SM Drops Nerfed
Dunno where you guys go to try and raise cash, but if I can't get into a nice 5-man group and chew through an instance, I have been going into the graveyard area of SM and killing that stuff for money.

1.8 has stealth-nerfed this. :(

The mobs that used to drop 3-4 silver, now drop 60-70 copper. *sigh* I've got another epic mount I have to buy. So I have to ask: where else is good for grinding cash? I'm using my mage for grinding so I have aoe available. Suggestions? If you were a gold farmer, where would YOU live?
savaughn,Oct 12 2005, 01:33 PM Wrote:Dunno where you guys go to try and raise cash, but if I can't get into a nice 5-man group and chew through an instance, I have been going into the graveyard area of SM and killing that stuff for money.

1.8 has stealth-nerfed this.  :( 

The mobs that used to drop 3-4 silver, now drop 60-70 copper.  *sigh*  I've got another epic mount I have to buy.  So I have to ask:  where else is good for grinding cash?  I'm using my mage for grinding so I have aoe available.  Suggestions?  If you were a gold farmer, where would YOU live?
[right][snapback]91810[/snapback][/right]
SM graveyard was perfect. *sigh* HATE to IGN!

:: :blink: :: I don't think I would ever attempt to raise 900 gold 3-4 silver at a time.

My richest character is a level 35ish mage that has raised about 650 gold so far. He's a Herbalist/Disenchanter so he picks flowers and turns magic equipment into enchanting mats. Now I must also qualify that his permanent Inn is Ratchet for easy access to Deviate fish, and is also the focal point for the AH for all my toons-- so anything that gets found or constructed by my toons gets mailed to the mage for AH, and DE if it does not sell.

650 gold might not seem like alot to many players, but for me it is, since I've kept most anything that I've found that has any value. If I were to sell my stacks of essences, pearls, and precious stones who knows.

My mage also buys things cheap when the market is glutted, waits a while, then sells them at a correct price. Ask me how many Powerful Mojo's I've bought for a few silvers and banked. The fervor of Zul Gurub with raiding guilds will subside, and the new Instance-du-jour frenzy in Silithus will commence. I made about 20g just on the increased value of Heavy Leather after it was added as a component for Thorium Brotherhood faction. So that's the way I raise money -- with all kinds of different strategies. I would gather some herbs, leather, minerals, make some high end potions, craft some rare BOE cloth or leather items, play commodities at the AH. I've got so much mass mob killing to do for factions if I had to focus on farming mobs, that's where I would start and hope for a good BOE blue or epic to drop.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

savaughn,Oct 12 2005, 11:33 AM Wrote:If you were a gold farmer, where would YOU live?

The farmers I see are in Tyr's Hand (which was also mentioned in the patch, so this may not be a good place anymore) farming stuff and selling stacks and stacks of runecloth (like I'd see WTS Runecloth x 1000 in Orgrimmar from people who frequent Tyr's Hand)

The other place I see them is running around in known spawns for rich thorium and selling arc. crystals on the AH.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
savaughn,Oct 12 2005, 11:33 AM Wrote:Dunno where you guys go to try and raise cash, but if I can't get into a nice 5-man group and chew through an instance, I have been going into the graveyard area of SM and killing that stuff for money.

1.8 has stealth-nerfed this.  :( 

The mobs that used to drop 3-4 silver, now drop 60-70 copper.  *sigh*  I've got another epic mount I have to buy.  So I have to ask:  where else is good for grinding cash?  I'm using my mage for grinding so I have aoe available.  Suggestions?  If you were a gold farmer, where would YOU live?

If you're a hunter, the best places to farm for cash is the dragonkin. Go to BS or WS and kill Dragonkin to your hearts content (don't even bother with the Wetlands Dragonkin or Emerald Dream guards, Reds and Greens hit way too hard and pet either dies or is at very low life with you being out of mana after EVERY fight unlike the Blacks and Blues).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
savaughn,Oct 12 2005, 06:33 PM Wrote:I've got another epic mount I have to buy.  So I have to ask:  where else is good for grinding cash?  I'm using my mage for grinding so I have aoe available.  Suggestions?  If you were a gold farmer, where would YOU live?
Grinding for gold/silver is definitely NOT the recommended way to get the 900 gold for an epic mount. My level 60 Undead Warrior has financed TWO epic mounts (his own and that of my soon-be-level-60 Night Elf Druid, and the third epic mount for my Tauren Druid is already 50% paid) just through farming Rich Thorium Veins, which have a 3% (or 1 out of 33 Thorium Ores) chance to drop the much sought after Arcane Crystals. Prices for Arcane Crystals are still very stable (~25 gold on Horde and ~20 gold on Alliance side) that I call them the "Stone of Jordan of WOW" now :) The Thorium Bars sell very well, too, as do stacks of 20 Dense Sharpening Stones. Rich Thorium Veins also have a good chance to drop Azerothian Diamonds, Blue Sapphires and Star Rubys which all sell well.

MINING is the profession that makes you rich, very rich! :D
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
nobbie,Oct 12 2005, 12:58 PM Wrote:Grinding for gold/silver is definitely NOT the recommended way to get the 900 gold for an epic mount. My level 60 Undead Warrior has financed TWO epic mounts (his own and that of my soon-be-level-60 Night Elf Druid, and the third epic mount for my Tauren Druid is already 50% paid) just through farming Rich Thorium Veins, which have a 3% (or 1 out of 33 Thorium Ores) chance to drop the much sought after Arcane Crystals. Prices for Arcane Crystals are still very stable (~25 gold on Horde and ~20 gold on Alliance side) that I call them the "Stone of Jordan of WOW" now :) The Thorium Bars sell very well, too, as do stacks of 20 Dense Sharpening Stones. Rich Thorium Veins also have a good chance to drop Azerothian Diamonds, Blue Sapphires and Star Rubys which all sell well.

MINING is the profession that makes you rich, very rich! :D
[right][snapback]91825[/snapback][/right]

Except farming the right mobs will earn you farm more money. As I said, Dragonkin will make you good money, espcially the Cobalt Mageweavers that drop things like Recipe: Greater Arcane Protection Potion, Recipe: Greater Stoneshield Potion, Schematic: Arcanite Dragonling, Formula: Enchant Bracer - Superior Stamina, assoreted blues, greens, and greys, and the thing that Hunters really want, Mature Blue Dragon Sinew. Also, while hunting for my Mature Blue Dragon Sinew, I earned about 300g in the course of a week (and I had gotten 2 of the Arcane Protection and Arcanite Dragonling that I saved for my characters and other guild members where I probably could have pulled down another 500g+ from the AH and I did pull down about 300g from selling an Orb of Deception and Lord Alexander's Battle Axe). And as a skinner, there's even more money to be had as well.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Lissa,Oct 12 2005, 03:28 PM Wrote:Except farming the right mobs will earn you farm more money. 
[right][snapback]91830[/snapback][/right]

Providing you get drops. ;) *Watches his 6000th furby fall over, and give him...Deep Fried Plantains...again*

The problem with grinding mobs is that unless they drop money too, you aren't likely to get ahead of the curve here. The only reason I have made any money is from the small amount of change (1-10s) the furbies drop per kill. >.<
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Lissa,Oct 12 2005, 03:28 PM Wrote:Except farming the right mobs will earn you farm more money.
[right][snapback]91830[/snapback][/right]

If you want to farm mobs for cash your best bet is to pick mobs that drop coin. Monster body parts can sell for decent amounts of money but they fill up your bags very quickly which can be a pain. I personally also like to farm mobs that can drop runecloth as it is usually fairly consistent. Picking mobs that have a nice "rare" loot table like Lissa mentioned is nice but it relies on drop luck which can be really nice or really poor depending on how the RNG feels.

Thanks to the new patch Silithus is crawling right now with Twilights that drop cash and runecloth. In addition they will give you some faction and they can drop decent level greens. The fact that they are high level mobs also means that their world drop loot table is going to be nice. If it weren't for the fact that Silithus is a mile out of the way I might recommend heading there and butchering Twilights for fun and profit...
Stormrage:
Flyndar (60) - Dwarf Priest - Tailoring (300), Enchanting (300)
Minimagi (60) - Gnome Mage - Herbalism (300), Engineering (301)
Galreth (60) - Human Warrior - Blacksmithing (300), Alchemy (300); Critical Mass by name, Lurker in spirit
ArynWindborn (19) - Human Paladin - Mining/Engineering (121)
Lissa,Oct 12 2005, 08:28 PM Wrote:Except farming the right mobs will earn you farm more money.
Maybe, but would you believe me that my Undead Warrior has farmed over 100 Arcane Crystals so far without killing a single mob, and that I login to my Warrior just every 45 minutes - while I'm leveling my Night Elf Druid to 60 - for just 2-4 minutes of Thorium farming? ;)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
mjdoom,Oct 12 2005, 02:06 PM Wrote:If you want to farm mobs for cash your best bet is to pick mobs that drop coin.&nbsp; Monster body parts can sell for decent amounts of money but they fill up your bags very quickly which can be a pain.&nbsp; I personally also like to farm mobs that can drop runecloth as it is usually fairly consistent.&nbsp; Picking mobs that have a nice "rare" loot table like Lissa mentioned is nice but it relies on drop luck which can be really nice or really poor depending on how the RNG feels.

Thanks to the new patch Silithus is crawling right now with Twilights that drop cash and runecloth.&nbsp; In addition they will give you some faction and they can drop decent level greens.&nbsp; The fact that they are high level mobs also means that their world drop loot table is going to be nice.&nbsp; If it weren't for the fact that Silithus is a mile out of the way I might recommend heading there and butchering Twilights for fun and profit...
[right][snapback]91836[/snapback][/right]

That's why I picked Dragonkin...they drop between 10 to 25s per kill and, for a Hunter, they're extremely easy kills. That initial 300g I mentioned was 250g from money and about 50g from grey item drops...and this is after expenses like more arrows, mailing off skinning things, buying pet food, and buying drinks.

The other drops were a nice added bonus for about 20 to 25 hours total work across several days. Using Nobbie's figure of 100 crystals at a 3% drop rate with 2 to 4 minutes means 3300 nodes mined on average or 6600 to 13200 total minutes or 110 to 220 total hours. Dunno about you, but I'd rather keep all those Arcane Crystals for personal uses and guild uses and spend about an eighth to a quarter the amount of time and still come out with just about the same amount of gold (all drops if I sold them on the AH that were worth selling there would have netted around 1500g, not bad for 20 to 25 hours work).

Lissa,Oct 12 2005, 03:26 PM Wrote:That's why I picked Dragonkin...they drop between 10 to 25s per kill and, for a Hunter, they're extremely easy kills.&nbsp; That initial 300g I mentioned was 250g from money and about 50g from grey item drops...and this is after expenses like more arrows, mailing off skinning things, buying pet food, and buying drinks.

The other drops were a nice added bonus for about 20 to 25 hours total work across several days.&nbsp; Using Nobbie's figure of 100 crystals at a 3% drop rate with 2 to 4 minutes means 3300 nodes mined on average or 6600 to 13200 total minutes or 110 to 220 total hours.&nbsp; Dunno about you, but I'd rather keep all those Arcane Crystals for personal uses and guild uses and spend about an eighth to a quarter the amount of time and still come out with just about the same amount of gold (all drops if I sold them on the AH that were worth selling there would have netted around 1500g, not bad for 20 to 25 hours work).
[right][snapback]91852[/snapback][/right]
Interesting. Lissa, you're talking about the elite blue dragons by the cave, right? How are you able to pick off the dragons without the whelps drawing aggro?

Or am I thinking of the wrong spot. I'm thinking of the spot where you go into the cave to hit that teleport for the Awbee scale quest.
savaughn,Oct 12 2005, 04:07 PM Wrote:Interesting.&nbsp; Lissa, you're talking about the elite blue dragons by the cave, right?&nbsp; How are you able to pick off the dragons without the whelps drawing aggro?

Or am I thinking of the wrong spot.&nbsp; I'm thinking of the spot where you go into the cave to hit that teleport for the Awbee scale quest.
[right][snapback]91858[/snapback][/right]

Nope, you're thinking of the right spot. You just have to be able to pull is all or wait for the mobs to seperate and then seperate them further to keep from getting all kinds of agro from the whelps. If you're a hunter, this place is a cake walk and a vertiable vault with it's door wide open.

Quote:The other drops were a nice added bonus for about 20 to 25 hours total work across several days.&nbsp; Using Nobbie's figure of 100 crystals at a 3% drop rate with 2 to 4 minutes means 3300 nodes mined on average or 6600 to 13200 total minutes or 110 to 220 total hours.&nbsp; Dunno about you, but I'd rather keep all those Arcane Crystals for personal uses and guild uses and spend about an eighth to a quarter the amount of time and still come out with just about the same amount of gold (all drops if I sold them on the AH that were worth selling there would have netted around 1500g, not bad for 20 to 25 hours work).

You can mine the same node 2-4 times, so reduce that time by a third.

With my priestess who is tailoring/enchanting and therefore can't make the big bucks that mining and herbalism can bring, I choose to farm in locations that give me both cash and faction. A special bonus is given if they also drop runecloth which can be sold for a steady income. My favorite spots are the furbolgs in northern Felwood and the high level undead scourge at the farm at the eastern most end of the western plaguelands. The furbolg village is great, because there are tons of furbolgs there that can easily be killed, and there's a boss who gives 5x faction who respawns quite quickly there. The best way to farm them is to get in a mage-priest team. The mage gathers them all up and aoe's them while the priest keeps the mage alive. The killing speed is unbelieveable.

The scourge in the easternmost farm of the western plaguelands drop both invader's scourgestones (as opposed to the lesser minion scourgestones from the other farms) and items that go toward fulfilling the cauldron quests. So, they're a double source of Argent Dawn faction. Plus, they drop runecloth and other decent items. In both of these places, I find a decent amount of greens and the occational blue. Most of the time, I DE the greens and blues and sell the resulting materials on the auction house, but occationally, I'll sell the items on the AH directly (particularly the boe blues) for decent cash.

The only problems with these locations is that a fair number of other people know about them, too, and on a PvP server, that means frequent fights. On quiet nights or less popular times, however, they're good places to farm.
nobbie,Oct 12 2005, 05:36 PM Wrote:Maybe, but would you believe me that my Undead Warrior has farmed over 100 Arcane Crystals so far without killing a single mob, and that I login to my Warrior just every 45 minutes - while I'm leveling my Night Elf Druid to 60 - for just 2-4 minutes of Thorium farming? ;)
[right][snapback]91842[/snapback][/right]

Yes, but WHERE do you farm? All of the likely spots (Terror Run and the volcano in Un'Goro Crater, northern Eastern Plaguelands, western Burning Steppes, and Winterspring) are all usually farmed out. There are nodes underground in Silithus, but those require at least one partner to reach (protected by 55+ elites), and Silithus is currently a PvP hotspot due to the new questlines there.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
In the Lushwater Oasis, farming these to get these. :P
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
Artega,Oct 13 2005, 12:30 AM Wrote:Yes, but WHERE do you farm?
If I would tell you, I would have to kill you ;)

A small hint, though: Find a (rather uncrowded) place in Azeroth where you have 4 to 5 Rich Thorium Vein "spawning points" within a rather small area. Park your miner there, login every 30-45 minutes, and then ride closely along these points. One of them should spawn a new vein as you get close enough.
nobbie,Oct 12 2005, 06:39 PM Wrote:If I would tell you, I would have to kill you ;)

A small hint, though: Find a (rather uncrowded) place in Azeroth where you have 4 to 5 Rich Thorium Vein "spawning points" within a rather small area. Park your miner there, login every 30-45 minutes, and then ride closely along these points. One of them should spawn a new vein as you get close enough.
[right][snapback]91880[/snapback][/right]

Or be the leader of a finished up DM East run and wait in the tunnel and let the instance respawn and get 2 to 3 RTVs every 15 minutes.

Lissa,Oct 12 2005, 07:09 PM Wrote:Or be the leader of a finished up DM East run and wait in the tunnel and let the instance respawn and get 2 to 3 RTVs every 15 minutes.
[right][snapback]91881[/snapback][/right]
Those respawn? :o
-TheDragoon
MongoJerry,Oct 12 2005, 05:02 PM Wrote:You can mine the same node 2-4 times, so reduce that time by a third.

No, I know you know statistics Mongo. Remember, it's 3% per hit, but, even indepenent events still have an effect chance. While each chance has a 3% probability of happening, you have to take that into account failure to get another crystal in the next 1 to 3 hits the vein may have. So, while getting 1 crystal is going to be 3% per node, getting 2 is going to be much, much less probable. So, cutting time by a third, no.

Quote:With my priestess who is tailoring/enchanting and therefore can't make the big bucks that mining and herbalism can bring, I choose to farm in locations that give me both cash and faction.&nbsp; A special bonus is given if they also drop runecloth which can be sold for a steady income.&nbsp; My favorite spots are the furbolgs in northern Felwood and the high level undead scourge at the farm at the eastern most end of the western plaguelands.&nbsp; The furbolg village is great, because there are tons of furbolgs there that can easily be killed, and there's a boss who gives 5x faction who respawns quite quickly there.&nbsp; The best way to farm them is to get in a mage-priest team.&nbsp; The mage gathers them all up and aoe's them while the priest keeps the mage alive.&nbsp; The killing speed is unbelieveable.

The scourge in the easternmost farm of the western plaguelands drop both invader's scourgestones (as opposed to the lesser minion scourgestones from the other farms) and items that go toward fulfilling the cauldron quests.&nbsp; So, they're a double source of Argent Dawn faction.&nbsp; Plus, they drop runecloth and other decent items.&nbsp; In both of these places, I find a decent amount of greens and the occational blue.&nbsp; Most of the time, I DE the greens and blues and sell the resulting materials on the auction house, but occationally, I'll sell the items on the AH directly (particularly the boe blues) for decent cash.

The only problems with these locations is that a fair number of other people know about them, too, and on a PvP server, that means frequent fights.&nbsp; On quiet nights or less popular times, however, they're good places to farm.
[right][snapback]91868[/snapback][/right]

The point was though, this was 20 to 25 hours with a potential net of 1500g while soloing. Can you honestly say that farming rune cloth and selling enchanting materials get you close to that?

TheDragoon,Oct 12 2005, 07:29 PM Wrote:Those respawn? &nbsp; :o
[right][snapback]91884[/snapback][/right]

The instance resets every 15 minutes (maybe 30) it is untouched. Log out and everything, but the bosses should be back (which means you might have a nasty surprise if the imps respawn in that tunnel).