This is what's wrong with the news these days.
Don't read to much into it; you'll hurt yourself :lol: .
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(09-19-2013, 10:19 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
(09-19-2013, 09:21 PM)Kevin Wrote: You can get a fair number of Food Network shows on the free version of Hulu, though I don't know how that works outside the US.
I'm just very confused by the specialty channels programming in general. Why does the Military channel host shows on "Jesus:The Missing Years" -- unless he was like in Jump school, or BUDS? Why does the History channel have so many shows on aliens? Like if aliens are history, this is transformational news for the planet.

They show aliens on the History channel? I rarely watch it, so I had no idea. But I guess this is confirmation as to why I do not watch it much, lol. Perhaps the "Ahistorical Channel" would be a more suitable name for it.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
(09-19-2013, 11:55 PM)FireIceTalon Wrote: Perhaps the "Ahistorical Channel" would be a more suitable name for it.
It not just me who has noticed. :-)

http://www.cracked.com/funny-5720-the-history-channel/
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Harsh. But funny as hell.

Axemen - "well, at least the trees are old". Buhahhaahahahahaha.

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
(09-19-2013, 04:56 AM)Taem Wrote: I can't help you with the Food Network; they don't stream anything on their website - I just checked.

However with most sports, you can watch them live on the internet in full HDMI, and even choose your camera angle, fyi. At least I can with American NFL and all Soccer. Not sure about other sports.

Streaming HD TV through the internet in Canada is just not possible for my family. We have monthly bandwidth caps. I could pay more for a higher cap that would allow it, but it's actually cheaper for me to just pay for digital cable. I get about 700 channels (obviously not all in HD, and most of them are dupes) with my cable TV package. We also have 3 TVs and 3 family members that watch different shows. Cable TV can handle this.
(09-19-2013, 10:19 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
(09-19-2013, 09:21 PM)Kevin Wrote: You can get a fair number of Food Network shows on the free version of Hulu, though I don't know how that works outside the US.
I'm just very confused by the specialty channels programming in general. Why does the Military channel host shows on "Jesus:The Missing Years" -- unless he was like in Jump school, or BUDS? Why does the History channel have so many shows on aliens? Like if aliens are history, this is transformational news for the planet.

The History Channel has declined so much in recent years, as have a few of my other previously watched channels. Of course I haven't paid for TV in over 5 years now. The answer is pretty similar to the one that explains why the "news" channels pretty much all suck as well. Ratings. OK Money. But it's ratings that if you know what you are doing that can get you money. Stuff I like seems to not get good ratings. I've accepted I'm in the minority in a lot of my views, especially for the area I live in. So I try to find things elsewhere.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
What's wrong with the news?
Nothing.
It reports on people, places and things.

Go to the root cause. Ask what's wrong with people.

If you want to get a line on the "kill a bunch of people because I am whacked out" take a look at the clock tower shooter at the University of Texas, 1966.
There is no template. Each one goes whacko in that person's own particular way.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
(09-19-2013, 07:12 AM)eppie Wrote: By the wat, what's up with MTV. 7, 8 years ago when I flipped channels I saw some music video's once in a while.....now they don't do that anymore. Is that because people watch music video's on youtube nowadays? MTV has actually gotten even more crap than it was a few years ago.

It's a pattern not limited to MTV, but MTV is the most noticeable and biggest example.

It looks to me when a specialty channel starts out, it usually does what it promises. At least for a while. 'The Caber Toss Channel, all day everyday 24/7 caber toss station!'. They're specialized.

Over time, they seem to lose concentration (pun intended) and starts to treat specialized\focused content as a negative.

'The Learning Channel' hasn't shown any 'Learning' content for quite a while. I think they now show mostly creepy children beauty pageants, octuplet families 'documentary' , and the latest Ashton Kutcher movies or something.

But if you want the original focused content, you can subscribe to 'fill in the blank' Plus!

EG: You want the Caber Tossing Channel to watch -just-caber tossing? Then you need the Caber Toss Channel Plus. Which is usually on a higher tier\separate subscription.

The now regular Caber Toss Channel doesn't actually have much of caber tossing. It does seem to have more reruns of NCIS, CSI (both Miami and NY), and a bunch of infomercials at night however.

*The Caber Toss Channel AFAIK doesn't exist. Which is the -real- news here! The absence of such a channel is an ongoing travesty.
Weird. The forum thread list tells me that there is only 1 reply to this thread and that the last one was yesterday by Hammerskjold. Neither is true, but I don't see any other threads falsely reported.

Hmmm, I also see more posts listed below this edit that don't appear when reading the actual thread.

(09-21-2013, 06:06 AM)LochnarITB Wrote: Weird. The forum thread list tells me that there is only 1 reply to this thread and that the last one was yesterday by Hammerskjold. Neither is true, but I don't see any other threads falsely reported.

Hmmm, I also see more posts listed below this edit that don't appear when reading the actual thread.

Pulling up the thread doesn't show this last post either even though the forum thread list went to 2 replies and lists me having posted.

I broke the Lounge again. Huh Sad

----------------------------------------------

Yay! It fixed itself.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(09-21-2013, 06:06 AM)LochnarITB Wrote: Weird. The forum thread list tells me that there is only 1 reply to this thread and that the last one was yesterday by Hammerskjold. Neither is true, but I don't see any other threads falsely reported.

Pulling up the thread doesn't show this last post either even though the forum thread list went to 2 replies and lists me having posted.

I broke the Lounge again. Huh Sad

----------------------------------------------

Yay! It fixed itself.
I was thinking maybe when you replied to yourself, it was like putting a portable hole into your bag of holding.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

For the record, Lochnar's not insane* - I've been messing with the database lately for server optimization and he likely accessed things at just the wrong moment.

* nah, he's insane.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(09-24-2013, 04:41 PM)Bolty Wrote: For the record, Lochnar's not insane* - I've been messing with the database lately for server optimization and he likely accessed things at just the wrong moment.

* nah, he's insane.

Heart you too, Bolty. Wink
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
This is what's wrong with the news today:

[Image: Rupert_Murdoch_-_WEF_Davos_2007.jpg]
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
I disagree. While Rupert Murdoch is certainly no friend of mine, or of the working class in general, it is a great oversimplification to blame the problems of the media on a single individual. This is the same ahistorical error that many historians make when they say Hitler caused WW2. You are giving him way too much credit, not to mention subscribing to so-called 'Great Man' theories of history, which in general, are bullshit.

(09-25-2013, 12:20 AM)FireIceTalon Wrote: I disagree. While Rupert Murdoch is certainly no friend of mine, or of the working class in general, it is a great oversimplification to blame the problems of the media on a single individual. This is the same ahistorical error that many historians make when they say Hitler caused WW2. You are giving him way too much credit, not to mention subscribing to so-called 'Great Man' theories of history, which in general, are bullshit.

Are you familiar with metonymy?

-Jester
Yes.

But even if he is using Murdoch as a metonym for something else (I'm not sure exactly what, perhaps old, straight wealthy white men would be my guess), I would still be inclined to disagree since it is a half-truth that uses too much identity politics as a focal point for explanation.

(09-25-2013, 12:24 AM)Jester Wrote:
(09-25-2013, 12:20 AM)FireIceTalon Wrote: I disagree. While Rupert Murdoch is certainly no friend of mine, or of the working class in general, it is a great oversimplification to blame the problems of the media on a single individual. This is the same ahistorical error that many historians make when they say Hitler caused WW2. You are giving him way too much credit, not to mention subscribing to so-called 'Great Man' theories of history, which in general, are bullshit.

Are you familiar with metonymy?

-Jester
What does the 21st Century Fox say?

(09-25-2013, 03:18 AM)kandrathe Wrote: What does the 21st Century Fox say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsdCGQbbd8k
Quote:While Rupert Murdoch is certainly no friend of mine, or of the working class in general, it is a great oversimplification to blame the problems of the media on a single individual.

Here in Australia, Rupert Murdoch IS the media. Which is why you have front page articles in national newspapers that are [his] opinion pieces.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
(09-25-2013, 07:14 AM)LennyLen Wrote:
Quote:While Rupert Murdoch is certainly no friend of mine, or of the working class in general, it is a great oversimplification to blame the problems of the media on a single individual.

Here in Australia, Rupert Murdoch IS the media. Which is why you have front page articles in national newspapers that are [his] opinion pieces.
What does Murdoch think about your new prime minister?