Are Any of "You" Real?
That would be really creepy... Go to a forum full of people only to find it's really just full of AIs and chat bots put there to screw with your head man... :wacko:

Question everything!
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Jun 3 2005, 08:05 PM Wrote:That would be really creepy... Go to a forum full of people only to find it's really just full of AIs and  chat bots put there to screw with your head man...  :wacko:

Question everything!
[right][snapback]79640[/snapback][/right]

ON a serious note, Doc... I like a little brevity as much as anyone else, but this may be just a little too much, do you think? :huh:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
WarLocke,Jun 3 2005, 08:19 PM Wrote:ON a serious note, Doc...  I like a little brevity as much as anyone else, but this may be just a little too much, do you think?  :huh:
[right][snapback]79641[/snapback][/right]

Most likely.

I am in a very silly mood for some reason. Could be the expresso I had talking. Pay no attention to the man behind the steaming mug.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Jun 3 2005, 08:23 PM Wrote:Most likely.
[right][snapback]79642[/snapback][/right]

Okay then! As long as we have that sorted out. :lol:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
WarLocke,Jun 3 2005, 08:31 PM Wrote:Okay then!  As long as we have that sorted out.  :lol:
[right][snapback]79643[/snapback][/right]

I am glad we could conclude this in a civilised fashion. We are an inspiration for the rest of our peers.

I salute you. WarLocke(Bot)
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Quote:Are Any of "You" Real?

Talk about opening a can of worms!!!

Are you sure that you didn't mean to ask us whether or not we're extended?
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Cuz' I'm pretty sure that I am... I banged my elbow on a table yesterday, and it's killing me.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
This begs a rather profound question.

If indeed we to some degree create personas online. Are these personas real entities? They exhibit all the character traits of real people in many cases yet have their own unique personalities.

Doc,Jun 3 2005, 08:05 PM Wrote:That would be really creepy... Go to a forum full of people only to find it's really just full of AIs and  chat bots put there to screw with your head man...  :wacko:

Question everything!
[right][snapback]79640[/snapback][/right]

One thing a friend and I have discussed in the past is how one could prove that those around him - family, friends, random passersby, etc. - actually exist. Imaginary "friends" are common in many mental disorders and it is well-known that the brain is capable of producing any sensation easily without a true external stimulus.

Thus, everything around you could all just be an elaborate delusion of a paranoid schizophrenic. You could all be figments of my imagination while I am strapped to a gurney in a mental facility somewhere. Or worse yet, I might not be in a mental facility at all. I'm not sure what the implications there would be.

I probably spend more time than I should thinking about this stuff. I guess ignorance really is bliss. Also, since everyone seems to be quoting Nietzsche today, I'll throw in my personal favorite:

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."

It's a very creepy thought.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Mithrandir,Jun 4 2005, 12:28 AM Wrote:I'm not sure what the implications there would be.
[right][snapback]79654[/snapback][/right]

I'm definitely a figment of your imagination.
DeeBye,Jun 3 2005, 11:33 PM Wrote:I'm definitely a figment of your imagination.
[right][snapback]79656[/snapback][/right]

Oh noes!
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Are you familiar with existentialism?

For some reason all our talks here seem to end up at it.
I post, threrefore I am.

Actualy yea, I'm quite sure anyone who's posted on any forum may have thrown out that question. One of the joys of the internet is the wide pool of personalties you may meet, and because of the annoymous nature of the internet some people can express themselves more freely. However, the problem is that the annoymity requires others to have some faith in the identies that forumgoers put forth. What if that shy 20 year old female college is a 40 year old creppy slimy old pervert? What if the PHD is really just a 13 year old kid stealing info from Wikipedia?

But for the most part it doesn't matter too much. Most of us aren't going to meet in real life; the interaction online is an experience in and of itself. Maybe the real world identity doesn't matter as much. I've decided to myself a while ago that I will place trust unless I have a reason to do otherwise even if the onlne persona I see is questionable. I mean there are risks, but life is full of risks and I think it's worth it. Although, I'd be cautious if I were to meet someone IRL, of course.

/analyzing content of other post
{{troll=false}}
*catastrophic error= not enough sugar to continue. This computer may run slowly.
Comment: In the event of sugar failure, user may accidentialy divulge identity.

And yes, I am a toaster.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
That was basically my point of reference with the 'extended' crack. Descartes famously contended that we could be certain of the position of objects in space and time, (i.e. their 'extension') but not of their other characteristics, e.g. texture, colour, etc. Many Cartesians have not been so confident as was Descartes that we can know anything outside of the fact of our individual existence "as a thinking thing." Cogito ergo sum, I think therefore I am. I'm sure that you've heard it many times before. Essentially, Descartes' rationalist account started the debate of 17th - 19th century metaphysics by contending that the mind and body were two separate entities, with the mind (as opposed to the brain) being 'immaterial'.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
I'm a manbot.
WarLocke,Jun 3 2005, 07:19 PM Wrote:ON a serious note, Doc...  I like a little brevity as much as anyone else, but this may be just a little too much, do you think?  :huh:
[right][snapback]79641[/snapback][/right]

Levity or Brevity? If the latter, that's an interesting bit of word play! :D

Levity: Humor Brevity: Conciseness or briefness in writing
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Archon_Wing,Jun 4 2005, 12:49 AM Wrote:I post, threrefore I am.
[right][snapback]79660[/snapback][/right]

Following up on Chaerphon's idea, and your toast gambit Archon Wing, both of which dovetail nicely into my coffee postulation first thing this morning, I will propose a toast to the extension of all Lurker root file names: to whit, the mind behind the handle.

You put a thick mind behind the hoe handle, and what do you get? Crooked furrows, deeply dug. It's getting pretty deep around here, what with all the cracker barrel philosophy, so I will offer this up.

I am a post, therefore I fence. (Posto ergo Claymoro)
Or was it
I fence, therefore I post (Katano ergo postum)
Or even
I fence, therefore I riposte (Scimitus ergo Dirko)

Which inevitibly leads us to
I refence, therfore I riposte. (Repairum ergo Parri)

What would Descartes know about any of this, that drunken old fart? Internet personae are Hegelian!

Consider the perfection of Person, or in my case, the Perfection of Rogue. What you perceive on this forum is an avatar or manifestation that presents but one aspect of that which is, in totality, the universal Overcaffeinated Rogue.

To paraphrase Jack Nicholson, father of the Lakerist school of philosophy:

"You want the Rogue? You can't handle the Rogue!"

--This post has been brought to you by Fencers Coffee and the fifth dimensional aspect of Overcaffeinated Rogue. Words and music by Mila Jovavich.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Jun 4 2005, 08:26 AM Wrote:Following up on Chaerphon's idea, and your toast gambit Archon Wing, both of which dovetail nicely into my coffee postulation first thing this morning, I will propose a toast to the extension of all Lurker root file names: to whit, the mind behind the handle.

You put a thick mind behind the hoe handle, and what do you get?  Crooked furrows, deeply dug.  It's getting pretty deep around here, what with all the cracker barrel philosophy, so I will offer this up.

I am a post, therefore I fence.  (Posto ergo Claymoro)
Or was it
I fence, therefore I post (Katano ergo postum)
Or even
I fence, therefore I riposte (Scimitus ergo Dirko)

Which inevitibly leads us to
I refence, therfore I riposte. (Repairum ergo Parri) 

What would Descartes know about any of this, that drunken old fart?  Internet personae are Hegelian!

Consider the perfection of Person, or in my case, the Perfection of Rogue.  What you perceive on this forum is an avatar or manifestation that presents but one aspect of that which is, in totality, the universal Overcaffeinated Rogue.

To paraphrase Jack Nicholson, father of the Lakerist school of philosophy:

"You want the Rogue?  You can't handle the Rogue!"

--This post has been brought to you by Fencers Coffee and the fifth dimensional aspect of Overcaffeinated Rogue.  Words and music by Mila Jovavich.

Occhi
[right][snapback]79672[/snapback][/right]

Brilliant!

Er... I think. It sounds good in the mind. But, Occhi, if you are a contruct, you must be careful saying those things. Explain your own nature to deeply and your illusiory basis will be undermined, causing you to vanish in a puff of your own Logic, much like God did when confronted with the Babel Fish.

And I had better take my own advice.

Think this is why some people spontaineously combust?

Logic... IT BURNS! BURNS!!!
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Edited Doc's reply for both Brevity and Levity. As it is written in Leviticus 6, verse 9: "Moses was told rather shortly to shut up."
Doc,Jun 4 2005, 07:37 AM Wrote:1.  Brilliant!
==snippy==
2.  But, Occhi, if you are a contruct, you must be careful saying those things. Explain your own nature to deeply and your illusiory basis will be undermined, causing you to vanish in a puff of your own Logic, much like God did when confronted with the Babel Fish.
==snippy==
3.  Think this is why some people spontaineously combust?
==snippy==
4.  Logic... IT BURNS! BURNS!!!
[right][snapback]79675[/snapback][/right]
1. Thanks, I'll have a Guinness, now that you mention it! :D

2. Since only the fifth dimensional aspect is existent on this forum, I'd say I am safe from deconstruction. Reconstrucion, on the other hand, ended in 1877, but the War seems to go on.

3. I think that is from spilling lighter fluid on themselves and standing too close to the grill.

4. "Burn logic Burn, Descartes Inferno, Burn logic Burn!"
Wait, it was Dante's Inferno. What's Descartes doing in Florence? Laying down the electrical grid?

*wanders off, wiggling hips and snapping fingers, softly singing: "Burn baby burn, Dante's Inferno, Burn baby burn"*

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Jun 4 2005, 09:12 AM Wrote:Edited Doc's reply for both Brevity and Levity.  As it is written in Leviticus 6, verse 9: "Moses was told rather shortly to shut up."

1.  Thanks, I'll have a Guinness, now that you mention it!  :D

2.  Since only the fifth dimensional aspect is existent on this forum, I'd say I am safe from deconstruction.  Reconstrucion, on the other hand, ended in 1877, but the War seems to go on.

3.  I think that is from spilling lighter fluid on themselves and standing too close to the grill.

4.  "Burn logic Burn, Descartes Inferno, Burn logic Burn!" 
Wait, it was Dante's Inferno.  What's Descartes doing in Florence?  Laying down the electrical grid?

*wanders off, wiggling hips and snapping fingers, softly singing: "Burn baby burn, Dante's Inferno, Burn baby burn"*

Occhi
[right][snapback]79676[/snapback][/right]

Oooh naughty...

Look out for the Spanish Inquisition. Bah, you'll never expect them .
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Jun 4 2005, 08:42 AM Wrote:Oooh naughty...

Look out for the Spanish Inquisition. Bah, you'll never expect them .
[right][snapback]79679[/snapback][/right]

Nobody expects the.. oh bugger.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)