Surprised at no Splash Page Discussion
I've been lurking around this site for a long long time. Generally every time a thought about Diablo enters my mind, I pop over here to see how things are going. Granted I know Bolty started playing WoW, and there is the Lurker guild and such, but I'm really surprised that on day 3 of the big Blizzard tease this year, there is not a single thread about it on LL.

What's going on? I count on you guys to give me interesting things to read and ponder on in the Blizzard universe, especially as it relates to Diablo.
I'm enjoying listening to the theories, but not really participating in them. I'll wait it out.

Blizzard's been quite clever at giving incomplete hints that lead to false conclusions this time.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote:I've been lurking around this site for a long long time. Generally every time a thought about Diablo enters my mind, I pop over here to see how things are going. Granted I know Bolty started playing WoW, and there is the Lurker guild and such, but I'm really surprised that on day 3 of the big Blizzard tease this year, there is not a single thread about it on LL.

What's going on? I count on you guys to give me interesting things to read and ponder on in the Blizzard universe, especially as it relates to Diablo.

Wrath of the Lich King Beta announcement imho.

Edit: Bolty sux. Tal for prez!
And so far, the three runes you can see behind the ice are:

A Protoss symbol
A symbol from Frostmourne
And a "hel" rune from Diablo

Doesn't exactly narrow it down.:D
Quote:Doesn't exactly narrow it down.:D

new IP. Sum up the three old, then usher in the new addition.
Quote:new IP. Sum up the three old, then usher in the new addition.

That would honestly be my desired result, but I make no conclusions:P
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote:I've been lurking around this site for a long long time. Generally every time a thought about Diablo enters my mind, I pop over here to see how things are going. Granted I know Bolty started playing WoW, and there is the Lurker guild and such, but I'm really surprised that on day 3 of the big Blizzard tease this year, there is not a single thread about it on LL.

It's too early to tell based on the few hints and rumors. But, my speculation is that they've begun planning and hiring for a "Next-Gen MMO" for a Diablo 3 universe. One of their job posting for their "Top Secret" project requires knowledge of game physics/collision programming and familiarity with Havok, Ageia, and O.D.E. physics packages. The type of engine being implemented in Starcraft II.

The basis of my speculation is that Diablo is the franchise that has not been fed recently, and rather than see it starve and die they had best nurture it. The Warcraft franchise has had an inordinate amount of attention and success, Starcraft itself was wildly successful, and now finally SCII is nearly released (probably Nov/Dec 2008). So, my bet is that it's time to get all the Diablo fanboi's salivating for the new steaming pile of mayhem.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

It is going to be great.
The error occurred on line -1.
Are you suggesting a possible World of GhostDiabloCraft ? :blink:
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
Quote:Are you suggesting a possible World of GhostDiabloCraft ? :blink:

I'd really love for the announcement to be Diablo 3, but I would be crushed if it we're Diablo 3 the MMO. That's not to say I don't like MMO's, but I think Diablos strength was in its ability to allow multiplayered games with scalable difficulty. Let us play with 1 - 10 of our friends, and make a pay for additional content model that can support the game, and new content being added to it over the next 5-7 years.

Quote:I'd really love for the announcement to be Diablo 3, but I would be crushed if it we're Diablo 3 the MMO. That's not to say I don't like MMO's, but I think Diablos strength was in its ability to allow multiplayered games with scalable difficulty. Let us play with 1 - 10 of our friends, and make a pay for additional content model that can support the game, and new content being added to it over the next 5-7 years.
The package software model is going the way of the dinosaur. Like the crocodile, you will find them once in awhile. Especially for the under 10 year old crowd. The prospect of developing a game that is housed on a central server with one version to control, where people pay monthly for the right to login to play it is so far more compelling. There are more people with money who use the internet socially, than introverted ones that hack on Diablo solo in mom's basement. {not implying Diablo players all live in mom's basement} For group play 2-10, well they discovered in WOW that 10 people is the sweet spot for group organizations too. Trying to coordinate a meeting repeatedly and getting a large (say 40) similiarly outfitted/geared group is beyond the organizational skills of even some medium sized corporations.

And, as a consumer of the game, I enjoy having new content arrive in my game almost weekly. The video game designers are truly moving closer to the realm of the traditional entertainment media companies. We have yet to realize the entire potential of the internet, but gaming and interactive gaming is one arena that is starting to embrace some innovative change.

Yes, they will still sell the shrink wrapped game for $30-$50 with some bling bling, and eye candy and most importantly the CDkey. I think over time the trend will be to lower the initial barrier to entry as they earn back their investment in developing the game and underlaying engines.

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

I totally get the economic model of the MMO, and the online content management aspect of it as well. I think there is a happy medium somewhere between Guildwars and your typical MMO though. I don't mind the monthly fee, and an automated (forced) download of client side updates. I am an avid MMO guy, I've (sic)literally played them all, and I think that is why I really hope to see the D2 concept of "the whole world is an instance" being pushed forward.

Let me and my guildmates have a chat channel, then let us start 1 or more instances of the game that suit us for that night. Not being forced to interact with everyone else in the MMO sense is what I'm looking for here.
Quote:I totally get the economic model of the MMO, and the online content management aspect of it as well. I think there is a happy medium somewhere between Guildwars and your typical MMO though. I don't mind the monthly fee, and an automated (forced) download of client side updates. I am an avid MMO guy, I've (sic)literally played them all, and I think that is why I really hope to see the D2 concept of "the whole world is an instance" being pushed forward.

Let me and my guildmates have a chat channel, then let us start 1 or more instances of the game that suit us for that night. Not being forced to interact with everyone else in the MMO sense is what I'm looking for here.
I understand your desire to do your own thing. I've arranged my chat options so the "stupid" channels are essentially squelched unless I need to use them. The main chat channel I look at is one populated with like minded intelligent non-trolls. Other than that, hopefully Blizzard continues with the PVP as an option route rather than a PVP only world. There are sometimes you just want to go from point A to point B without getting ganked and corpse camped. When moving around town all the other toons are no issue, only when competing for limited essential resources does the MMO world truly sucketh.

I came across an article yesterday that suggests that WoW was originally going to be free but ad-supported. Knowing what we know now, it would have made WAY less money for them. Maybe they've tweaked the formula and have figured out how to apply it to Diablo? Mythos seems to be going that route; at least, there are no plans to charge for it that I've heard of.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the evil penguin artwork hidden away on the splash page is the work of Travis Thammer, who did a lot of concept work for WarCraft 3 (Goblins, Undead, and the Night Elf buildings). He's also currently involved in concept work for some Zerg units for SC2.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
A new rune is reported to look similar to the death knight's frost rune, I read?

Combine that with a rumor on wowinsider that Blizzard might plan to release the Death Knight (and whatever is needed to support it) early, unlockable only by those that have pre-ordered WotLK, and some kind of WotLK beta + early-DK availability could be the big news.
Jormuttar is Soo Fat...
Quote:A new rune is reported to look similar to the death knight's frost rune, I read?

Combine that with a rumor on wowinsider that Blizzard might plan to release the Death Knight (and whatever is needed to support it) early, unlockable only by those that have pre-ordered WotLK, and some kind of WotLK beta + early-DK availability could be the big news.

There's 5 runes up there now.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
I guess I'm old and crusty. Hype just doesn't interest me anymore. If you follow it too closely, you just get disappointed in the end.

"Man, what is Bolty going to be like when he grows up?"
"Pete."

If it's Diablo III, we're all forgetting the most interesting part of it: the previous Diablo games were made by "Blizzard North," the acquired Condor entertainment company. That element of Blizzard doesn't exist anymore, having years ago broken up and many of its members forming Flagship Studios (especially that Bill Roper guy). This Diablo game would likely be radically different from its predecessors (MMO, obviously a possibility). I would not expect a Diablo III in spirit; more in name only. Blizzard after all owns the rights to the name, so they can do anything they want with it.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
It's Diablo III.

http://www.blizzard.com/us/splash.html
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Quote:It's Diablo III.

http://www.blizzard.com/us/splash.html

I was going to say I could not get in, but finally I did. Where is the preorder link? And are the chickens server side? In the Diablo universe all the wheels are round. I never did get this Warcraft stuff. Speaking of which I saw a character named Cleoboltra yesterday in Shattrath wearing Rageborn tags.

I don't know the details behind the Blizzard North folks leaving other than something about an ultimatum that was not accepted. I don't know the extent of any hard feelings. If Blizzard wanted any of the Flagship people back they could certainly afford it.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."