Palpatine in '08
Quote:But my question was how common this is. Do most Americans perceive this as normal practice?
Given that it so rarely happens, most Americans are willing to deal with it as it arises. We have fifty states.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:First post, second post, 5,000th post makes no difference. Every post should get treated the same way.
No. I treat each post as it comes, some with derision, some with a laugh, some with a "hmmm" and some with "oh, Van wrote it, there is a joke in there somewhere."

Quote:My feelings in regard to this thread is that it is perfectly fine. The original post was "Just a little election day humor for the lounge.", but if you make a post about voting/elections even in humor then I don't think it is off topic for the thread to venture into more serious discussions about it.
I second your notion.
Quote:The lounge is a harsh place. People are supposed to lurk first and get a feel for how people post and respond before posting. So if a person posts and replies that are made make them feel recalcitrant then my feeling is that they didn't take enough time to prepare themselves. Anybody who reads the lounge should quickly get the understanding that no post is safe. Everything posted will get analyzed, discussed, and argued about.
And that's with rules, and decent moderators and admins.;)
Quote: As I said, I think the replies here are fine. In fact I hope they continue despite your protest. I am rather enjoying the thread.
It's mildly interesting, though Lochnar's remark on the hoopla over race versus demonstrated talent is well placed. On the bright side, the electee gets to demonstrate how fast of a learner he is, and if he like other presidents can grow into the hardest job in the world.

He will do well, badly, or somewhere in between.

Get some popcorn and soda, it'll be a hell of a show.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:No. I treat each post as it comes, some with derision, some with a laugh, some with a "hmmm" and some with "oh, Van wrote it, there is a joke in there somewhere." . . . . EDIT: ... and some with a "Van wrote it and he doesn't know WTF he's on about"
I have been summoned. I await thy command.

No, I don't do that. . . Nor that. Except with the wife on alternate fifth Fridays.

In fact, never mind about the whole command thing.

Ah, but there is something... I've been waiting, because this was not newthreadworthy.

Quote:NEWS ITEM: Severed feet with shoes attached have been washing up on shore in western Canada.

Authorities do not know why.

Last week the sixth foot appeared.
*cue camera*

VAN: So, now that the authorities have found six feet, they may find it easier to fathom.

*cut to audience reaction, insert laugh track*

VAN: Yes, folks, I'm here all week. And all weeks.

Followup:

Canadians and Europeans and other ferners may not get the above, so I'll add a bonus - I'll translate the above news item in terms they can understand:

Quote:NEWS ITEM: 1.8 metres have washed ashore in Canada.
nyuk nyuk

-V
Quote:Followup:

Canadians and Europeans and other ferners may not get the above, so I'll add a bonus - I'll translate the above news item in terms they can understand:
nyuk nyuk

-V
You will note that the laugh metre is pegged at 0 on the translation.;)

Nice to see you delurk. Let us watch with some care the collection of crooks collected by the Chicago presidential electee. There's that old adage from Mom: "Who you hang with reflects on you."

My suggestion for Secretary of State: Elizabeth Ray.

(Not everyone is old enough for that joke . . . )

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:You will note that the laugh metre is pegged at 0 on the translation.;)

Nice to see you delurk. Let us watch with some care the collection of crooks collected by the Chicago presidential electee. There's that old adage from Mom: "Who you hang with reflects on you."

My suggestion for Secretary of State: Elizabeth Ray.

(Not everyone is old enough for that joke . . . )

Occhi
I, for one, am old enough. It may be appropriate-a Secretary of State probably need not know how to type.
Quote: Let us watch with some care the collection of crooks collected by the Chicago presidential electee.
Should I be reading something between the lines, here?

:lol:
Sense and courtesy are never common
Don't try to have the last word. You might get it. - Lazarus Long
Quote:Here's a video for the Star Wars fans, not sure how old it is so sorry if it's been posted previously.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/a863be2b6...s-from-fod-team

Just a little election day humor for the lounge.

Yeah. I don;t know what went on after the first couple posts, but I offer something similar to the thread's start. Command and Conquer fans probably already know that Red Alert 3 is the latest release from EA in the RTS genre, and they took the opportunity to poke fun at political ads while promoting their game's characters.

For your amusement: President Ackerman's bid for re-election
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
Quote:Yeah. I don;t know what went on after the first couple posts, but I offer something similar to the thread's start. Command and Conquer fans probably already know that Red Alert 3 is the latest release from EA in the RTS genre, and they took the opportunity to poke fun at political ads while promoting their game's characters.

For your amusement: President Ackerman's bid for re-election
Thanks, I enjoyed that. :D

Occhi
In Memory of Pete