Okay, I've changed my mind
[wcip]Angel,Jan 18 2006, Wrote:Also, there are some who claim to see  the shape of "Pyramid Head" in the trailer for the upcoming  Silent Hill Movie. It's towards the end; the thing hitting the camera with a ragdoll or something :)
[right][snapback]99566[/snapback][/right]

There's a new SH trailer out, and here is a screenshot of a small fragment of frames.
[Image: ph7yr3te.jpg]
SwissMercenary,Jan 20 2006, 09:27 AM Wrote:I'm pretty sure that there's an alternative way to bypass every key door in the game, be it with lockpicks, hacking a terminal, explosives, or taking a good long time crawling around the vent shafts (Or just finding another key on a table).

Was it an MIB or a Mech Commando? If so, then I'm quite sure that none of them carry game-breaking keys.
[right][snapback]99682[/snapback][/right]
Turns out that what I thought was a gas grenade was actually a nono-key :P
DeeBye,Jan 19 2006, 11:09 PM Wrote:It seems to me that a lot of what James experienced in Silent Hill was self-created.  A lot of it was in his mind.  James was being tormented by demons as a sort of self-imposed punishment for what he did to Mary.  Laura was certainly real enough, but lots of clues point to Maria being a figment of James' imagination.

I guess the short answer is that the demons, real or not, were only interested in persuing James.  They were drawn by his deep-seeded feelings of guilt.
Hot diggidy! That's right! That's exactly right! I didn't 'get' that the first times I played it. Perhaps you don't need a plot guide after all. (Read it anyway, there are lots of details you may have missed).

From the guide:
By the time we reach the "special place", which ends up being Room 312
inside the Lake View Hotel, we know what sin James is guilty of. This
explains to us why he has seen the things he's seen, and why he has
been forced to watch helplessly as Maria dies over and over again. In
Silent Hill, the driving force of nature is perspective. Silent Hill is
what you bring to it
, and the demons that have plagued James' soul have
taken physical form and now are seeking vengeance.

Rinnhart,Jan 20 2006, 01:44 AM Wrote:It's been a few years, but I vaguely recall a rifle and it punching straight through PH's silly hat.
[right][snapback]99696[/snapback][/right]

Yes, there is a rifle, but it's slow as hell, and not as powerful as you one might assume. (Even though it's one of the strongest weapons in the game. Nothing beats the chainsaw though :P)

Deebye, thanks for the tip on the new trailer. I'll check it out!

edit: Wow!! That was *so* much better than the teaser! I can't wait. Silent Hill will the the movie to break the tradition of horrible game-->movie-translations. This looks to be a real blockbuster. And I actually cheered while watching the trailer once I heard Akira Yamaoka's Promise (Reprise). Obviously, there will be no "Theme of Laura", seeing as there's no "Laura"... but I sincerely hope they use more music from SH2, especially "Promise" and Promise reprise.

Wohoo! This is going to kick donkey!
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
While I love horror movies, I don't think I will be watching.

Pyramid Head causes to many jibblies. Seriously. Something about how he looks just weirds me out for reasons I can not explain.

Don't think I'll play the game either.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
According to the bonus disc on the European release of SH2, the big triangle on his head was supposed to show that he was in constant pain.

I didn't know the word "skewered" until I played Silent Hill II :P

[Image: COOL.jpg]
[wcip]Angel,Jan 20 2006, Wrote:According to the bonus disc on the European release of SH2, the big triangle on his head was supposed to show that he was in constant pain.

I didn't know the word "skewered" until I played Silent Hill II :P

[Image: COOL.jpg]
[right][snapback]99728[/snapback][/right]

Great. Lots of nightmares I forsee.

**Shudder**

It's something about the geometry of his head. The shape. It bothers me. Can't put me finger on it, but it makes me either feel very very violent and wanting to start shooting something, or run away. It's triggering something deep in my psyche but I am not sure what or why.

But I do believe I am associating it with something and I believe there is some psychological displacement going on.

Really. Don't like it.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Oh. I think I figured it out.

[Image: story.vert.kkk.hood.jpg]

No wonder I really don't like Mr Pyramid head and he gives me the creeps.

He reminds me of the red hoods that high ranking blood officers of the KKK wear. Which is really a whole can of worms in terms of unpleasant memories. Imagine seeing a couple of these guys out in front of your house burning a cross in your yard... Or killing your kids. Or slaughtering your livestock. Or doing any number of obcene things they do.

I don't think I could ever play this game. Or see this movie. :(
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Jan 20 2006, 10:48 AM Wrote:Oh. I think I figured it out.

[Image: story.vert.kkk.hood.jpg]

No wonder I really don't like Mr Pyramid head and he gives me the creeps.
[right][snapback]99731[/snapback][/right]

I was thinking he looked like a stylised executioner (which fits right in with the plot btw), but yours is pretty creepy too.
DeeBye,Jan 20 2006, 10:47 AM Wrote:I was thinking he looked like a stylised executioner (which fits right in with the plot btw), but yours is pretty creepy too.
[right][snapback]99741[/snapback][/right]

Shall we hide under our desks together? Who brough the flashlight and the animal crackers...
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
[wcip]Angel,Jan 20 2006, Wrote:From the guide:
By the time we reach the "special place", which ends up being Room 312
inside the Lake View Hotel, we know what sin James is guilty of. This
explains to us why he has seen the things he's seen, and why he has
been forced to watch helplessly as Maria dies over and over again. In
Silent Hill, the driving force of nature is perspective. Silent Hill is
what you bring to it
, and the demons that have plagued James' soul have
taken physical form and now are seeking vengeance.

[right][snapback]99719[/snapback][/right]

That also explains something that bugged me after finishing the game. All throughout the game Pyramid Head is a badass unkillable monstrosity, but at the end James somehow manages to kill two of them. I originally wrote this off to lousy game plot mechanics, until you think about what happens just prior to that confrontation. After the scene in 312, he no longer has any need to be tormented by Pyramid Head.
Doc,Jan 20 2006, 11:50 AM Wrote:Shall we hide under our desks together? Who brough the flashlight and the animal crackers...
[right][snapback]99742[/snapback][/right]

NO WAY! I don't know what's under my desk. I think I heard a scratching noise coming from somewhere...
You know, as upsetting as this is, this is not the first time that a game company has either unintentionally or intentionally put something that either makes a klan reference or resembles the klan in their games.

Knights of the Old Republic is incredibly offensive to a lot of people. It's one of the titles that the klan gave it self a long time ago. I mean really... What were those idiots thinking? "Hey, I have a great idea! We will name our game after the most horrific hate group in American history... Brilliant!"

What the hell is wrong with those people? Did their mothers drop them on their head? Or are they just plain stupid?

Really, somebody should have done their homework here. Both on kotor and the whole pyramid head thing.

I mean, they gave pyramid head a red pyramid cone shaped head... Red of all things. That's just... Well, I don't have words, but that is just about the worst thing they could have done. Of all the colours, they just had to use red. Really. I mean, somebody had to have noticed by now other than me. Heck, the moment I laid eyes on it, there was something horribly wrong with the image but I couldn't figure out what. What a bone headed thing to do. I mean, it's red for crying out loud. Klansman get red hoods after they kill a number of people. It's the mark of a murderer, sort of like how some of the white supremacy groups have spiderweb tattoos on their elbows.

Sorry. But this has been bothering me all day. Eating at me.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Hi,

RE 4 Rocks !!!

My kid brother [54 years young] has a PS 2. For Xmas I gave him RE 4...YES I play it too :blink:

Zombies have beed replaced by Town people & Boss Monsters...I jumped out of my chair when the 2 Chainsaw Ladies attacked me.

Quote:GAMESPOT REVIEW:

Resident Evil 4 is an amazing achievement, especially in how its inspired, state-of-the-art cinematic presentation works so well with its relentlessly exciting, white-knuckle action.

Watch our exclusive video to learn why Resident Evil 4 is quite possibly the greatest horror-themed action game ever made. Note that the game footage here is basically spoiler-free, revealing only the basics of gameplay and combat.

GameSpot

RE 4 Website

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
Doc,Jan 21 2006, 04:54 AM Wrote:I mean, they gave pyramid head a red pyramid cone shaped head... Red of all things. That's just... Well, I don't have words, but that is just about the worst thing they could have done. Of all the colours, they just had to use red. Really. I mean, somebody had to have noticed by now other than me. Heck, the moment I laid eyes on it, there was something horribly wrong with the image but I couldn't figure out what. What a bone headed thing to do. I mean, it's red for crying out loud. Klansman get red hoods after they kill a number of people. It's the mark of a murderer, sort of like how some of the white supremacy groups have spiderweb tattoos on their elbows.

I think you are being a bit too South-centered here. Up here, I can't say I've ever heard of anything but the white-hooded Klan.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
SwissMercenary,Jan 21 2006, 02:54 AM Wrote:I think you are being a bit too South-centered here. Up here, I can't say I've ever heard of anything but the white-hooded Klan.
[right][snapback]99798[/snapback][/right]

Maybe... But ask the Jews that survived the concentration camps if they are being to Eurocentric when they complain about things that promote or otherwise remind the world in a bad way about the camps.

As far as the klan goes... We have the whole rainbow. Blue, green, white, black, red.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Jan 21 2006, 03:26 PM Wrote:Maybe... But ask the Jews that survived the concentration camps if they are being to Eurocentric when they complain about things that promote or otherwise remind the world in a bad way about the camps.

What I'm trying to say is that the similarity may very well not have occured to the people working on art assets. Something that I don't think any 'educated' person could argue in their defense, if they were slapping red-white-and-black swastikas all over a product.

I can't say anything conclusively, I haven't designed that... Thing. But in a case like this, there's, in my mind, plenty of reasonable evidence that it may well be a cause of accident, rather then malicious intent.

That's what I was trying to say... But picked a poor way to express myself with.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
SwissMercenary,Jan 21 2006, 11:48 AM Wrote:What I'm trying to say is that the similarity may very well not have occured to the people working on art assets. Something that I don't think any 'educated' person could argue in their defense, if they were slapping red-white-and-black swastikas all over a product.

I can't say anything conclusively, I haven't designed that... Thing. But in a case like this, there's, in my mind, plenty of reasonable evidence that it may well be a cause of accident, rather then malicious intent.

That's what I was trying to say... But picked a poor way to express myself with.
[right][snapback]99808[/snapback][/right]

Point taken.

All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Jan 21 2006, 09:26 AM Wrote:As far as the klan goes... We have the whole rainbow. Blue, green, white, black, red.
[right][snapback]99804[/snapback][/right]
Maybe the red hoods is a copycat of the alleged dress of Spanish Inquisitors? Seems a bit counterintuitive, since quite a bit of early Klan rhetoric was explicitly anti Catholic. Maybe the matter is simpler, that there are only so many colors available, you have to pick one.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Jan 21 2006, 05:20 PM Wrote:Maybe the matter is simpler, that there are only so many colors available, you have to pick one.

Plaid. :wub: When they ask you what your favourite colour is, you can never go wrong with plaid.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
Pink just wasn't as intimidating. [Image: gay.gif]

Also, I think the red corroded colour on Pyramid head's head is stained blood of his victims.

Wikipedia had this to say:

The Pyramid Heads resemble the executioners from an earlier point of the town's history. This explains why they are spattered with blood and why their faces are concealed.

According to the Silent Hill developers, they designed the helmet so that it would appear to be painful to wear it.

The Pyramid Heads are created out of James' subconscious need for someone to punish him, and is in fact representative of James, himself. The rapings of other monsters (who are all female in form) by Pyramid Head are symbolic of James' sexual frustration with his wife, Mary, after the debilitating illness claimed her and made life with her difficult.

It is theorized that the Pyramid Heads are controlled by another presence. Supporting evidence includes the Mark of Samael from the first game drawn on the floor during the final fight with the Pyramid Heads, and the siren (also from the first game) that sounds during the stairway scene.