Would this be an offensive Secret Santa gift?
ShadowHM,Dec 11 2005, 07:02 AM Wrote:Toilet paper is not going to work as a Secret Santa gift.  :)
[right][snapback]96726[/snapback][/right]

I thought so. I bought a girlie bath set with soaps and lotions and stuff instead.
DeeBye,Dec 11 2005, 10:37 PM Wrote:I thought so.  I bought a girlie bath set with soaps and lotions and stuff instead.
[right][snapback]96767[/snapback][/right]

Ah, so you are telling her that you think she's dirty and scaly? :lol:

You can't win, but a bottle of is wine more neutral.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Dec 12 2005, 01:19 AM Wrote:You can't win, but a bottle of is wine more neutral.
[right][snapback]96770[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, I'm drinking that one right now.
Women are hard to shop for.

No offense.

You buy them cosmetics: "You think I am ugly. Don't you." (So totally not a question)

You by them something benign, like a package of hair scrunchies: "I knew it. You think my hair is horrible looking. Don't you. You think I should just pull it all back and not even bother styling it."

You buy them perfume: "You think I stink. Don't you."

You buy them a gift card: "You heartless bastard. You didn't even take the time to really think about what I really wanted. You took the easy way out and just tried to buy me off. You don't care about me at all." **Bursts in to tears**

You buy them expensive jewelrey: "You are only buying this to encourage me sexually."

You buy them cheap jewelry: No words. But the icy glare is terrible.

The most sucessful gift I have ever given a woman, other than my wife, was a long time ago to a secretary. I gave her a riding crop, a horse whip, wrapped nicely in some paper with a bow, something I had bought from a tack shop. With it, I included a little card mentioning that this was the perfect gift, as she could now flog me for all those times I had been heartless, or wrong, or somehow made a mistake, or simply for being a man, starting with thinking it was a good idea to buy her a riding crop for Christmas. I got my self quite a kiss, (under the mistletoe mind you) and she told me that was the most thoughtful gift that any man had ever given her.

All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Dec 12 2005, 01:54 AM Wrote:The most sucessful gift I have ever given a woman, other than my wife, was a long time ago to a secretary. I gave her a riding crop, a horse whip, wrapped nicely in some paper with a bow, something I had bought from a tack shop. With it, I included a little card mentioning that this was the perfect gift, as she could now flog me for all those times I had been heartless, or wrong, or somehow made a mistake, or simply for being a man, starting with thinking it was a good idea to buy her a riding crop for Christmas. I got my self quite a kiss, (under the mistletoe mind you) and she told me that was the most thoughtful gift that any man had ever given her.
[right][snapback]96772[/snapback][/right]

She might have just been really into BDSM. You missed your chance to be horse-whipped naked like the bad little boy that you are.
Quote:She might have just been really into BDSM. You missed your chance to be horse-whipped naked like the bad little boy that you are.

Oo

I would have definitely gone with the toilet paper if you had included Doc's note. Of course, if she has no sense of humor it would be a flop. But hey, girlie shower crap is practically a guaranteed hit.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
Never had that problem. I HAVE had the problem of going overboard, but the only times it was a problem was when I was more interested in the girl than she was in me. :P Otherwise, I never fail to make them swoon. Must be my charms. ;)

Must also be the Scorpio in me. I just can't do things half-assed, including gifts. ESPECIALLY gifts. Case in point: Secret Santa at one of my old jobs. I got my boss as my receiever. $10 limit, IIRC. I bought her a $25 glass rose from a store-stand in the mall we worked in. She loved it, even though she "scolded" me for spending so much on her (and the other women in the store were either impressed or envious... or both). Her b/f didn't approve. It became a running gag to taunt him endlessly whenever we could, and the glass rose became a favorite of ours. :D

Some men just have no security in their relationship. ;)

Oh, and I've NEVER had a girl receive expensive jewelry poorly. Nonchalantly, maybe, but never badly. But it sure has won me plenty of brownie points over the years. Especially with the friends (which are where you REALLY need to impress).
Roland *The Gunslinger*
ShadowHM,Dec 11 2005, 04:02 AM Wrote:Go to Lee Valley Tools and choose something from this list..  Perhaps something like the Flashing Safety Lamp would work.  I would rather have the the Tarp Clips, myself, but I am not in college anymore.  ;)

Toilet paper is not going to work as a Secret Santa gift.  :)
[right][snapback]96726[/snapback][/right]

Shadow,

A while back (more than a year, I think), you mentioned a website that had inexpensive but fun toys that quickly became family favorites. Is that the Lee Valley site, or is it somewhere else?

I'd look for the old thread, but I don't even know what year I should start looking in. :o
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Griselda,Dec 12 2005, 10:46 PM Wrote:Shadow,

A while back (more than a year, I think), you mentioned a website that had inexpensive but fun toys that quickly became family favorites.  Is that the Lee Valley site, or is it somewhere else?

[right][snapback]96862[/snapback][/right]

It might have been the Magnetic Building Set, which still gets lots of use. :)

I have been a fan of that store for some time, so it probably was them.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

DeeBye,Dec 11 2005, 08:00 PM Wrote:Where I work, we draw names for a Secret Santa gift exchange.  The limit is $10.  [right][snapback]96725[/snapback][/right]

What is the point of spending your own money on someone you don't know? Keep the $10 I say... but then, you guys have crazy traditions like tipping too :P
whyBish,Dec 12 2005, 11:06 PM Wrote:What is the point of spending your own money on someone you don't know?  Keep the $10 I say... but then, you guys have crazy traditions like tipping too  :P
[right][snapback]96866[/snapback][/right]

Yeah. Generosity is SUCH a crazy tradition.
Roland *The Gunslinger*