SM Drops Nerfed
nobbie,Oct 12 2005, 09:39 PM Wrote:A small hint, though: Find a (rather uncrowded) place in Azeroth where you have 4 to 5 Rich Thorium Vein "spawning points" within a rather small area.
[right][snapback]91880[/snapback][/right]

Places like those don't exist <_<
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Artega,Oct 13 2005, 04:49 AM Wrote:Places like those don't exist <_<
[right][snapback]91903[/snapback][/right]
I know at least one, so they do exist ;)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
I think I know the place , usually others there too so its very rare I get to mine that place , but yeah avery small area with lots of spawn points :)
Take care
Lissa,Oct 12 2005, 07:39 PM Wrote:No, I know you know statistics Mongo.  Remember, it's 3% per hit, but, even indepenent events still have an effect chance.  While each chance has a 3% probability of happening, you have to take that into account failure to get another crystal in the next 1 to 3 hits the vein may have.  So, while getting 1 crystal is going to be 3% per node, getting 2 is going to be much, much less probable.  So, cutting time by a third, no.

You contradict yourself. You first say it's 3% per hit and then somehow conclude that it's 3% per node, even though you get about three hits per node. That doesn't add up. The bottom line is that you need about 33 hits to get one crystal. That equates to hitting about 11 nodes on average that you need to hit, not 33.

Quote: Can you honestly say that farming rune cloth and selling enchanting materials get you close to that?

What part of "With my priestess who is tailoring/enchanting and therefore can't make the big bucks that mining and herbalism can bring, I choose to farm in locations that give me both cash and faction" didn't you understand? Anyway, random blues and cards can return quite a bit of cash along the way and I get faction at the same time. A dedicated rogue can farm 50g/hour worth of material this way quite easily, which is why most chinese farmers are rogues. Priests, especially holy/disc ones, can't farm that quickly, however.
MongoJerry,Oct 13 2005, 11:42 AM Wrote:The bottom line is that you need about 33 hits to get one crystal.&nbsp; That equates to hitting about 11 nodes on average that you need to hit, not 33.
MongoJerry is right (and I can for sure confirm that ;)). You don't need 33 nodes but 33 Thorium Ores on average for one Arcane Crystal. That makes 11 nodes on average (~3 ores per node) or ~11 logins per day or about one day per Arcane Crystal in my case. Since I have two Horde Alchemy twinks, I can make one Arcanite Bar per day or about 30 per month, resulting in about 900 gold incl. all the gems and other goodies I find on the side. Plus, that is 900 gold for just riding along the spawning points without killing a single mob. My Thorium farming for 2-4 minutes per login is actually a welcomed break between the time when I level/grind up my Night Elf Druid ;)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Lissa,Oct 12 2005, 06:41 PM Wrote:The instance resets every 15 minutes (maybe 30) it is untouched.&nbsp; Log out and everything, but the bosses should be back (which means you might have a nasty surprise if the imps respawn in that tunnel).
[right][snapback]91889[/snapback][/right]

Last I checked, the instance was designed to prevent this by either having a one-way zone in that tunnel, or a fall before the zone.

When the instance resets, you're not left where you logged out, you're returned to a zoneline.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
nobbie,Oct 13 2005, 12:52 AM Wrote:I know at least one, so they do exist ;)
[right][snapback]91909[/snapback][/right]

Liar.

Quote:Find a (rather uncrowded) place in Azeroth where you have 4 to 5 Rich Thorium Vein "spawning points" within a rather small area.

There is no place that fits the specific requirements of: uncrowded, 4-5 vein spawn points, in a small area, that you can get to without fighting.

Feel free to correct me.
Rinnhart,Oct 13 2005, 01:27 PM Wrote:Liar.
There is no place that fits the specific requirements of: uncrowded, 4-5 vein spawn points, in a small area, that you can get to without fighting.

Feel free to correct me.
[right][snapback]91928[/snapback][/right]
It's good to see that only few people know that place ;)

EDIT: Btw, it's not only 4-5 spawn points but 4-5 exclusively RICH Thorium Vein spawn points. Good luck finding them ;)
nobbie,Oct 13 2005, 05:49 AM Wrote:It's good to see that only few people know that place ;)

EDIT: Btw, it's not only 4-5 spawn points but 4-5 exclusively RICH Thorium Vein spawn points. Good luck finding them ;)
[right][snapback]91931[/snapback][/right]

Because you know how many direct competitors you have that browse the Lounge. :blink:
Rinnhart,Oct 13 2005, 02:10 PM Wrote:Because you know how many direct competitors you have that browse the Lounge.&nbsp; :blink:
[right][snapback]91933[/snapback][/right]
No, because I know how many direct competitors I have that LURK the Lounge, and because I don't want that Blizzard might change that location in this regard ;)

The place I mean is really not that hard to find; all that's required is that you don't hassle through the game or from instance to instance. Almost exclusive solo players, who are used to area walking, probably know already which place I mean ;) Just use your fantasy a bit - how many places/areas are there in Azeroth which are level 50+ (the area level for RTV's), and how many of those areas can be safely farmed?
nobbie,Oct 13 2005, 06:20 AM Wrote:No, because I know how many direct competitors I have that LURK the Lounge, and because I don't want that Blizzard might change that location in this regard ;)

The place I mean is really not that hard to find; all that's required is that you don't hassle through the game or from instance to instance. Almost exclusive solo players, who are used to area walking, probably know already which place I mean ;) Just use your fantasy a bit - how many places/areas are there in Azeroth which are level 50+ (the area level for RTV's), and how many of those areas can be safely farmed?
[right][snapback]91934[/snapback][/right]

Yes, but this could all be so quickly cleared up if you'd just say (PM me :wub: ) which place you mean. I mean, at the very least, are you using Azeroth in reference to the world, the continent, or the sub-continent?

Now, you have me recalling a particular corner of the world, but no warrior would be able to farm it.
Dozer,Oct 12 2005, 08:17 PM Wrote:In the Lushwater Oasis, farming these to get these. :P
[right][snapback]91878[/snapback][/right]
Yes, but. The market will only sustain so many fish per day. I can fish up 20-40 in an hour, and sell them in bunches of 5 for ~2g. Any more than that and I find that some don't sell. I go in and others are selling them for < 20s ea. So, I buy them out and now I have 50 fish to sell. So an epic mount is roughly 2300 deviate fish and 60 days of fishing.

Edit: To the RTV hunters -- 50 Savory Delight x 40s = 20g = 1 Arcane Crystal. Not the login 11 times for 5 mintues, but spend 60 minutes in one spot with no risk of competition. But even days when you have less time, 30 minutes for 20-25 still nets 10g. The price of SDD also fluctuates depending on how many are listed, so you might get 50s ea some days. The secret to making money consistently in this game is to do what others can't or won't do. There is just too much competition for RTV's for it to have much appeal to me. Frustrating too, since I tend to see them around when I'm on a toon that cannot mine.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

nobbie,Oct 13 2005, 02:20 PM Wrote:No, because I know how many direct competitors I have that LURK the Lounge, and because I don't want that Blizzard might change that location in this regard ;)
[right][snapback]91934[/snapback][/right]

It still strikes me as a distinctly non-Lurker™-y thing to do; "I know something you don't know, and I'm not going to tell you".
You don't know what you're talking about.
Perhaps the Fungal Vale and Noxious Glade areas in EPL fit the description, though they are pretty well known and tend to be farmed a fair bit. (My preferred location ever since I got a Skullflame Shield there.)

Other places with RTVs are Un'Goro, though there are less there (Volcano part and around the edges). I'm sure there are some in Silithus but that is going to be rather crowded these days.
I used to farm the SM graveyard with my rogue for grave moss which I sold at 1G apiece. I stopped when the price of grave moss dropped on my server, which happily coincided with me getting bored with the procedure. No killing was involved, btw, just picking herbs.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Noobie plays on a medium pop PVE server. YMMV if you are not on a similar one. Also, Maybe nobody likes farming crystals in that spot on his server. Aside from population and style, servers are different. Some servers have AV up all the time. Some don't. Some have Nef down. Some don't.

Noobie's tease is a little annoying though.
lfd,Oct 13 2005, 04:24 PM Wrote:It still strikes me as a distinctly non-Lurker™-y thing to do; "I know something you don't know, and I'm not going to tell you".
[right][snapback]91952[/snapback][/right]
I'm willing to share any tipps, tricks etc as far as character development, raids etc goes, but I hesitate when it comes to detailed locations of the best game resources, not at last because of lurkers who seek to gain real-world profits (read: money) from these resources through Internet auctions. I hope you understand that ;)
Wogan,Oct 13 2005, 09:51 AM Wrote:Other places with RTVs are Un'Goro, though there are less there (Volcano part and around the edges). I'm sure there are some in Silithus but that is going to be rather crowded these days.

The obvious spot is the demons area of Winterspring. There are lots of Rich Thorium Veins there and you can dodge the mobs there pretty well. A rogue would obviously have an even easier time getting around. There's not a lot of competition there, though, because it's way out of the way and the demons there hit really hard. Your main competition would be with small parties trying to help priests get their Eyes of Shadow.
MongoJerry,Oct 13 2005, 06:29 PM Wrote:The obvious spot is the demons area of Winterspring.&nbsp; There are lots of Rich Thorium Veins there ...
Close, very close ... ;)
nobbie,Oct 13 2005, 11:38 AM Wrote:Close, very close ... ;)
[right][snapback]91967[/snapback][/right]

And there's the big trench with all the elite giants in it right before the entrance to the demons area in Winterspring.