Patch 1.12.1: Major Changes to Mounts!
--> Clicky!

Blue post by "Drysc":
Quote: This change was implemented after the latest revision of the patch notes was made available for inclusion into the 1.12.1 patch binary. It will be documented in a future revision however.

There will be effectively two riding skill levels, apprentice and journeyman. The cost for the riding skill will be significantly higher than it previously was, however this is offset by a drastically lower cost for the actual mount.

For current players with mounts there will be a seamless transition to the new system. You will continue to have your mount; you will continue to be able to use it, etc. What this change does for players who don't yet have a mount or an epic mount is take the emphasis off of the mount itself, and put it on the riding skill. This helps give players access to more variety without requiring a large monetary investment if they, for instance, just want to pick a different colored horse.
Nice change overall as it will now allow me to buy yet another, different colored elite mount for 90g for my chars.

I hope, though, that Blizzard is aware of the fact that some people have already bought their level 60 mount in patch 1.12.0 before they become 60, and that these people will not be accidentially charged for another 900g for the new level 60 riding skill once the realms are patched:)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
It's all just more of the conspiracy to make everyone PvP! :)

This change means that you have to get to rank 3 to get the discount on the riding skill to make the big savings instead of having your buddy who is rank 3 buy the mount for you. Really that is the biggest impact I see this having. I'll have to PvP with some of my alts to get the mounts cheaper now. Too bad WSG is the BG that I like the least.

I'm sure this all ties in with the great paladin reagent conspiracy somehow as well, even though I don't see the connection right now. (For those who don't raid with Lurkers on Stormrage I realize this won't make much sense, unless of course your server has uncovered this conspiracy as well, it took us some time to realize about it too). :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:--> Clicky!

Blue post by "Drysc":

Nice change overall as it will now allow me to buy yet another, different colored elite mount for 90g for my chars.

I hope, though, that Blizzard is aware of the fact that some people have already bought their level 60 mount in patch 1.12.0 before they become 60, and that these people will not be accidentially charged for another 900g for the new level 60 riding skill once the realms are patched:)

Damn, now I *have* to buy 70 stacks of runecloth this weekend to get horse riding before this goes into effect...
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
I'm going to be exceptionally pissed if my cows can't rided their frostwolves.
I'm wondering what the riding skill level for the new Nether Dragon mounts will be (maybe 225?) and, even more important, what it will cost:)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Hmm, as it stands I'm currently eight levels shy and a (gargantuan, the typical amount dragons sleep on) stack of gold short from being able to saddle up on my first kodo and promptly increase my gnome-squishing capabilities by 400%.

Not sure about this myself. Ideally, I'd like to be able to ride orc wolves, and lord knows I have to grind enough Orgrimmar reputation to be able to do that. This probably means I'll have to grind more gold than I would have...
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:Not sure about this myself. Ideally, I'd like to be able to ride orc wolves, and lord knows I have to grind enough Orgrimmar reputation to be able to do that. This probably means I'll have to grind more gold than I would have...

It's much easier to get the wolf model under you by grinding Frostwolf faction (Alterac Valley Battleground rep). Not only is the mount significantly cheaper than a normal epic, but there are other perks to getting exalted with AV... one of which is that you get quite a bit of Orgrimmar rep along the way.

There is a color choice, much like Henry Ford offered his first customers... you can have any color you like, as long as it's white.

Tauren look a bit "top heavy" when riding a wolf, but it works.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote:It's much easier to get the wolf model under you by grinding Frostwolf faction (Alterac Valley Battleground rep). Not only is the mount significantly cheaper than a normal epic, but there are other perks to getting exalted with AV... one of which is that you get quite a bit of Orgrimmar rep along the way.

There is a color choice, much like Henry Ford offered his first customers... you can have any color you like, as long as it's white.

Bah Kodo are still the best mounts in the game. You will never change my mind on that. They follow the terrain other mounts just sink into it. That just makes them so much more fun to ride. I just love my kodo. Stampy for life!
---
Quote:Bah Kodo are still the best mounts in the game. You will never change my mind on that. They follow the terrain other mounts just sink into it. That just makes them so much more fun to ride. I just love my kodo. Stampy for life!
Agreed. Bongo for ever! (And his younger brother Lumpy.)

Unless of course I ever level my 49 shaman, in which case: look out riding raptor, here I come! :w00t:
I hate flags

"Then Honor System came out and I had b*$@& tattoo'd on my forehead and a "kick me" sign taped to my back." - Tiku

Stormscale: Treglies, UD Mage; Treggles, 49 Orc Shaman; Tregor, semi-un-retired Druid.

Terenas (all retired): 60 Druid; 60 Shaman. (Not very creative with my character selection, am I?!Wink
Quote:It's much easier to get the wolf model under you by grinding Frostwolf faction (Alterac Valley Battleground rep). Not only is the mount significantly cheaper than a normal epic, but there are other perks to getting exalted with AV... one of which is that you get quite a bit of Orgrimmar rep along the way.

You can get a ton of Orgrimmar rep doing AV too. I got exaulted orgrimmar just a little bit after exaulted with AV and I never did a cloth turnin.
Quote:Damn, now I *have* to buy 70 stacks of runecloth this weekend to get horse riding before this goes into effect...

Is that going to work, though? If you buy the riding skill now (but not the mount) will you get to keep it?

AKA...will my epic mount cost go down b/c I've already trained riding?

EDIT: More information from: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.h...212767&pageNo=3

Quote: I’m going to answer a few of these questions based on the information I currently have on these new features.

Paladins and Warlocks will receive the appropriate level of riding skill when they finish their quests.

When patch 1.12.1 goes live all characters who have a mount in their possession will receive the appropriate level of skill to ride it. If you have the riding skill but no mount, you will receive apprentice riding.

I was told the AV and PVP mounts were both going to require apprentice skill, but this may have changed, I will look into it.

All mounts will now be bind on pickup, and purchasing non-racial mounts will require an appropriate level of faction.

So you might be able to game the system with the purchase of a non-faction mount pre-patch. Just get a friend to buy you that horse/wolf/whatever and skip the rep grind. Any idea when the patch is coming out? I might just get a mount from another faction for the heck of it.:D

Quote:It's all just more of the conspiracy to make everyone PvP! :)

This change means that you have to get to rank 3 to get the discount on the riding skill to make the big savings instead of having your buddy who is rank 3 buy the mount for you. Really that is the biggest impact I see this having. I'll have to PvP with some of my alts to get the mounts cheaper now. Too bad WSG is the BG that I like the least.

I know you're joking around, but it is ridiculiously easy to get to rank 3 right now. My level 52 dwarf priest accidently got to rank 3 after two weeks of off-on PvPing after the last patch. I didn't even win any matches.
Quote:I know you're joking around, but it is ridiculiously easy to get to rank 3 right now. My level 52 dwarf priest accidently got to rank 3 after two weeks of off-on PvPing after the last patch. I didn't even win any matches.

Yeah it's very very simple to hit rank 3. Probably even for an L39 looking to get that first mount cheaper as well. But with the change the big discount from the PvP rank can't be gotten for you by someone else you will have to PvP to get the discount on that toon. For the people out there that hate PvP this could actually be an annoyance.

And Blizzard wanting to get more people into PvP is good business sense. PvP content is easier to make repeatable and fresh than PvE content is.
---
Quote:Yeah it's very very simple to hit rank 3. Probably even for an L39 looking to get that first mount cheaper as well. But with the change the big discount from the PvP rank can't be gotten for you by someone else you will have to PvP to get the discount on that toon. For the people out there that hate PvP this could actually be an annoyance.

And Blizzard wanting to get more people into PvP is good business sense. PvP content is easier to make repeatable and fresh than PvE content is.

How can you hate capture the flag...? :mellow:
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:How can you hate capture the flag...? :mellow:

WSG is by far my least favorite BG. AB is my favorite. AV is OK, but it's become a very different place with cross server stuff. That might not be a bad thing since one person who cares can have a pretty strong influence on the battle it seems. But right now AV is just a place people go to get faction rep (heck it's why I'm there but I still like to win so I try and even as horde I've now got a winning record in there since I finally know the place).
---
Quote:So you might be able to game the system with the purchase of a non-faction mount pre-patch. Just get a friend to buy you that horse/wolf/whatever and skip the rep grind. Any idea when the patch is coming out? I might just get a mount from another faction for the heck of it.:D

Well, I've got a Commander's Ram who's getting very very lonely in my bank, while I've been slowly working on getting my IF rep up (did SW first for the horse). Guess I'll find out if that happens or not...
Onyxia:
Kichebo - 85 NE Druid

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Quote:Well, I've got a Commander's Ram who's getting very very lonely in my bank, while I've been slowly working on getting my IF rep up (did SW first for the horse). Guess I'll find out if that happens or not...

I'm curious about the same. I'd love to prepurchase an epic mechanostrider for my Dwarven rogue... just would hate to see that bite me later on.
See you in Town,
-Z
Quote:I hope, though, that Blizzard is aware of the fact that some people have already bought their level 60 mount in patch 1.12.0 before they become 60, and that these people will not be accidentially charged for another 900g for the new level 60 riding skill once the realms are patched:)

It was mentioned on the test realm forum that this case will be handled by anyone possessing an epic mount getting the appropriate riding skill level, regardless of character level. But of course to use the item, you still need to hit 60 because of the level restriction.

Also, the AV case was discussed.
AV mount will cost 9g, but you will still have to purchase the riding skill. So 900 * 0.8 (discounts) = 720g + 9g = 729g
Current cost is 640g, so the relative cost of these is increasing.

PvP and special drop mounts are supposed to only require the riding skill level of a level 40 mount. It's still questionable if you would eventually need to purchase training anyway if a flying mount requires a higher skill level than the L60 epic mounts.

I'd link to the WoW forum, but it's kind of impacted right now. Maybe I'll add a link tomorrow.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Hm... so is this our chance to get cross-faction mounts without the reputation?

Just have a guildmate buy a swift mechanostrider for my Dwarven rogue, for instance, and hang onto it. When the patch hits, he gains the higher riding skill and can suddenly use the mount.

Am I missing something?
See you in Town,
-Z
Quote:Am I missing something?

I'd check to make sure you can use the item even if it's in your inventory (PTR time?)
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!