1.12 World PvP Preview
IGN once again got the early scoop on the World PvP:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/718/718310p1.html

First impressions - not impressed. While the Eastern Plaguelands event could be fun and is somewhat similar to actual World PvP, the Silithus dust collection seems, frankly, stupid. Worse yet, I don't see what's stopping both sides from getting the Silithus buff, if as the article says, the buff is received after a certain amount of dust is turned in - both sides can turn it in independently of each other, and there is absolutely no incentive for killing other faction!

And the reward - a buff..? It better be something that lasts a really long time and persists through death. Also I am afraid how the population imbalance will affect this... Outnumbered (on most servers anyway) Horde is unlikely to win many of these battles, which in turn gives the Alliance the buffs, making them stronger, and the Horde even less likely to win.

But these are just my initial thoughts! For now, I will trust Blizzard that they know what they are doing... In spite of their many previous mistakes.
worldofwar.net apparently has the official press release:
http://www.worldofwar.net/pressdesk/130706.php

Quote:Worse yet, I don't see what's stopping both sides from getting the Silithus buff, if as the article says, the buff is received after a certain amount of dust is turned in - both sides can turn it in independently of each other, and there is absolutely no incentive for killing other faction!

To answer your question:
The spice counts are reset once either faction collects enough.

Quote:Outnumbered (on most servers anyway) Horde is unlikely to win many of these battles, which in turn gives the Alliance the buffs, making them stronger, and the Horde even less likely to win.
I'm wondering about that, too.
So you run around silithus collecting an extremely valuable resource called "The Spice?"

And he who controls the Spice presumably controls the entire zone?

Can I get a worm as an epic mount if I collect enough?

To the extent I am not underwhelmed, I am annoyed that it doesn't seem like any effort is being made to address faction imbalances.

Buffs for Stratholme and AQ20? A five man instance and an instnance so filled with gimmic fights that stats are almost irrelevent? If you wanna make PvP relevent, extend the buffs to AQ40 and Nax. Then you will see some PvP.
Quote:Worse yet, I don't see what's stopping both sides from getting the Silithus buff, if as the article says, the buff is received after a certain amount of dust is turned in - both sides can turn it in independently of each other, and there is absolutely no incentive for killing other faction!

Read the official press release. If you kill an opposing player carrying the silithyst, you can steal it from them! I think that's pretty cool.

Quote:To the extent I am not underwhelmed, I am annoyed that it doesn't seem like any effort is being made to address faction imbalances.

I'm always more willing to give the benefit of the doubt, when all we have to go on is a small press release. We don't know enough details. I suspect that the zone-wide buffs will just be small gimmicks. The real reward will come from the honor and faction rewards, and of course that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you kill players of the opposing faction.

As far as faction imbalances go, that will always be a problem with world PvP, which is why I've never called for it as strenuously as other people. If you want to complain to Blizzard about not putting in some system that protects the smaller faction, I challenge you to come up with a good world PvP solution that won't get ripped apart by fellow Lurkers much less the WoW community at large. The faction imbalance solution is already in the game: instanced battlegrounds. The 1.12 patch will introduce cross-server battlegrounds that will greatly reduce queue times by removing most of the bottlenecks that have kept the queues so bad for so long. Plus, it'll open up the real possibility that low level battlegrounds will be up and running all the time, which will open up whole possibilities for ongoing low level battleground competition. I know on my server, people are already gearing up level 29 twinks in anticipation of the patch. Blizzard is implementing some outdoor world PvP contests, because thousands of people have demanded it for over a year, and some of the stuff mentioned in the press release sounds like a good start.
Quote:I know on my server, people are already gearing up level 29 twinks in anticipation of the patch.
I read somewhere that Blizzard is going to be introducing a small amount experience for BG kills, to thwart twinks.

Now, I don't remember where I read this. It could easily have been a fabrication by some hopeful lowbie who was getting owned in BGs. If no one else has heard of this, then it probably was.
The error occurred on line -1.
Quote:I read somewhere that Blizzard is going to be introducing a small amount experience for BG kills, to thwart twinks.

Now, I don't remember where I read this. It could easily have been a fabrication by some hopeful lowbie who was getting owned in BGs. If no one else has heard of this, then it probably was.

I read that somewhere as well, and a "Blue" debunked it.

Then again, this could have been some fabrication my mind came up with.
Quote:I read that somewhere as well, and a "Blue" debunked it.

Then again, this could have been some fabrication my mind came up with.

I read the same post--the poster claimed that the test realms were awarding XP instead of honor somewhere (flag caps? bg wins?). The Blizzard poster replying said if it was really occurring, then it was an a bug and not intentional. The gear-matching system they've discussed for the expansion seems a better, more elegant mechanic anyway. /shrug
Quote:I read somewhere that Blizzard is going to be introducing a small amount experience for BG kills, to thwart twinks.

That would be horrible. On the one side, twinks are an anathema to people leveling up their characters. I see that point, and some kind of honor or gear matching system would be nice, but won't be implemented until at least the expansion. However, seen from the other side, twink vs twink matches are great games. The benefit of twinks is that everyone knows what the best gear and enchantments are for that level and those things are easily obtainable by everyone whether you are a hardcore raider or not. So, everyone in a twink vs twink game goes in on a level playing field and the only thing deciding whether you win or lose is your team's collective skill and coordination. I like that.
Quote:I'm always more willing to give the benefit of the doubt, when all we have to go on is a small press release. We don't know enough details.

As far as faction imbalances go, that will always be a problem with world PvP, which is why I've never called for it as strenuously as other people. If you want to complain to Blizzard about not putting in some system that protects the smaller faction, I challenge you to come up with a good world PvP solution that won't get ripped apart by fellow Lurkers much less the WoW community at large.

Yeah, over the past 4 months or so I've stopped giving them the benfit of the doubt. They have made enough boneheaded moves that I could see coming a mile away that they have lost it.

Shammy review that didn't break up cookie cutters, fubared lore, PvP system at the top ranks, PvP system introduced before BG's, the new AV, ten storms being so much worse then EF.... the list goes on and on.

Come up with my own system? That's hard. I already fixed AV for them today. They take my 15$, they should think up the solutions. The easy answer is to reduce the amount of spice needed, or increase the guards, depending on the number of players active in the area. I'm not sure that's fun though.
Quote:That would be horrible. On the one side, twinks are an anathema to people leveling up their characters. I see that point, and some kind of honor or gear matching system would be nice, but won't be implemented until at least the expansion. However, seen from the other side, twink vs twink matches are great games. The benefit of twinks is that everyone knows what the best gear and enchantments are for that level and those things are easily obtainable by everyone whether you are a hardcore raider or not. So, everyone in a twink vs twink game goes in on a level playing field and the only thing deciding whether you win or lose is your team's collective skill and coordination. I like that.

The gear gap between twinked and decently equipped non-twinked is also a lot smaller than endgame PVP. A levelling character in 10-19 and 20-29 can easily get a blue quest reward weapon, buy green level-appropriate gear from the AH and be close to twink stats (barring Crusader etc). Levelling characters are still effective against the very best equipment at thier level. In addition to that twinks rarely enter as groups - I've never seen a whole team of them, presumably because twinks are made for fun not to farm honour/rep.
Quote: The easy answer is to reduce the amount of spice needed, or increase the guards, depending on the number of players active in the area. I'm not sure that's fun though.

That is an excellent idea - if you extend it to the entire server population. Alliance outnumbers Horde 3:1? Well, Horde needs 3x less spice to turn in! Horde outnumbers Alliance 2:1? Alliance gets 2x as many guards for their towers!

P.S. We all keep saying Spice, sandy landscape, in obvious reference to Dune... Well, this screenshot suggests that the Dune theme will go beyond just names...

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/016/016985...39756.html

Perhaps in addition to battling players of other faction, we might have to do some Worm fighting as well.
Quote:Perhaps in addition to battling players of other faction, we might have to do some Worm fighting as well.

That IGN picture looks patched together, and the worm in the background looks like Ouru from AQ40. Since neither the press release nor article mentioned anything about worms in Silithus, it seems more likely that the picture was merely an artist's interpretation of the fact that this silithyst stuff is obviously a reference to Dune. I could be wrong, though, and you never know, there could be some giant worm annimation thing that happens when you turn in enough silithyst. Until we learn more, though, I'm running under the assumption that the pic was photoshopped together by IGN and is not a screenshot coming from Blizzard.
Quote:That IGN picture looks patched together, and the worm in the background looks like Ouru from AQ40. Since neither the press release nor article mentioned anything about worms in Silithus, it seems more likely that the picture was merely an artist's interpretation of the fact that this silithyst stuff is obviously a reference to Dune. I could be wrong, though, and you never know, there could be some giant worm annimation thing that happens when you turn in enough silithyst. Until we learn more, though, I'm running under the assumption that the pic was photoshopped together by IGN and is not a screenshot coming from Blizzard.

Worldofwar.net has the same image:

http://www.worldofwar.net/playershots/inde...cialshot&id=913

Plus, there are these images as well... If you look at this page:

http://pc.ign.com/objects/016/016985.html

The images at the top show another picture with our worm with multiple people around him. I can't find that picture in the screenshots unfortunately =(

Well, like I said, it's a possibility, and not a certain thing... But it would be interesting to see.