Beware the Chenesaw
Occhidiangela,Feb 15 2006, 01:11 AM Wrote:Spiro T Agnew.
[right][snapback]102065[/snapback][/right]
Oh Occhi.

Thank you for reminding me of one of the world's best anagrams. :lol:
The error occurred on line -1.
Wow, it's amazing, every news feed that picks up on the fact that Cheney is infact a raging alcoholic (tossed out of Yale, a couple of DUIs, and reportedly does a lot of drinking on the job) has the story scrubbed and cleaned up within hours of reporting it.

It's like some unknown force is trying to clean up some big mess and make everything and clean and tidy. I wonder who would do that, and why? Hmmm?

Add to the fact that the Secret Service themselves were the ones who prevented the local badges from questioning the VP "fearing for his safety".

Quote:This is where the hunting accident "incident" becomes a serious matter. The role played by the Secret Service in preventing questioning of Cheney on the evening of the shooting becomes takes on new significance. If Cheney was in any way impaired at the time of the shooting, it was certainly to the vice president's advantage put off the official investigation until the next morning.

Cheney may be able to say, unequivocally, that he was not in an impaired condition when he shot Whittington. But he does now need to start speaking to this precise issue and to all of the other questions that have been raised -- and, no, it is not enough for the vice president to take a few softballs on Fox News, the administration's house network, as the White House crisis management team arranged for him to do at 2 p.m. ET Wednesday.

When legitimate questions arise regarding the role that the Secret Service might have played in undermining the investigation of a shooting in order to protect the vice president from embarrassment, and possible legal charges, those issues have to be addressed fully and completely. And they must be addressed in a setting where reporters are able to press the notoriously cagey Cheney to actually answer all of the questions that are asked.

Up to now, the whole "hunting-accident" controversy has been little more than a diversion from more serious matters involving Cheney -- not least among these, the investigation into whether the vice president authorized the release of classified information as part of a scheme to discredit critics of the administration's rush to war. But if Cheney used his Secret Service unit to prevent a necessary and proper official inquiry at a time when it might have uncovered relevant information regarding his condition when he shot a man, then the vice president has abused his office in a most serious manner.

The prospect that such an abuse occurred requires Cheney and any White House aides who were involved in "managing" the story -- put Karl Rove at the top of this list -- to stop stonewalling and provide a detailed explanation of their actions in the hours that followed the shooting incident. This is certainly not the only issue on which the vice president needs to come clean, but it is no longer a joking matter -- or, more precisely, it is no longer merely a joking matter.

Taken from a news feed before it becomes scrubbed. We can already see some clear evidence that somebody is scared enough to abuse their power and have this whole thing sanitised. I wonder what sort of threat it takes to silence the media. Perhaps they are worried about looking weak in the terrorist's eyes... Or maybe the current administration firmly believes that the public needs to be protected from the truth... Just like it needs to be protected by having illegal wiretaps.

Anyhoo, what sort of heat are they packing to quiet the media so effectively I wonder? Maybe Rove is threating to have people killed again.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Feb 15 2006, 01:04 PM Wrote:Don't you people know how to click the beer link I posted?
[right][snapback]102116[/snapback][/right]
The conclusions you leapt to from that sparse bit of "reporting," not to mention the regimen a man his age is on thanks to his heart condition, tells me you are adding inference to the sparse outline of facts.

Anyone is allowed to get exercise leaping to conclusions, I have done it myself on occasion. Make sure you land on your feet. :D Cheney being a drunken student in college does not necessarily follow, 50 years later, as a drunken old man.

Quote:Wow, it's amazing, every news feed that picks up on the fact that Cheney is infact a raging alcoholic (tossed out of Yale, a couple of DUIs, and reportedly does a lot of drinking on the job) has the story scrubbed and cleaned up within hours of reporting it.

Thank you, Doctor Hyperbole.

The funny part is, it doesn't matter that Cheney may or may not have had a frosty before peppering his buddy with birdshot. To me the funny thing is that he has gone out of his way to dis the media, to sneer at them, to play the old curmudgeon with them, and now that he has built up an immense bank account, negative balance, of good will with the media he is finding out, for this week's media circus, that

Payback is a Bear.

Karma, at the very least, is at work here. :lol: :shuriken: :whistling:

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I've heard the "Breaking News" on my lunchbreak that Mr. Cheney accepts full responsibility for shooting his friend. His statement includes that he is the one that pulled the trigger so the blame falls on him.

Kudos to Mr. Cheney for standing up, and taking responsibility for, to the fact that guns don't shoot themselves, that the decision to pull the trigger lies solely with the shooter, and that once fired you can't call the bullets (or birdshot) back.

It still doesn't change the fact that the normal cause for hunting accidents is irresponsible behavior, whether alcohol may be involved or not.

I still think this whole thing is being blown out of proportion by the media and the politicians.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Feb 15 2006, 04:26 PM Wrote:I've heard the "Breaking News" on my lunchbreak that Mr. Cheney accepts full responsibility for shooting his friend.  His statement includes that he is the one that pulled the trigger so the blame falls on him.

Kudos to Mr. Cheney for standing up, and taking responsibility for, to the fact that guns don't shoot themselves, that the decision to pull the trigger lies solely with the shooter, and that once fired you can't call the bullets (or birdshot) back.

It still doesn't change the fact that the normal cause for hunting accidents is irresponsible behavior, whether alcohol may be involved or not.

I still think this whole thing is being blown out of proportion by the media and the politicians.
[right][snapback]102133[/snapback][/right]
It is a smokescreen, like the Monica BJ affair, that is being deliberately used to bait the media into paying attention to something innocuous, and to lose prominence on such things as Mr Libbey and the Budget and the usual other stuff.

Or it isn't. :shuriken:

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Feb 15 2006, 02:32 PM Wrote:It is a smokescreen, like the Monica BJ affair, that is being deliberately used to bait the media into paying attention to something innocuous, and to lose prominence on such things as Mr Libbey and the Budget and the usual other stuff.

Or it isn't.  :shuriken:

Occhi
[right][snapback]102134[/snapback][/right]

Oh, yeah, like "Our economy is in the tank... even though they are inching up the interest rates to keep it from growing so fast we get inflation." :)
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Zippyy,Feb 16 2006, 08:48 AM Wrote:Oh Occhi.

Thank you for reminding me of one of the world's best anagrams. :lol:
[right][snapback]102124[/snapback][/right]
new pro-iTags?
Occhidiangela,Feb 14 2006, 11:30 AM Wrote:I heard on the local news this m orning that the State of Texas is a bit perturbed with VP Cheney, given that he was apparently hunting on a license without the correct stamp for what he was out hunting.  Not humans, birds. Humans are always in season, in Texas.  ;)  That's because we are all well seasoned down here, what with all the Tex Mex we eat . . . sorry about the groaner puns.

Poaching, Mister Vice President?  Sounds like a hefty fine.  Good.  Pay up, or become a fugitive from the State of Texas.

Walker, Texas Ranger: you know what to do!

Occhi

PS: From this summary of reports on the tempest in a teapot:
[right][snapback]102002[/snapback][/right]

I haven’t read any news articles on this yet, however I was under the impression that the shooting happened on a private Ranch. If they were hunting on private property, isn’t that their own business?
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
MEAT,Feb 16 2006, 10:43 PM Wrote:I haven’t read any news articles on this yet, however I was under the impression that the shooting happened on a private Ranch. If they were hunting on private property, isn’t that their own business?
[right][snapback]102247[/snapback][/right]
Lawyers are always out of season, even though they are not that rare. :D

In the US you must still abide by the hunting season laws. Much hunting is done on private land.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

kandrathe,Feb 16 2006, 09:27 PM Wrote:Lawyers are always out of season, even though they are not that rare.  :D

In the US you must still abide by the hunting season laws.  Much hunting is done on private land.
[right][snapback]102249[/snapback][/right]

Interesting, I guess I've broken the law a couple of times. Shuuu, don't tell anyone :whistling: .
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
MEAT,Feb 16 2006, 09:43 PM Wrote:I haven’t read any news articles on this yet, however I was under the impression that the shooting happened on a private Ranch. If they were hunting on private property, isn’t that their own business?
[right][snapback]102247[/snapback][/right]
No.

Nearly all land you can hunt on in Texas is privately owned. The Law does not end at your property line, otherwise I could invite some particular local idiots over to my house, kill them, and not be prosecuted.

What were you thinking?

Occhi

In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Feb 19 2006, 05:28 AM Wrote:otherwise I could invite some particular local idiots over to my house, kill them, and not be prosecuted.
[right][snapback]102372[/snapback][/right]

Yes, this is so very true. To be honest, I never really gave it much thought until this Cheney incident. When I was young, my father, and his father would go out on a private ranch and would hunt live game - usually quail - and I remember asking them once if it was legal without a license and they said, "yes." As a kid, I just took it at face value and never really thought about it again until now.
whyBish,Feb 16 2006, 05:19 AM Wrote:new pro-iTags?
[right][snapback]102169[/snapback][/right]
Nope.

Spiro Agnew --> "Grow a penis"

:w00t:
The error occurred on line -1.
MEAT,Feb 19 2006, 12:54 PM Wrote:Yes, this is so very true. To be honest, I never really gave it much thought until this Cheney incident. When I was young, my father, and his father would go out on a private ranch and would hunt live game - usually quail - and I remember asking them once if it was legal without a license and they said, "yes." As a kid, I just took it at face value and never really thought about it again until now.
[right][snapback]102389[/snapback][/right]
And I once dined on "slow elk" out in West Texas.

What is a slow elk?

This one was a two point cow that showed up one October morning on Snake's Rustic Ranch and drank from his game tank. (aka a pond meant to attract dear.) He dropped it with a Marlin 30/30, and had it gutted and quartered within half a day.

Best tasting elk I'd had that year. Snake was a hell of a cook.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Doc,Feb 15 2006, 03:55 PM Wrote:Wow, it's amazing, every news feed that picks up on the fact that Cheney is infact a raging alcoholic (tossed out of Yale, a couple of DUIs, and reportedly does a lot of drinking on the job) has the story scrubbed and cleaned up within hours of reporting it.
[right][snapback]102127[/snapback][/right]

On this topic: it's sort of amusing to note that the Exclusive Fox interview with cheney edited out the part where cheney admitted to drinking a beer before going out hunting. On the Fox News website where they claim to have the complete transcript of the interview it is also edited out. The official transcript from the White House, however, includes the comment.

Not that i'm suprised coming from Fox.
Chesspiece_face,Feb 19 2006, 02:28 PM Wrote:On this topic:  it's sort of amusing to note that the Exclusive Fox interview with cheney edited out the part where cheney admitted to drinking a beer before going out hunting.  On the Fox News website where they claim to have the complete transcript of the interview it is also edited out.  The official transcript from the White House, however, includes the comment.

[right][snapback]102393[/snapback][/right]
Oh my goodness, a smoking gun . . . so to speak.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Feb 19 2006, 06:20 PM Wrote:Oh my goodness, a smoking gun . . . so to speak.

Occhi
[right][snapback]102399[/snapback][/right]

Allow me to be the first... I hate to say I told you so. :P
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Feb 19 2006, 07:53 PM Wrote:Allow me to be the first... I hate to say I told you so. :P
[right][snapback]102400[/snapback][/right]
Do I need to put sarcasm tags on my post again? Did you read what Mr Whittington said?

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Feb 20 2006, 07:34 AM Wrote:Do I need to put sarcasm tags on my post again?  Did you read what Mr Whittington said?

Occhi
[right][snapback]102423[/snapback][/right]

D'oh. Sorry. Sarcasm.

[Image: slap.gif]
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Slobbering DRUNK!
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."