Forums Hacked
The LL Forums were hacked today - someone somehow inserted two lines of code into the wrapper skin that the forum uses, causing a redirect to a site that would attempt to install viruses.

If you visited the forum earlier and noticed strange behavior, please check your PC for viruses to be sure nothing was installed on your computer.

As of right now, I'm attempting to find out what the security hole was - likely a script in this forum software that leaves a vulnerability. If anyone has any information on this, please let me know.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,May 20 2006, 06:57 PM Wrote:The LL Forums were hacked  today - someone somehow inserted two lines of code into the wrapper skin that the forum uses, causing a redirect to a site that would attempt to install viruses.

If you visited the forum earlier and noticed strange behavior, please check your PC for viruses to be sure nothing was installed on your computer.

As of right now, I'm attempting to find out what the security hole was - likely a script in this forum software that leaves a vulnerability.  If anyone has any information on this, please let me know.

-Bolty
[right][snapback]110418[/snapback][/right]

Yes, please check your peecee for viri. Macs may be excused. :P

Is everything else ok Bolty?

Can't help but wonder if it was somebody spamming that got banned and wanted a little revenge.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,May 20 2006, 05:38 PM Wrote:Yes, please check your peecee for viri. Macs may be excused. :P

Is everything else ok Bolty?

Can't help but wonder if it was somebody spamming that got banned and wanted a little revenge.
[right][snapback]110422[/snapback][/right]

I would expect that it was someone who found the hole in the invision board and then searched for sites running that version of the software (not that hard with the copyright notice at the bottom).
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Ok folks, we're back online. Forum has been upgraded, so there will be some new features and surprises.

Please report anything not working. With the forum update, the skins required a bunch of manual editing and there may be issues with some functionality.

More info on the LL main page.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I can't help but think that my literacy thesis-thread has drawn in a bad crowd to the Lounge.. Sorry about that..

:P

edit: Holy crap! New edit-feature! Forum hacking, blessings in disguises.:)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Bolty,

Thanks for taking care of this and getting the upgrade up promptly. I'm sure that this is not how you planned to spend your Sunday afternoon, but we appreciate it.:):wub:

Does this mean that you could no longer run the free trial version of IPB?
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
First off, let me say a hearty Damn you Internet Pirates!
[Image: PIRATE.gif]

And a hearty thanks to you Bolty for spending the time to get this forum back up and running so quickly. Now, about the forum updating,
Quote:Angel' date='May 21 2006, 05:04 PM' post='110425']

Agreed. I'm very pleased about the new "Download thread" button. This will help me immensely through a few 3 hour lectures I have in the fall, where there is no wireless internet ;)

Cheers,

Munk
Quote:Angel' date='May 21 2006, 06:04 PM' post='110425']

I gotta see this :huh:

edit: neat :)
I'm glad you're back up and running!

When I got a pop-up here, I hit cancel without even giving it a second thought. When it immediately popped back up again, I realized Lurker Lounge doesn't do spam, and went straight for the power switch. Out of 600,000 files or components on my computer, only 5 were identified as viruses, so I figure 99.999% is like an A+ or something. :whistling: I'm not actually sure if they came from this problem or another site though.

On a *cough* completely unrelated note *cough*, if anyone has not done a Windows update in the last week or two, there has been a fairly recent critical update that you may want to look into. :whistling:
Someone hacked Doc's avatar too. Where's the monkey!

Edit: Oooh, that new edit feature is indeed cool.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Greetings!

Glad to see the lounge is still in one piece! Why would anyone want to attack us Lurkers? I say we form an angry mob and have a lynching!:P

NoMaD

EDIT: This part was intentionaly left off for testing purposes: Ooooh, fresh baked editing goodness:D
R.I.P. Pete! I can't believe you're gone. Sad
l0l d00dz. j00'll n3v4h c4tch m3 & my l33t h4x!
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
You guys made me curious about the editing thing. Hmm... the reply screen seems to have changed too. Though I haven't posted in such a long time that I don't even know if that's a new update, hehe. Oh well, I post when I have something to say, so... Anyway, I'm glad the forum is still up, alive, and all that.

I feel like I should say something... err... Good luck to everybody!

*flees back into the shadows, lurking*

~Lucky

Edit: Yes, the edit box has had a nice change. Oh yes. Shadows. Lurking...
~Lukki
Quoting and Outline view:

It seems that quoting is messing up the text in Outline view now. You see the quoted text in the Outline, rather than the first text by the actual poster.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Funnily enough, I can't get Quick Edit to work in Firefox.

IE works fine, oddly.

Microsoft ftw.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

Quote:Funnily enough, I can't get Quick Edit to work in Firefox.

IE works fine, oddly.

Microsoft ftw.

Hmm ... it's "working" for me ... but the box that shows up while the transition is happening is all white. Are the colors using standard format, or some excuse for code that IE reads but isn't standard?
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote:Hmm ... it's "working" for me ... but the box that shows up while the transition is happening is all white. Are the colors using standard format, or some excuse for code that IE reads but isn't standard?
Basically, here's what happens. Clicking on "Quick Edit" just links back to the thread plus #, anchoring at the top of the thread.

Then nothing happens. The post I'm editing isn't replaced with the Quick Edit box, and oddly enough the Edit popup menu doesn't close.

Hmm.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

Quote:Basically, here's what happens. Clicking on "Quick Edit" just links back to the thread plus #, anchoring at the top of the thread.

Then nothing happens. The post I'm editing isn't replaced with the Quick Edit box, and oddly enough the Edit popup menu doesn't close.

Hmm.

Strange, sounds like something with Javascript messing up. It's not just disabled for you (I'm guessing), because when I disable it here it sends me straight to the full edit without giving me an option for Quick Edit. Do you have Javascript Console running on your Firefox? Might be able to get a reproduceable error message out of it.
Quote:Quoting and Outline view:

It seems that quoting is messing up the text in Outline view now. You see the quoted text in the Outline, rather than the first text by the actual poster.

I think if you eliminate the " name='Quark' date='May 22 2006, 05:38 PM' post='110498'" it works. The plain [ quote ] yaddda [ /quote ] of DeeBye's above worked.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:I think if you eliminate the " name='Quark' date='May 22 2006, 05:38 PM' post='110498'" it works. The plain [ quote ] yaddda [ /quote ] of DeeBye's above worked.

Ooh ... good spot. That helps narrow it down:)
I wouldn't mind helping find this bug if you want, Bolty.