South Park vs. Thetans
Isaac Hayes has left South Park as the voice of Chef.

Check this out: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/TV_...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

I'm disappointed that he'd cite bigotry and religous intolerance as his reason for leaving, since he's had no problem making fun of every other religion out there for the past 8 seasons.

And the best line?
Quote:"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun!" the "South Park" creators said in a statement Friday in Daily Variety. "Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies... You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail!"

I wish this had happened a few months later, so I could be sure to have the Closet episode on the Season 7 dvd. Now I'm worried it might get pulled.

Edit/Addition: HERE is the offending episode.
See you in Town,
-Z
Zarathustra,Mar 20 2006, 09:30 AM Wrote:Isaac Hayes has left South Park as the voice of Chef.

Check this out:  http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/TV_...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

And the best line?
I wish this had happened a few months later, so I could be sure to have the Closet episode on the Season 7 dvd.  Now I'm worried it might get pulled.
[right][snapback]104958[/snapback][/right]

I think South Park should be able to squeeze several more years of success out of this incident :D Talk about making yourself a target!
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
The Scientologists tactics of coercion and blackmail, for controlling their "image" in the media is getting pretty irritating. I say sic the IRS on them!
Signature? What do you mean?
Any1,Mar 20 2006, 01:55 PM Wrote:The Scientologists tactics of coercion and blackmail, for controlling their "image" in the media is getting pretty irritating.  I say sic the IRS on them!
[right][snapback]104961[/snapback][/right]

Too late. The cult cut a deal with them in the 90's, which was exposed in the Wall Street Journal.

The cult's been pretty tame lately; at least they haven't killed anyone that I know of since Lisa McPherson.

It's not surprising Isaac Hayes jumped ship. "Joking and Degrading" is a "crime" in Scientology. See Origins and Policies of Joking and Degrading
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Bun-Bun,Mar 20 2006, 01: Wrote:It's not surprising Isaac Hayes jumped ship. "Joking and Degrading" is a "crime" in Scientology. See Origins and Policies of Joking and Degrading
[right][snapback]104964[/snapback][/right]

He didn't have a problem with "joking and degrading" when it came to any other religion. In fact, he made a pretty penny off the whole thing. Suddenly it's bigotry and intolerance when it's directed at Scientology.
See you in Town,
-Z
Zarathustra,Mar 20 2006, 03:09 PM Wrote:Suddenly it's bigotry and intolerance when it's directed at Scientology.
[right][snapback]104965[/snapback][/right]

Since Scientology doesn't think much of other religions, that's to be expected. After all, other religions are just "mocked up" from the images shown to our Thetans in their indoctrination by the evil Xenu.

It's not unusual in cults. There's a common thread of elitism and us-versus-them in most, if not all, such organizations. Also, when Scientologists use a word, it's quite possible they are using an internal Scientology meaning.

Bigotry = saying anything remotely bad against Scientology
Religious intolerance = suggesting that Scientology might have to abide by the same rules as everyone else
Ethical = conforming to Scientology rules and practices

Scientology is the only religion I know of that uses the word "reasonable" as a pejorative term.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
This showed up on Fark today sometime. Interesting points made by the guy, but it could all just be more conspiracy stuff.
Stormrage
Raelynn - Gnome Warlock - Herbalism/Alchemy
Markuun - Tauren Shaman - Skinning/Leatherworking
Aredead - Undead Mage - Tailoring/Enchanting

Dethecus
Gutzmek - Orc Shaman - Skinning/Leatherworking
All bow down before Hubology!
The R. Kelly bit was freakin' hilarious. And bringing Nicole Kidman in. That part was way funny as well.

EDIT-Holy crap. Is that seriously what Scientology is all about?

EDIT EDIT-LOLZ!!1! About 19:50-the third R. Kelly bit. Raucous guffawing.

EDIT EDIT EDIT-Pretty sneaky credits as well. That guy must have been pretty busy working on it all by himself.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. At least you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes." ~?

Stonemaul - Sneakybast, 51 Rogue
Terenas - Sneaksmccoy, 1 Rogue

Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight!
Premezilla,Mar 20 2006, 03:55 PM Wrote:EDIT-Holy crap.  Is that seriously what Scientology is all about?

[right][snapback]104971[/snapback][/right]
May I suggest a prerusal of Operation Clambake. I found Bare-Faced Messiah particularly interesting. It took a few days to read and digest.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Drasca,Mar 20 2006, 04:58 PM Wrote:All bow down before Hubology!
[right][snapback]104969[/snapback][/right]

WOOT for Fallout 2 References!!!
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
Boycott MI3 I say.

Everyone always said that Jews controled HollyWood. I guess the Scientolgists have real power though.
I just finished reading what Scientology is all about and, unless there is some hidden, second side to this "religion," all I have to say is....

"Holy cooking-crap in a crock pot, Batman!"
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. At least you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes." ~?

Stonemaul - Sneakybast, 51 Rogue
Terenas - Sneaksmccoy, 1 Rogue

Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight!
Bun-Bun,Mar 20 2006, 08: Wrote:Since Scientology doesn't think much of other religions, that's to be expected. After all, other religions are just "mocked up" from the images shown to our Thetans in their indoctrination by the evil Xenu.
According to the article on Scientology in Wikipedia, Scientologist pride themselves on being open-minded and tolerant of other religions. I guess that's why Isaac could make fun of them... :blink:
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
This is the kind of stuff that has driven me nuts regarding religion since I was a little kid. The amount of hypocrisy present within every organized religion.

What was that verse...

Quote:And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? -Matthew 7:3
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Mar 21 2006, 12:22 PM Wrote:This is the kind of stuff that has driven me nuts regarding religion since I was a little kid.  The amount of hypocrisy present within every organized religion.

What was that verse...
[right][snapback]105010[/snapback][/right]

Us doctor types like to call that spiritual malady plankeye. May cause blindness and an embarassed stumble or two here and there. All human beings seem to suffer from it. For the love of God stop helping each other out with this issue and look after your own eyeballs.

All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
jahcs,Mar 21 2006, 12:22 PM Wrote:This is the kind of stuff that has driven me nuts regarding religion since I was a little kid.  The amount of hypocrisy present within every organized religion.

What was that verse...
[right][snapback]105010[/snapback][/right]

My favorite old testament lines regarding religious tolerance:

Deuteronomy 13:1� Wrote:1If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder, 2And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them; 3Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul. 4Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.
  5And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken to turn you away from the LORD your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to thrust thee out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put the evil away from the midst of thee.
  6If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; 7Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth; 8Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: 9But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. 10And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

Makes me wonder whether my parents should have killed me when I decided to adopt the religion of my wife, or if their ancestors neglected their duty when their children announced their Christianity. Maybe we should all pick up our stones and do our duty...
[/ thread jack]

Oh, and I guess scientology also demands that you to file for sole custory of your bastard child. Eh. I just can't buy (wait for it) a religion where your likelihood of salvation depended on your donation. Give me the old presbyterians: when you're born, you're either in, or you're out.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
Maitre,Mar 21 2006, 12:19 PM Wrote:My favorite old testament lines regarding religious tolerance:

Oh, and I guess scientology also demands that you to file for sole custory of your bastard child.  Eh.  I just can't buy (wait for it) a religion where your likelihood of salvation depended on your donation.  Give me the old presbyterians: when you're born, you're either in, or you're out.
[right][snapback]105019[/snapback][/right]
The difference between false prophets and false profits is that being among the former can get you killed, while being among the latter gets you sent to debtors prison, or at least into bankruptcy court, and possibly put in the federal pen for fraud. Such are the wages of worshipping Mammon. ;)

Occhi

EDIT since the words didn't fit correctly
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Mar 21 2006, 03:19 PM Wrote:The difference between false prophets and false profits is that being among the former can get you killed, and while gets you sent to debtors prison, or at least into bankruptcy court, and possibly put in the federal pen for fraud.  Such are the wages of worshipping Mammon.  ;)

Occhi
[right][snapback]105027[/snapback][/right]

I'd rather worship mammaries.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Mar 21 2006, 02:21 PM Wrote:I'd rather worship mammaries.
[right][snapback]105029[/snapback][/right]
What's stopping you?

Occhi
In Memory of Pete