Following through on a fantasy
Rhydderch Hael,Mar 23 2006, 04:51 PM Wrote:Not recommended if you happen to be a drunken Swede driving a $650,000 Enzo Ferrari...
[right][snapback]105262[/snapback][/right]

Don't firetrucks actually cost more than that? I hope the damage to it wasn't too substantial.
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
bigeyedbug,Mar 23 2006, 01:39 PM Wrote:A few years ago I had a girlfriend who was (and is) a train junkie.  For her birthday, I took her to our local Train Junkie / Locomotive Museum and got the tour package that allowed us to 'drive' a steam engine up and down a mile long track a few times.  We never went more than 20 mph I'd guess, but it was FREAKIN' AMAZING to be in semi-control of all those tons of mass and power.  The train was a beauty too.
[right][snapback]105281[/snapback][/right]

Ohhh ! A train ! You got to 'drive' a train! :w00t:

*stifles her inner green-eyed monster* That beats the heck out of a fire truck. :D

And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

GenericKen,Mar 23 2006, 11:56 AM Wrote:Don't firetrucks actually cost more than that? I hope the damage to it wasn't too substantial.
[right][snapback]105292[/snapback][/right]
The Enzo Ferrari is a 12-cylinder super-sportscar. It's actually the fastest street-legal Ferrari yet made. The one that Stephan Eriksson crashed in Malibu last month was a total loss, having been severed clean in half by the impact through the power pole.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Doc,Mar 23 2006, 02:07 PM Wrote:Actually, if I wanted to realise my dream, I'd need a good car. A really good car. Not sure which type, but probably older heavy iron souped up a bit. Or maybe something newer. I dunno. Maybe something with a nitro burner.

And travel out to the salt flats of Death Valley where they still do high test runs on big beastly cars and motorbikes, as well as play death defying games of chicken with chance and fate.

That's where whatsisname got his rocket powered cycle past the 300mph mark. And somehow managed to keep two wheels on the ground most of the time.
[right][snapback]105286[/snapback][/right]

I read an article in Car and Driver or One of those about a track test of the ENZO, the new Ford GT-40, and the latest super Porsche (can't remember the designation of those blasted things). It was called the "Quest for 2oo mph" or some such silliness. Basically they took the three cars our on the track and tested the top speed I can't remember what the overall winner was, but the Ford ended up the value winner at 200.3 mph for just under 160K. The other two were in the 207-212 range for much more $$$. If you're looking for the easiest way to 200 mph, you might look into the Ford. If you're looking for the cheapest way to have the wind rushing through your locks at over 200 mph, look into open cockpit biplane rides. Well under $160K, but also much higher off the ground.

Regarding Occhi's comment regarding the high end Mercedes, I'd say skip it and go for the Porsche if you want German speed on German roads. I'm not sure what the SLR McLaren gets up to, but its probably the only thing close.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
Maitre,Mar 23 2006, 04:12 PM Wrote:I read an article in Car and Driver or One of those about a track test of the ENZO, the new Ford GT-40, and the latest super Porsche (can't remember the designation of those blasted things).  It was called the "Quest for 2oo mph" or some such silliness.  Basically they took the three cars our on the track and tested the top speed I can't remember what the overall winner was, but the Ford ended up the value winner at 200.3 mph for just under 160K.  The other two were in the 207-212 range for much more $$$.  If you're looking for the easiest way to 200 mph, you might look into the Ford.  If you're looking for the cheapest way to have the wind rushing through your locks at over 200 mph, look into open cockpit biplane rides.  Well under $160K, but also much higher off the ground.

Regarding Occhi's comment regarding the high end Mercedes, I'd say skip it and go for the Porsche if you want German speed on German roads.  I'm not sure what the SLR McLaren gets up to, but its probably the only thing close.
[right][snapback]105299[/snapback][/right]

Biplane?

What an idea! I could be the Dread Baron!
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Maitre,Mar 23 2006, 03:12 PM Wrote:Regarding Occhi's comment regarding the high end Mercedes, I'd say skip it and go for the Porsche if you want German speed on German roads.  I'm not sure what the SLR McLaren gets up to, but its probably the only thing close.
[right][snapback]105299[/snapback][/right]
I don't think you can rent hot Porsches, but I could be mistaken.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Actually, I do not much care for Porsches.

Tar and feather me if you will, but I do not like how 'light' the front end feels in deep steering and the feeling of the front tires slipping over the roadway, and the momentum drag on the back end. I don't much care for it at all. I am not alone in this feeling. The Porsche is just not stiff enough.

I have drove a Volkswagen Karmann Ghia with a Porsche mill planted in it and some custom work... And I must say, that car cornered like it was on rails. It is a shame that the model was never developed to it's full potential. Due to the unibody design, the car didn't contort or flex as much in tight turns at high speeds. My only complaint about it, and other cars like it, is that I am built like an ape. And I don't much care for slamming my elbow in to the door or the window while turning. Most of the time I drive with my hands on the 7 o clock and 5 o clock positions and 'pass' the wheel from one hand to the other in deep turns, but there are occasions where I must manhandle the steering. If you could imagine an orangutang stuffed in to a small compact car, you have a working picture of what I look like in there. Oooh oooh ooh.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."