Beware the Chenesaw
Occhidiangela,Feb 14 2006, 06:45 PM Wrote:Returning this topic to the purpose of this board is a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

It just occurred to me that Hunter's can draw agro from the Press monsters, even when not doing much in the way of DPS.   ;) 

Occhi
[right][snapback]102005[/snapback][/right]

I hear lawyers drop phat lewt.

:whistling:
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
GenericKen,Feb 14 2006, 01:15 PM Wrote:I hear lawyers drop phat lewt.

[right][snapback]102012[/snapback][/right]
This may evoke a smile.

On the media madness note, the local paper down here, the Corpus Christi Caller Times, aka Fish Wrapper, scooped this story for a simple reason.

Sarita, Texas, is north of the Armstrong Ranch and south of Kingsville, which is south of Corpus Christi and north of Brownsville. Look at a Texas map, and you will see that Sarita, Texas, is in the vicinity of Nowhere, just beyond the infamous King Ranch.

The local reporter had a professional relationship with some of the local ranch owners thanks to the various local stories centered on their ranches. She was seen, apparently, as a semi trustable media person. After the oopsie, the lady of the Armstrong Ranch called the reporter, name of Powell, with some initial information.

The whole media firestorm is a matter of intense professional jealousy, as I see it. Someone from a backwater local paper, who knows some local people, scooped all of the meat puppets of "national media" on a VP story. The national meat puppets scream "cover up." Screw them, that is the cry of jealous rage.

The sense of betrayed entitlement to "news from VP's office on his gaffes" comes from the simple fact that they got scooped by a South Texas newspaper reporter, a country rube in their eyes.

I am still giggling over that.

Occhi

EDIT for atrocious spelling.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
GenericKen,Feb 14 2006, 09:15 PM Wrote:I hear lawyers drop phat lewt.

[right][snapback]102012[/snapback][/right]

I do? Lemme go shoot myself so I can check... :P
Now, apparently some of the pellets are lodged near the poor guys heart. He's already had a "mild" heart attack. They are considering open heart surgery, on a 78-year-old man no less, to remove the shots.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060214/pl_n...ccident_dc

I wonder if there was a blood alchohol check necessary for all involved.
Signature? What do you mean?
Any1,Feb 15 2006, 01:44 AM Wrote:I wonder if there was a blood alchohol check necessary for all involved.
[right][snapback]102047[/snapback][/right]

Speaking from a position of ignorance, what difference would that make? I can't seriously consider intoxication to be an excuse for any action.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
Well, there were quite a few beers involved, but that is being scrubbed from the stories.

Also, when VP, you can get away with anything.

However, when your name is Juan Garza Mendoza, who was also in a hunting accident this weekend, You get charged with manslaughter. Note to self... When unfortunately born with brown birthday suit, do not get in to any hunting accidents.

As for the beer issue being scrubbed, the internet is a wonderful place you know. BEER!

All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
SwissMercenary,Feb 14 2006, 09:57 PM Wrote:Speaking from a position of ignorance, what difference would that make? I can't seriously consider intoxication to be an excuse for any action.
[right][snapback]102052[/snapback][/right]

You have the reasoning backwards. You are legally more culpable for an "accident" that happens while you are intoxicated because your decision to drink is possibly the cause of the accident.
Doc,Feb 14 2006, 09:09 PM Wrote:Also, when VP, you can get away with anything.

[right][snapback]102055[/snapback][/right]
Doc, the pinball machine just went "tilt." You ought to know better, my old and wrinkled friend.

Spiro T Agnew.

The dope killed your memory. So, what, you make stuff up?

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Ghostiger,Feb 15 2006, 03:12 AM Wrote:You have the reasoning backwards. You are legally more culpable for an "accident" that happens while you are intoxicated because your decision to drink is possibly the cause of the accident.
[right][snapback]102056[/snapback][/right]

And here I thought the world was entirely insane.

Thanks.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
Occhidiangela,Feb 15 2006, 12:11 AM Wrote:Doc, the pinball machine just went "tilt."  You ought to know better, my old and wrinkled friend. 

Spiro T Agnew.

The dope killed your memory.  So, what, you make stuff up?

Occhi
[right][snapback]102065[/snapback][/right]

Ah, Spiro Agnew and the Dick he answered to...

All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Feb 14 2006, 07:09 PM Wrote:Also, when VP, you can get away with anything.

However, when your name is Juan Garza Mendoza, who was also in a hunting accident this weekend, You get charged with manslaughter. Note to self... When unfortunately born with brown birthday suit, do not get in to any hunting accidents.
[right][snapback]102055[/snapback][/right]

I wasn't aware that the VP killed anybody... Are you implying that the VP should be charged? From the reports I've seen everyone at the scene, including the victim, say it was an accident.

The VP has been confirmed as not having the correct stamp on his license. What other charges would you file? Criminal negligence? Maybe. Assault? I don't think so.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Feb 15 2006, 11:59 AM Wrote:I wasn't aware that the VP killed anybody...  Are you implying that the VP should be charged?  From the reports I've seen everyone at the scene, including the victim, say it was an accident.

The VP has been confirmed as not having the correct stamp on his license.  What other charges would you file?  Criminal negligence?  Maybe.  Assault?  I don't think so.
[right][snapback]102095[/snapback][/right]

Well, the VP was slobbering drunk for one thing.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Feb 15 2006, 12:56 PM Wrote:Well, the VP was slobbering drunk for one thing.
[right][snapback]102103[/snapback][/right]

Was a sobriety test run on him?
Tal,Feb 15 2006, 10:21 AM Wrote:Was a sobriety test run on him?
[right][snapback]102105[/snapback][/right]

A link provided in Doc's own link:

Philly Inq.

Quote:The L.A. Times is edging closer to the most likely reason for the 18 hour delay in reporting that the Vice President of the United States shot someone:

"This was a hunting accident," said Gilbert San Miguel, chief deputy of the Kennedy County Sheriff's Office. "There was no alcohol or misconduct."

How do we know there was no alcohol? Cheney refused to talk to local authorities until the next day. No point in giving him a breathalyzer then. Every lawyer I've talked to assumes Cheney was too drunk to talk to the cops after the shooting. The next question for the White House should be: Was Cheney drunk?

Among his evidence? The observation that rich Republicans sometimes drink riotously at Ivy League tailgate parties.

And a statement that Cheney was "slobbering drunk" without evidence, such as corroborating witness statements, is irresponsible.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Doc,Feb 15 2006, 11:56 AM Wrote:Well, the VP was slobbering drunk for one thing.
[right][snapback]102103[/snapback][/right]
Where does that allegation come from? (Note: Alligators are from Florida, not Texas. :lol: ) Methinks you accuse without basis, called by some libel.

Or are there some facts to support that remark?

jahcs: If the gentleman who was "peppered" dies, a charge of involuntary manslaughter or negligent homicide could be brought against the VP. Likewise, if it can be shown that VP Cheney was indeed inebriated while handling a firearm, he may be culpable under some firearms laws, or simply under civil action for negligence.

It all depends upon the FACTS surrounding the accident.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
jahcs' article link Feb 15 2006, 12:4 Wrote:How do we know there was no alcohol? [right][snapback]102111[/snapback][/right]
Isn't that begging the question?

Here's another question of the same type: How do we know there was no pedophilia going on in Kofi Annan's office last night? I too can create a baseless charge phrased as a question. Booo. Hisss.

Screwing up with a firearm does not require as a precondition alcohol in the blood, nor does screwing up with a car.

Not trying to defend the VP here, he appears to have handled a shotgun carelessly while hunting with friends. That is messed up. But the leaps of intuition masquerading as information are appalling.

Of course, he could have been drunk off his butt. *shrugs* We'll probably never know.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Feb 15 2006, 01:52 PM Wrote:Where does that allegation come from?  (Note: Alligators are from Florida, not Texas.  :lol:  ) Methinks you accuse without basis, called by some libel.

Or are there some facts to support that remark?

jahcs: If the gentleman who was "peppered" dies, a charge of involuntary manslaughter or negligent homicide could be brought against the VP.  Likewise, if it can be shown that VP Cheney was indeed inebriated while handling a firearm, he may be culpable under some firearms laws, or simply under civil action for negligence.

It all depends upon the FACTS surrounding the accident. 

Occhi
[right][snapback]102112[/snapback][/right]

Don't you people know how to click the beer link I posted?

In a statement given to police by people on the ranch... Blah blah blah. CBS and CNN and all the other hokey news channels reported it and then immediately retracted their stories. Stories still existed in various internet caches though. Boohoo.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Oh, and his own words...

"Yes, we had been drinking. But only a little."

Sure...
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
jahcs,Feb 15 2006, 01:49 PM Wrote:And a statement that Cheney was "slobbering drunk" without evidence, such as corroborating witness statements, is irresponsible.
[right][snapback]102111[/snapback][/right]

That is sorta what I was going for with my question. :)
Occhidiangela,Feb 15 2006, 10:52 AM Wrote:jahcs: If the gentleman who was "peppered" dies, a charge of involuntary manslaughter or negligent homicide could be brought against the VP.  Likewise, if it can be shown that VP Cheney was indeed inebriated while handling a firearm, he may be culpable under some firearms laws, or simply under civil action for negligence.
[right][snapback]102112[/snapback][/right]

Agreed. And as of now I believe the peppered lawyer is still alive. Hmm, I wonder if peppered lawyer is like pepper jerky? <_<

P.S. The link I quoted from is from within the "BEER!" link.
The Bill of No Rights