I'm a bit down.
In 2005 some friends and I went to the movies and saw a film called "Crash" (linkie), and although the movie is by no means a masterpiece, we all genuinely enjoyed it and thought it was a very moving piece of narrative.

[Image: crash.jpg]

Tonight I saw the movie a second time (this time on DVD), and I was equally amazed at the quality of storytelling and characterisation that the movie has to offer. I realised at one particular scene in the beginning of the movie that I actually *cared* about the characters. As the intertwining stories of the Los Angeles-residents unfold, I was thoroughly moved by the characters in the movie.

As a little aside, although I enjoyed movies as a child, I grew to despise them during my adolenscence, finding television to be a superior method of storytelling and characterisation due primarily to the extended time with which you get to know the characters, their motives, personalities and emotions. A 2-hour Mc-narrative could never match a fully fledged 4-5 season television series, where characters were carefully construed on a weekly basis and thus much more fleshed out than in a given movie. 90s-shows like NYPD Blue and Murder One (and even Buffy the Vampire Slayer to a certain extent) paved the way for the truly memorable Deadwood, The Wire, and most of all, The Sopranos.

So when it comes to movies, having perfected the art of cynicism to a tee has left me embittered, disappointed and frustrated by the sheer level of incompetence that's demonstrated every day on the silver screen. It is then a veritable monsoon of fresh air when I sit down and enjoy a two-hour flick that actually manages to move as well as entertain. Having just experienced one such movie, I feel a bit down (cue thread title). Sure, I can watch through the whole of The Sopranos for the umpteenth time (and I will), but I find it slightly depressing that there's a multi-billion dollar industry in Hollywood that keeps churning out wagon-fulls of #$%&. Is it that difficult telling a story that actually makes us feel something; to show us a character we actually have some general sympathy with?

I'd love to be the kind of guy who likes to see movies for the simple reason that there's always a new one coming out, but those I actually like are so few and far between, it's easier just popping in old favourites (such as Crash or Falling Down) than trying to sit through a new piece of trash.

So in short; do you have any good movies you'd like to recommend? I'd like to avoid the Schindler's Lists and the Million Dollar Baby-type of movies, which are just too excruciatingly depressing. Any tips?
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
I would offer a not so heavy movie like "Fairytale: A True Story", which is based on a true story.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Any time i'm in that position I bust out my dvds of Sports Night. Probably the most under-rated show ever.

As far as movies would go, check out The Prestige.
Quote:Angel' date='Nov 7 2008, 03:51 PM' post='157114']

-- snip --

So in short; do you have any good movies you'd like to recommend? I'd like to avoid the Schindler's Lists and the Million Dollar Baby-type of movies, which are just too excruciatingly depressing. Any tips?

If you don't mind subtitles, or if you speak chinese, check out "CJ7" (the american release title was CJ7, YTMV). Written by, directed by, and co-starring Stephen Chow (Shaolin Soccer and Kung-Fu Hustle). The story focusses on the relationship between a father and son, and you have to look past the cheesy moments but I was impressed by the sudden serious moment near the end that is somehow not quite out of place. Or maybe I'm just a sentimental new father.

Spoiler: check the DVD special features for a revelation about the chlid actors in most of the parts.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
Hi,

Quote:So in short; do you have any good movies you'd like to recommend?
Too hard a question. Depends on what types you like and what mood you're in. Just a few I enjoy:

Lion in Winter (and watch it right after Becket)
Fried Green Tomatoes
13th Warrior
Highlander
Legend of NIM
Fantasia
Any of the Indiana Jones movies
Any of the Bruce Lee movies
Most of the Disney animations of classic fairy tales
The first three Star Wars movies
Alien
Predator
First Blood
Matrix
Almost any musical
All three films based on Cornelius Ryan's work

OK, that's all that comes to mind right now. My tapes and DVDs are still packed from the last move, or I'd look them over and throw a few more names into the pot.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:As far as movieswould go, check out The Prestige.

I loved The Prestige. I watched it 3 times before I realised David Bowie was Tesla :o
My usual recommendation is any of the works of Stanley Kubrick. However, since you specifically asked for not-depressing (all his are, every last one), let's try something more whimsical.

Anything by Hayao Miazaki. Spirited Away, for a start.

Having heard the name of Steven Chow earlier in the thread, I'll second that endorsement: Shaolin Soccer and Kung-fu Hustle are some of the best times I've had watching movies, in a non-intellectual sense. Shockingly strong character development, given that the characters are almost all hilarious parodies rather than tragic heroes.

Old Sergio Leone westerns are usually good. Once Upon a Time in the West is probably the strongest, but the Dollars trilogy is also classic.

In the same vein yet not, Kurosawa is a must-see. Rashomon for the classic, but Ikiru for a modern tale of human empathy and heartless bureaucracy that will bore you to tears, but move you at the same time.

-Jester
Quote:Is it that difficult telling a story that actually makes us feel something; to show us a character we actually have some general sympathy with?
Who and what we connect with is individual, so the kind of movies we enjoy will be different even if there is some overlap.

Movies by/with Stephen Chow are definitely worth watching if you like humour and good storytelling. I've yet to find CJ7 anywhere though, so I can't comment on that specific movie.

Pitch Black has a story to tell and a couple of interesting characters for the story to happen to. Fairly standard monster movie otherwise.

I can watch almost any martial arts movie as long as it has a) interesting stunts/wire-fu,B)a display of actual skill, c) a good story, d) really outrageous abilities or e) lots of humour. Kung Pow: Enter the Fist fits into the last category, being an older Hong Kong flick with edited/added scenes (mostly to alter the protagonist) and a new sound track.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Double post, meh.
Quote:Kung Pow: Enter the Fist fits into the last category, being an older Hong Kong flick with edited/added scenes (mostly to alter the protagonist) and a new sound track.

Whoa black betty! Ah-shamalama.
Debbie Does Dallas

and

Debbie Does Dallas II.

Brilliant plotting, nuanced characterizations, wardrobe to die for.

Occhi

(Riiiiiiiiiiiight)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Hi,
Too hard a question. Depends on what types you like and what mood you're in. Just a few I enjoy:

Lion in Winter (and watch it right after Becket)
Fried Green Tomatoes
13th Warrior
Highlander
Legend of NIM
Fantasia
Any of the Indiana Jones movies
Any of the Bruce Lee movies
Most of the Disney animations of classic fairy tales
The first three Star Wars movies
Alien
Predator
First Blood
Matrix
Almost any musical
All three films based on Cornelius Ryan's work

OK, that's all that comes to mind right now. My tapes and DVDs are still packed from the last move, or I'd look them over and throw a few more names into the pot.

--Pete
... and Bladerunner.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

I always get a bit of a "Hell yeah!" feeling when I watch any of the Riddick movies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0296572/
I always thought anyone who watched Crash would like 11:14 , one of my favorite movies of recent memory. There's even a discussion thread about 11:14 v. Crash in the imdb chat section. Many different stories running concurrently, but it all comes together in the end.
Quote:Debbie Does Dallas

and

Debbie Does Dallas II.

Brilliant plotting, nuanced characterizations, wardrobe to die for.

Occhi
(Riiiiiiiiiiiight)
You forgot "award-winning soundtrack"

My taste in movies is a bit scitzophrenic. On the one hand, I like to think that I'm intelligent enough to appreciate something with a bit more depth than the average Chuck Norris/Van Damme lame-a-thon. On the other hand, I've tried my best to appreciate some of the 'classics' of American cinema. I just didn't like the style of Blade Runner. It's driven more by atmosphere than plot, and to such a degree that I find it just slightly boring. Apocaplypse Now was just a big yawn from start to finish. I started watching 2001: A space odyssey on Bluray and I turned it off an hour in because I still didn't know any of the characters.

I do appreciate mindless action, if only it has a bit of 'mind' to it. I enjoyed The Rock because of Ed Harris' character, and I also liked the strained relationship between Denzel and Hackman in Crimson Tide. Die Hard is always enjoyable. But the level of enjoyment that these types of movies inspire is dwarfed by the emotional resonance and the overall experience of enjoying a good drama.

Still haven't seen Godfather yet, but I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to hate it for two reasons: 1. My history with great classics isn't actually encouraring and 2. I don't see how it could be as good as The Sopranos (which, ultimately, would be the only thing to compare it with).

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll have a look for some of them!:)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Hi,

Quote:Angel' date='Nov 8 2008, 09:07 AM' post='157203']But the level of enjoyment that these types of movies inspire is dwarfed by the emotional resonance and the overall experience of enjoying a good drama.
A good critic is a good asset. I like this guy and often base my choices on his discussion. You just need to find one that shares your tastes. And the hunt can be fun.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Ok. Try "The City of Lost Children" or "The Usual Suspects".

I usually look for directors and screenwriters I like. One of the best character actor films I've ever seen was "12 Angry Men". 1 set, no special effects, just dialog.

Quote:Hi,
A good critic is a good asset. I like this guy and often base my choices on his discussion. You just need to find one that shares your tastes. And the hunt can be fun.

--Pete

I almost always agree with James Berardinelli. YMMV.

(Of course, his opinion about the new star wars movies is crazy, and he thinks Patton is the awesomest movie ever. But nobody's perfect.)

-Jester
Quote:I do appreciate mindless action, if only it has a bit of 'mind' to it.
What about Equilibrium, El Mariachi (and sequels) or Big Trouble in Little China?
Just saw Traitor thisevening at the dollar theatre and was very impressed with the development. I truly didn't know which way the development would go and by the end was so engrossed I found myself sitting up and clapping, much to the consternation of the pension-drawers around me.:blush:

Might fit your criteria Angel, good luck!
~FragB)
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.