The Lurker Lounge Trivia Thread!
Occhidiangela,Oct 13 2005, 09:09 AM Wrote:What is the meaning behind the handle MMAgCh, one of our early Admins/Mods.
Hint: The letters mean something significant to the Lounge and its purpose.
[right][snapback]91924[/snapback][/right]

I always assumed that MMAgCh was some sort of geeky chemical formula. I just checked out a periodic table and boy do I feel stupid.
Ashock,Oct 13 2005, 12:23 PM Wrote:Ok now: Which famous (or infamous) Diablo 1 player (and DSF regular) beat Diablo in D2  (in the very early days) on Normal without distributing any attribute or skill points with a pure Pally, declared that the game was too easy and never played D2 again (at least as far as we know)?
[right][snapback]91951[/snapback][/right]

I once made a Paladin that did this exact same thing, minus the "never play D2 again" part.

I still play D2 all the time, so the answer isn't me.
Occhidiangela,Oct 13 2005, 02:09 PM Wrote:Sorry, Leshy, no points toward a free pizza for that answer.  :lol:
:(

It seems my memory has left me alone and abandoned already! Oh, woe is me, to lose it as such a young age! Whatever will become of this poor miserable sod, doomed to wander for eternity in forgetfulness!

Well, okay, maybe not :P

As for the MMAgCh question, I thought the first two letters were his actual initials, although the Mad Mac thing sounds pretty good too. Shame I'm clueless as to who was the person to quit D2 - although I do vaguely recall exploits of someone playing the game without using talent points; no recollection of someone quitting over it though.
-Leshy, Pizza Lover Extraordinaire
http://www.leshy.net
I don't think it was Mad Mac....

I'll give a hint about the "infamous" player. He went through 2.5 major handles in his years in the Diablo community, and many lesser ones.

If that does not work, I'll give an even bigger hint, but this should work considering that there are several here who saw all 3 or at least 2 of the earlier ones (that's a hint in itself).

-A
Ashock,Oct 14 2005, 03:56 PM Wrote:I don't think it was Mad Mac....
I'll give a hint about the "infamous" player. He went through 2.5 major handles in his years in the Diablo community, and many lesser ones.

If that does not work, I'll give an even bigger hint, but this should work considering that there are several here who saw all 3 or at least 2 of the earlier ones (that's a hint in itself).
-A
[right][snapback]92150[/snapback][/right]

Hah! The name returns to me! Spiderdrake!
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Mirajj,Oct 14 2005, 03:45 PM Wrote:Hah! The name returns to me! Spiderdrake!
[right][snapback]92170[/snapback][/right]

Well, I guess he would fit the bill for the "several handles" but not for the D2 thing. Think earlier, much earlier and also DSF (now I'm really giving this away).

-A
Ashock,Oct 14 2005, 05:52 PM Wrote:Well, I guess he would fit the bill for the "several handles" but not for the D2 thing. Think earlier, much earlier and also DSF (now I'm really giving this away).
-A
[right][snapback]92184[/snapback][/right]

Metatron, Finnan Haddie, Bizzard Must die . . . I think those are all the same guy.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Oct 14 2005, 06:37 PM Wrote:Metatron, Finnan Haddie, Bizzard Must die . . . I think those are all the same guy.

Occhi
[right][snapback]92189[/snapback][/right]

Well, I was thinking Sorceror, Finnan Haddie and Honey B. (that's the .5), so the other 2 would fall into the "other" category, but yep you're right, it's him.

-A
Ashock,Oct 14 2005, 03:52 PM Wrote:Well, I guess he would fit the bill for the "several handles" but not for the D2 thing. Think earlier, much earlier and also DSF (now I'm really giving this away).
-A
[right][snapback]92184[/snapback][/right]
Is it Claudio?
Occhidiangela,Oct 14 2005, 08:37 PM Wrote:Metatron, Finnan Haddie, Bizzard Must die . . . I think those are all the same guy.
[right][snapback]92189[/snapback][/right]

Since Occhi didn't follow up the answer with a new question, I propose a spinoff question:

What indirect role did this man of many names have in the creation of what is now the LL?
Nystul,Oct 16 2005, 11:22 PM Wrote:Since Occhi didn't follow up the answer with a new question, I propose a spinoff question:

What indirect role did this man of many names have in the creation of what is now the LL?
[right][snapback]92354[/snapback][/right]

He abhorred cheating, and considered Diablo mods a form of cheating. He made that very well-known in the old DSF, to the point that longish flamewars would errupt over Bolty's lists of essential Diablo-related links.

Bolty created his Strategy Central to curtail this.

Question: Who are the confirmed Blizzard employees that have posted here?
DeeBye,Oct 17 2005, 04:38 PM Wrote:He abhorred cheating, and considered Diablo mods a form of cheating.  He made that very well-known in the old DSF, to the point that longish flamewars would errupt over Bolty's lists of essential Diablo-related links.

Bolty created his Strategy Central to curtail this.

Question:  Who are the confirmed Blizzard employees that have posted here?
[right][snapback]92356[/snapback][/right]
Peter Hu,
GFrazier,
The guy that Sirian Flamed :P
... Bolty? :shuriken:
and more that I can't remember :/
IIRC, it wasn't that he didn't like mods, but that the character of Finnan Haddie didn't like mods. Some of the D2 characters took a different position on the topic, especially when Sirian was around stirring the pot.

BTW, does anyone know of an incarnation later than "Aceto"? If he appeared after that, I'm totally clueless. :unsure:
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Oooh ! The Sirian flame thread :lol: I totally remember that !

Who said these famous words :

Quote:"Neither of you brought me any treasure ! Bad Monsters !"

( :lol: )
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
Griselda,Oct 17 2005, 05:07 AM Wrote:IIRC, it wasn't that he didn't like mods, but that the character of Finnan Haddie didn't like mods.  Some of the D2 characters took a different position on the topic, especially when Sirian was around stirring the pot.

Yes, he had one or several evil twins on the Blizzard forums.

BTW, his main addy was "Sourceror", as in source code. He was a programmer, and as far as I remember, that was his background for his opposing any mods. I guess he generally disapproved of fiddling with other people's (programmers') code in any way.

The other misspelling came from "Simon the Sorceror", if memory serves me right.

Quote:BTW, does anyone know of an incarnation later than "Aceto"?  If he appeared after that, I'm totally clueless.

Too bad, no :( When was the last time anybody heard of him?

By the way: pretty soon (bit more than a year), it will be "10 Years of Diablo" for some of us and not very much later 10 Years of Diablo forum activity!

c+

Leshy,Oct 14 2005, 08:49 PM Wrote:As for the MMAgCh question, I thought the first two letters were his actual initials
Indeed, though I must admit I like the "Mad Mac" variant :P And for what it's worth, I've never been an admin, merely a mod during the late N54 days of yore.
And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
____________.Not shaking the grass.
-- Ezra Pound, "And the days are not full enough"
whyBish,Oct 16 2005, 10:42 PM Wrote:Peter Hu,
GFrazier,
The guy that Sirian Flamed  :P
... Bolty?  :shuriken:
and more that I can't remember :/
[right][snapback]92357[/snapback][/right]

Max Schaeffer, now of Flagship Studios, formerly of Blizzard North.

Personal note:

The Blizz/Sirian flame wars on the Lounge over the PK exploits, Hostility, and the fundamental concept of D2 PvP vis a vis where it fit into the game, represent to me both an apogee and a perigee of the Lounge. They occurred at a time when the Lounge was The premier D2 discussion venue, yet it was a wave's crest that plunged into a trough filled by the old skeltal remains of the D2 suggestion forum's pre-release battles. The core philosophical and design issues were unearthed by LoD and its unfinished state to walk the land again as a mindless zombies, seeking "brains, brains."

By the time the Blessed Flame Hammers had stopped whirling around, we lost Sirian and some others as contributing members. I count that as a loss.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Oct 17 2005, 04:02 PM Wrote:By the time the Blessed Flame Hammers had stopped whirling around, we lost Sirian .........  I count that as a loss.   
Occhi
[right][snapback]92445[/snapback][/right]

I don't.

-A
Ashock,Oct 17 2005, 11:03 PM Wrote:I don't.
-A
[right][snapback]92459[/snapback][/right]

Tastes differ. :)

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Oct 18 2005, 04:41 AM Wrote:Tastes differ.  :)

Occhi
[right][snapback]92479[/snapback][/right]

Indeed :whistling:

-A