Baseball playoffs
I am very disappointed. I'm a Northside fan, not a Southsider. There's always next year :-/
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Pesmerga,Oct 18 2005, 09:22 AM Wrote:Come on 'Stros!
[right][snapback]92509[/snapback][/right]

I second that motion. :D

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
pakman,Oct 18 2005, 01:37 PM Wrote:I am very disappointed. I'm a Northside fan, not a Southsider. There's always next year :-/
[right][snapback]92551[/snapback][/right]

I now sort of understand cubs/Sox rivalry, but my attitude is still that since these teams never seem to hit playoffs at the same time, I'll sort of root for both of them and if one of them makes it, I pay more attention and root in my own low level way for that team.

If the Astros win, this will be sort of a "stealth looser' world series. White Sox are there with red Sox (until last year) and cubs as team with a century of no world series, but were somehow less known, and Astros have never made it apparently.

I guessed after 2003 that it would be 2 or 3 years (It would have to be awhile) before the cubs made another big shot, that doesn't look like it will happen, but who knows? (note: this was simply a gut/superstition guess, sometimes they work, sometimes not)
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
You know, Chicago teams haven't done anything in a long time. Ever since the Bulls died, the Cubs haven't made another run for the series, the Blackhawks haven't been to the playoffs in about 8 years, and the Bears haven't done anything since 2001 when they had the 13 win season.

It really is nice to have one of the teams actually make it to "The Big Game." I can't imagine what it will be like at home if they actually win. I remember what it was like when the Bulls won the NBA Championships 6 times...Repeat Threepeat. It felt so good to be part of the city.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
My jaw dropped when I saw that on the highlights. What drama! Probably not what Astros fans wanted to see, but hot damn was it ever cool to watch. Made my skin tingle. That wasn't just some home run, it was absolutely crushed, and casually at that. It was the stuff that legends are made of - Pujols is amazing.

(Not that I prefer one team over the other - no real preference, but even Astros fans had to appreciate that.)

Pesmerga,Oct 18 2005, 07:22 AM Wrote:The game last night crushed me.  As a long time Astros fan, being one strike away from a World Series, and then losing 5-4 is a crushing blow.  I do however like Oswalt in game 6.

Come on 'Stros!
[right][snapback]92509[/snapback][/right]
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Quote:You know, Chicago teams haven't done anything in a long time.

I consider having one of the most dominating dynasties in the history of team sports 'having done something' that most other cities only get to dream about. It's called karma, pal!
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Astros just made it to series. It's the series with a half stealth looser and a complete stealth looser.

Hope the White Sox win.

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Minionman,Oct 19 2005, 09:30 PM Wrote:Astros just made it to series.  It's the series with a half stealth looser and a complete stealth looser.

Hope the White Sox win.
[right][snapback]92714[/snapback][/right]

I say Astros are about due to make the joke come true. I wonder if Diablo will appreciate a fur coat.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Oct 19 2005, 11:42 PM Wrote:I say Astros are about due to make the joke come true.  I wonder if Diablo will appreciate a fur coat.

Occhi
[right][snapback]92715[/snapback][/right]

Astros!!!! ::happy dance::

Astros in 6. :D
I hate you all. :D

(So says the Southern Californian who cheers for St. Louis).

Granted, the Angels falling is a bit of a loss in a regional respect, but I have no true heart for the team in Orange County that pretends to be from Los Angeles.

Couldn't help but notice the officiating in both leagues' Championships was glaringly sub-par.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
White Sox Win!

Awsome! :w00t: :w00t:

Minionman,Oct 27 2005, 12:06 AM Wrote:White Sox Win!
Awsome! :w00t:  :w00t:
[right][snapback]93290[/snapback][/right]

Boo! But really, I enjoyed the series. Astros were in every game, and just couldn't bring the runners left on base home. This is rough for me. One of these days a team I like will win a championship. This has definitely been one of my favorite Astros teams in recent memory.
Pesmerga,Oct 26 2005, 10:09 PM Wrote:Boo!  But really, I enjoyed the series.  Astros were in every game, and just couldn't bring the runners left on base home.  This is rough for me.  One of these days a team I like will win a championship.  This has definitely been one of my favorite Astros teams in recent memory.
[right][snapback]93291[/snapback][/right]

At least baseball season is now over, and we can all look forward to three months of unhindered NFL. Oh, Houston can now enjoy the misery of three great plagues on their city:

1. Astros lose the big one, again
2. Texans fall all over themselves and can't win games
3. The usual disaster that is daily commuting to work in the poster boy city for Suburban Sprawl.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Oct 27 2005, 10:01 AM Wrote:2.  Texans fall all over themselves and can't win games
[right][snapback]93315[/snapback][/right]

Amazing, isn't it? Thier offense finally makes some progress last year (I had Davis and Johnson on my fantasy team), and this year their O line takes about 15 steps back. It all starts at the line ...
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Pesmerga,Oct 26 2005, 10:09 PM Wrote:Boo!  But really, I enjoyed the series.  Astros were in every game, and just couldn't bring the runners left on base home.  This is rough for me.  One of these days a team I like will win a championship.  This has definitely been one of my favorite Astros teams in recent memory.
[right][snapback]93291[/snapback][/right]

It is pretty surprising the Astros didn't win a couple.

I guess in a couple of years or so they ca get another shot. Unless the dubs get really good the same year. :shuriken:

Minionman,Oct 27 2005, 02:42 PM Wrote:It is pretty surprising the Astros didn't win a couple.

I guess in a couple of years or so they ca get another shot.  Unless the dubs get really good the same year. :shuriken:

You kidding me? They barely broke .500 in the regular season! Sorry to Astros fans here (sorry Occhi) but they are not a great team. The NL west was a joke this season, and although it's great the Astros made it to the World Series for the first time in franchise history, it was a fluke.

The White Sox on the other hand, felt like a fluke all season but really weren't. They are a bunch of solid players, with an incredible knack for putting in the right pitcher at the right time.

Don't get me wrong, the Astros had decent pitching going for them, but that's about it.

Cheers,

Munk
Munkay,Oct 27 2005, 04:53 PM Wrote:You kidding me? They barely broke .500 in the regular season!  Sorry to Astros fans here (sorry Occhi) but they are not a great team.  The NL west was a joke this season, and although it's great the Astros made it to the World Series for the first time in franchise history, it was a fluke.

The White Sox on the other hand, felt like a fluke all season but really weren't.  They are a bunch of solid players, with an incredible knack for putting in the right pitcher at the right time.

Don't get me wrong, the Astros had decent pitching going for them, but that's about it.

Cheers,

Munk
[right][snapback]93346[/snapback][/right]

A fluke?

Good lord, they had the best record in baseball after their 15-30 start.
They lost their division to the Cards, only to beat in the playoffs (the team with the overall best record in baseball)
They beat the NL East champs, the Braves in the first round.

You don't make it to the World Series on a fluke.
Munkay,Oct 27 2005, 02:53 PM Wrote:You kidding me? They barely broke .500 in the regular season!  Sorry to Astros fans here (sorry Occhi) but they are not a great team.  The NL west was a
[right][snapback]93346[/snapback][/right]

1. I never said Astros were a great team.

2. They earned their spot in the World Series: they won the games they had to. It didn't hurt that injuries hamstrung the Cardinals in the LCS.

3. The White Sox nearly pulled a Cubs foldex, but rallied in the closing weeks of the season, which they had to do thanks to the Indians' challenge. Good for them, and good for them that they won four close games in a row.

Occhi

PS: Joe Torre's teams won a few Series with good pitching.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Oct 27 2005, 04:27 PM Wrote:1.  I never said Astros were a great team. 

Bad phrasing on my part. I did not mean to imply you said they were great, merely apologizing for 'bad mouthing' a team you rooted for.

Occhidiangela,Oct 27 2005, 04:27 PM Wrote:2.  They earned their spot in the World Series: they won the games they had to.  It didn't hurt that injuries hamstrung the Cardinals in the LCS.

They did win the games they had to, and they played some solid post season ball where other teams crumbled. But there play over the season still plays into my opinion that they aren't the best team out there.

Occhidiangela,Oct 27 2005, 04:27 PM Wrote:3.  The White Sox nearly pulled a Cubs foldex, but rallied in the closing weeks of the season, which they had to do thanks to the Indians' challenge.  Good for them, and good for them that they won four close games in a row.

Very true, but the White Sox played some solid ball all summer long. Their drop made many people wonder (myself included) but after their strong season it didn't seem to be a reflection of a bad team, but of a good team playing poorly in August.

My point is simple, I'm not astounded the Astros didn't win a game in the World Series.

Occhidiangela,Oct 27 2005, 04:27 PM Wrote:PS: Joe Torre's teams won a few Series with good pitching.

But they also had decent batting power. Not that the Astros don't have some hitters, but I don't think the Yankees of the 90's would have gone an extra 9 inings (or 5 innings in the World Series) without a run.

Don't get me wrong, the importance of good pitching is impossible to deny. Without it, you're no where. But having a solid team on top of pitching makes a team great. And I don't look at the Astros as being great. They were a decent team that played well in the offseason, but not a team I would have put any bets on before going into the post season.

The Cardinals dominated the NL and it was their's to lose. And in my mind it was their team who lost it.

Cheers,

Munk
Munkay,Oct 27 2005, 06:23 PM Wrote:My point is simple, I'm not astounded the Astros didn't win a game in the World Series.

Don't get me wrong, the importance of good pitching is impossible to deny.  Without it, you're no where.  But having a solid team on top of pitching makes a team great.  And I don't look at the Astros as being great.  They were a decent team that played well in the offseason, but not a team I would have put any bets on before going into the post season.
[right][snapback]93363[/snapback][/right]

I don't know about the regular season, but after reading about the Astros vs. the cardinals, and seeing some of the first two white Sox games that were very close, The Astros seemed to be playing enough to win 2 or 3 games in the world series.