Patch 1.12.1: Major Changes to Mounts!
Quote:Hm... so is this our chance to get cross-faction mounts without the reputation?

Just have a guildmate buy a swift mechanostrider for my Dwarven rogue, for instance, and hang onto it. When the patch hits, he gains the higher riding skill and can suddenly use the mount.

Am I missing something?

I have the same idea for my NE Druid (I hate the NE battlecat), and that may be why Blizzard hasn't said anything about it. Security in Obscurity, anyone?

They can't require exalted to use the mounts (ala BG gear) because that would prevent people from being able to get their own race's mount at 40. They could do something to not grant epic riding skill to people who have an unused epic mount (without another epic mount). So the maximum risk seems to be that you'll have to pay for the epic mount and the epic riding skill (~1600g total?), but you'll have dodged the faction grind.
Even more theorycraft...

How about giftwrapping mounts so they can be traded after the patch?
See you in Town,
-Z
Quote:Even more theorycraft...

How about giftwrapping mounts so they can be traded after the patch?

oooh!

Quote:oooh!

I've done it with an item or two in the past that I knew was going to be BoP shortly. The wrapped gift works similarly to a lockbox then, with the "looting this item will bind it to you" message playing when you go to take it OUT of the box.
See you in Town,
-Z
Quote:WSG is by far my least favorite BG. AB is my favorite. AV is OK, but it's become a very different place with cross server stuff. That might not be a bad thing since one person who cares can have a pretty strong influence on the battle it seems. But right now AV is just a place people go to get faction rep (heck it's why I'm there but I still like to win so I try and even as horde I've now got a winning record in there since I finally know the place).

They're all about equal to me, since I've played the crap out of all three (having reached Exalted on more than one character with all three factions), but Warsong always keeps me coming back for more. It's by far the easiest to play with a PUG; two or three good people can carry the team. It's far harder for those same two or three people to win an AB or AV.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:I have the same idea for my NE Druid (I hate the NE battlecat), and that may be why Blizzard hasn't said anything about it. Security in Obscurity, anyone?

They can't require exalted to use the mounts (ala BG gear) because that would prevent people from being able to get their own race's mount at 40. They could do something to not grant epic riding skill to people who have an unused epic mount (without another epic mount). So the maximum risk seems to be that you'll have to pay for the epic mount and the epic riding skill (~1600g total?), but you'll have dodged the faction grind.
I think the problem with trying to use cross-faction mounts is that they are race-restricted. Similarly to the fact that only Dwarves and Gnomes can use Mechanostriders, Horde will not be able to use any Alliance mounts simply because of the fact that they are not listed as one of the allowed races for that particular mount.

Neat idea however.
Cross faction has already been mentioned by Hortus that they will make sure it doesn't work via the race resrictions. I wouldn't spend gold on hoping this is possible, because it won't be.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote:I think the problem with trying to use cross-faction mounts is that they are race-restricted. Similarly to the fact that only Dwarves and Gnomes can use Mechanostriders, Horde will not be able to use any Alliance mounts simply because of the fact that they are not listed as one of the allowed races for that particular mount.

Neat idea however.

Ah, I think we're taking different meanings of 'cross-faction'. We were discussing dwarf-on-a-mechanostrider and night elf-on-a-horse(or ram) combinations, not gnome-on-kodo.
Quote:...not gnome-on-kodo.
As awesome as that would be. Of course, this option would only be open to the finest gnomish engineers who have learned how to make a [Portable Stepladder].
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:As awesome as that would be. Of course, this option would only be open to the finest gnomish engineers who have learned how to make a [Portable Stepladder].
Tauren + orb of deception + kodo = totally worth the 200g. The poor gnome can't even see over the armor on the epic ones.
Delgorasha of <The Basin> on Tichondrius Un-re-retired
Delcanan of <First File> on Runetotem