The Red Shirt Phenomenon
Quote:The Enterprise has a crew of 430 (startrek.com) in its five-year mission. (Now, I know that the show was only on the air for 3 years, but bear with me. 80 episodes were produced, which gives us the data to build from.) 59 crewmembers were killed during the mission, which comes out to 13.7% of the crew. So, that will be our overall conversion rate, 13.7%.

Data Segmentation:
However, we need to segment the overall mortality (conversion) rate in order to gain the specific information that we need:

Yellow-shirt crewperson deaths: 6 (10%)
Blue-Shirt crewperson deaths: 5 (8 %)
Engineering smock crewperson deaths: 4
Red-Shirt crewperson deaths: 43 (73%)
So, the basic segmentation of factors allows us to confirm that red-shirted crewmembers died more than any other crewmembers on the original Star Trek series.

Many more details here. I believe that understanding this is critical to the survival of our species; namely, stop wearing red shirts.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Redshirts are the first responders, of course. Blues and golds are smart enough to hang back a few steps and let the other fellow take one for the team.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Quote:Many more details here. I believe that understanding this is critical to the survival of our species; namely, stop wearing red shirts.

That's all very well, but you do know what would happen if Captain Kirk went down one day in a red shirt and Ensign Alientoastthativeneverheardofbefore went down in a blue shirt?
Quote:That's all very well, but you do know what would happen if Captain Kirk went down one day in a red shirt and Ensign Alientoastthativeneverheardofbefore went down in a blue shirt?

It would be the episode where people switch minds, and the 'Kirk' body would be killed, only to be put back in its place via mind meld at the end of the episode.

Blue shirt, aka. Red shirt, would be dead.

-Jester
Is this supposed to be advice for freshman football players?
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote:Many more details here. I believe that understanding this is critical to the survival of our species; namely, stop wearing red shirts.

-Bolty
You just saved my life! Good thing I checked the lounge before I stepped into the transporter:w00t:
Quote:Is this supposed to be advice for freshman football players?

Freshman? Hah! They don't put red shirts on players until the varsity level. If you're playing freshman football QB, it really shouldn't matter if you get hurt... Because you shouldn't be passing the ball. Thats for sure.

-Bolty

You Trekies!

That's alright though, because I have recently rented season 1-4 of Star Trek: TNG and have been devoutly watching 1-3 episodes a night.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Freshman? Hah! They don't put red shirts on players until the varsity level. If you're playing freshman football QB, it really shouldn't matter if you get hurt... Because you shouldn't be passing the ball. Thats for sure.

Redshirts are college freshmen who aren't ready for action yet. Apparently Captain Kirk's redshirts aren't ready for action yet, either.
I guess Santa's days are numbered.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Quote:I guess Santa's days are numbered.

It seems that Tiger Woods' days are numbered as well, but he's only at high risk on Sundays.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
Quote:Freshman? Hah! They don't put red shirts on players until the varsity level. If you're playing freshman football QB, it really shouldn't matter if you get hurt... Because you shouldn't be passing the ball. Thats for sure.

To "redshirt" a player is a term used at the collegiate football level to basically allow a player to sit out for a year while still practicing with the team, and not using a year of eligibilty. It allows for the development of players within a program (normally used for players who are not ready to play at a college level). This is what Quark is talking about.

The red shirt your are thinking of is an actual shirt or pinnie worn so as a reminder for the defense not to hit the Quarterback during practice drills.

Note: Basically an elaboration on Nystul's point.
Hmm... Right now, this is useless correlational data! I want hard facts! How many crew members regularly wore red shirts and did not die? Without this, we cannot conclude cause-and-effect.
Quote:Hmm... Right now, this is useless correlational data! I want hard facts! How many crew members regularly wore red shirts and did not die? Without this, we cannot conclude cause-and-effect.
Scotty's the ultimate bullet(phaser?)proof redshirt.

Didn't even let a little thing like being stranded aboard a crashed starship get in the way of his quest for a decent scotch. Unfortunately, he never counted on the invention of synthetic alcohol. Poor bastard.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
I love black and blue. I think they best and ever green. Looks perfect. red id bit hot color. I really don't like it. even I think white will be work out.
(08-04-2007, 03:48 AM)Bolty Wrote: I believe that understanding this is critical to the survival of our species; namely, stop wearing red shirts.
Ah, but looking at the data it appears that early on in the mission the yellow shirts died more frequently. It is obvious the crew came to an early conclusion that Yellow shirts are at great risk, and then switched to Red shirts. So, the only conclusion I can see is that the crew needs to work harder to insure that Kirk meets a new lady friend on every mission.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(06-05-2010, 07:56 AM)ethanjoshua Wrote: I love black and blue. I think they best and ever green. Looks perfect. red id bit hot color. I really don't like it. even I think white will be work out.

Black and blue id for babees. White get dirtee to offen. red look great in straples dres. Not on me, on gorges hot tamalee.
Hi,

(06-05-2010, 01:20 PM)kandrathe Wrote: So, the only conclusion I can see is that the crew needs to work harder to insure that Kirk meets a new lady friend on every mission.

Isn't that why the show got canceled? They ran out of actresses to be hit on by Kirk. Big Grin

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(06-05-2010, 06:24 PM)--Pete Wrote: Isn't that why the show got canceled? They ran out of actresses to be hit on by Kirk. Big Grin
I suppose, and it leads into my theory on how humanoids spread across the universe.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

You do realize that most posts in this thread are 3 years old, right?