A Song of Fire and Ice... on HBO?
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111795753...egoryid=14&cs=1

Color me intrigued. It will be interesting (if the series does indeed move into production) to see whether they go the route of trying to include every single subplot and minor character or whether they will attempt to streamline everything and provide more focus. It's also nice that they are committed from the outset of not having more than one book per season.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Quote:http://www.variety.com/article/VR111795753...egoryid=14&cs=1

Color me intrigued. It will be interesting (if the series does indeed move into production) to see whether they go the route of trying to include every single subplot and minor character or whether they will attempt to streamline everything and provide more focus. It's also nice that they are committed from the outset of not having more than one book per season.

I really can't see a way of depicting the novels in a realistic way on TV, unless they spend money on a LotR level!

Anyway, who could portray Daenerys Targaryen :wub: in a believable way?
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
I feel both excitement and dread. I really like the novels, but there's a lot of book there to cover. At least they didn't try to do a movie out of it.

Quote:It's also nice that they are committed from the outset of not having more than one book per season.

That's pretty cool.

Quote:Anyway, who could portray Daenerys Targaryen :wub: in a believable way?

Personally, I have a crush on Kristen Bell. I don't know if she necessarily would make the best Daenerys, but that is who I would love to see.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Quote:Personally, I have a crush on Kristen Bell. I don't know if she necessarily would make the best Daenerys, but that is who I would love to see.
Any of the waif/jailbait looking actresses, or one of the Olsen twins. Or, Christina Ricci, now that she has gone anorexic. Haver you seen a picture of her lately? The cute, round, buxom in miniature and generally adorable little lady looks awful in the last pic I saw of her.

This is as foul a crime as the lip surgery on the once lovely Madeline Stowe.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I'm exceptionally annoyed by this.

There was a huge 5 year gap between A Storm of Swords and A Feast for Crows, supposedly because the events in Crows were supposed to be covered by recollections of people during what would have been the 4th book. Then Crows got so bloated it had to be cut in half, leading to a further delay. But that _should_ have meant that the next book came out quickly, it should have just been a reediting of the material that got dropped from Crows. It's now been more then a year.

All this for a period in the fictional world where so little was happening he was planning on skipping it. Indeed, Crows featured very little action. The first two books I read multiple times, I'm pretty sure when I finished a Clash of Kings I immediately flipped open Game of Thrones and started over. As the books get more bloated and slow moving (both in terms of the pacing of the action and the time between them) I'm losing interest. He is turning into Robert Jordan. Strong start and characters, great world. The world and characters are so engrossing (and grossing well too) to the author, he can't bear to let us escape it by moving the plot to its conclusion. (Fun fact - the Wheel of Time was supposed to go for 3 books. The surprise "this smoking corpse isn't really the embodiment of evil" ending was a cop out to keep the gravytrain rolling).

Biting off another big project can't help either the quality or the speed of the writing. I understand Martin needs to strike while the iron is hot and can't pass up the opportunity to get his creation onto the small screen, but unless A Dance with Dragons is out by that point AND blows the doors off of A Feast for Crows, I woln't be tuning in or purchasing The Winds of Winter.
Quote:Christina Ricci, now that she has gone anorexic. Haver you seen a picture of her lately? The cute, round, buxom in miniature and generally adorable little lady looks awful in the last pic I saw of her.
:(:(

Hollywood and the modeling industry are evil, pure evil!:angry:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Quote: He is turning into Robert Jordan. Strong start and characters, great world. The world and characters are so engrossing (and grossing well too) to the author, he can't bear to let us escape it by moving the plot to its conclusion. (Fun fact - the Wheel of Time was supposed to go for 3 books. The surprise "this smoking corpse isn't really the embodiment of evil" ending was a cop out to keep the gravytrain rolling).

Get Real! I read the first 6/7 novels of the "Wheel of Time " series and, unless you are suffering and bored to death, that series is crap and Robert Jordan should be slowly tortured to death:angry:

The "Song of Ice and Fire" Stuff is huge. It may probably be even bigger than all the Elric/Arioch/Michael Moorcock stuff from way back in the 70ies

Greetings to trhe old guard
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Quote:I'm exceptionally annoyed by this.

There was a huge 5 year gap between A Storm of Swords and A Feast for Crows, supposedly because the events in Crows were supposed to be covered by recollections of people during what would have been the 4th book. Then Crows got so bloated it had to be cut in half, leading to a further delay. But that _should_ have meant that the next book came out quickly, it should have just been a reediting of the material that got dropped from Crows. It's now been more then a year.

All this for a period in the fictional world where so little was happening he was planning on skipping it. Indeed, Crows featured very little action. The first two books I read multiple times, I'm pretty sure when I finished a Clash of Kings I immediately flipped open Game of Thrones and started over. As the books get more bloated and slow moving (both in terms of the pacing of the action and the time between them) I'm losing interest. He is turning into Robert Jordan. Strong start and characters, great world. The world and characters are so engrossing (and grossing well too) to the author, he can't bear to let us escape it by moving the plot to its conclusion. (Fun fact - the Wheel of Time was supposed to go for 3 books. The surprise "this smoking corpse isn't really the embodiment of evil" ending was a cop out to keep the gravytrain rolling).

Biting off another big project can't help either the quality or the speed of the writing. I understand Martin needs to strike while the iron is hot and can't pass up the opportunity to get his creation onto the small screen, but unless A Dance with Dragons is out by that point AND blows the doors off of A Feast for Crows, I woln't be tuning in or purchasing The Winds of Winter.
Has Jordan released anything lately in WoT? I have read them all, and the last two were 30 pages of story and 300 pages of filler. No plot advancement. Did he actually finish it?

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Get Real! I read the first 6/7 novels of the "Wheel of Time " series and, unless you are suffering and bored to death, that series is crap and Robert Jordan should be slowly tortured to death:angry:

The "Song of Ice and Fire" Stuff is huge. It may probably be even bigger than all the Elric/Arioch/Michael Moorcock stuff from way back in the 70ies

Greetings to trhe old guard

I'm not sure you can really compare the "Song of Ice and FIre" to the Moorcock stuff from the 70's. SoIaF is more of an epic tale, if you will. Moorcock's work is, in my opinion, pulp fantasy at it's finest.

Jordan's "Wheel of TIme" became way to bloated about 4 books ago. Too many characters, too many plotlines. And yet he keeps introducing new characters! I've been reduced to skimming to the chapters that deal with the characters I care about and pretty much ignoring the rest.

W<
Random bit:

When my wife & I met half a decade ago we used to share books and chat about such things. She invited me to read The WoT series with her. I declined and said I'd read them when the whole series was published. :lol:

Yeah...
~Frag :P
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
I was in the airport bookstore, and skimmed volume 11(!!) for a couple of minutes. I had left off about book 7 or so, I recognized _none_ of the characters. Of course, that was a random sampling, I didn't purposefully skim for characters I knew.
Quote:I was in the airport bookstore, and skimmed volume 11(!!) for a couple of minutes. I had left off about book 7 or so, I recognized _none_ of the characters. Of course, that was a random sampling, I didn't purposefully skim for characters I knew.
They are all on vacation.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete