I think...we're back online!
Hey all, thanks for sticking around all this time and refreshing the page every 10 seconds for the last few days. Wait, you haven't? Jeez!

Sometime in the morning of September 10th, the posts table of the forum became corrupted. Not corrupted in the sense of all the data turning into mush, but corrupted in the sense of the table indexes getting desynchronized from the data present in the table. When this occurs, the database flags the table as corrupted and denies access. This is a good thing since additional data entry into such a table could wipe/damage data.

Griselda, Noble Forum Administrator Who Doesn't Get Paid Enough, caught the problem first and took the forum offline (thanks Gris), helping to prevent any further problems. I saw it later that day and went to work repairing it.

Unfortunately, this was no easy repair. The posts table is gargantuan. Any attempt to repair it would clog the server down and fill up temporary disk quotas as the server churned through all the data to fix the table. At one point, I had a repair process running for 21 hours before giving up on it - it was so blocked up that the server couldn't even progress.

I knew I was outclassed, so I called in the guys at ServInt, the Lounge's host provider, to help. If you've been with the Lounge for many years, you might be aware that I've had this site hosted at lots of different companies. ServInt is by far the best one I've ever been a client of. Their Support is utterly amazing, garnering responses to tickets within 10 minutes and solving problems when everything seems lost. I can't praise these guys enough; for what I'm paying, I don't deserve the level of support they give, but they give it anyway.

Three different reps got in on the action and managed to save the database over the course of a day through modification of system configuration files, memory and disk space management, and numerous repair attempts, along with a rather nicely-sized email chain back and forth from me to them.

So Huzzah, we're back up, and as far as I know we're okay. That said, if you see anything out of the ordinary (like Doc being a nice guy to people or MongoJerry claiming that "Alliance rulz Horde suxx"), let me know as soon as possible. :)

Putting the board back online...*crosses fingers*

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Testing post replyability. Passed!

Testing post editability. Passed!

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Whoo hoo! Thanks for all you do Bolty and Team.:)
*quickly gets his LL fix as his withdrawal levels were dangerous*

Thanks for everything, Bolty, Gris, and whoever else is deserving thanks from my ignorant self!
------------Terenas------------
Dagorthan – Level 85 Blood Knight
Turothan – Level 83 Blood Knight
Sarothan – Level 62 Blood Knight
Durambar – Level 82 Warrior
Strifemourne – Level 80 Death Knight
Thanks!
I'm still waiting for my backpay and damages check to arrive.

Yes Bolty, I'm looking at YOU

:lol::D

Glad the lounge is back,

Cheers,

Munk
Thank You, to both Bolty and Griselda
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Good job, you guys might be up for promotions soon:)
Bolty, I know people thank you all the time for putting up, and keeping up, the most excellent watering hole on the internet.

But I figured I should do it again anyway.

Thanks again, Bolty. Glad to have the place back.

-Jester
Finally the LL is back. Huzzah

I did start getting withdrawal symptoms:blink:

Sounds like it was demanding repair job! Grats
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Two thumbs up!
Hi,

And once again, thanks to all of you. Somehow, that just doesn't seem like enough to let you know how much what you do for and what you give to this community is appreciated. But, at least for some of us, the Lounge is a significant part of what makes life good.

So, as trite and insufficient as it is: thanks.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I really appreciate your time and effort. Muchas Gracias!
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
#$%&ing piece of #$%&!

Curse-filtering: Passed

---

Just glad I could be of help :lol:

Praise be, oh Bolty ye!
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Was the site down??

:P:D
Grats on getting everything back up! Database repair - yech blech ptu...
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Yay!:DThanks for spending your time to continue our enjoyment:)
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
I think...we're back online!
And therefore we AM!

Kudos to any and all involved with the fix and/or the hosting of what has become my favorite public-terminal time-waster...I mean passtime.

--me
Thanks to all the team who keep the Lounge alive!
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:Angel' date='Sep 13 2006, 04:51 PM' post='117088']
#$%&ing piece of #$%&!

Curse-filtering: Passed

Quoting a user with a "[" as the first character of a username is broken.

edit: also, would it help prevent future annoyances if you archived old threads?
Quote:... edit: also, would it help prevent future annoyances if you archived old threads?
Oh, but there are so many good discussions. It is fun once in awhile to go back a few years and eat crow.

edit: Besides, it's probably not the text that is consuming all the space... *ahem*
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]