costs too much?!
Today I fired up an old D2 character, an amazon, she was left sitting in the Pandemonium Fortress in Hell last time I was playing. Just messing about, and finding that I've lost all sense of caution for playing this game. Kept getting mobbed by multiple bosses because I was in too much of a hurry. Fun in any event.

But then I stopped to see what the smith had for sale. Big hunk of armor, over 1600 defense, cool, I think I might have a Barb around who would enjoy that. Cost was somewhat over 4.1 Million. Wait a minute, that's not fair! No character can actually hold that much gold in inventory! In the past I remember running across things I could not afford (due to sheer poverty), but never anything that was impossible to buy. Seems a little harsh.

Ah well, back to the woodworking shop tomorrow, the shellac will be dry by then.

Krishta, the impoverished amazon.
Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User
(04-22-2013, 01:51 AM)krishta Wrote: Today I fired up an old D2 character, an amazon, she was left sitting in the Pandemonium Fortress in Hell last time I was playing. Just messing about, and finding that I've lost all sense of caution for playing this game. Kept getting mobbed by multiple bosses because I was in too much of a hurry. Fun in any event.

But then I stopped to see what the smith had for sale. Big hunk of armor, over 1600 defense, cool, I think I might have a Barb around who would enjoy that. Cost was somewhat over 4.1 Million. Wait a minute, that's not fair! No character can actually hold that much gold in inventory! In the past I remember running across things I could not afford (due to sheer poverty), but never anything that was impossible to buy. Seems a little harsh.

Ah well, back to the woodworking shop tomorrow, the shellac will be dry by then.

Krishta, the impoverished amazon.

A level 99 character can hold 2.5 million in the stash, and 900 thousand on his/her person for a grand total of 3.4 million gold. I'll assume you're playing the expansion because I don't think there are any magic armors in Classic with that high of defense. If you were to have a unique Gheed's grand charm with 15% reduced vendor prices, as well as an Edge runeword bow, then vendor prices would be reduced by 30%! This would reduce the 4.1 million price tag by about 1,230,000 gold. 4.1m - 1.23m = 2.87m. Obviously you could pull this off with a worse Gheeds (in fact the worst, 10%) and still be able to purchase the armor so long as you also had an Edge.
That's a lot of money.
Stay awhile and listen!