First trailer for X-Men 3 is here
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/x3/large.html

IMDB link for X3

The same actors are returning, as well as some additions. Kelsey Grammar of "Cheers" and "Fraiser" fame plays Hank McCoy/Beast. Some guy I've never heard of is playing Juggernaut (yay Juggernaut!). Collosus is back, and Dr. Moira MacTaggart makes her first appearance. The trailer also shows Angel, which is pretty cool.

Magneto and Mystique are still around.

I really liked the first X-Men movie. X2 wasn't quite as good, but still enjoyable enough for a comic book fan. I don't have supreme confidence that X3 will will be a great movie, but the teaser trailer looks decent enough.
Movies aren't working for me for some reason. I tried one of the HD ones and it said "bad atom in file" or something like that. Oh well. The photo gallery was ok, but the official website has a bit too much animation to actually be something worth going to more than once.

Still no Gambit. :(
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Wyrm,Dec 6 2005, 12:45 AM Wrote:Still no Gambit. :(
[right][snapback]96320[/snapback][/right]

You won't see gambit in any of the xmen movies except for perhaps a secondary character. All of his story elements are pretty much based off of the "Days of Future Past" run, as are Bishop's. To properly create a story involving either of those characters that was true to the comics would take multiple movies and would probably end up horrible.
KELSEY GRAMMAR!

KELSEY GRAMMAR!

WHOO! KELSEY GRAMMAR!
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
DeeBye,Dec 5 2005, 11:49 PM Wrote:I really liked the first X-Men movie.  X2 wasn't quite as good, but still enjoyable enough for a comic book fan.

Really? I felt the opposite way, I thought X2 was better than the first X-Men movie. As a big fan of the animated TV show in the early nineties, I felt like the second movie had more X-Men like feel.

Then again, I never got into the comic book series (comic books in general never interested me too much) and perhaps the first movie was in fact 'truer' to the X-Men universe.

Though I understand the problems with plot lines in bringing in Gambit, I'm going to miss not having him in a movie. Same with the X-Men battling the huge Sentinals.

Cheers,

Munk
Wyrm,Dec 6 2005, 12:45 AM Wrote:Movies aren't working for me for some reason.  I tried one of the HD ones and it said "bad atom in file" or something like that.  Oh well.  The photo gallery was ok, but the official website has a bit too much animation to actually be something worth going to more than once.

Still no Gambit. :(
[right][snapback]96320[/snapback][/right]

Me either. Tried updating Quicktime to no avail.
Tal,Dec 6 2005, 09:21 AM Wrote:Me either. Tried updating Quicktime to no avail.

This may be an unrelated problem, but Firefox 1.5 has been giving me occaisional grief with quicktime and flash. The quicktime video didn't want to play nice with firefox for some reason.

It loaded well in *gulp* IE.

Cheers,

Munk
Munkay,Dec 6 2005, 09:40 AM Wrote:This may be an unrelated problem, but Firefox 1.5 has been giving me occaisional grief with quicktime and flash.  The quicktime video didn't want to play nice with firefox for some reason.

It loaded well in *gulp* IE.

Cheers,

Munk
[right][snapback]96341[/snapback][/right]

Tried IE, Opera and Nutscrape...uh....Netscape - no joy in Talville. :(

Sonuvaedit: Also opened up Quicktime itself and tried the open url function without luck.
X-Men2 > X-Men1
I liked X-Men1 but I felt X-Men2 worked better as a movie.

Beast was never one of my favorites though it would be cool to see a bit more of Collosous.
Tal,Dec 6 2005, 09:48 AM Wrote:Tried IE, Opera and Nutscrape...uh....Netscape - no joy in Talville. :(

Sonuvaedit: Also opened up Quicktime itself and tried the open url function without luck.
[right][snapback]96343[/snapback][/right]

I guess the stars are aligned in such a way to to keep Tal from seeing the trailer! It's still a relatively early on trailer, so you aren't missing much by not seeing it.

Nonetheless, hopefully the quicktime problem solves itself soon.

Cheers,

Munk
Ghostiger,Dec 6 2005, 09:49 AM Wrote:Beast was never one of my favorites though it would be cool to see a bit more of Collosous.

I have to agree with you there Ghost, but probably for a different reason. I'm probably much younger than you (I grew up watching the animated series on tv).

Let's just quickly compare Beast vs. Collosus:

Beast likes to read books. He likes to hang upside-down. While in jail he declares pacifism as the best solution. He does not want to break out of Jail, since it is breaking the law.

Collosus is Russian. He has an accent. He can get shot by a big russian tank and it won't dent him. He likes clobbering time, as long as its for the good guys or for the mother land.

Now picture a child, that spent their early childhood watching GI Joe, starting to watch X-Men. I think we know who he'd pick.

Here's a hint if you're stumped, the one I liked wasn't blue :P

Cheers,

Munk
Munkay,Dec 6 2005, 10:14 AM Wrote:I have to agree with you there Ghost, but probably for a different reason.  I'm probably much younger than you (I grew up watching the animated series on tv).

Let's just quickly compare Beast vs. Collosus:

Beast likes to read books.  He likes to hang upside-down.  While in jail he declares pacifism as the best solution.  He does not want to break out of Jail, since it is breaking the law.

Collosus is Russian.  He has an accent.  He can get shot by a big russian tank and it won't dent him.  He likes clobbering time, as long as its for the good guys or for the mother land.

Now picture a child, that spent their early childhood watching GI Joe, starting to watch X-Men.  I think we know who he'd pick.

Here's a hint if you're stumped, the one I liked wasn't blue  :P

Cheers,

Munk
[right][snapback]96346[/snapback][/right]

I dunno. I appreciate Beast for his views on pacifism. You don't see to many hero types that are capable of clobbering people three ways to Sunday but don't particularly like doing it, and his ethical, moral, and philosophical interjections are always rather pleasant.

X3 is going to suck because of Whatsisname, that guy that likes to destroy perfectly good franchises.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Dec 6 2005, 09:31 AM Wrote:You don't see to many hero types that are capable of clobbering people three ways to Sunday but don't particularly like doing it.
[right][snapback]96348[/snapback][/right]

Kwai Chang Cain. ;)
The Hulk (Dr Banner) ;)
Ents ;)

I'll stop there. The reluctant arse kicker is a common theme in heroic (and therefore comic) literature. Real arse kickers, like Conan, are cut from a different cloth.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Dec 6 2005, 11:47 AM Wrote:Kwai Chang Cain.  ;)
The Hulk (Dr Banner)  ;)
Ents  ;)

I'll stop there.  The reluctant arse kicker is a common theme in heroic (and therefore comic)  literature.  Real arse kickers, like Conan, are cut from a different cloth.

Occhi
[right][snapback]96349[/snapback][/right]

Ents are not exactly comic book material.

Cain was on TV.

The Hulk is Schizoid, a particularly interesting case of duality.

While I agree with you on the level that it is a common theme, in various pulp comics and fictions, it's all about the ass kickers with the ethic / moral / philosophical types playing second fiddle.

The Beast, and a few others like him, were unsual in their presence in comic books. A lot of people (mistakenly) believed that all comic book readers were mindless twits that could never appreciate the sort of thinking involved with appreciating characters like the Beast. In the golden age of comics, one only needs to see just how badly Batman got dumbed down to see what the pulp pushers thought of their readers. For a time, he became nothing more than an idiot playboy that fought crime for fun. All of his dark mystique and inner demons were lost.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Ghostiger,Dec 6 2005, 10:49 AM Wrote:Beast was never one of my favorites though it would be cool to see a bit more of Collosous.
[right][snapback]96344[/snapback][/right]
Colossus and Havok were my two favorite X-men of all time. Colossus was insane when you started seeing everything he could really do (He didn't have to breathe in metal form and could survive a vacuum). I respected and admired Colossus even more when he sacrificed himself to cure the one killer disease (I didn't read much about it so I'm not sure of the specifics).
Stormrage
Raelynn - Gnome Warlock - Herbalism/Alchemy
Markuun - Tauren Shaman - Skinning/Leatherworking
Aredead - Undead Mage - Tailoring/Enchanting

Dethecus
Gutzmek - Orc Shaman - Skinning/Leatherworking
Few other names that piqued my interest on the IMDB site:
Omega Red, Multiple Man, Warren Worthington III (Angel), and Kitty Pryde (though she technically made an appearance in the second movie).
Stormrage
Raelynn - Gnome Warlock - Herbalism/Alchemy
Markuun - Tauren Shaman - Skinning/Leatherworking
Aredead - Undead Mage - Tailoring/Enchanting

Dethecus
Gutzmek - Orc Shaman - Skinning/Leatherworking
Munkay,Dec 6 2005, 10:14 AM Wrote:Here's a hint if you're stumped, the one I liked wasn't blue  :P
[right][snapback]96346[/snapback][/right]

Don't underestimate children. They can appreciate and understand complex ideas when presented in a manner familiar to them. I absolutely loved Beast when he quoted Richard Lovelace, "Stone walls do not a prison make, Nor iron bars a cage"... I was a kid, watching Beast in jail... and not bothered, not feeling confined. He was no rabid animal caged in a cell, but cultured reading and quoting. When his guards mocked him for reading Orwell's Animal Farm, I was angry, and could almost express it was the guards who were locked in their own ignorance.

Hank McCoy / Beast was definitely one of my favorites. Kelsey Grammar as Beast though? He certainly has the right type of voice, but it is hard to seperate "Frasier" cringe-embarassment comedy from the guy.
Raelynn,Dec 6 2005, 06:10 PM Wrote:Colossus was insane when you started seeing everything he could really do (He didn't have to breathe in metal form and could survive a vacuum).  I respected and admired Colossus even more when he sacrificed himself to cure the one killer disease (I didn't read much about it so I'm not sure of the specifics).
[right][snapback]96382[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, Colossus was badass. My most memorable bit with him in the comics was back in the late 80's or so. It was one of the story arcs that covered all of the mutant-themed comics. There was a gang of bad mercenary mutants called the "Marauders" that were hunting down and killing the "Morlocks" (refuge mutants that lived in sewers). It was merciless killing, often of the elderly and very young.

Anyways, one of the Marauders could spin at superhuman speed. He would enter a room full of Morlocks and spin around while chucking razors and other sharp peices of metal. They would fly around in all directions and completely decimate anyone in the vicinity.

Colossus met with this guy and shielded innocent Morlocks with his body. The spinny guy got pissed and spun even faster and focused his destruction on Colossus. He was shooting all manner of sharp pointy things at Colossus at supersonic speed while Colossus crept ever closer. Most of them bounced off his metal skin, but a small percentage actually penetrated. With the sheer number of junk this guy was throwing, it soon added up to a lot of sharpnel embedded in Colossus.

Colossus got more and more pissed about all of the death the twisty guy caused. He got close, grabbed this guy's neck, and snapped it like a twig. It was the only time I recall seeing Colossus kill anyone out of anger.

Unfortunately Colossus suffered some pretty severe injuries. Magneto was a "good guy" at the time and tried to magnetically fix him up. He stopped him from dying, but at the cost of fusing his metal body into a solid state. Poor Colossus couldn't even shift back to flesh :(

I stopped reading comics shortly after this, and never really knew the outcome.
Chesspiece_face,Dec 5 2005, 11:41 PM Wrote:You won't see gambit in any of the xmen movies except for perhaps a secondary character.  All of his story elements are pretty much based off of the "Days of Future Past" run, as are Bishop's.  To properly create a story involving either of those characters that was true to the comics would take multiple movies and would probably end up horrible.
[right][snapback]96322[/snapback][/right]

I'm unfamiliar with the Xmen comics, but from what I saw of the cartoon, wasn't there some dynamic between Rogue and Gambit that would be great for film? Didn't they have a relationship?

I don't really like American comics or cartoons. I'm more of a Manga and Anime type person myself; greatly in-depth, and overall much better stories. The only American comics I’d say I really enjoyed were the early Punisher and second-generation Ghost Rider comics, although I was very impressed with that special edition Punisher set in Vietnam. The two Punisher movies are a ****ing joke :angry: ! They try to make the Punisher out to be a good guy, but he is truly the darkest anti-hero every concieved.

Enough ramble. As for Xmen 3, I enjoyed the first two films so I'm sure I'll enjoy this next installment - on DVD.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
MEAT,Dec 6 2005, 11:55 PM Wrote:I'm unfamiliar with the Xmen comics, but from what I saw of the cartoon, wasn't there some dynamic between Rogue and Gambit that would be great for film? Didn't they have a relationship?
[right][snapback]96414[/snapback][/right]

Gambit would pretty much screw anything with legs.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."