The new dungeon que feature kicks ass
Quote:I'm also trying to figure out why a system where everyone has to alt-tab out to look at external websites is somehow more simple than a system that didn't require that. I'm totally lost on your logic.
Conc, the obvious solution is that everyone should have 2 monitors. That is the crux of getting this whole system to work smoothly.
Quote:I'm also trying to figure out why a system where everyone has to alt-tab out to look at external websites is somehow more simple than a system that didn't require that. I'm totally lost on your logic.

Ever heard of a piece of paper and a pen? I know, how archaic, but it works pretty good for writing down things that you looked up earlier so you don't have to alt-tab.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:Ever heard of a piece of paper and a pen? I know, how archaic, but it works pretty good for writing down things that you looked up earlier so you don't have to alt-tab.

Also there are addons that let you browse loot-tables ingame.
AtlasLoot for example.

Overall, I have to agree with Concillian in that the new system creates problems that didn't exist before. And yes, communication can help with those.:)

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Quote:Ever heard of a piece of paper and a pen? I know, how archaic, but it works pretty good for writing down things that you looked up earlier so you don't have to alt-tab.

Oh, you're right. Using a pen and paper and having a Pow-wow after every drop is definitely more simple than the old system where we could just need if we'd use it and greed otherwise.

:blink:
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote:Oh, you're right. Using a pen and paper and having a Pow-wow after every drop is definitely more simple than the old system where we could just need if we'd use it and greed otherwise.

:blink:

Precisely. Before, if I WANTED it, I could need, and if I 'kinda' wanted it / Side Grade I could greed.

Now, I have to be a greedy bastard when I go to heroics since I'm main spec ret, off spec whatever the guild needs me to be for the raid.

And it still doesn't mean that the boomchicken or ele shaman are going to get the cloth gear that while blizzard wont admit is better for them, it truly is.

The Dungeon finder is a great tool, but it was the death of communication in pugs.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
I'm not really sure what the big deal is. Obviously in guild runs you can use whatever loot system that you want. The dungeon queue system doesn't replace guild runs, but provides you with a fast, easy alternative to do when you can't find a group from your guild.

As you said, that doesn't fix the whole cloth/leather issues for casters/melee so if there is something you absolutely need from a certain instance but the game won't let you roll need on it, you'll just have to run that instance to get that item the old fashioned way. As far as offspec sorts of drops, if you need something in any capacity, roll need. If you win a contested roll but it's not a big deal to you, you can always trade it to them. I did that last night on my Druid where I rolled on a feral necklace, then traded it to the enhancement shaman who could actually use it but I beat on the roll.

Given the volume of instances you can run with the group finder, I don't see the system as anything but a huge boon to how fast you can gear up. While you can't roll on leather with a warrior (other than greed), you'll probably see plate for that slot pretty quickly. Even if you don't, you're stockpiling massive amounts of badges that you can use to purchase emblem gear up to ilvl 245 which blows the socks off of the stuff that actually drops in heroics. I know that I look forward to getting my next alt up to level 80 so I can actually start looking at drops to see if I need it again and then grab tiered gear from emblems to fix up bad slots! :)
-TheDragoon
Yeah, you're only locked into "Need and Greed" if you use the dungeon finder. "Group Loot" is the same as it always was.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Quote:Yeah, you're only locked into "Need and Greed" if you use the dungeon finder. "Group Loot" is the same as it always was.

However, you can use the dungeon queue system with a pre-arranged 5-man group to get free teleport to and from the instance. My only point was that there was a downside brought with it. It isn't a big deal, but it is a downside.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Quote:However, you can use the dungeon queue system with a pre-arranged 5-man group to get free teleport to and from the instance. My only point was that there was a downside brought with it. It isn't a big deal, but it is a downside.

I was leader in a premade 5 and we used the random dungeon and I was able to set loot to group loot which allowed anyone to need on anything they wanted. Greed and DE were still treated the same level but cloth wearers could need on plate if they wanted and we were using the queuing system. Don't know if they was added in the last hot fix because I swear I tried it before but it worked yesterday and today.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:I was leader in a premade 5 and we used the random dungeon and I was able to set loot to group loot which allowed anyone to need on anything they wanted. Greed and DE were still treated the same level but cloth wearers could need on plate if they wanted and we were using the queuing system. Don't know if they was added in the last hot fix because I swear I tried it before but it worked yesterday and today.

Very good news. It didn't work last time I tried it, but I have been away for several days.
That should be possible in a premade group, yes. I'm rather certain it still isn't if there's just one random member, though.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
I used it a few times and I must say, it is awesome!.... As long as you're a level 80 healer.

Tried it with my level 70 dps shaman: 1,5 hours wait. Then the group disbanded within 5 mins.
Tried it with my 80 druid as dps: 15 mins wait.
Tried it with my 80 healer druid: instamatch.

Maybe with the next expansion more people will be available at the lower levels.
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
Quote:I used it a few times and I must say, it is awesome!.... As long as you're a level 80 healer.

Tried it with my level 70 dps shaman: 1,5 hours wait. Then the group disbanded within 5 mins.

Maybe with the next expansion more people will be available at the lower levels.

Queues are even faster with a tank than a healer. But for low level DPS it sucks. My 72 hunter is 30 - 45 minutes most of the time. I could get groups faster in LFG with him usually. Game still doesn't have enough tanks and healers but we've always known that. :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:Queues are even faster with a tank than a healer. But for low level DPS it sucks. My 72 hunter is 30 - 45 minutes most of the time. I could get groups faster in LFG with him usually. Game still doesn't have enough tanks and healers but we've always known that. :)

And I'm not sure that Blizzard can fix that. I know a lot of people who won't tank or heal in pugs because of the abuse that idiot DPS heaps on healers and tanks in them. Anything that goes wrong is the fault of the healer or tank to a lot of those people, and we all know that really isn't the way it is.
--Mav
Quote:I used it a few times and I must say, it is awesome!.... As long as you're a level 80 healer.

I think most of the long queue times start around the time you are hitting Northrend content. I've found the random dungeon to be a great leveling tool so far. I've been fooling around with a hunter the last two weeks and after hitting level 15 the dungeon tool opens up. From 15 to 34 now I've been able to get into a dungeon with wait times about 15-20 minutes which works out great for doing a few quests while waiting for the dungeon to open up. So far I've only had one bad run which was Gnomeregan and that involved the mage who was hitting stuff with his staff: "You guys have this under control, I'll save my mana for bosses." and the warrior who wasn't really a tank but stepped in after our queued tank dropped group the second it formed. Still we made it to the final hallway before the wipe and tallied up nearly half a level worth of XP so I wouldn't call it totally worthless.
The queue times as DPS for leveling content are long... As a tank, my death knight can get a group instantly, and my druid healer can get one almost as fast.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
I have been in love with the dungeon finder since day 1. My main (a ret paladin) has tanked every single heroic she has been in that didn't have a fellow guildie tank in, my little 70 priest healer has less than 5 minute queue times 90% of the time, and I have even had decent luck on my 80 mage. It might be that the time on him goes faster because I'm leveling a prof while I wait though.

On the other hand, I am more than a little perturbed by the attitude that many DPS take in these pugs. On my DK I had a particularly painful Nexus group on my Ally DK tank. The DPS were all from an 'awesome 25' guild that have the starcaller title. While my DK is geared, I still tank at a moderate pace. It is a personal thing, as when I tank I like knowing what is going on, and keeping things contained. I asked nicely to let me pull. I asked again to let me pull. After a couple more pulls that went hectic, I said: "You Pull it, You tank it". We get to Anomolus, and the moonkin pulls while I'm waiting on a couple of runes to tick clean as the dps was really pushing the bounds of my threat generation as it was. I walk up onto the platform and sit down. I refuse to tank him for the first 60% of his health while they yell at me for not doing my job. After my point was made, I tank the rest of the dungeon, listen to the verbal assaults during Keristrasza, put them all on ignore when I get my frost emblems and drop group.

I guess it is too much to ask to let the tank do its job in the new RDF when you overgeared. It isn't like I was marking targets and forcing single targeting. I just wanted to pull get the initial aggro so that I wasn't taunting and DG-ing, and all manner of nonsense.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
I was accused of pulling too slow on the only pug run I've done with Tiga. I mentioned that in gchat and received about the longest spam of "LOL" I've seen in guild in three years.:D

Don't sweat it, some people just don't care about those they're with.
~FragB)
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Quote:I have been in love with the dungeon finder since day 1. My main (a ret paladin) has tanked every single heroic she has been in that didn't have a fellow guildie tank in, my little 70 priest healer has less than 5 minute queue times 90% of the time, and I have even had decent luck on my 80 mage. It might be that the time on him goes faster because I'm leveling a prof while I wait though.

On the other hand, I am more than a little perturbed by the attitude that many DPS take in these pugs. On my DK I had a particularly painful Nexus group on my Ally DK tank. The DPS were all from an 'awesome 25' guild that have the starcaller title. While my DK is geared, I still tank at a moderate pace. It is a personal thing, as when I tank I like knowing what is going on, and keeping things contained. I asked nicely to let me pull. I asked again to let me pull. After a couple more pulls that went hectic, I said: "You Pull it, You tank it". We get to Anomolus, and the moonkin pulls while I'm waiting on a couple of runes to tick clean as the dps was really pushing the bounds of my threat generation as it was. I walk up onto the platform and sit down. I refuse to tank him for the first 60% of his health while they yell at me for not doing my job. After my point was made, I tank the rest of the dungeon, listen to the verbal assaults during Keristrasza, put them all on ignore when I get my frost emblems and drop group.

I guess it is too much to ask to let the tank do its job in the new RDF when you overgeared. It isn't like I was marking targets and forcing single targeting. I just wanted to pull get the initial aggro so that I wasn't taunting and DG-ing, and all manner of nonsense.

That may be in part due to how DK tanks work in respect to the others. The other tanks have aspects that make them want to rush through (keeping rage up in the case of Bears and Warriors and keeping Divine Plea up in the case of Pallies). DKs are the one tank that are limited by built in time mechanics which force them to go at a slower pace because some of their threat depends on something that refreshes over time. I don't think the majority of the population realizes this about DKs and thinks they can rush, rush, rush like the other tanks.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:That may be in part due to how DK tanks work in respect to the others. The other tanks have aspects that make them want to rush through (keeping rage up in the case of Bears and Warriors and keeping Divine Plea up in the case of Pallies). DKs are the one tank that are limited by built in time mechanics which force them to go at a slower pace because some of their threat depends on something that refreshes over time. I don't think the majority of the population realizes this about DKs and thinks they can rush, rush, rush like the other tanks.

I believe that you are right. I also think that I might be having threat probs due to my gear (not enough expertise) but as my DK's end game is heroics and the RbotW, I wont be getting much in expertise upgrades for a while.