Attendance & Burnout
It just seems the bigger we collectively get the smaller our raid groups have become. Are we burned out? I think we need to have a collective discussion about how we are going to keep this fun, and not drive ourselves insane, or anymore insane. :D

Where is that group a stalwart adventurers who attempted Major Domo a few weeks ago? If it is too grueling to do it the way we have been, maybe we can change it.

For me, I really really really want to get us to Major Domo every week, and someday Ragnaros. I think in order to do that we are going to either have to raid MC more nights, or when we do raid take down more bosses.

I know many of us have thoughts on this. Discuss. Let's keep it civil.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

kandrathe,Sep 26 2005, 01:06 PM Wrote:I think we need to have a collective discussion about how we are going to keep this fun, and not drive ourselves insane, or anymore insane.[right][snapback]90189[/snapback][/right]

Too late. :P

Quote:I think in order to do that we are going to either have to raid MC more nights

I don't see how that's possible. We can't even get a proper raid rolling more than one night a week.

Quote:or when we do raid take down more bosses.

The only way that's doable is marathon sessions on weekend days.
Darian Redwin - just some dude now
kandrathe,Sep 26 2005, 01:06 PM Wrote:It just seems the bigger we collectively get the smaller our raid groups have become.  Are we burned out?  I think we need to have a collective discussion about how we are going to keep this fun, and not drive ourselves insane, or anymore insane. :D

Where is that group a stalwart adventurers who attempted Major Domo a few weeks ago?  If it is too grueling to do it the way we have been, maybe we can change it. 

For me, I really really really want to get us to Major Domo every week, and someday Ragnaros.  I think in order to do that we are going to either have to raid MC more nights, or when we do raid take down more bosses.

I know many of us have thoughts on this.  Discuss.  Let's keep it civil.
[right][snapback]90189[/snapback][/right]

We've had a huge drop off in interest lately. There are folks that had raided with us that aren't anymore. We're short on healing many raids and if we're not short on healing then we're short on tanking. If we have that in abundance then we are short on DPS. :blink:

I think some of it might have to do with trying to raid three nights of the week in conjunction with some of the Basin runs. Folks are getting tired and worn out.
Darian,Sep 26 2005, 11:05 AM Wrote:The only way that's doable is marathon sessions on weekend days.
[right][snapback]90197[/snapback][/right]

Actually, I disagree with this last statement. Last week we were at Garr in about 2 1/2 hours from starting with a fresh instance with killing of Luci, Mags, and Ghen. I think we could, in a single night once we've got the pulling of Geddon and Shaz down, be able to take the first 6 bosses in about 4 hours. Given also that we didn't have the numbers to do Garr last Thursday, we got to his area on trash kills in about a hour and a half. I could easily see us, if we can get the manpower back up, killing all bosses except Rag-OH-NOES in two runs of about 3 1/2 to 4 hours each (which pushes things for some people). We know how to do all the boss fights, it's more a matter of execution in a couple and manpower.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
kandrathe,Sep 26 2005, 01:06 PM Wrote:It just seems the bigger we collectively get the smaller our raid groups have become.  Are we burned out?  I think we need to have a collective discussion about how we are going to keep this fun, and not drive ourselves insane, or anymore insane. :D

Where is that group a stalwart adventurers who attempted Major Domo a few weeks ago?  If it is too grueling to do it the way we have been, maybe we can change it. 

For me, I really really really want to get us to Major Domo every week, and someday Ragnaros.  I think in order to do that we are going to either have to raid MC more nights, or when we do raid take down more bosses.

I was behind in school so I took a little time off from WoW. Now I'm caught up, so I can come to more raids and get behind in school again. :D
The error occurred on line -1.
kandrathe,Sep 26 2005, 10:06 AM Wrote:It just seems the bigger we collectively get the smaller our raid groups have become.  Are we burned out?  I think we need to have a collective discussion about how we are going to keep this fun, and not drive ourselves insane, or anymore insane. :D

Well, I think the one thing that is getting to me is the fact that we only really have a pool of 6 Warlocks to pull upon. This means that up to Garr, not having more than 1 Warlock in the raid isn't a problem, but, when we get to Garr and onward we have to have a minimum of 2 Warlocks, 3 to 4 preferable. Right now I would like to see more people bring up Warlocks so that we have a larger pool (I know Darian is, but that will take away one of the tanks and one of the pool members has 3 characters that are needed at any given time). If we could have some of the Hunters or Mages start leveling up a Warlock, it would go along way to helping the raid over all (right now I think we have about 40 toons spread between Hunters and Mages and we consistently see the raids consisting of 40% of the total toons as Hunters and Mages).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
The class balances are starting to nick at my head. I would have had a second 60 at this point - if I didn't all but give up on Mitzy after thinking I'm never gonna get to play her anyway.

Now my second focus is a druid, which we are short on. But then I look at the raid attendances, and we're also short on Rogues on all but Saturday runs. We're never, ever, short on Hunters and Mages. It would be nice if there was some more diversity away from those two. But the simple fact is, I'd never singularly ask for a person to get an alt up. I can only say it would help us.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
I guess I'm up for either more(4-5 per week) small(2hrs) directed(2 bosses) runs, or one or two long marathons as long as we make a plan, commit to it, and try to execute the plan. When people sign up they should commit to the time period allotted, and if we do not have enough(30,35?) or the right people signed up then should we really proceed?

I get a little worried as I see the people with the most experience getting burned out and without our most experienced people we do not succeed making every run more torturous and further eroding peoples enthusiasm. Our last two forays into MC are indicative of our failure, and we need to do something to staunch the bleeding.

Each of us is an investment into the whole team, and each person who burns out diminishes the teams capability. Personally, I feel we collectively have put our eggs in a few baskets and when one of our better skilled, and better equipped people bail it hurts us all. If one of us has to take a sabatical to cleanse their minds and free their souls, well I can relate, and I increasingly lose confidence that our endeavors will succeed. Will each raid night be a waste of time and an exercise in frustration trying to bring in more new people and get them better equipped, only to see them burn out or get frustrated with us and move on.

Which brings me back to the topic, how do we keep this fun?

I would like to hear from everyone who raids with us regularly what is fun, and what is not fun. Maybe then we can organize ourselves into a cadre of like minded gamers. Something must be pushing our feeder bars... Me, well I'd just like to get something better than a Green for a chest piece. :D
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

It feels good to be needed. I'll be at as many raids from now on as I can reasonably manage.
The error occurred on line -1.
Kind of makes me wonder just how difficult power-levelling someone is in WoW if you put your mind to it. What are the tricks you can do to funnel XP to someone specific? Burn through quest XP with a 60 helping them, or grind mobs that are green to helper char, but yellow or orange or even red to the being-cheesed character?
Quark,Sep 26 2005, 03:10 PM Wrote:The class balances are starting to nick at my head.  I would have had a second 60 at this point - if I didn't all but give up on Mitzy after thinking I'm never gonna get to play her anyway.

Now my second focus is a druid, which we are short on.  But then I look at the raid attendances, and we're also short on Rogues on all but Saturday runs.  We're never, ever, short on Hunters and Mages.  It would be nice if there was some more diversity away from those two.  But the simple fact is, I'd never singularly ask for a person to get an alt up.  I can only say it would help us.
[right][snapback]90205[/snapback][/right]

I started leveling a priest, because we were lacking the. Not so much anymore. I do have a Warlock and a Druid I'd like to get up there, however, my gaming schedule exists only on raid nights. ::shrugs:: It'd also be nice to have a few people that were my level to continually game with. ::shrugs again::
Tuftears,Sep 26 2005, 03:22 PM Wrote:Kind of makes me wonder just how difficult power-levelling someone is in WoW if you put your mind to it.  What are the tricks you can do to funnel XP to someone specific?  Burn through quest XP with a 60 helping them, or grind mobs that are green to helper char, but yellow or orange or even red to the being-cheesed character?
[right][snapback]90209[/snapback][/right]

I'm levelling up my priestess as fast as I can for another healer choice on nights when we're light on healing but good on tanking. I'm not certain how much having a power leveller on hand hurts exp but I wonder if I would be a very good healer if I don't have those "when things go wrong™" moments. I did notice I got great exp this weekend when folks were helping me be a l3wtz h0r3 in Scarlet Monastery. :)
Tuftears,Sep 26 2005, 02:22 PM Wrote:Kind of makes me wonder just how difficult power-levelling someone is in WoW if you put your mind to it.  What are the tricks you can do to funnel XP to someone specific?  Burn through quest XP with a 60 helping them, or grind mobs that are green to helper char, but yellow or orange or even red to the being-cheesed character?
[right][snapback]90209[/snapback][/right]
Sure, but then again why? I never understood power leveling in the context of enjoying a game.

The best way to level a lowbie fast is for them to solo quests outside of instances and have a high level kill anything already tagged. You skip alot of content though, and in the end you have a high level player who has never learned to play their class.

My lvl 49 priest felt more than inadequate in Maraudon recently, and for shame, I let the tank (Balador) die fighting Lord Vyletongue. I'm just not good at playing a team priestess yet as I've only ever healed a similiarly leveled group in Scarlet Monestary and then we had two priests in that run.

I'm deadly solo though, because that is what I've practiced. Last night I finally roped Lochnar in helping me kill the Lvl 50 Elite keepers at the alter of Zul. But, in my last solo attempt I had both of them down to under 10% life, using a combination of shadow ward, Mind Control, Silence, Shielding myself, Fear, and pouring on the shadow damage with SW:P, Mind Blast, and Mind Flay. I think if I had had a potion of Rejuvenation I could have done it.

If we were cooperating as a guild we might coordinate teams of similiarly leveled characters, and then make regular times and level 4-5 up most quickly and at the same time.

I don't think the solution to people burning out is to play more. Perhaps a week or two off and/or some non-raid activities would help?

My warlock hit 30 yesterday and I am really enjoying her now that I'm high enough to use some interesting talents, but it'll still be a bit till I hit 60.
Quark,Sep 26 2005, 02:10 PM Wrote:But the simple fact is, I'd never singularly ask for a person to get an alt up.  I can only say it would help us.
[right][snapback]90205[/snapback][/right]
I poured on the steam with Luinilian lately thinking Priests were what was holding us back, and in some ways they are. I still see many guild impromtu DM, BRS or Scholo/Strat raids fail to get off the ground for lack of healing. So, she is 50 now, and now we also seem to be short on Warlocks. I was going to work on my Warrior after the priest, but now I think it will be Elleneor, the warlock. Anyway, I'd just like to have the option that when 2 priest sign up, and 14 hunters that I could add an alt where the need is. Pretty much the game is still centered around Tank, Healer, DPS -- the ABC's of raids.

But... Whether it be Mitzy, or Kristian, or whomever, a time will come when they need some help to get any further. You can solo up to mid to late 40's, but it gets slower and slower without help. All us 60's are going to have to reach back and do some Sunken Temple, Maraudon, Zul Farrak, BRD, or even Uldaman runs to get these babies all growed up.

I like the concept of a 5-man team. I played Mio with the same 5 people up to 60. I had a few chars that I played solely with two chars Quark had. It was fun. It helped me get to know my class.

I want to try out a 5-man team. I'd be more inclined to level my rogue or warlock on SR if I knew I'd have 3-4 people to group with at all times. It would also make things go much quicker (for me at least) and would help me understand my role in a group much better.

::shrugs:: Just an idea. I'm weird ::points to sig::
Pesmerga,Sep 26 2005, 04:07 PM Wrote:I want to try out a 5-man team.  I'd be more inclined to level my rogue or warlock on SR if I knew I'd have 3-4 people to group with at all times.  It would also make things go much quicker (for me at least) and would help me understand my role in a group much better.

::shrugs::  Just an idea.  I'm weird ::points to sig::
[right][snapback]90217[/snapback][/right]

Even duoing is good. Zaira and Sharanna really made good time levelling to 60 together in Beta. Boltress and Sharanna had a blast levelling to 60 in retail.

BRD, etc SUCKED for Sharanna and some others because we couldn't get folks to help us. Hopefully with the new alliance folks will be able to help more. :)
RTM,Sep 26 2005, 03:55 PM Wrote:I don't think the solution to people burning out is to play more. Perhaps a week or two off and/or some non-raid activities would help?
[right][snapback]90215[/snapback][/right]

My thoughts as well. Perhaps we should do do some PvP or have set nights for assisting with 5mans? Yes I've seen more of Scholo with Shal than I ever want to but I'm more than willing to bite a bullet to help out folks with quests there if it means a return to well attended raids...
Lissa,Sep 26 2005, 01:49 PM Wrote:Well, I think the one thing that is getting to me is the fact that we only really have a pool of 6 Warlocks to pull upon.  This means that up to Garr, not having more than 1 Warlock in the raid isn't a problem, but, when we get to Garr and onward we have to have a minimum of 2 Warlocks, 3 to 4 preferable.  Right now I would like to see more people bring up Warlocks so that we have a larger pool (I know Darian is, but that will take away one of the tanks and one of the pool members has 3 characters that are needed at any given time).  If we could have some of the Hunters or Mages start leveling up a Warlock, it would go along way to helping the raid over all (right now I think we have about 40 toons spread between Hunters and Mages and we consistently see the raids consisting of 40% of the total toons as Hunters and Mages).
[right][snapback]90203[/snapback][/right]
"Forcing" people to level up other characters so they can bring them to the raids instead of the character they may want to actually bring to the raids is going to cause burnout quicker. People are going to have to want to play other characters rather than just suck it up and do it for the good of the raid.
Intolerant monkey.
Tal,Sep 26 2005, 04:17 PM Wrote:My thoughts as well. Perhaps we should do do some PvP or have set nights for assisting with 5mans? Yes I've seen more of Scholo with Shal than I ever want to but I'm more than willing to bite a bullet to help out folks with quests there if it means a return to well attended raids...
[right][snapback]90220[/snapback][/right]

I brought the PvP idea up the other night. I wanna take an Avarice group into AB, because I think it'd be cool, and more fun than a strict pubbie group.