Do You Remember Prom?
Doc,May 10 2005, 08:04 AM Wrote:Now, I am an ugly fellow... I can spook a gargoyle. I have a face that can curdle water. But damn, I looked good in formal Scottish attire. When I made my grand entrance, you could hear a pin drop. While the dreadlocks and beardlocks might have looked a bit strange with such formal attire... The overall effect was simply stunning.[right][snapback]76779[/snapback][/right]

I'm looking for the "This Thread is Useless Without Pics" smilie right now :)
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Mithrandir,May 10 2005, 12:18 PM Wrote:Dancing has never been enjoyable at all for me. I'll go along with it if my lady-friend is dead set on it to make her happy, but otherwise it's just not "my thing". [right][snapback]76798[/snapback][/right]

You sound like my hubby. Same attitude altogether. On those occasions where he *must* attend an event that includes dancing, I can get him on the dance floor possibly once. Luckily for me, that sort of event tends to be family weddings, and his brother loves to dance. :D
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Funny but true story...

I had a friend try and snap a picture of me with a digital camera. It went dead in his hands. I was just wearing a t-shirt and a philabeg (a little kilt, about 4 to 6 yards) at the time, and was wearing a rag tied on my head. I am now known as the Scotch Pirate and he wanted a picture of my jaunty pose. I pulled off the Captian Jack Sparrow look long before that pirate movie. Only I wear kilts.

"Damnit Doc, you old fugly bastard, you killed my Nikon!"

When sent in for repair, some of the insides had shorted out, probably due to my ugly mug.

Sadly, this is not the first time a camera has broke when pointed at me. Honest, I don't know what it is or how to explain it. I still think it has something to do with me being ugly... :whistling:

One of these days I must get my own camera... But I have fears that it will explode when pictures of me are taken.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Mithrandir,May 10 2005, 05:18 PM Wrote:Plus I can't *stand* 99% of the music clubs and dance/formal DJs play... that crap is just horrible.
[right][snapback]76798[/snapback][/right]

I prefer live bands to canned music. At my freshman Fall Formal, there was enough money in the budget to pay a decent bad of fiftysomething guys who called themselves the Janitors. They played a few originals, mostly covers.

My problem with DJs is that the music I like and the music I want to listen and dance to is not the music the DJ has in his/her preset playlists.

Doc Wrote:One of these days I must get my own camera... But I have fears that it will explode when pictures of me are taken.

Excuses, excuses. Every now and then Kas will squeak about why I like his ugly mug and a kiss shuts him up quite nicely. :) I agree with Mith--won't believe it 'till I see it.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
I went to a total of three dances in high school. After those three, I had no interest in going to any more.
I bought my first pocket watch, a Belair quartz-driven hex body set in savonnete fashion, two months before my Senior Prom simply to establish the fact that I began wearing such a watch before Prom and not because of it.

It was because of it.

That, and there was my crash-course improvisonation on just exactly how one ties up a bona fide bow tie. My Dad didn't know. My friends didn't know. Heck even I didn't know (wait a minute, that was the whole beginning of my problem...)

This was 1995. The internet was not quite yet in full bloom. I didn't have the answer. So, I resorted to tying the bow around my collar just as one ties up the bow of a shoe lace.

Still, those things are not the strongest memory I have of the Senior Prom. That place is reserved for the sight of Heather B—, a girl who I had a crush on literally from Day One (first day, freshman year, English Honors) at the Prom in a white lace skirtdress that was so short that it didn't exactly skirt anything.

Did I ask her for a dance? Did I do anything? Nay. I was bad enough a wallflower as things normally lay. My heart was paralyzed further then.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Rhydderch Hael,May 10 2005, 05:50 PM Wrote:Did I ask her for a dance? Did I do anything? Nay. I was bad enough a wallflower as things normally lay. My heart was paralyzed further then.
[right][snapback]76902[/snapback][/right]

An opportunity missed. Happened to me too. Luckily for me I got the girl's number at the graduation ceremony because I knew if I didn't it would be too late and I would spend years asking myself what if.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Rhydderch Hael,May 10 2005, 07:50 PM Wrote:Did I ask her for a dance? Did I do anything? Nay. I was bad enough a wallflower as things normally lay. My heart was paralyzed further then.

The ten year reunion is about to happen, go find her. Whatever occurs. :)

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,May 10 2005, 08:26 PM Wrote:The ten year reunion is about to happen, go find her.  Whatever occurs.  :)

Occhi
[right][snapback]76921[/snapback][/right]
Ehhh. No. But not for the reasons one might think was made obvious above.

I know the reunion's coming up. But high school is behind me, and while one might get pleasure in reliving their past with colleagues who happened to occupy that past, those memories are not so vital to me as the ones I made afterwards.

A reunion might be nice. But it is not important. My world is not going to fall apart without it. But that's the whole point of growing out of adolesence— living up a life in a world whose keystone does not sit in those turbulent years.

Besides, it's not like I'm going to score at my high school reunion, no matter how many 80's romantic comedies taught me otherwise. (That's a broad-brush generalization, given that I don't actually watch 80's romantic comedies).
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Quote:Load up kids on high expectations, add alcohol, and then stand back and watch it explode.  Interesting nights to say the least.

Heh, I certainly remember the same about my prom nights. Actually, after both the proms I went to, myself and a group of friends (including our dates of course) went down to the beach for a whole weekend of partying. Fun times :)

I didn't even end up going to my own senior prom, but I did attend two prom's as a date.
Rhydderch Hael,May 10 2005, 11:33 PM Wrote:Ehhh. No. But not for the reasons one might think was made obvious above.

I know the reunion's coming up. But high school is behind me, and while one might get pleasure in reliving their past with colleagues who happened to occupy that past, those memories are not so vital to me as the ones I made afterwards.

A reunion might be nice. But it is not important. My world is not going to fall apart without it. But that's the whole point of growing out of adolesence— living up a life in a world whose keystone does not sit in those turbulent years.

Besides, it's not like I'm going to score at my high school reunion, no matter how many 80's romantic comedies taught me otherwise. (That's a broad-brush generalization, given that I don't actually watch 80's romantic comedies).
[right][snapback]76931[/snapback][/right]

One of the things that amazed me, throughout my 20's, was the unusual and often surprising venues in which one "scored" or fell into scoring position. :D

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Rhydderch Hael,May 10 2005, 08:33 PM Wrote:Besides, it's not like I'm going to score at my high school reunion, no matter how many 80's romantic comedies taught me otherwise. (That's a broad-brush generalization, given that I don't actually watch 80's romantic comedies).
[right][snapback]76931[/snapback][/right]

If 80's romantic comedies don't sway you, how about the kickass 90's romantic comedy Grosse Pointe Blank?
Boutros,May 11 2005, 07:00 PM Wrote:If 80's romantic comedies don't sway you, how about the kickass 90's romantic comedy Grosse Pointe Blank?
[right][snapback]77030[/snapback][/right]

Aye. There was a gem.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Rhydderch Hael,May 10 2005, 09:50 PM Wrote:Still, those things are not the strongest memory I have of the Senior Prom. That place is reserved for the sight of Heather B—, a girl who I had a crush on literally from Day One (first day, freshman year, English Honors) at the Prom in a white lace skirtdress that was so short that it didn't exactly skirt anything.

My prom was even more awkward. I had been going out with a girl named Lisa (not her real name). We made all kinds of elaborate plans for our prom. I rented a spiffy tux and she bought a gown. We reserved a table at a fancy restaurant.

About two weeks before the prom, we broke up. I don't recall why. It was probably the usual teenaged stuff. We tried to make it as amicable as possible ("We'll always be friends!), so we promised that we would still attend our prom together and have a lot of fun, only "just as friends".

Prom night was probably one of the most awkward nights of my life. Lisa thought of that prom as a chance for us to get back together, but I had no interest in doing so. I just wanted to hang out with my high school friends and show off how good I looked in my spiffy tux. I spent the night trying to avoid Lisa's "friendly" hugs, kisses, and handholding while still being polite. It's hard going from boyfriend/girlfriend to just a plain friend. Actually it's impossible, as I was first learning in the worst possible situation.

I'm just glad that the beer store was right next door. That smoothed the rest of the night over.
Because I'm not allowed to actually tell folks what my job is... :shuriken:

Hell, I'd be obligated to lie and state that I am a professional killer.

BTW, I'm no longer a box monkey. I was promoted. I'm now a crib troll whose lair lays within gray walls locked and shut from prying eyes. And every day I get a chance to re-enact the scene in Firefox where Mitchell Gant observes the MiG-31 for the first time. ;)