Guild Wars: Factions Preview Event
The event is coming up soon, running from 8:00AM GMT on the 24th of March to 8:00PM on the 27th.

Unlike the PvP event, the preview event is invite-only, so there won't be a set of free account keys to use. Every current Guild Wars account has been granted three invites to send out to anyone who wants them. I have six invites to get rid of.

If you want in, then just reply on this thread with your e-mail address and download the Guild Wars client so you can set up everything in advance of the event. If there's more than six interested replies then I might be able to scrounge a couple of extra invites from guildies and other players, but no promises.

Hey, just try it. You get to play the game for free for a weekend. That can't be bad, can it?
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
I'm also willing to provide two of my keys.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
NiteFox,Mar 14 2006, 03:55 PM Wrote:If there's more than six interested replies then I might be able to scrounge a couple of extra invites from guildies and other players, but no promises.
I'll probably have a couple to give away.

It would be nice if people gave the game another shot. The initial shock that it's not Diablo 3 should be over by now, and over the past year, the game has proven to be very solid and with a good support staff, even though there's no monthly fee. The upcoming game, Factions, doesn't require you to have the original game in order to play, however, you'll miss out on the PvE content and some of the skills (some of which look to be duplicated in Factions under different names) of the original. The 6 classes that currently exist will be available as the "core" classes which anyone can access with skills available to owners of both games, some to owners of the original game only (Prophecies), and some only available to owners of Factions. The basic PvP options available in Prophecies (Random Arenas, Team Arenas, GvG, and the Tournament for the favor of the gods) will be available to Factions only people as well.

Factions intends to focus primarily on PvP content this time around, with a large variety of arenas and missions being put into place. For example, there are a lot of new missions where you will form alliances with other guilds in order to attack/defend territories held by other alliances and earn points. At the end of each day, the alliance with the most points (and this is still sketchy information) will gain control of those territories and shift the boundary line. This link shows a picture that should give you a rough idea of how the system works.

While GW may never be able to compete with the PvE content of WoW, WoW will not likely ever be able to offer the high-end PvP of GW. I've heard that PvP in WoW is about on par with that of D2, in that most skirmishes are determined by how many elite items the players have. That's a lot less of a factor in GW, at most, they can give you a slight edge (i.e. a player with a sword that does 35% extra damage and offers an extra 5 defense, or a player using a superior rune in their armor, giving +3 to an attribute at the cost of 75 life).
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
I'll throw up my Friend Keys for whomever wants to try the game, too. Although I doubt the turnout will be nearly what it was last time. :P
Roland *The Gunslinger*
I'd be interested in trying it out if anyone has a code left. I tried it out back in one of the betas and had a decent time with it. It'll be interesting to see how it's changed.
RTM,Mar 17 2006, 03:27 PM Wrote:I'd be interested in trying it out if anyone has a code left. I tried it out back in one of the betas and had a decent time with it. It'll be interesting to see how it's changed.
[right][snapback]104833[/snapback][/right]
Got plenty. I haven't had any takers for the six I got with my two accounts, and I've been given a seventh with my Factions pre-order.

PM me with a valid e-mail address, and I'll send you one.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

All of mine are given away now, but I'm sure there are still plenty throughout the guild if anyone still wants to join.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
I feel a bit cheeky asking since I don't post in the lounge forum, but I'd be interested in having a look at it if there are any keys going. I tried GW way back on one of their open weekends and enjoyed it, but got hooked on WoWcrack and kind of ignored it. I'd be interested to have a look and see if I want to run out and buy it. :)
I hate flags

"Then Honor System came out and I had b*$@& tattoo'd on my forehead and a "kick me" sign taped to my back." - Tiku

Stormscale: Treglies, UD Mage; Treggles, 49 Orc Shaman; Tregor, semi-un-retired Druid.

Terenas (all retired): 60 Druid; 60 Shaman. (Not very creative with my character selection, am I?!Wink
NiteFox,Mar 17 2006, 02:19 PM Wrote:Got plenty. I haven't had any takers for the six I got with my two accounts, and I've been given a seventh with my Factions pre-order.

PM me with a valid e-mail address, and I'll send you one.
[right][snapback]104858[/snapback][/right]

Got my code, thanks!
Watto44,Mar 20 2006, 12:28 AM Wrote:I feel a bit cheeky asking since I don't post in the lounge forum, but I'd be interested in having a look at it if there are any keys going. I tried GW way back on one of their open weekends and enjoyed it, but got hooked on WoWcrack and kind of ignored it. I'd be interested to have a look and see if I want to run out and buy it. :)
[right][snapback]104932[/snapback][/right]

PM me with your E-Mail.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
I've got about a dozen invites up for grabs. PM me with a valid email for one.
The event is live and underway now, so everyone who has access can get in. If you don't, there are still some invites floating around. Once you're on and make a char, if you want into the guild, just leave your name in this thread (or send a pm if you don't want to disclose your char name for whatever reason) and someone will send out an invitation.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Hehe, this is fun. I'm pretty much just running around noobin' it up at the moment. (On that note, is there a way to rebind the zoom in/out function? I'm living in the 90s and my mouse doesn't have a wheel. :blush: )

Wouldn't mind being the in guild, although I wouldn't take me on any serious questing, since I don't really know what I'm doing. Char name is Stabby Jane. :)

PS. Thanks again for the key Swiss, much appreciated.

edit: On the zoom thing. I guess not. :( Looking through the configuation settings and couldn't see it.
I hate flags

"Then Honor System came out and I had b*$@& tattoo'd on my forehead and a "kick me" sign taped to my back." - Tiku

Stormscale: Treglies, UD Mage; Treggles, 49 Orc Shaman; Tregor, semi-un-retired Druid.

Terenas (all retired): 60 Druid; 60 Shaman. (Not very creative with my character selection, am I?!Wink
Watto44,Mar 24 2006, 10:44 PM Wrote:Wouldn't mind being the in guild, although I wouldn't take me on any serious questing

I'd daresay that alpha testers are about the only ones they do, and they aren't talking. :ph34r:

Did you by any chance manage to check out the Alliance Battles? Talk to an NPC with [Alliance Battles] after his name - he should be in both the major Kurzik and Luxon city.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
Watto44 Wrote:Wouldn't mind being the in guild, although I wouldn't take me on any serious questing, since I don't really know what I'm doing. Char name is Stabby Jane. :)
Invite sent.

SwissMercenary Wrote:Did you by any chance manage to check out the Alliance Battles? Talk to an NPC with [Alliance Battles] after his name - he should be in both the major Kurzik and Luxon city.
Saw them, but didn't bother looking into it. If you need to choose a side to participate, we'll be out of luck for a while, since our current guild leader hasn't been on yet. I wouldn't mind participating in a 12v12 battle royale though...
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Wyrm,Mar 25 2006, 05:14 AM Wrote:If you need to choose a side to participate, we'll be out of luck for a while, since our current guild leader hasn't been on yet.  I wouldn't mind participating in a 12v12 battle royale though...
[right][snapback]105435[/snapback][/right]

You play on the side of whichever faction you traveled from. You also don't need all 12 people on. You don't even need a group - it's a 'random' arena, which allows you to bring a group of at most 4 in. The other slots are filled by other groups, or individual players.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
SwissMercenary,Mar 25 2006, 09:10 AM Wrote:You play on the side of whichever faction you traveled from. You also don't need all 12 people on. You don't even need a group - it's a 'random' arena, which allows you to bring a group of at most 4 in. The other slots are filled by other groups, or individual players.
[right][snapback]105440[/snapback][/right]
True, but if you can hook up with a group of three other people you can at least assume some semblence of cooperation.

And note that since minionmaster Rit/N (Thanks to Boon of Creation) are dreadfully common, expect the typical alliance battle to quickly devolve into a minion-fest. It's really an awesome feeling to be in a battlefield with over a hundred active participants and not feel any lag at all. All hail my mighty mid-range computer.

- Lorna Skeyl, Minionmaster Rit/N
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

NiteFox,Mar 25 2006, 11:38 AM Wrote:True, but if you can hook up with a group of three other people you can at least assume some semblence of cooperation.

And note that since minionmaster Rit/N (Thanks to Boon of Creation) are dreadfully common, expect the typical alliance battle to quickly devolve into a minion-fest.  It's really an awesome feeling to be in a battlefield with over a hundred active participants and not feel any lag at all.  All hail my mighty mid-range computer.

- Lorna Skeyl, Minionmaster Rit/N
[right][snapback]105443[/snapback][/right]

I haven't seen any Rit/N MMs. I have seen a lot of the typical N/Mos.

Either way, after growing sick enough of not being able to off them with my warrior, thanks to Dark Bond, and monk support, I've rolled up a N/E with Spiteful Spirit, Faintheartedness, and Consume Corpse. I believe that those 3 cover all the major annoyances induced by MMs, while also give me an edge in 1v1ing meleers. (Using Armour of Earth, and Enfeebling Blood).

Consume Corpse gets rid of most of their work 'material' in a lovely way, while Spiteful Spirit kills their 'army', should they somehow manage to raise one.

Works wonders on Assassins and Warriors, too.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
SwissMercenary,Mar 25 2006, 08:07 PM Wrote:I haven't seen any Rit/N MMs. I have seen a lot of the typical N/Mos.
[right][snapback]105467[/snapback][/right]
Oh trust me. In my first Alliance battle there was about three apiece on both sides. Boon, Flesh Golem, Minion, Minion, Minion, repeat.

We seriously choked the dragon spawn command point with minions. It was hilarious.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

SwissMercenary,Mar 25 2006, 02:03 PM Wrote:Did you by any chance manage to check out the Alliance Battles? Talk to an NPC with [Alliance Battles] after his name - he should be in both the major Kurzik and Luxon city.
[right][snapback]105431[/snapback][/right]
Those things are fun! I tried to get into one of the co-opperative missions as well, but after waiting a while for the other team to form abandoned it. :(

I'm a little unsure what to do with my faction points though. I found the NPC, who kindly gave me some jadite, but I have no idea where to take it. :blush: Is there anything else you can get for your points apart from crafting materials, and how would I go about getting them. :)

edit: D'oh! Just read the FPE faq and discovered that for the event all I can get is jadite. :( Note to self: read first, ask later. ><
I hate flags