The Suppression Room
Woot woot, our happy banana (the name of our raid alliance:D), has finally gotten to beating Vael on every BWL run, and we now get into the timesink/nervegrinder/PITA called The Suppression Room.

Why, I asks ya! WHY?
It's not that we have problems there (not counting the two wipes last thursday, where we had a hunter ninjapull some far off dragonkin by accident, then respawn as we tried to run through the already cleared room...), but it's just so tedious! We have quite a few AoE people in our usual raid setup (healing is typically three priests and 2 druids + 8 or so shammies, a combo we killed the Broodlord with:)), so taking care of the whelps is no problem. We have disciplined members, so the moving along is no problem. Tanks know which mob to pick up when, so it all goes more or less smoothly along.

and still...

I hate that place! The silly traps push my fps under 3.0, which is usually bad for a tank. The constant noise is starting to freak me out after 2 minutes. I feel stressed even though I have hardly anything to do. I want to "have a talk" with the designer who thought about this little bump on the road to Nefarian. Just gimme five minutes!

We do not have the Broodlord on farm yet. We walk in, start clearing the whelps, Orcs and Dragonkin, and as soon as we start moving, dread grips a hold of us. OMG, we might have to do this again! Oh noes!

Why isn't there a big switch you can throw once you are at the Broolord that disables respawns and the traps? Does Blizzard take joy from our misery? I know it not, but, for those who haven#t figured it out yet: I hate The Suppression Room with a vengeance.

hmm? My point?

Well...

/vanish

sorry for the rant, felt good to vent:)

take care
Nuurabsaal
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Quote:The constant noise is starting to freak me out after 2 minutes.

CTRL+S is your friend; also to be used when hanging around a priest using Inner Focus ;-)

Quote:I feel stressed even though I have hardly anything to do. I want to "have a talk" with the designer who thought about this little bump on the road to Nefarian. Just gimme five minutes!

Probably the same person who designed the tunnel between Sartura and Fankriss in AQ40, or the bats on the way to Heigan in Naxxramas...

Quote:We do not have the Broodlord on farm yet. We walk in, start clearing the whelps, Orcs and Dragonkin, and as soon as we start moving, dread grips a hold of us. OMG, we might have to do this again! Oh noes!

Getting him on farm helps, cos you know you won't have to:)

Quote:Why isn't there a big switch you can throw once you are at the Broolord that disables respawns and the traps?

There is. It's labelled "Broodlord Lashlayer". Sometimes you have to hit it quite a few times before it actually registers, though. Killing him really should open up that passageway, though, so you don't have to run to one end of the room and back on subsequent trips:P
You don't know what you're talking about.
Encounters like the suppression rooms are a neat idea, and can be kind of fun, although I agree that their implementation could use a little work. Running a gauntlet is more fun if there is not a tank-killing taunt-immune boss at the end ready to send you back to the end of the line. Plus the lag can be killer.

I recommend turning off sound and turning down graphics settings for the fight, and maybe disabling a few mods, to make the encounter smoother on your computer and on your nerves.

If you are a tank, keep the elites off the squishies, and let the AOE and healers take care of the rest. It is surely a manic encounter, but it can also be a fun challenge, so try to roll with the punches. :D
As a DPS warrior I love the suppression room leading up to the Broodlord. WW + Cleave with my big two hander is ftw.:D
Oh man I didn't need to see this post.

Our first trip there should be tonight (assuming we don't regress badly on Vael)...

:unsure:
Quote:I recommend turning off sound and turning down graphics settings for the fight, and maybe disabling a few mods, to make the encounter smoother on your computer and on your nerves.

If you have a DamageMeters or similar addon running, turning it off sometimes can make a huge difference. Having to parse all the different damage events with all the casters AOE'ing can cause some really significant slowdown, even on non-ancient systems.
Onyxia:
Kichebo - 85 NE Druid

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Think of the suppression room as "Phase I" of the Broodlord encounter. Phase II (actually killing him) is quite easy compared to most bosses, because of the added "challenge" that the suppression room adds. The same goes with Heigan in Naxxramas. Some people think he's the easiest boss of the zone, but they forget to consider "Phase I," the clear to him, as part of the encounter. When you add that in, the extra time makes learning each of those bosses harder and/or more time consuming, because you have to wait longer in between each attempt. The good news, though, is that once you beat "Phase II" of each encounter, then the whole thing is basically trivial. The suppression room and the clear to Heigen become just minor speedbumps along the way through the zones.
Rogues wanted raid utility.

*giggles*

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Thanks for the tips, but playing totally without sound feels even weirder than the noise attack, and as far as damage-meters and graphic options are concerned:
no damagemeters, as I consider them silly and my graphics options already hit rock bottom. I play on an ancient 1.7GHz G5 Power Mac, a trusty machine but the processor just can't handle WoW all too well, even though I got 1,5 GB of RAM in there, with An ATI Radeon 9800 with 256 VRAM. WoW still looks pretty though:)

Next tuesday is our next BWL run, where we will use Flasks on the tanks for the first time, mainly to up our chances of getting to Firemaw before midnight, not that it feels they are absolutely necessary for the fight.

And smart remarks from the dps warrior side are not welcome at all! Bad Tal, down! On top of that your UTB looks way more sexah than my depressing Bonereaver's, but then again I'm a tank and only show it to the occasional ally that runs into it.

As for the raid utility of rogues...they always try to stunlock the traps, must be in their nature or something, non-stunnable MC trash has made them borderline insane, and it shows.

Hopefully I can announce the killing of the big switch (nice one) next week, I might loose some of my anxiety in that event.

And vor_lord: if you get there -> enjoy!:P

take care
Nuurabsaal
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
I'm happy to announce another first kill, Firemaw down on first try:)

Maybe we were lucky but this feels like one of the easiest bossfights in raiding, including MC. The silly lizard only dropped two epics, but his claw made one of our Rogues very happy.

The real trouble began with the Warlock/Technician groups after Firemaw. We cleared three of those before the fight without too many problems, then wiped 4 times on the next three:P

Somebody relayed a tactic from some high-end guild on our server that said to kill Spellbinders before Warlocks and that just didn't work out for us in the end. The locks do an insane amount of damage (it hurts!) and we had trouble separating them from the techs to keep the lock tanks out of the bomb spam.

Is there a foolproof way to do those groups?

Also, the triple Wyrmguards before Ebonroc pwned us hard, their neverending stun combos made short order of any sort of aggro management. At least we MCed the Elementium smelting guy long enough to give the skill to 5 of our raidmembers.

Any advice on those Wyrmguards would also be very much appreciated. Ebonroc should be easy again, right?

;)
take care
Nuurabsaal

I'll remember you.
Quote:I'm happy to announce another first kill, Firemaw down on first try:)
Grats!
Quote:Is there a foolproof way to do those groups?
We still have more trouble with the trash than any of the drakes. We have hunters kite a bunch of stuff back to Vael's room to reduce the amount of healing needed. I think we kite the spell binders and kill the warlocks, then kill the technicians. Keeping their spells interupted helps a lot.
Quote:Any advice on those Wyrmguards would also be very much appreciated. Ebonroc should be easy again, right?
Kite 2, kill the third. We use the side room with a greenish tint. Have 1 hunter pet pull, then have other hunters peel two of them off. Its really important that no one generates any aggro until 2 of them are out of the room or you hunters are going to have a hard time.

If you can 1 shot firemaw then the other 2 drakes will be free loot. Ebonroc is a taunt rotation test, and Flamegor is just another tranq shot fight.
Delgorasha of <The Basin> on Tichondrius Un-re-retired
Delcanan of <First File> on Runetotem
If the technicians are bombing people, one useful thing is to have a feral druid run around them in circles - their bombs should go toward where the druid was.

We normally kill the warlocks first, if I recall correctly.
Quote:We normally kill the warlocks first, if I recall correctly.

Avarice style = Pull 'em all.

Feral druid bear forms and runs circles around the goblins, rounding them up and pissing them off.

One hunter pulls each Warlock via LoS pulls to their tank.

Spellbinders are acquired by their tanks on their own.

"Big Guy" can be hunter pulled or left alone.

~
With the pull sorted out, all DPS hits up the Warlocks. One then the other.

Then DPS splits. Mages and 'Locks get to go AoE nuts on the rounded up and by now well aggroed goblins while the melee DPS picks on the Spellbinder(s). Hunters tend to go after the gobs, or onto the big guy.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Quote:Avarice style = Pull 'em all.

Feral druid bear forms and runs circles around the goblins, rounding them up and pissing them off.

One hunter pulls each Warlock via LoS pulls to their tank.

Spellbinders are acquired by their tanks on their own.

"Big Guy" can be hunter pulled or left alone.

~
With the pull sorted out, all DPS hits up the Warlocks. One then the other.

Then DPS splits. Mages and 'Locks get to go AoE nuts on the rounded up and by now well aggroed goblins while the melee DPS picks on the Spellbinder(s). Hunters tend to go after the gobs, or onto the big guy.

Anyone can do the cirles on the goblins. An AE spamming mage works fine too, the advantage of the bear is the big HP pool and some nice spammable skills (spamming swipe, and dem roar as you move around). But anyone who can do enough AoE threat to keep the goblins noticing them can do the job.

Spellbinders get 2 rogues each to keep them shut up along with the warrior using shield bash. So yeah spellbinders are essentially tanked by 3 players so they aren't a threat.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Thanks for all the input, if we get past Broodlord tonight (I certainly hope so:)), we'll try the tactics provided.

take care
Nuurabsaal

I'll remember you.
Here's something I always do on spellbinders because I can.
Get it far back in the room, then just kite it around on the warrior.
They are stunnable, they are susceptible to hamstring/phowl;)
Stun, run off, intercept back + hamstring run off, always make sure to stay the heck away from flamestrike spot. Its fun and not nearly as boring-to-tears as standing around whacking shield bash whenever it's up:D

Oh and another great thing to do is to drag it near to your favorite nemesis in the raid and hope the spellbinder polymorphs him/her. Great laughs on that one.
[Image: 104024yQmrG.png][Image: 201194cOrXg.png]
Quote:The real trouble began with the Warlock/Technician groups after Firemaw. We cleared three of those before the fight without too many problems, then wiped 4 times on the next three:P

Somebody relayed a tactic from some high-end guild on our server that said to kill Spellbinders before Warlocks and that just didn't work out for us in the end. The locks do an insane amount of damage (it hurts!) and we had trouble separating them from the techs to keep the lock tanks out of the bomb spam.

Is there a foolproof way to do those groups?

Also, the triple Wyrmguards before Ebonroc pwned us hard, their neverending stun combos made short order of any sort of aggro management. At least we MCed the Elementium smelting guy long enough to give the skill to 5 of our raidmembers.

Any advice on those Wyrmguards would also be very much appreciated. Ebonroc should be easy again, right?
;)
take care
Nuurabsaal

1) On the warlocks my guild has those down quite well. Tanks go up get a sunder or sheild slam on them then runs back to one of the cubbys that is on the right hand side of the supression room (clear the top level before trash pulling) Using a LOS pull like this you can both split the damage up so than less of the raid gets the AOE shadow bolt and the 2 tanks DEFINANTLY don't since they are separated by a wall.

I'm usually the one who just tanks the big guy. I have improved charge so I charge at him, shield slam, and run back to the left side of the room where I tank. Nobody, especially cloth wearers, should be standing where you tank him or anywhere in between. I've killed more than 1 person who thought that corner or area in between looked like a good place to stay out of the way while they healed and instead ate cleave.

The spellbinder(s) are tanked/kited at the back of the room and the goblins at the front. Kill order = warlocks, summons (if any), big guy, spell binders, goblins (if any are left after AOE kiting).

Ugly ACSII picture:
Code:
-----------&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--------&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; G= Goblins
|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; GG&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;B= big guy
|&nbsp;&nbsp; B&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W= warlocks
|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ---|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;S= spellbinders
|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; W|
|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ---|
|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; W|
|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ---|
|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;|
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; S&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;S&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;|
-----------------------

We do this for all the pulls in firemaw's room, and then something similar with firemaw's room for the pulls on the next level.

2) The 3 big guys, or 3 stooges as we call them, can be done easy mode with a free action potion. Considering the cost of mats requried to make one I suggest using them. It saves on repair bills and wasted time. Warriors not tanking should be outside of stun range and ready to pick up ones that get loose. This is even more important if you don't take my advice about the free action potions. And especially if 1 or more spawns green. Note on the first pull like this that the goblin won't pull if you pull the left hand dracanoid.
Quote:1) On the warlocks my guild has those down quite well. Tanks go up get a sunder or sheild slam on them then runs back to one of the cubbys that is on the right hand side of the supression room (clear the top level before trash pulling) Using a LOS pull like this you can both split the damage up so than less of the raid gets the AOE shadow bolt and the 2 tanks DEFINANTLY don't since they are separated by a wall.

I've found that a simple bow shot and run out of LoS is usually sufficient to get a warlock to follow you without opening you up to running through possible goblin fire and rains of fire to get to your target, sunder/shield slam and then running the same gauntlet out.
Quote:The spellbinder(s) are tanked/kited at the back of the room and the goblins at the front. Kill order = warlocks, summons (if any), big guy, spell binders, goblins (if any are left after AOE kiting).

Bolded for clarification. Why kill an easily CC'able mob so 'high' in the order? Those summoned mobs will stay handily/easily banished until everything else is dead. I'd CC and leave them until the very last to die.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Ebonroc down on the first day we tried him (boy is this a strain on the tanks, to make matters worse, I was MT and the only warrior with Mortal Strike:o). After the walk in the park we had had with Firemaw we were quite a bit overconfident and it took us 5 tries ti kill him. As with Vaelastrasz, the tanking is the key it seems:)

We handled the trashmobs in a very unspectacular way in Firemaw's room. one hunter pulls the group to the goblin tank and the wyrmguard tank (far right corner when you enter the room, facing the ramp to the second level), two hunters peel off the warlocks to MT and OT (standing at the left end of the ramp, just around the corner) and the band spell binder is picked up and moved out of the way by tank number five. As Mirajj pointed out, the summons are easily taken care of and we kill warlocks-goblins-wyrmgaurd-spellbinder-summons. Went great.

The triple Wyrmguard pull gave us some trouble again, despite having double tanks on each one and keeping them away from the raid. Eventually two warriors would get the stun or the sleep hax brood affliction (as I have started to call it) and things got messy, we got them down with 10 people standing. Improvement is definately possible here, next time all the tanks will have Free Action Pots, should be easy mode then.

Ebonroc is a tough fight for tanks. We got him to 30% on first try (yay!) only to see him heal to 99% again when two tanks died all of a sudden and the backups got their taunts resisted. Nasty. There are just so many things you have to do at once here as a tank. Build aggro, duh. Check for Shadow of Ebonroc. Check for taunt resists. Check for Wing Buffet. Apply Mortal Strike. Get more aggro. Try to keep Shadow Flame away from the weaker third tank, minding all of the above. Gah! Tough and tiresome, but very entertaining at the same time.

Eventually we just had us tanks on Ebonroc for like 5 minutes without any damage, until we felt the taunt rotation was nailed down and had a ton of aggro to compensate for the buffets. After the kill I felt like taking a loooooooong nap.

We weren't going to use flasks on Flamegor until we felt we could kill him and after a silly death-on-pull by me and two wipes because other tanks died during the fight we called it a night and settled with just one first kill for the week. So far we have been killing a new boss every week we ventured into BWL after besting Vaelastraz on the first day of serious attempts. We might see Nef before TBC comes out after all.

To get a bit back on topic: It was great just running through the suppression room with no mobs in there:P

take care
Nuutabsaal

I'll remember you.