Biofuel
Quote:Hail MEAT, fellow Santa Barbarian!

And how are you. I thought I was the only one on these boards. I actually live in Summerland, but nobody knows where that is, and everybody knows where Santa Barbara is. When I traveled to Australia on vacation once and people asked where I was from, I told them Santa Barbara and they immediately knew where I was from. As you are aware of, I'm sure, the only downfall to S.B. being so well known is on Friday in the Summer heading North, traffic starts right on the Summerland hill up till Milpas and will set you back a good 20-min+, and on Sunday heading South from Milpas all the way to the end of Carpinteria. I try and avoid the freeway these times of the day. Oh yeah, and anytime during Fiesta or the Film Festival, or any festival for that matter. I'm just glad they're finally widening the freeway from Milpas to Mills road, however I doubt this will have any impact on the traffic, as it will still drop to two lanes near the Summerland hill anyways.

Quote:[picture of barbarian Santa Claus]
Heh.

FYI, there's never even a hint of snow in S.B.; as a matter of fact, the temperature never goes above 90 or below 70 for the most part all year round, but I'm sure you already knew that. Very rarely, there are some anomalies, but these are few and far between.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Right, but they are still arguing with the State of California on a petro-diesel to bio-diesel ratio. So, for now USA is still 95% petro-diesel.

I've taken a good look at all of my options; my goal was to save money not the environment, as noble as that may be. For this endeavor, I'd have to purchase a diesel car capable of running on vegetable oil; not all diesels can run on vegetable oil. Here are my options so far:

1) Going with SVO, I'll need a secondary heating chamber hooked onto my car to heat the SVO to the proper temperature before starting. There are two problems I see with this: A) SVO costs more $ than gasoline currently,B)The engine modification kits will cost money.

2) Since I work in restaurants, getting WVO would be no problem, thus nullifying the cost of SVO, however now I have the cost of transesterification (much cheaper than gasoline) and I have to learn how to become a chemist. So far the better of the two options for my IMO.

3) Get a secondary heating chamber hooked onto my car to heat the filtered WVO to the proper temperature before starting. Now I save on the cost of SVO and transesterification, but I would need to purchase the engine modification kit for my car. But here's the catch-22 of this method: water, which could end up cost me much more than the amount saved on gas in the long run! So the cheapest method is not necessarily the best.

Given the current line-up, I've chosen to remain with my Mustang GT until I talk to someone in person whom runs their car on bio-diesel. Until then...
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Heh.

FYI, there's never even a hint of snow in S.B.; as a matter of fact, the temperature never goes above 90 or below 70 for the most part all year round, but I'm sure you already knew that. Very rarely, there are some anomalies, but these are few and far between.
Yeah, I knew that.:) My wifes parents live around there. I took a summer off during my college years to surf Rincon and hang out on the beaches with my then fiance.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:And how are you. I thought I was the only one on these boards. I actually live in Summerland, but nobody knows where that is, and everybody knows where Santa Barbara is. When I traveled to Australia on vacation once and people asked where I was from, I told them Santa Barbara and they immediately knew where I was from. As you are aware of, I'm sure, the only downfall to S.B. being so well known is on Friday in the Summer heading North, traffic starts right on the Summerland hill up till Milpas and will set you back a good 20-min+, and on Sunday heading South from Milpas all the way to the end of Carpinteria. I try and avoid the freeway these times of the day. Oh yeah, and anytime during Fiesta or the Film Festival, or any festival for that matter. I'm just glad they're finally widening the freeway from Milpas to Mills road, however I doubt this will have any impact on the traffic, as it will still drop to two lanes near the Summerland hill anyways.
Heh.
Actually, I live in No-leta. :D

Deal with the traffic everyday, as my job takes me to beautiful sunny downtown Oxnard, daily. Right now, CalTrans is only working on a 1.5 mile stretch from Milpas to Hot Springs Rd. $46 million and 4 years, gogo tax dollars at work. :blink:
Sense and courtesy are never common
Don't try to have the last word. You might get it. - Lazarus Long