Sony being evil
Raelynn,Nov 10 2005, 05:03 PM Wrote:It's kind of funny that apparently someone has started using the DRM rootkit to hide the ripping programs from the anti piracy programs.  They're using Sony's anti-piracy tool to help them bypass itself!  :lol:
[right][snapback]94536[/snapback][/right]

This whole scenario reminds me of MAD Magazine's old Spy vs Spy comics.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Concillian,Nov 11 2005, 11:11 AM Wrote:and that programs like WoW and Battlefield 2 should never need Administrator priveleges.[right][snapback]94534[/snapback][/right]
THey need admin privileges? :blink:
whyBish,Nov 10 2005, 08:10 PM Wrote:THey need admin privileges?  :blink:
[right][snapback]94547[/snapback][/right]

I haven't tried with WoW, but I assume it does for the anti-cheat software that runs in the background, given how intrusive it is. If it doesn't it probably should for what it's doing.

Battlefield 2 does because Punkbuster runs, and Punkbuster needs admin privileges for anti-cheat reasons... from the Punkbuster FAQ:

Quote:Why does PunkBuster now require players to run the game as an administrator under WinXP/2K?

Because some cheats/hacks cannot be detected otherwise.

Obviously if you don't play online, it's not a requirement, but to many people, especially those playing FPS genre games, that's a very sub-optimal solution.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Ghostiger,Nov 4 2005, 08:47 AM Wrote:http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/34
[right][snapback]94089[/snapback][/right]

This is a little OT but I feel it fit's in nicely with the subject at hand. FYI guys there are some nasty viruses out there that can be EXTREEMLY hard to remove.

MY-STORY:

The computer I had custom-built 5-years ago was not plugged into a reliable power-supply (never believe what a power supply guarantee says!) and fried when we had a severe power surge in my area - in fact, it was so strong that our refrigerator jumped when it happened! After the surge, I went to turn on my computer and it simply would not work. I took it to some professionals and they found out that my video card, chassis fan, and my computers internal power-supply fan fried. I decided it was time to UPGRADE my components so I got a new motherboard, RAM, video cards, and a SATA hard drive. After MONTHS of trouble with special BIOS and driver configuration settings on my new, custom-built computer, I finally got my computer up and running nicely, however I had not installed any Anti-Virus or Firewall yet and for some reason felt I really didn't need them (yeah right, if you own an IBM compatible PC!)

I was surfing the net all day after everything was said and done and the next time I booted up the machine, I noticed I had lost Admin privileges. Then I noticed the red-light on the computer flashing madly and saw all of my files changing... corrupting to an unreadable form. I also noticed the computer accessing some remote address. I guess I must have gotten a virus just by going to some web-site because I did not download anything.

After a complete format of my hard drive, I reinstalled all my programs and customized settings (took SEVERAL hours each time) and noticed the same thing that had happened before with my files and admin privileges happening again. After several formats, I decided that the virus had somehow written to the ROM of my BIOS and was accessing some remote site to upload the virus everytime I booted so I popped the battery on my motherboard to clear the ROM and guess what? The virus never returned!

Just goes to show you how powerful some viruses can be :( .
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
MEAT,Nov 11 2005, 10:57 PM Wrote:This is a little OT but I feel it fit's in nicely with the subject at hand. FYI guys there are some nasty viruses out there that can be EXTREEMLY hard to remove.

MY-STORY:

The computer I had custom-built 5-years ago was not plugged into a reliable power-supply (never believe what a power supply guarantee says!) and fried when we had a severe power surge in my area - in fact, it was so strong that our refrigerator jumped when it happened! After the surge, I went to turn on my computer and it simply would not work. I took it to some professionals and they found out that my video card, chassis fan, and my computers internal power-supply fan fried. I decided it was time to UPGRADE my components so I got a new motherboard, RAM, video cards, and a SATA hard drive. After MONTHS of trouble with special BIOS and driver configuration settings on my new, custom-built computer, I finally got my computer up and running nicely, however I had not installed any Anti-Virus or Firewall yet and for some reason felt I really didn't need them (yeah right, if you own an IBM compatible PC!)

I was surfing the net all day after everything was said and done and the next time I booted up the machine, I noticed I had lost Admin privileges. Then I noticed the red-light on the computer flashing madly and saw all of my files changing... corrupting to an unreadable form. I also noticed the computer accessing some remote address. I guess I must have gotten a virus just by going to some web-site because I did not download anything.

After a complete format of my hard drive, I reinstalled all my programs and customized settings (took SEVERAL hours each time) and noticed the same thing that had happened before with my files and admin privileges happening again. After several formats, I decided that the virus had somehow written to the ROM of my BIOS and was accessing some remote site to upload the virus everytime I booted so I popped the battery on my motherboard to clear the ROM and guess what? The virus never returned!

Just goes to show you how powerful some viruses can be :( .
[right][snapback]94617[/snapback][/right]

Sounds like a Monkey /C Monkey Doo virus. Those are Nas-Tee. Yes, they can get in to your BIOS. Some of them from what I have heard can even worm their way in to the firmware of CDROM, DVD, and even video cards, causing a considerable infection that keeps returning every time you boot your machine even after you wipe the BIOS. One variant I read about was able to work it's way in to the software controller of the floppy disk drive. Not only did it keep returning, but it prevented the machine from being booted from the floppy. Which was really bad because at the time, it was impossible to boot from a new technology making the rounds called a CDROM drive. Every now and then, a new version of this old classic emerges from the wild. I am utterly amazed that some people can be clever enough to write something like this.

**Shudder**
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Ghostiger,Nov 4 2005, 08:47 AM Wrote:[right][snapback]94089[/snapback][/right]

And more in the news on Sony:
http://today.reuters.com/investing/finance...-33_L18167933:1

I feel the link speaks for itself, however I must stress the irony here: in an attempt to create the perfect copy-protection, Sony is now "giving-away" .mp3 titles for download on it's site to compensate all those consumers hurt by their anti-piracy program. Also the civil suit that Sony will undoubtedly loose after sinking millions into legal fees. Does irony get any more ironic than this?
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
The funniest part is that they have now found Sonys copy protection used code stolen from an open source project.
Ghostiger,Nov 19 2005, 07:57 PM Wrote:The funniest part is that they have now found Sonys copy protection used code stolen from an open source project.
[right][snapback]95351[/snapback][/right]

Not one. Three. Two under LGPL, and one under GPL. Big bad news.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Nov 20 2005, 10:45 PM Wrote:Not one. Three. Two under LGPL, and one under GPL. Big bad news.
[right][snapback]95392[/snapback][/right]

OK, this rogue is confused.

How can one steal code from an open source project? It's open source?

I am obviously missing a subtlety, a critical detail, and would like to be better informed.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
If you put open sorce code in your application then your application is supposed to be listed as open source also. Sony didnt do this.

Theres actually a few different types of "open source" and I dont know all the details. But basically its what I said.
Also, under some open source agreements, you are forbidden to make a profit if you use sections of code.

You would be utterly amazed at how many businesses get in trouble for that one.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Occhidiangela,Nov 21 2005, 12:30 PM Wrote:OK, this rogue is confused.

How can one steal code from an open source project?  It's open source?

I am obviously missing a subtlety, a critical detail, and would like to be better informed.

Occhi
[right][snapback]95433[/snapback][/right]
It's like an author retaining the copyright to his novel, but publishing copies of it for free distrubution. He's giving it away, but he still has rights to it. Then some schmuck tries to take one of his copies and market it for profit without acknowledging the source; thus making an implicit proprietary claim of that is false.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Rhydderch Hael,Nov 21 2005, 03:40 PM Wrote:It's like an author retaining the copyright to his novel, but publishing copies of it for free distrubution. He's giving it away, but he still has rights to it. Then some schmuck tries to take one of his copies and market it for profit without acknowledging the source; thus making an implicit proprietary claim of that is false.
[right][snapback]95446[/snapback][/right]

What is the difference between open source and "industry best practices" when it comes to a code module?

If what was developed on an open source project is freely available, using that module shouldn't render an entire project that uses best practices a freeware. That's applying too much credence to a taint.

What are the legal protocols for "paying back the open source" community when a particular module is a "best practice."

Or, is everyone required to do their own homework, open source utility be damned?

I am still confused, but less so.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
http://www.fsf.orgcensingcenses/

Open source is working communism. For the people, by the people, from the people. And some sections of open source under the agreement and the licence demand that with certain applications and code use, no profit is to be made. See, if you show a profit, you might try to wrangle it, tie it down, and try to prevent other people from using it for free. To show ownership. Ownership leads to messy disputes and all manner of legal wrangling. Which is something that a lot of people want to avoid. The public license avoids that and keeps everything free so people can actually get work done with out having to worry about what they owe to whom for doing whatever.

A good example of this is when Apple, a long time ago, was making an OS called "Copland." They used sections of code from Openstep. In the end, they had to aquire ownership of Next and Steve Jobs, but they wound up scrapping the Copland OS project in favour of a new development based on BSD that was codenamed Darwin. OSX is open sourced, and some parts of it remain free to the public, and Apple can not under any circumstaces, make a profit off of some parts. So they have the Darwin source available for download, for free, at no cost, free as in beer, from their servers. And Darwin is a fully functional working OS. Exceptionally powerful just as it is, and it can easily be modded for a GUI or customised to do all sorts of things. I seem to recall that it is rather popular for people that use clusters for advanced computing.

This is why Apple is gaining ground. Microsoft can not compete with "free." Apple is doing what the Linux crowd could not. Bring *NIX and open source to the masses in a highly polished easy to use package. Apple is not making much of anything off of the software half of the company. They make profit on the hardware. Good hardware.

Open source is the future. I don't care who does it, just so long as there is progress. And Microsoft can go suck eggs.

All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Occhidiangela,Nov 21 2005, 03:30 PM Wrote:OK, this rogue is confused.

How can one steal code from an open source project?  It's open source?

Occhi
[right][snapback]95433[/snapback][/right]

Basically (there are about a thousand licenses to keep track of, but I'll briefly explain the two I mentioned):
GPL = Open Source software. Code is freely available (free as in beer; you can charge for it), but if you use it, not only must you include all copyright notices from the original code, but all the new code tied to it must be made Open Source as well. More restrictive license, generally not used in a commercial setting, but can be.

LGPL = Open Source software. Code freely available (same as above), provided you retain all copyright notices, etc. Useable with proprietary (i.e. non-OS) code, but you MUST retain all copyright notices, etc. with the new code showing you used OS code.

Sony failed to do EITHER of these requirements. Not only did they use GPLed code (from a dead project, but that doesn't matter), they also used LGPLed code, and neither retained copyright notices, etc. in plain view, nor made Open Source their own code.

So, technically, Sony and the partner(s) it contracted to write the whole thing could be facing a copyright infringement lawsuit, in addition to the class action and civil suits they are currently facing.

I have to admit, I'm glad Sony's getting hit as hard as they are. I hope they get nailed to the cross, as an example. This sort of BS cannot be tolerated, or computing as a whole will take a terrible downward turn, as well as consumerism as a whole. Scary thought to think that a VCR you buy 5 years from now could be a "limited use" VCR. I.e. create 30 tapes and then becomes nothing more than a big paperweight. And that's only PART of the problem. Scary.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Nov 21 2005, 05:42 PM Wrote:I have to admit, I'm glad Sony's getting hit as hard as they are. I hope they get nailed to the cross, as an example. This sort of BS cannot be tolerated, or computing as a whole will take a terrible downward turn, as well as consumerism as a whole. Scary thought to think that a VCR you buy 5 years from now could be a "limited use" VCR. I.e. create 30 tapes and then becomes nothing more than a big paperweight. And that's only PART of the problem. Scary.
[right][snapback]95457[/snapback][/right]

Roland, I have bad news for you, but most of the new VCRs are already like that. They cost about 20 or 30 bucks and are pretty much disposable.

POS.

Nobody cares about VHS now because of DVD.

All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Sony slammed in spyware suit.

Ouch.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Roland,Nov 21 2005, 04:42 PM Wrote:GPL = Open Source software. Code is freely available (free as in beer; you can charge for it), but if you use it, not only must you include all copyright notices from the original code, but all the new code tied to it must be made Open Source as well. More restrictive license, generally not used in a commercial setting, but can be.

LGPL = Open Source software. Code freely available (same as above), provided you retain all copyright notices, etc. Useable with proprietary (i.e. non-OS) code, but you MUST retain all copyright notices, etc. with the new code showing you used OS code.

Sony failed to do EITHER of these requirements. Not only did they use GPLed code (from a dead project, but that doesn't matter), they also used LGPLed code, and neither retained copyright notices, etc. in plain view, nor made Open Source their own code.

So, technically, Sony and the partner(s) it contracted to write the whole thing could be facing a copyright infringement lawsuit, in addition to the class action and civil suits they are currently facing.
[right][snapback]95457[/snapback][/right]

Thanks to you and Ghostiger for the brief summary and the link, respectively. I am now less ignorant. ;)

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Doc,Nov 21 2005, 05:51 PM Wrote:Roland, I have bad news for you, but most of the new VCRs are already like that. They cost about 20 or 30 bucks and are pretty much disposable.

POS.

Nobody cares about VHS now because of DVD.
[right][snapback]95458[/snapback][/right]

I know that, but it serves the purpose of my point. We, as consumers, should not be coerced into buying a product with a definite, limited, measurable lifespan (food excluded), especially not something that was designed to be used throughout a lifetime (or longer). It's one thing for musical CDs, for example, to wear out due to frequent use, abuse, etc. It's entirely another thing to buy musical CDs, only to be unable to play them because the music labels want to prevent pirating.

Sony is getting hit hard with lawsuits, and it's just the tip of the iceberg. I truly cannot wait to see the outcome of all this. I hope, for our sake as consumers, that the lawsuits against Sony, et al are 100% successful. I don't have a personal vendetta against Sony, per se, but it would be GRAND to send a clear message to everyone who seeks to control OUR property, and limit OUR consumerism: "We're not gonna take it!"

(Thank you Twisted Sister. :))
Roland *The Gunslinger*