Fight the gas prices
http://fightthegasprices.com/

New site I just made, give it a look see please.

Thanks
"Those with the ability to act, have the responsibility to act."
Quote:http://fightthegasprices.com/

Thanks

Interesting. Why do you think a short-term gas boycott would have any effect whatsoever?
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Can one burn spam for fuel instead?

-Jester
Quote:Interesting. Why do you think a short-term gas boycott would have any effect whatsoever?

Not a short term one, its only scheduled out for a month in advance.. + I was tired and went to bed. its every Monday every week all year. Also its only a thought, Im always open to better ideas. Its just most people schedule a one day anger boycott that most of us dont hear about till its to late, so I figured good idea wrong method - in peoples busy lifes there needs to be a schedule for most things, so I thought why not this. If 40 million people complied they would certainly get a message.
Quote:Can one burn spam for fuel instead?

-Jester

LMAO - if you figure that one out, Ill help you bottle and sell it. )
Quote:Not a short term one, its only scheduled out for a month in advance.. + I was tired and went to bed. its every Monday every week all year. Also its only a thought, Im always open to better ideas. Its just most people schedule a one day anger boycott that most of us dont hear about till its to late, so I figured good idea wrong method - in peoples busy lifes there needs to be a schedule for most things, so I thought why not this. If 40 million people complied they would certainly get a message.

Except those 40 million people would fuel up on Tuesday instead without hurting the wallet of anyone.

Vote with your wallet. Go Hybrid or electric.
Quote:Except those 40 million people would fuel up on Tuesday instead without hurting the wallet of anyone.

This is very true. The big thing that can really hit their bottomline is the use of regenerative breaking systems that are found in hybrids and electric cars. Any power the regenerative breaking recoups is essentially free energy (minus the cost of building the breaking system). :)

The other option is to get a job with one of the oil refining companies... I must admit, it is somewhat tempting with the escalating prices... :whistling:
-TheDragoon
Quote:Not a short term one, its only scheduled out for a month in advance.. + I was tired and went to bed. its every Monday every week all year. Also its only a thought, Im always open to better ideas. Its just most people schedule a one day anger boycott that most of us dont hear about till its to late, so I figured good idea wrong method - in peoples busy lifes there needs to be a schedule for most things, so I thought why not this. If 40 million people complied they would certainly get a message.

By short-term I meant one day a week. If 40 million people did it no one would care - the net amount of gas sold would be the same. It might not even be noticeable, since most gas stations that I know of don't get daily gas deliveries - more like once a week or so.

The only way to make a difference is to reduce consumption. To a certain extent that's a short term fix anyway; the supply of easily claimed fossil fuel is finite. In the fullness of time, supply will become constrained, prices will rise, and other sources will become competitive (coal gasification, tar sands, shale). And then we can strip mine our own land rather than poking holes in other folk's land.:)
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Quote:Except those 40 million people would fuel up on Tuesday instead without hurting the wallet of anyone.

I knew I would get educated responses here, love it ) you are all so well informed and respond in very professional intelligent manners.

I agree Tal, and I thought about that. The goal was simply a method to reach unreachable people in big oil and Government. That goal was to send a message that we clearly are not happy. Sure Tuesday we would all fill up, we have to, yet on Mondays they still have to review there profit margins, maybe when they do that and see 300 Million + gone they may get a hint. At least it would be something. Besides that doing something is better then nothing, Rosa Parks did something when all said she shouldnt - so you never know till you try, all I know is im guarenteed a NO if I dont ask, and guarenteed no result if I dont act.

However I agree with the calculated result of the seemingly pointless Gas boycott, it still carries a message. Hyrids and E-85 are barely a bandaid to the current status. To me its like finding a band aid at a second hand store then try to use it. Hybrids are expensive to buy and more expensive to repair as well as limited production model selection (I cant fit my family of 9 in a Toyota Prius or anything Hybrid at this point). E-85 is renewable, burns about 20% less efficient (which means spend more over the year), and still getting gouged. I think the long term answer will be Hydrogen / Fuel cell tech which Honda and GM are pursuing at great lengths. For now all we have is our voice, and that needs to be heard somehow - I hope the site will effort that.
The only way to make a difference is to regulate oil companies. Until politicians, both Republican and Democrats, climb out of Big Oil's pockets, we will always get screwed by them.

I always found it interesting that if there were 3 stations on one corner, they all had the same prices (that's for the same tier stations, not things like Arco who probably mix their gas with donkey urine), and they all moved their prices up and down by the same amounts and at the same time. If this is not collusion, I do not know what is.

Our gas prices are retardedly high right now. One of the popular arguments is that crude prices are real high and therefore so are our gas prices. Bull$hit. We are higher right now than when crude was at it's all time high of high 70s/barrel. We are in the low 60s/barrel, but gas prices are at record highs.

No matter which Party is in office, who controls Congress and Senate, noone ever does anything to control these guys. So, enough dreaming. You won't make a difference. Until our politicians change, oil companies will not. They are in a symbiotic relationship.
Quote:The only way to make a difference is to regulate oil companies. Until politicians, both Republican and Democrats, climb out of Big Oil's pockets, we will always get screwed by them.

I always found it interesting that if there were 3 stations on one corner, they all had the same prices (that's for the same tier stations, not things like Arco who probably mix their gas with donkey urine), and they all moved their prices up and down by the same amounts and at the same time. If this is not collusion, I do not know what is.

Our gas prices are retardedly high right now. One of the popular arguments is that crude prices are real high and therefore so are our gas prices. Bull$hit. We are higher right now than when crude was at it's all time high of high 70s/barrel. We are in the low 60s/barrel, but gas prices are at record highs.

No matter which Party is in office, who controls Congress and Senate, noone ever does anything to control these guys. So, enough dreaming. You won't make a difference. Until our politicians change, oil companies will not. They are in a symbiotic relationship.

Maybe it wont make a difference, maybe it will. If we do nothing we are guarenteed it wont. Do you think it possible when Americans unite under one movement and one common goal that possibly we could acheive? I know its a far fetched dream/idea, but not to long ago going to the moon was a impossible dream as well. I understand your point, and agree with it somewhat, the obstacle is a mountain indeed, but I also know tremendous things are accomplished when we work together to climb that mountain. I dont doubt that most feel as you do, understandably so - I did as well, until I realized that they are turning us into a third world nation. When you have to decide food vs gas, that is certainly an indicator to me that I need to get involved at whatever level to add to the voice. Thats all I am doing is hopefully creating a single voice and others will add theres to it until its so loud they wil have no option but to at least hear it.
Quote:regenerative breaking systems
What are you advocating? Putting all mechanics out of a job with cars that fix themselves?:DI am a huge fan of hybrid vehicles. I think they need to go one step further though. I would like to see current focus on series hybrid vehicles, the combustion engine used at constant speed for electricity generation only. This allows the engine to operate at peak efficiency and also makes transition to even more alternate fuels much easier. It also makes it easier to replace combustion with battery storage as mass produced batteries become better and better.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Quote:I agree Tal, and I thought about that. The goal was simply a method to reach unreachable people in big oil and Government. That goal was to send a message that we clearly are not happy. Sure Tuesday we would all fill up, we have to, yet on Mondays they still have to review there profit margins, maybe when they do that and see 300 Million + gone they may get a hint.
The only ones that would notice people not filling up on a Monday are the gas stations. As was pointed out already the stations only get gas every couple days, so as long as they sell the same amount of gas total over x number of days no one further up the chain will care/notice.

Want to make them take notice, just stop buying their product all together, or at least buy less. The reason they can screw people over so badly is because no matter what they set the price at demand remains largely unchanged. It could be $10/gallon and they could probably still sell plenty.
Delgorasha of <The Basin> on Tichondrius Un-re-retired
Delcanan of <First File> on Runetotem
Quote:Maybe it wont make a difference, maybe it will. If we do nothing we are guarenteed it wont. Do you think it possible when Americans unite under one movement and one common goal that possibly we could acheive? I know its a far fetched dream/idea, but not to long ago going to the moon was a impossible dream as well. I understand your point, and agree with it somewhat, the obstacle is a mountain indeed, but I also know tremendous things are accomplished when we work together to climb that mountain. I dont doubt that most feel as you do, understandably so - I did as well, until I realized that they are turning us into a third world nation. When you have to decide food vs gas, that is certainly an indicator to me that I need to get involved at whatever level to add to the voice. Thats all I am doing is hopefully creating a single voice and others will add theres to it until its so loud they wil have no option but to at least hear it.

Good luck.
Quote:I always found it interesting that if there were 3 stations on one corner, they all had the same prices (that's for the same tier stations, not things like Arco who probably mix their gas with donkey urine), and they all moved their prices up and down by the same amounts and at the same time. If this is not collusion, I do not know what is.

More like if there's three stations at the opposite parts of the city, an equal distance from downtown (Prices rise as you get closer to it), owned by different companies, they all have the exact same prices. And move them up and down by the same amounts, of course.

In most other industries, this would be called a "Cartel."
Quote:The only way to make a difference is to regulate oil companies. Until politicians, both Republican and Democrats, climb out of Big Oil's pockets, we will always get screwed by them.

Very interesting that on one hand people complain about too expensive fuel, and on the other hand about that we have to use less.

What do you pay in the US? 3 $ per gallon....that is around 75 cents per liter? Which is about 60 eurocents per liters?....that is around 30 % of what we pay. Of course cars in the US on average use also twice the amount of fuel (my estimate) so per km it will be more or less the same.

Conclusion fuel is (especially in the US) too cheap. ....... and if people continue complaining.......but don´t buy/use less fuel nothing will change, and governments are right to tax fuel heavily as well.
Quote:What do you pay in the US? 3 $ per gallon....that is around 75 cents per liter?

I don't know about the US, but here in Canada, it's $1.28 CAD/L. For comparison, it was ~$1 CAD/L six months ago.

And taxes only make up some 12% of that.
It's actually a bit over $3 per gallon in this neck of the woods, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is close to $4 in NY or Cali. It's still not nearly expensive enough to force people to change their driving or car buying habits in most cases, so they don't. But complaining about fuel prices in one of our national past times.

I can understand it though. I can remember when gas cost about a dollar per gallon and Coke cost about a dollar for 2 liters. Coke still costs about a dollar for 2 liters....

Fuel and a few other important things like the costs of health care and college education seem to increase in price at a rate much higher than our normal inflation, making them a common cause for concern and complaints.
Quote:http://fightthegasprices.com/

Thanks
Rebel without a clue.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Very interesting that on one hand people complain about too expensive fuel, and on the other hand about that we have to use less.

What do you pay in the US? 3 $ per gallon....that is around 75 cents per liter? Which is about 60 eurocents per liters?....that is around 30 % of what we pay. Of course cars in the US on average use also twice the amount of fuel (my estimate) so per km it will be more or less the same.

Conclusion fuel is (especially in the US) too cheap. ....... and if people continue complaining.......but don´t buy/use less fuel nothing will change, and governments are right to tax fuel heavily as well.

Eppie, the US isn't Europe. And the solution isn't to simply adopt Europe's way of regulating fuel consumption.

The sheer size of the United States, coupled with the vast areas of low (to no) population density areas makes comparisons between what works in Belgium (roughly the size of a small US state) and the US a comparison of apples and oranges.

As a result of the difference in size and density, the US has grown into an economy and social structure much more reliant on long distance highways than Europe has. At my last semester at college, I witnessed 600 kids move out of one building. The majority of which were traveling by car anywhere between 10-20 hours away. Moreover, look at the US economies heavy reliance on trucking routes cross-country.

The US is a different beast than Europe. And the answer isn't to make it more European. It isn't economically or fiscally feasible to create the same mass transit systems here (just imagine putting in government subsidized rail routes in Nevada, or Wyoming). Raising gas prices won't have the same effect - for the millions that commute 30+ minutes to work everyday, higher gas prices will just mean a bigger dent in their pocketbook. And don't even get me started on the idea of trying to make a 20+ hour road trip in a 4 cylinder 65 horsepower European economy car on US highways.

We all buy gas for roughly the same price. If Europe wants put high taxes and tariffs on it, so be it. But that solution won't work here. The US has a much bigger reliance on automotive travel, and that is something you're not going to change with higher gas prices.

The answer is in more fuel efficient cars (read: not the European idea; of small 4 cylinder cars, but new hybrids), and lower gas prices (either by supplementing with new fuel sources, or more direct control of gas and lower prices).

Cheers,

Munk

PS. As for the site, I agree with Bun-Bun.