This is what's wrong with the news these days.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/16/us/20-dead...index.html

Quote:(CNN) -- Here is a list of the 20 deadliest mass shootings in U.S. history from 1965 to the present. If the shooter was killed or committed suicide during the incident that death is not included in the total.

Am I the only one that sees how ridiculous and dangerous this article is?
Ah, the western media machine. Home of propaganda, half truths, social engineering, manipulation of public opinion, mythology, and in general.....bullshit.

Nope, you aren't.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
(09-17-2013, 03:56 AM)DeeBye Wrote: http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/16/us/20-dead...index.html

Quote:(CNN) -- Here is a list of the 20 deadliest mass shootings in U.S. history from 1965 to the present. If the shooter was killed or committed suicide during the incident that death is not included in the total.

Am I the only one that sees how ridiculous and dangerous this article is?

Don't know but I personally don't see the issue. I guess what you mean is that you think lists like this will trigger others to do the same?
I don't really think so. Pushing someone over the edge is a different thing......and every small issue can push people over the edge, but to do something like this (mass killing) you have serious problems.

After checking the newspapers I see a different point that is much more dangerous.

After the Boston bombings it became clear that the Russians had already tipped of the US security agency's about the 2 bombers.
Now we see that this guy in Washington bought his firearms legally but, had already been arrested, not once but, several times for weapon related crimes. I understand that lone wolves who some attack like this are not easily stopped before doing their crime, but here we have two cases where I have the feeling that more could have been done. Especially because lots of money is spend to invade the privacy of American (and foreign) citizens by the NSa for example. To me this says that safety against terrorist attacks is not the reason that the NSA wants to know everything we email.
(09-17-2013, 03:56 AM)DeeBye Wrote: Am I the only one that sees how ridiculous and dangerous this article is?
Do you mean the next insane person who will try for 33? But, then again, the US is small potatoes compared to Breivik, or state organized mass murder. Or is it that the news focuses on marketing incidents, rather than on general crime? Or, is it that mass murder rampages are worse than serial murder? Or was it that Nidal's jihadist terrorism is classified as a work place shooting? Or, maybe that they've had to span over 50 years of history to come up with 20 heinous incidents like this, while every week more bodies of youth are gunned down on our streets? It seems like the media has developed a script for events now. Out of control fires... pull out the natural disaster coverage folder. Shooting incident... Pull out the 3 weeks of grueling news analysis plan.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(09-17-2013, 07:30 AM)eppie Wrote: Now we see that this guy in Washington bought his firearms legally but, had already been arrested, not once but, several times for weapon related crimes. I understand that lone wolves who some attack like this are not easily stopped before doing their crime, but here we have two cases where I have the feeling that more could have been done.
I believe the two incidents were separated by time and distance. Neither was elevated to a felony. I'm not sure if charges were even filed in either case. One, he shot out the tires of a truck parked in his driveway. The other, he claimed that his gun accidentally discharged. And, it turns out it just happened to discharge in a way that just missed a women in the apartment below him in which he had a dispute.

We have the benefit of hind sight.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

(09-17-2013, 02:23 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I believe the two incidents were separated by time and distance. Neither was elevated to a felony. I'm not sure if charges were even filed in either case. One, he shot out the tires of a truck parked in his driveway. The other, he claimed that his gun accidentally discharged. And, it turns out it just happened to discharge in a way that just missed a women in the apartment below him in which he had a dispute.

We have the benefit of hind sight.

Of course but you should quote everything I wrote. I understand it is easy to judge after things have happened but my complaints are with organizations as the NSA who spy on everyone the can BECAUSE it helps prevent mass murders......at least that is what they tell us. If you then see they are so careless with people from who they know they have terrorist ties or affinities (Boston) or are gun crazy (Washington).

If you are not willing or able to act once you have factors which make people suspect, than please stop spying on us.

Or, as I asked before, does the NSA want to find out other things about us??
(09-17-2013, 03:51 PM)eppie Wrote: Or, as I asked before, does the NSA want to find out other things about us??
Yes. I think the scariest scenario is that it is more like "Brazil" the movie, where they type into the computer the data they have and the computer algorithms crunch through all the data and algorithms and finds the "suspect" and known accomplices.

It's coming out now that this Alexis guy had some mental health issues, which is again obvious in hind sight. The best questions I've seen are regarding how this guy could become vetted to work in this secure location. Not that shooting a bunch of people in the car park would be any better, but something about his work environment set him off.

(09-17-2013, 01:48 PM)kandrathe Wrote: It seems like the media has developed a script for events now. Out of control fires... pull out the natural disaster coverage folder. Shooting incident... Pull out the 3 weeks of grueling news analysis plan.

That's exactly why I hate this type of "news". I just want to puke my guts out when I see a tragic event happen and then all of the various news channels rush to come up with a suitable shocking title and theme music when they report on it, like it's some sort of continuing serial drama.

And yeah, these "top 20" lists are dangerous. Mentally unhinged people do not need a goal to shoot for so they can get top billing on CNN.

CNN's qualification, "If the shooter was killed or committed suicide during the incident that death is not included in the total." is just irresponsible. It's like they are adding an achievement for making the list.
Capitalism is indifferent, at best, to morality, ethics, or justice.

The only responsibility is to generate a profit - and in our culture, violence sells, which is why we see so much of it regardless of whatever media outlet you choose to watch. They are all owned by a handful of corporations that can never have their pockets fat enough.

But in general, I agree that this article is a bit on the disturbing side even by mainstream media standards. They are almost glorifying it or making it a contest to see who can rack up the most kills like in a video game or something. Pretty sick really.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
(09-18-2013, 03:50 AM)DeeBye Wrote: That's exactly why I hate this type of "news". I just want to puke my guts out when I see a tragic event happen and then all of the various news channels rush to come up with a suitable shocking title and theme music when they report on it, like it's some sort of continuing serial drama.

I agree.

(09-18-2013, 03:50 AM)DeeBye Wrote: And yeah, these "top 20" lists are dangerous. Mentally unhinged people do not need a goal to shoot for so they can get top billing on CNN.

I think this is a bit of a 'blame the TV' situation. Something old people and the christian right would say.
Anyway, there is a lot of criticism on TV possible (I also have it). I personally get very upset with the millions of people wasting their life by watching reality shows, all the singing, dancing, farting contests with 'normal' people or c grade celebrities. I don't know who to get upset with more. The people who make the crap, the people who are in it, or the people who watch it, but this is a different thing.
Jon Stewart gets it right again. http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-d...-coverage/

I don't have cable at all. My family and I watch one half hour anime while we eat *if* there's not too much homework, and we're all okay with that. I'd never pay for something that tells ME what to watch, and when to watch it. In this day and age, I have no idea why people bother with cable at all. Anyway, my main reply was going to be regarding your stance on reality t.v., because one of my families favorite shows is Survivor, which is classified as a reality show, albeit a game show, but still reality t.v. We will watch this friday nights (thats all the t.v. we watch in an entire week). So my point is I think you should narrow your focus on "reality" t.v. to exclude game shows, unless you also despise Amazing Race or Survivor, which are qusi-drama/game show mixes.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(09-18-2013, 07:03 AM)eppie Wrote: I think this is a bit of a 'blame the TV' situation. Something old people and the christian right would say.

I'm not blaming TV, or even the media in general. Don't get me wrong. I specifically said "news". CNN purports itself as a news media outlet, so I expect it to act like one.

(09-18-2013, 05:12 PM)Taem Wrote: In this day and age, I have no idea why people bother with cable at all.

I like my cable TV, because without it I could not watch my beloved Maple Leafs or Blue Jays lose games in hilarious fashion. I also like the Food Network.

Edit: and I like BBC for Top Gear
I can't help you with the Food Network; they don't stream anything on their website - I just checked.

However with most sports, you can watch them live on the internet in full HDMI, and even choose your camera angle, fyi. At least I can with American NFL and all Soccer. Not sure about other sports.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(09-19-2013, 02:58 AM)DeeBye Wrote: I'm not blaming TV, or even the media in general. Don't get me wrong. I specifically said "news". CNN purports itself as a news media outlet, so I expect it to act like one.

Sorry, yes I agree with that. I also don't see the serious news values of these lists.

(09-18-2013, 05:12 PM)Taem Wrote: In this day and age, I have no idea why people bother with cable at all.

(09-19-2013, 02:58 AM)DeeBye Wrote: I like my cable TV, because without it I could not watch my beloved Maple Leafs or Blue Jays lose games in hilarious fashion. I also like the Food Network.

Edit: and I like BBC for Top Gear
We recently moved from Sweden to Holland again, and I always have the basic package of channels (around 25 different ones, some belgian, some english, discovery etc.) the great thing we have now is comedy central....I love that. Especially because in the evenings we are to tired to watch good movies these 30 minute comedies are great.

By the wat, what's up with MTV. 7, 8 years ago when I flipped channels I saw some music video's once in a while.....now they don't do that anymore. Is that because people watch music video's on youtube nowadays? MTV has actually gotten even more crap than it was a few years ago.
(09-18-2013, 07:03 AM)eppie Wrote: I think this is a bit of a 'blame the TV' situation. Something old people and the christian right would say.

So, you don't like the opinions of "old people"?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
(09-19-2013, 10:00 AM)Alram Wrote:

So, you don't like the opinions of "old people"?

No, did I say that?
I think that when people blame the TV for all kinds of social issues they are incorrect.
But you are right, not all old people blame TV. Next time I will add a percentage when I make these kind of statement.
I heard it was his use of violent video games.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/291997-a...-into-gun/

Because, you know, elves like shotguns.

(09-19-2013, 04:56 AM)Taem Wrote: I can't help you with the Food Network; they don't stream anything on their website - I just checked.

However with most sports, you can watch them live on the internet in full HDMI, and even choose your camera angle, fyi. At least I can with American NFL and all Soccer. Not sure about other sports.

You can get a fair number of Food Network shows on the free version of Hulu, though I don't know how that works outside the US.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
(09-19-2013, 09:21 PM)Kevin Wrote: You can get a fair number of Food Network shows on the free version of Hulu, though I don't know how that works outside the US.
I'm just very confused by the specialty channels programming in general. Why does the Military channel host shows on "Jesus:The Missing Years" -- unless he was like in Jump school, or BUDS? Why does the History channel have so many shows on aliens? Like if aliens are history, this is transformational news for the planet.