April quotes
4/22/2008

If ignorant both of your enemy and yourself, you are certain to be in peril.
Sun Tzu
Quote:So why is that admirable in Winston Churchill but not in Hillary Clinton?
Jim Valvono seems to have been admired for it as well.

Quote:Certainly you should never give up when outsiders are visiting violence among the people you love. Never give up against the Nazis, or any authoritarian rule. And there are other righteous causes against horrible things -- slavery, apartheid, British rule, no-jeans-at-work policies -- that should be fought without faltering.
The Nazis? The year is 2008.
Quote:But at some point, "not giving up" is just hardheadedness. At what point does it change? I think that unfortunately, there's no definitive answer. Also, like beauty, it's subjective. If Hillary were my candidate because she was the only one advocating something dear to me, I would want her to continue trying to win and her struggle would be a valiant one. However, those not in that category would see this as hardheaded ambition gone unchecked. Which is it really?
Not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. Calvin Coolidge's well worn comments on persistence would fit in here.
Quote:I think the barometer in this case is whether she is helping her causes by continuing. Pick an issue -- let's see -- how about health care. She should look at whether continuing on is just hurting the party by turning people off to both Democandidates. If fighting Obama increases McCain's chances, that is going against the cause, and then it would be hardheadedness that makes her continue.
Hillary is in this to win, which is correct. No point in her being in this race just to pass the time. (Ron Paul joke expected.) Back to Cal Coolidge and persistence.
Quote:Aside: Of course, it may help Obama in the long run to get some adversity now rather than getting swiftboated. Or, getting crap early may give time for a label to stick and fester. Right now, the term "elitist" is being tacked on. That one will probably stick -- after all, Obama graduated Harvard Law (with some distinction that I can't remember), and can't bowl very well.
He too is in it to win, as he should be. Hillary isn't owed the nomination, she'll need to get it the old fashioned way: she needs to earn it. (Likewise with Obama, should he earn the nom.)

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
There is a point at which even justice does injury. – Sophocles
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:The Nazis? The year is 2008.
Churchill: "We shall fight at the beaches ... we will never give up."

Those were NAZIS he was fighting, the particular type of Axis that was most vicious and most local to Churchill.

It was Churchill's quote about not giving up.

Therefore:

Nazis.

QED.

Sheesh, stop being so nit-picky, you've overdone it and stepped on a valid comment. A bit over-eager for the attack, aintcha?

-V
Quote:Sheesh, stop being so nit-picky, you've overdone it and stepped on a valid comment.
This is why I wear loafers. No knotsies.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:Sheesh, stop being so nit-picky, you've overdone it and stepped on a valid comment. A bit over-eager for the attack, aintcha?

-V
No.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Do not impose on others what you yourself do not desire.
Confucius
Quote:Do not impose on others what you yourself do not desire.
Confucius
Sorry, pal, that is a less compelling thought than the following:

Do not unto others as you would not have them do unto you.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Do unto others, then split.

Love thy neighbor as thyself.

Kill that sumbitch before he kills you. (Self preservation.)

The prime mover of interest is self interest. All else tends to follow.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Hello :w00t:

When it comes to War/Killing, WE [Occhi/Patton & my good self] think alike...your quote is one of my Favorite Patton quotes :wub:

Quote:[Image: patton.jpg] "No Bastard ever won a war by Dying for his Country.
He won it by Making the other poor dumb bastard Die for his Country."

General George S. Patton Quotes
Quote:Was Patton the Sparta King Leonidas in one of his Past lives?

My men don't surrender, and I don't want to hear of any soldier under my command being captured unless he has been hit. Even if you are hit, you can still fight back. That's not just bull #$%& either.

The kind of man that I want in my command is just like the lieutenant in Libya, who, with a Luger against his chest, jerked off his helmet, swept the gun aside with one hand, and busted the hell out of the Kraut with his helmet. Then he jumped on the gun and went out and killed another German before they knew what the hell was coming off. And, all of that time, this man had a bullet through a lung. There was a real man!

Quote:Kill that sumbitch before he kills you. (Self preservation.)

Occhi

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
4/28/2008

If you raise your children to feel that they can accomplish any goal or task they decide upon, you will have succeeded as a parent and you will have given your children the greatest of all blessings.
Brian Tracy
Quote:4/28/2008

If you raise your children to feel that they can accomplish any goal or task they decide upon, you will have succeeded as a parent and you will have given your children the greatest of all blessings.
Brian Tracy
"Parent who is afraid to put down foot usually has child who steps on toes" -- Chinese Proverb

Hi,

White men Love their Dogs and Beat their Children...this is Not the Our way - American Indian :wub:

Never raise your hand to your children; it leaves your midsection unprotected. - Robert Orben :P

Quote:"Parent who is afraid to put down foot usually has child who steps on toes" -- Chinese Proverb

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
Quote:Hi,

White men Love their Dogs and Beat their Children...this is Not the Our way - American Indian :wub:

Never raise your hand to your children; it leaves your midsection unprotected. - Robert Orben :P
Children are God's way of granting our parents sweet revenge. :whistling: (my own)

Children get spoiled because you can't spank grandparents. -- anonymous--

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Children are God's way of granting our parents sweet revenge. :whistling: (my own)

Children get spoiled because you can't spank grandparents. -- anonymous--

Occhi
"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it." -- Harry S. Truman

4/29/2008

Characters do not change. Opinions alter, but characters are only developed.
Benjamin Disraeli
4/30/2008

All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.

Buddha
Hi,

Quote:Buddha
"Never underestimate how much assistance, how much satisfaction, how much soul and transcendence there might be in a well-made taco and a cold bottle of beer." Tom Robbins

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?