Cellphone Users Take Note
Swiss Mercenary,May 6 2005, 03:44 PM Wrote:Loonies? What? You mean I shouldn't be talking to myself in public?
[right][snapback]76489[/snapback][/right]

Nah its okay for you to do it. :lol:
pakman,May 2 2005, 04:19 PM Wrote:They should put them in all classrooms and lecture halls around the country first. I hate it when some asshat gets a call IN THE MIDDLE OF AN EXAM. I can always guarantee about 10 phones will go off during an exam and at least 3-7 will go off in a class depending on the number of people taking the course.
[right][snapback]76023[/snapback][/right]

Must not be all too great - I wouldn't know, since at the university I'm attending, I've honestly heard a cellphone... Maybe once ever few weeks, and never during an exam.

Possibly a cultural thing, up in the north here? The place I'm attending is pretty average - hardly an ivory tower, but it has its standards.
I dont think I have ever been in a movie where a cellphone has gone off or in a high-class restaurant where I have ever noticed one enough to be annoyed.

Buses, on the other hand, are a completely different story. I have heard some absolutely ridiculous conversations from people sitting close to me on buses. Stuff like "I really, really should have worn a tampon today" and "I know he hits me, but deep down he loves me... I know" as a few examples that make me wonder why people feel the need to have extremely private conversations in public. It's just utterly baffling.

Probably the best one was a guy describing to someone his ingenious plan to buy up every single textbook on half.com and resell them marked up $10 in order to fund his marijuana needs.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Occhidiangela,May 2 2005, 06:49 AM Wrote:From the link:  "Those days are over. Today, there is no fooling the public."

I must disagree.  People went to see Finding Nemo, didn't they? 

Occhi
[right][snapback]76004[/snapback][/right]
Anyone need proof that the movie-going public is comprised of fools?

Of late, cinemas have been bemoaning their "slump" in box office sales these past months, their takes being down from last year's projections and the like.

Batman Begins is released. They say "slump".

War of the Worlds is released. They still say "slump".

The slump is now broken, they say. And the #1 box office draw that saved them? The Fantastic Four. A movie that Mr Cranky says is "...shallow as a silverware tray". Raking in $20 million more than the studio expected it to draw before the people woke up to the fact just how sucky it was.

Which goes to show that massive promotional tie-ins and an oversaturated advertising campaign can still beat cellphone-conveyed word-of-mouth. Or emotionally invested characters. Or a plot.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Cell phones suck.

Of course, I have one, and it is my only phone. However, if someone calls me, it is important, guarenteed. it's only set to vibrate. When I (intermittantly) go take college courses, I always sit in the back of the classroom, just in case I do get a call, and need to leave.

The last time I received a call during class, a good friend was in the ER. She died later that day. Had I not had the call, I would have been unable to see her before she died.

However, if a person is the type who is always receiving stupid ****** up calls, they really should leave their phone in their car, during movies, in restauraunts, and during any kind of school classes, as well as at work.

**Edit: Note, I also sit in back of class because I use my notebook, type 92WPM, and take notes on entire lecture. Typically this disturbs some people, usually those who sit in front of class. So it's also a courtesy thing.
SetBuilder,Jul 13 2005, 06:33 AM Wrote:Cell phones suck.
[right][snapback]83259[/snapback][/right]

I own no cellphone, and often don't answer my desk phone at work. If someone wants something done they should email me, and I'll prioritise it rather than assuming I'm sitting around just waiting for them to call. :angry:
Swiss Mercenary,May 6 2005, 05:54 PM Wrote:Must not be all too great - I wouldn't know, since at the university I'm attending, I've honestly heard a cellphone... Maybe once ever few weeks, and never during an exam.

Possibly a cultural thing, up in the north here? The place I'm attending is pretty average - hardly an ivory tower, but it has its standards.
[right][snapback]76502[/snapback][/right]
I had a teacher once who had a real effective cell phone policy. If your phone rang, you were allowed to go into the hallway and answer it...but when you came back to class, you had to explain what the conversation was about. It worked better than flat-out forbidding them, let me assure you. I never heard a phone go off in that class.

And LCC is the anti-Ivory Tower. At LCC, if you fill out an application and have been convicted of three felonies or less, you're as good as in.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!