The Hardest Mario Knockoff Ever
Video in four parts.

A Japanese knockoff of the original Super Mario Bros. game. In fact, it pretty much is SMB if it was made by your worst enemy. Doing it as a commission from Satan himself.

Imagine SMB where everything is trying to kill you. The enemies are trying to kill you. The blocks are trying to kill you. The powerups will almost certainly kill you. The clouds kill you. The bonus rooms are almost certain death. And let's not talk about the flagpoles. If you want a measure of how insane this game is, you're given two lives to start with, but when you hit 0, you plummet down deep into the negative numbers.

What interests me most about these videos is not the sheer ingenuity of the, um, designer of this, but rather the almost Pavlovian responses from the player. On more than one occasion I felt that the poor guy at the keyboard had been turned into one of those lab rats that react badly due to being randomly shocked while eating food.

I wouldn't suggest that anyone here play this game, even having seen the video on just how to do everything. It's more of a spectator sport than anything. Remember, he played this game so you don't have to.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
That reminds of me this. Warning: profanity abound.

--me
Of course I had to try the flash game. 250 deaths so far, 3 levels completed. It's actually pretty fun.
I tried the flash game and beat level 1. It's pretty difficult even after watching the video. I'm not sure I'll even attempt the rest of it.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I only watched the the first one. You can almost hear the guy swear at some of the pitfalls.
Quote:I only watched the the first one. You can almost hear the guy swear at some of the pitfalls.
It gets even better. For instance, after being killed by a certain object at some point during the second video, only to encounter a similar one right at the start of the third video he actually approaches it cautiously, debating with himself whether to touch it or not.

And when he (eventually) get to the flagpole without being killed by it is an absolute howler. You can literally feel the look of stunned silence on his face when the unexpected happens.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Last night it took about 400 lives to make it through the 4 levels. Today I finished them with -7 Marios left. I suppose it should it be quite possible to finish without resorting to negative Marios once all pitfalls are learned, but there are a few truly brutal jump sequences. Not sure if I would have ever figured out that ending puzzle without watching the video though... tricky, tricky. Trying to get past the bridge is so hard too, and all for naught.