February Thoughts of the Day
2/1/2008
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what
dies inside us while we live."

- Norman Cousins (1915-1990, American Editor, Humanitarian, Author)

Quote:"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what

Hmm, well, from what I hear, if you're quick about it, the hamster doesn't have to die.

...and they're not that expensive to replace anyway... so I hear ...

-NotMe
Really

(or is it gerbils? hmm)
Quote:Hmm, well, from what I hear, if you're quick about it, the hamster doesn't have to die.

...and they're not that expensive to replace anyway... so I hear ...

-NotMe
Really

(or is it gerbils? hmm)
Gerbils, according to most urban legends.

I will also knows that a coward dies a thousand deaths, the brave man but once.

That's where all of those zombies come from.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:2/1/2008
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what

- Norman Cousins (1915-1990, American Editor, Humanitarian, Author)

I like this one. Serves to remind us that we should not fear death, and that we should use the time we have to stand up for our beliefs and dreams.
Quote:(or is it gerbils? hmm)

Annnddd it went there. :whistling:

As far as the actual quote goes, when it comes to death its a black and white issue. There's no coming back from death, no retreiving that loss.

On the other hand, hopes, dreams - whats inside - can be dusted off, repaired and put back into motion. That is, as long as you're not dead yet.

I don't disagree with the message to not let dreams die, etc. But to compare it to death? I don't buy it.

Cheers,

Munk
Quote:I don't disagree with the message to not let dreams die, etc. But to compare it to death? I don't buy it.

To my mind, I think the message is that to have a life not worth living is a greater loss than living a full and good life, and dying afterwords.

To a person of faith, death isn't an end at all. So death has no sting. But to throw away the opportunities and gifts we have in this earthly life is a great loss.

To an atheist, I imagine death is the end, but some things survive us when we depart the earth, like the deeds we have done, the differences we have made. So there too, perhaps being full of life, and not "dying in spirit," is a way to take away death's sting.
Quote:Gerbils, according to most urban legends.

According to South Park, frogs, fish and sparrows as well.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
2/3/2008

No substitute has ever yet been discovered for honesty

Orison Swett Marden - Early pioneer of personal development
"Words are dwarfs, deeds are giants." -- Swiss Proverb

Congrats New York!
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:Gerbils, according to most urban legends.

I guess I got it wrong.

BTW... do you think the pet store accepts used hamsters??

Just curious.

Never mind. It's moot.

Actually, I think maybe I'm confusing two urban legends -- one involving cardboard tubes and another involving duct tape.

There is a related story about the guy who enjoyed compressed air. I remember it as a true story. I won't sully this board further by describing it. I guess my point is that some weirdness is not legend.

-Still NotMe
Quote:According to South Park, frogs, fish and sparrows as well.

...and Paris Hilton, if we're talking the same thing.

Quote:"Words are dwarfs, deeds are giants." -- Swiss Proverb

Congrats New York!

yeah, that was a great game. I was rooting for a close one, and I got it. I also like that nobody has gone 19-0. Of course what I don't like is hearing from Giants fans for a whole year.

That was one great catch near the end, where the Giant trapped the ball with one hand against his helmet but was able to get both hands on it as he was being tackled.

How refreshing that the game was not decided by close calls or controversial penalties. I think it's a little hardball sometimes if they're reviewing whether the guy leaving the field has actually left before the snap, but rules is rules.

The commercials IMO weren't as good as last year's. Many were just stupid, like the sales contacts site (the panda/bamboo was one). I liked the balloon commercial for Coke, finally Charlie Brown wins at something. I also liked the Coke commercial with that Ragin' Cajun and Bill Frist. The screaming squirrel was good, but when the commercial had Alice Cooper we had to laugh hard, and then we were busting guts when Richard Simmons was in the road and the driver started speeding up. "Follow your heart" was stupid IMO, but the talking stain wasn't bad -- it made its point very well. The "cheese run" was good, but the Clydesdale/Rocky thing lacked something.

IMO Tom Petty is a good choice for halftime, though a bit subdued. I liked the guitar stage. Also cool was that I was at my brother's house, he could turn up the volume, I can't do that at home, with little ones in bed and a noise-sensitive spouse.
Quote:yeah, that was a great game. I was rooting for a close one, and I got it. I also like that nobody has gone 19-0. Of course what I don't like is hearing from Giants fans for a whole year.
I didn't want the Giants or the Pats to make it to the final. I admit that I'm biased against the power markets who siphon off all the great players from the normal and smaller markets. But, it was great that it was a close game rather than watching the Pats usual steamroller 40 point win. The Giants defense was amazing, they left it all on the field, and they earned the title.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:yeah, that was a great game. I was rooting for a close one, and I got it. I also like that nobody has gone 19-0. Of course what I don't like is hearing from Giants fans for a whole year.

I was actually wanting the Patriots to win to shut the '72 Dolphins up for good. They had an easy schedule that year and they make it seem like they're insurmountable because of it. Face facts, Patriots faced 6 playoff teams in the regular season and still won all of them, that right there is way more impressive than the 0.400 or less win ratio of the teams the Dolphins faced in '72.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:2/3/2008

No substitute has ever yet been discovered for honesty

Orison Swett Marden - Early pioneer of personal development

No substitute has ever been invented for lies, when election year arrives.

Same guy, when the primaries hit his state.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
2/5/2008

Some of the greatest men in history have never discovered their [abilities] until they lost everything but their pluck and grit.

Orisen Swett Marden
Quote:2/5/2008

Some of the greatest men in history have never discovered their [abilities] until they lost everything but their pluck and grit.

Orisen Swett Marden

I always enjoy a good 'bootstraps' quote.:)

Cheers,

Munk

Orisen Swett Marden

Well, this one doesn't need much innuendo twisting, but I'm betting Occhi jumps on this one... :lol:
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:Some of the greatest men in history have never discovered their [abilities] until they lost everything but their pluck and grit.

Orisen Swett Marden

For some reason this reminds me of one of my favorite C.S. Lewis quotes:

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point."

Both quotes seem to say that the strength that really matters sometimes manifests in the face of the harshest adversity.

Orisen Swett Marden
THe asymptotic approach to vapidity oft approximates conceptual emptiness.

Marden is a fine example.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete