About the elitism of the Lurker Lounge
Tal,May 24 2005, 03:58 PM Wrote:Whoa. Not what I was expecting at all!
[right][snapback]78490[/snapback][/right]

Dats why im l33t an ur not n00blar. sPect teh unspected ar ur pWn3d.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,May 24 2005, 02:30 PM Wrote:Tongue in cheek sounds a lot like oral sex.
[right][snapback]78487[/snapback][/right]

*slams head on desk*

Here I go, try to keep it clean, and what do I get for my troubles? :wacko:

Oh well, that'll teach me.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,May 24 2005, 06:50 PM Wrote:Here I go, try to keep it clean, and what do I get for my troubles?  :wacko:
[right][snapback]78508[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, this thread is getting (has gotten?) pretty risque (pardon my lack of ALT-%^* expertise).

I'm tempted to consult my 'bullcrap' meter, but I don't want Griz putting me on probation for posting it. :huh:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
WarLocke,May 25 2005, 07:58 AM Wrote:Yeah, this thread is getting (has gotten?) pretty risque (pardon my lack of ALT-%^* expertise).

I'm tempted to consult my 'bullcrap' meter, but I don't want Griz putting me on probation for posting it.  :huh:
[right][snapback]78536[/snapback][/right]

To be fair, any number of us walk up to the fine line, so I imagine that now and again someone will tippy toe over it. So long as we don't make it a habit.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Well, people put out the most vile bait you could imagine. Leaving an opening around like that... What am I to do? I mean, sexual in your window is just a great form of humour...

I am a bad, bad man.

Besides. People expect it from me. I am old. I can get away with it. I can blame it on senility. And a nice young thing like Gris would only shake her head and feel sorry for me. :P

The rest of you are out of luck.

It's nice being 0|d and 3|33t
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,May 25 2005, 08:54 AM Wrote:Well, people put out the most vile bait you could imagine. Leaving an opening around like that... What am I to do? I mean, sexual in your window is just a great form of humour...

I am a bad, bad man.

Besides. People expect it from me. I am old. I can get away with it. I can blame it on senility. And a nice young thing like Gris would only shake her head and feel sorry for me. :P

The rest of you are out of luck.

It's nice being 0|d and 3|33t
[right][snapback]78543[/snapback][/right]

I thought sexual in your window was a voyeur thing, like Star Trek Voyeur is the Skinnemx show whose first episode featured Jan Luc peeping through the key hole at Ryker and Troy . . . wait a minute, there are no keys in Star Trek!

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Archon_Wing,May 19 2005, 01:22 AM Wrote:Ah I must be clear. Not all members of the Lounge lack elitism. It's just most of them.
[right][snapback]77857[/snapback][/right]
I just noticed today that the Wendy's I sometimes visit is store number 1337.

Fast food is l33t.
The error occurred on line -1.
Let me add a sensible post to this discussion:

If I were to describe the Lurker Lounge I would call it a "forum with a dresscode".

The dresscode is here a metaphor for a certain way or standard of behaviour that is expected.

Like a club, a forum is in a high degree defined by it's patrons. If a club or a forum wants to nurture a certain kind of "vibe" it needs to attract persons who contribute to this vibe and have mechanisms to exclude those who do not.

A person showing up in old sportswear at a suit and tie party would spoil the whole mood of the party. Just as a person showing up in the Lounge spouting vile AOL'ese is a palpable risk to the forum's identity.

That said, I don't believe the Lurker Lounge qualifies as a true elitist forum. We do expect a certain level of good language (refraining from excessive expletives and lazy abbreviations) as well as a certain measure of politeness and an honest desire for knowledgable discussion.

But on the other hand we don't discriminate against lack of prior knowledge, skill or credentials. (Though we do require people to familiarize themselves with the forum rules).
You don't have to be veteran with several 3@30's and BNM's on your credentials in order to participate in discussion in the D1 forum.
Neither does the WoW require you to belong to some elite guild or otherwise be a minor internet celebrity.

The Lurker Lounge is a forum with a dresscode, not a forum with a guestlist.
Good post Little Faith. I agree with your assesment.

But to keep the mood of the thread:

Bah! Go help Archon with that bridge he should be working on! Trolls needs a stout bridge to stand under unless they want to be run out of town. This one still needs work :P
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Little Faith,May 27 2005, 06:08 AM Wrote:The Lurker Lounge is a forum with a dresscode, not a forum with a guestlist.
[right][snapback]78706[/snapback][/right]

I heard a rumor Doc wears kilts ..... :whistling: .... I don't know if thats part of the dress code ....
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
TaMeOlta,May 27 2005, 07:29 PM Wrote:I heard a rumor Doc wears kilts .....  :whistling:  .... I don't know if thats part of the dress code ....
[right][snapback]78775[/snapback][/right]

*falls to the floor*

"It burns, it burns . . ."

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
That's no rumour.

I do wear kilts. I dinnae wear the troosers no more.

I am old, and I live in the South. And I hate the feeling of hot swampy nuts. Me wee boyos have been freed. The feeling of a cool and gentle breeze down below to keep everything fresh and aired out is most welcomed. Male anatomy was never meant to be bound up in such a fashion as it is with troosers.

I have been most honoured, adopted into a clan. I have mine own tartan. (Although I wear many) I also wear solid coloured kilts. Of many different materials. Canvas army duc is very very nice to wear on hot summer days. The Black Watch in WWII wore kilts made in this manner while serving in the desert. The breeze blows through the fabric. It's very nice. The ability to wic away moisture allows for rapid cooling around the main body core, working a bit like air conditioning. The rapid water evaporation and airflow up into and through the kilt actually drops the temperature by several degrees. The pleating and apron designs actually aid this process, making it a very comfortable garmet. In winter wear, 13 to 22 ounce wool will keep you plenty warm, and because of how air pressure works, the warm air trapped inside of the kilt, and held in the pleats and apron will actually keep the cold air out for the most part, and will actually keep you a good deal warmer than pants would. Kilts work like mittens do for the fingers. Core body temperature is what determines if you feel hot or cold.

I have kilts made in various cammo prints, including Marpat. Some of you will know what that is, others will not. Quick, go Google. I am working on getting a kilt made in black leather for formal affairs. I have all sorts of kilts. Four yard casual day kilts, six yard philabeg kilts, or the little kilt as it is called, and I have full blown eight to nine yard traditional tank kilts. Kilts come in all manner of fabrics, materials, and designs.

Most of my kilts have a particular special feature that make them stand out. On the inner apron, tucked away where nobody can see, and you would never be able to tell, but still available for quick access, is a built in holster for a gun. And in some, hidden in the pleating are quick access pockets designed to hold other weaponry.

Kilts are not for formal dressy events. They were meant to be every day garmets. Kilts are clothing, not costumes. You don't have to be Scots to wear a kilt. You don't have to be white to wear a kilt. Anybody can wear a kilt any time, for any reason they should so desire.

http://www.gunghaggisfatchoy.com/

Kilts can be a part of any culture, for any race. But if you choose to wear a tartan, know the history, the meaning, and the significance of said tartan, and show the utmost respect for said tartan. If you wear it and go out and act like a jackass, there are people out there bound to take offense and kick your ass. And these are people that throw telephone poles, kegs, the occasional human being, and 50 pound hammers for sport. Some tartans you shouldn't wear to some events. For example. Wearing a Black Watch tartan kilt into an Irish Pub is bound to get your sorry ass kicked. Want to know why? Go study your history. It's incredibly offensive. You should never ever wear a Campbell tartan to any clan MacDonald function or event, and the reverse is true as well. Once again, study your history.

Or save your self some time. Wear solid colours. Very nice and dressy.

It takes a real man to wear a kilt and stand out. Women will fall all over you, usually asking you questions about your underpants or lack thereof. Smaller, men less certain of themselves, will question you and your sexuality. People will hassle you out of ignorance.

Your reward is standing over an air conditioner vent on a hot day.

As for the underpants bit, everybody knows what should be under there. Nothing. Going regimental isn't about being perverted or letting it all hang out. Underwear can actually effect the proper hang and drape of the kilt, causing it to catch and bunch on the underwear fabric. Plus, wearing a properly made and fitted kilt, a REAL kilt and not some Catholic school girl skirt they pawn off to the ignorant, it will ride around your belly button or just slightly above, and when you walk the sides will swing and swoosh, and will press downward on your hips. If you are wearing undergarments with a properly constructed REAL kilt, the kilt will actually push your underpants down, possibly causing them to fall down around your ankles at the wrong time. There are means to prevent this, like pinning your drawers to your undershirt. But all that bunched fabric around your waist screws up the air flow and is mighty uncomfortable. In short, kilts were never designed with underpants in mind.

In countries where men wear skirted garmets, testicular cancer and prostate cancer are virtually unheard of in the skirted masses. Something to think about.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Kilted Ninjas! OMG!!!

:shuriken:

Click on and watch the original trailer. It's a scream.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Speaking of dress code, I wore my underwear in public to protest Bush's second term. On campus, on election day, the campus Republicans were dressed in red with elephant earring and such.

So I wore a corset, garters, and stockings around campus with the sign: "The only Bush I trust is my own."

Wanted to give Lurkers a different mental image than Doc in a kilt.

:whistling:

Are we elitist at the Lounge? I don't think so.

I found out the day after I graduated from Hollins that I'd been accepted at the University of South Florida for graduate studies in library and information science. And when I tell everybody that I want to move in with my boyfriend, I have to eventually tell them how we met. Since the DSF is no more, I tell everybody that we met here.

And everybody's all like, "internet boyfriend?"

And I'm like, "this ain't no internet chatroom." And it's not.

We're an intelligent bunch of gamer geeks, serving in the military, Fortune 500 companies, with local and national governments, or studying for degrees.

I think it's who we are and NOT our rules that define this community. For instance, Doc plays around a lot and has put bad thoughts and naughty images into my head and he (and Occhi) have been responsible for many computer monitor beverage accidents. (Whatever I happen to be imbibing whenever I read their jokes tends to come out my nose, you see.) But I know both can make some damned convincing arguments and can be serious about it too.

Is the the rules scripted by Elric and taught by Lurkers that create this community? Nay, 'tis the Lurkers themselves.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Count Duckula,May 28 2005, 11:48 PM Wrote:Speaking of dress code, I wore my underwear in public to protest Bush's second term. On campus, on election day, the campus Republicans were dressed in red with elephant earring and such.

So I wore a corset, garters, and stockings around campus with the sign: "The only Bush I trust is my own."

Wanted to give Lurkers a different mental image than Doc in a kilt.

:whistling:

Are we elitist at the Lounge? I don't think so.

I found out the day after I graduated from Hollins that I'd been accepted at the University of South Florida for graduate studies in library and information science. And when I tell everybody that I want to move in with my boyfriend, I have to eventually tell them how we met. Since the DSF is no more, I tell everybody that we met here.

And everybody's all like, "internet boyfriend?"

And I'm like, "this ain't no internet chatroom." And it's not.

We're an intelligent bunch of gamer geeks, serving in the military, Fortune 500 companies, with local and national governments, or studying for degrees.

I think it's who we are and NOT our rules that define this community. For instance, Doc plays around a lot and has put bad thoughts and naughty images into my head and he (and Occhi) have been responsible for many computer monitor beverage accidents. (Whatever I happen to be imbibing whenever I read their jokes tends to come out my nose, you see.) But I know both can make some damned convincing arguments and can be serious about it too.

Is the the rules scripted by Elric and taught by Lurkers that create this community? Nay, 'tis the Lurkers themselves.
[right][snapback]78841[/snapback][/right]

I deny everything... I am serious about NOTHING!!!

And ugly as I am, I am told I cut a dashing figure in a kilt. I look like a poorly aged medieval berserker that desperately tries to fit into modern times. Or so says some folk I know.

As for wearing your skivvies in public... I salute you. You are now part of a long and noble tradition of people that cast off public image and use their bodies for social expression.

I have had more than one president see me totally n00d. The most notable was Nixon. I went streaking through the convention hall, and paused long enough right in front of Nixon to reach down and yank my own willy a few times in salute. I then managed to outrun security and police for almost 4 whole city blocks. I was arrested on many charges (Some of them fabricated mind you) and tossed in jail for a whole freaking week.

The worst charge was assault... Some poor old wrinkled prude saw me naked... Back when I was young and almost good looking... Wearing nothing but my shoes and my dreadlocks. She gasped as I went by, her head bobbing up and down while I was a running, she gasped for whatever reason and fainted. She smacked her head into a newspaper despenser box and required stitches. Police insisted that I pushed her, but I was in the middle of the street while she was on the sidewalk. The only person I feel sorry for that day was the poor police ociffers that had to tackle a naked man. This is something that no male wants to do. The look of disgust on their faces was worth the week in the clink.

That line about trusting your own Bush was brilliant. I bet that got a lot of folk's panties in a wad. Believe in your self above all else... Be true to your self. And always have the courage to do the most outrageous thing you can possibly think of, because people WILL remember that, and it CAN change somebody's life. And that leads to ripple effects. One person can make a difference.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Count Duckula,May 28 2005, 10:48 PM Wrote:So I wore a corset, garters, and stockings around campus with the sign: "The only Bush I trust is my own."

[right][snapback]78841[/snapback][/right]

Well, that's what I'd call making a statement. :D Good one!

Hearken's back to the 1972 campaign, McGovern and Nixon, and the bumber stickers saying "McGovern can't lick our Dick." Also "Don't change Dicks in the middle of a screw, vote for Nixon in Seventy Two."

Well, they were funny back then.

I watched a pit bull chase an armadillo this weekend, which was also kind of funny.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,May 29 2005, 08:48 PM Wrote:I watched a pit bull chase an armadillo this weekend, which was also kind of funny.
[right][snapback]78894[/snapback][/right]

Who won? I would pay good money to see such a thing.
DeeBye,May 29 2005, 09:58 PM Wrote:Who won?  I would pay good money to see such a thing.
[right][snapback]78907[/snapback][/right]

Pit bull just played with it, then let it run off when the owner called her over. It was amusing, wish I had it on film.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete