and got into it; if you watch all 6-movies and think about it really as Anakins story, its a very intriguing story and I really hope that when George releases the 6-disc anthology, he adds in scenes showing what Anakin (Vader) was doing and thinking during Epi. 4-6. I guess I find Anakins character to be quite intriguing. One thing I really enjoy about the newer made flicks is the lightsabre duesl, and I'm sorry to say, but the lightsabre duel between Obi-Wan and Vader in A New Hope was quite cheesy; I loved the lightsabre duel when the jedi confront the emperor in epi. 3.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:El Mariachi (and sequels)

What was the version called that Quintin Taritino did?

Quote: or Big Trouble in Little China?

A great and fun-action flick to be sure. A classic.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Hi,

Quote:I only really liked the first and third movies in this series. The second, even the Renegade version, was too lame of a story for me. And the fourth.... Just don't go there.
Sorry, should have made myself clear. I only recommend the original Highlander, none of the sequels.

Quote:I thought while the 4th flick had lots of action, it lacked the suspense and feeling you get when Indy solves a cool puzzle moments of the previous installments. Overall, I'd say it was a decent movie, but a crappy Indy movie.
Haven't seen the fourth yet, it just slipped my mind.

Quote:Now why does everybody say this? I personally loved the last three prequels, although they were honestly nothing at all like their predecessors.
Because they were nothing at all like their predecessors?;) I usually don't go to a Chinese restaurant for tacos.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:What about Equilibrium, El Mariachi (and sequels) or Big Trouble in Little China?

Oooh, Equilibrium! I did a thread about that movie awhile back.

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index...topic=8380 (images are still there even)

It has everything I love in a movie. Great acting, tons of action, emotion, slightly sci-fi, and intelligent.
Quote:What was the version called that Quintin Taritino did?
Desperado

"Your beer tastes like piss!"
"That's because we piss in it!"

Cheers,
~FragB)

Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Quote: "The Usual Suspects".
Hell yes. Angel, if you haven't seen The Usual Suspects, you've missed a gem.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:if you haven't seen The Usual Suspects, you've missed a gem.
And if you replace the "The Usual Suspects" in that sentence with the name of pretty much any Kevin Spacey movie, it's still true.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Quote:And if you replace the "The Usual Suspects" in that sentence with the name of pretty much any Kevin Spacey movie, it's still true.

Good point, especially LA Confidential, Glengarry Glenn Ross, and American Beauty. Stellar movies. (And nothing like one another.)

-Jester
Quote:What about Equilibrium, El Mariachi (and sequels) or Big Trouble in Little China?
Big Trouble In Little China is on my guilty pleasures list, although everyone else I know seems to hate it. But, I have other John Carpenter films on my guilty pleasures list as well (Escape from New York, The Thing, Christine). I don't think people understand him very well.

Then again, I go on jags where I need to see the best of Frankenheimer films, then contrast with a similar selection from Akira Kurosawa.

Frankenheimer
Ronin
Andersonville
The Manchurian Candidate
Birdman of Alcatraz
French Connection II
Grand Prix

Kurosawa
Kagemusha
Ran
Yojimbo
Rashomon
Tengoku to jigoku
Shichinin no samurai (The Seven Samurai)

If you like good stories and breathtaking cinematography, the works of Yimou Zhang blow me away.

Man cheng jin dai huang jin jia (The Curse of the Golden Flower)
Shi mian mai fu (House of Flying Daggers)
Ying xiong (Hero)

Then, if you are in a lighter mood, I'd recommend "Kung Fu Hustle" made by Stephen Chow (who also directed CJ7 mentioned earlier).

And, there is no need to say that if you haven't seen "Wo hu cang long" (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon), then you should see that one. That movie, along with "Yin shi nan nu" (Eat Drink Man Woman) brought Ang Lee to the inner circle of great directors. Too bad Hollywood has him though.

As long as I'm listing some of my foreign film favorites, I might as well mention Pedro Almodavar. I was introduced to him by the film "¡Átame!", but then I checked out his other work and found it quirky, interesting, and unique.

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:If you like good stories and breathtaking cinematography, the works of Yimou Zhang blow me away.

Man cheng jin dai huang jin jia (The Curse of the Golden Flower)
Shi mian mai fu (House of Flying Daggers)
Ying xiong (Hero)
100% agreement. Besides the more intellectual values, Man cheng jin dai huang jin jia's visuals still occasionally float into my mind and take my breath away. The very essence of the story is so specifically mirrored by the backdrops and vistas as to be telling a second tale alongside the more audible one.

Good call, Kan,
~Frag:D
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Quote:I always get a bit of a "Hell yeah!" feeling when I watch any of the Riddick movies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0296572/
Have you seen "Heat" by Micheal Mann? It is one of the most intense action films I've seen and the shoot out is the best example of covering / suppressing fire (evasion under fire called a "Center Peel") I've seen in a film. It has a good plot and story as well.

For a good laugh, check out; Halo 3 - The Predator Scene.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:I always get a bit of a "Hell yeah!" feeling when I watch any of the Riddick movies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0296572/

I have to admit that I like Pitch Black more than Chronicles. Chronicles is a good time if you like chase-them-down, beat-them-up, blow-it-up movies (and I think we all need that sort of thing every once and a while) but I think the character development of Pitch Black was more successful as a story telling element than the loose string of action scenes in Chronicles. I was also exceptionally let down by the ending it leaves you imagining too much about where our anti-hero goes from here. I want a complete movie. If I want to think about what happens next, I'll read a book.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
Quote:I have to admit that I like Pitch Black more than Chronicles. Chronicles is a good time if you like chase-them-down, beat-them-up, blow-it-up movies (and I think we all need that sort of thing every once and a while) but I think the character development of Pitch Black was more successful as a story telling element than the loose string of action scenes in Chronicles. I was also exceptionally let down by the ending it leaves you imagining too much about where our anti-hero goes from here. I want a complete movie. If I want to think about what happens next, I'll read a book.
Chronicles was a better constructed movie, but it lost the flavor of Pitch Black in the Hollywood homogenization machine. Same with Robert Rodriguez's "El Mariachi" and Desperado. The Hollywood version was a better quality, but most of the flavor was boiled out of it.

Quote:Legend of NIM
Did you mean The Secret of NIMH? You seem to go for that kind of movie with your other choices. I couldn't find anything on Legend of NIM.
Hi,

Quote:Did you mean The Secret of NIMH? You seem to go for that kind of movie with your other choices. I couldn't find anything on Legend of NIM.
Right you are, and thank you. That's what I get for relying on my meat memory:)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Glengarry Glenn Ross

-Jester

Yeah, too bad it has nothing to actually do with real estate in real life.:P

Also, K-Pax was terrible. But he has made a few good ones.
Currently a PoE junkie. Wheeeeee
Quote:Have you seen "Heat" by Micheal Mann? It is one of the most intense action films I've seen and the shoot out is the best example of covering / suppressing fire (evasion under fire called a "Center Peel") I've seen in a film. It has a good plot and story as well.

Scene[/url].

This movie wrecked hong kong cinema and most other action movies for me. It's really had to go back to watching movies with no concept of magazine capacity, physics, or any attempt at realism after watching something so well done. Also, Ronin gets a good nod in this capacity. Deniro rocked, up until a few years ago.
Currently a PoE junkie. Wheeeeee
You Don't Mess with the Zohan. Cheesy, yes. Funny, YES!
Terenus: (Horde)
Kosch -- Shammy lvl 74
Kramm -- Rogue lvl 70
Xentha -- Dark Knight lvl 55

Doomhammer: (Alliance)
Ganalon Mage Lvl 60
Quote:Yeah, too bad it has nothing to actually do with real estate in real life.:P

Wait... you mean...

Coffee isn't just for closers?

-Jester
Quote:Wait... you mean...

Coffee isn't just for closers?

-Jester
Nope, as this overcaffeinated rogue can attest. One of many things wrong with that film, for all that was right in it.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete