Guild Wars grouping topic
Ashock,Apr 30 2005, 04:54 AM Wrote:Ok, granted I've only played for about 6 hours and solo and only started the post-attack part of the game tonight, but is it me or does this game remind anyone of Dungeon Siege (Thecla?).... nice eye candy and general suckege? Luckily I have Rome Total War to fall back on, but jeez what a boring game, bleh.
-A
[right][snapback]75768[/snapback][/right]
I can definitely agree with the Dungeon Siege comparison. However, both Dungeon Siege and GW can be extremely fun under the right conditions. My roommate also plays GW, and I have found it is much, much more fun to duo missions with him (two ranger/necros are surprisingly powerful and resilient) than it is to solo with or without henchmen.

The same went for Dungeon Siege, in my experience. Playing it with friends at a LAN party was a great deal more fun than the single player campaign. Granted, LAN parties increase the enjoyment factor of anything tenfold.

Try partying with some friends, or hook up with the RB/Lurker guild. I also find short bouts of PvP to be a welcome break from solo tedium. The real fun (for me) in GW comes from finally beating difficult missions with a group of friends, and from winning PvP matchups with said group.

Hope this helps. :)

By the way, does anyone know if it is possible to duel another player? I have not found a 1v1 yet, and I have been playing in every beta and preview event since it all started during E3.
The error occurred on line -1.
Zippyy,May 1 2005, 07:25 PM Wrote:I can definitely agree with the Dungeon Siege comparison.  However, both Dungeon Siege and GW can be extremely fun under the right conditions.  My roommate also plays GW, and I have found it is much, much more fun to duo missions with him (two ranger/necros are surprisingly powerful and resilient) than it is to solo with or without henchmen.

The same went for Dungeon Siege, in my experience.  Playing it with friends at a LAN party was a great deal more fun than the single player campaign.  Granted, LAN parties increase the enjoyment factor of anything tenfold.

Try partying with some friends, or hook up with the RB/Lurker guild.  I also find short bouts of PvP to be a welcome break from solo tedium.  The real fun (for me) in GW comes from finally beating difficult missions with a group of friends, and from winning PvP matchups with said group.

Hope this helps. :)

By the way, does anyone know if it is possible to duel another player?  I have not found a 1v1 yet, and I have been playing in every beta and preview event since it all started during E3.
[right][snapback]75921[/snapback][/right]

Yep, Dungeon Siege similarities agreed. Very different feel from Warcraft, I prefer the soundtrack. Still working out how I want to handle my pets, and I have dropped by a couple of GW sites.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Ok, I'm getting to like this better now. Started another character Ash Ockk, and he is a Warrior-Mesmer and I'm enjoying it more. My Warrior-Monk was pathetically weak playing solo and for some reason I could not hire any Henchmmen, bleh. If anyone wants to play together, drop me a line, although I'm only lvl 3 atm.

-A

ps. I saw a char named Xi Blader for a minute today. Is that you Xi?
pps. How do I find the RBD/Lurker Guild?
Ashock,May 1 2005, 10:58 PM Wrote:Ok, I'm getting to like this better now. Started another character Ash Ockk, and he is a Warrior-Mesmer and I'm enjoying it more. My Warrior-Monk was pathetically weak playing solo and for some reason I could not hire any Henchmmen, bleh. If anyone wants to play together, drop me a line, although I'm only lvl 3 atm.
-A
ps. I saw a char named Xi Blader for a minute today. Is that you Xi?
pps. How do I find the RBD/Lurker Guild?
[right][snapback]75971[/snapback][/right]

I definitely do agree with the Dungeon sSege comparison (unfortunately) -- down to the slow, and rather tedious combat, the endless supply of humanoid types to bore your way through (Charr in GW, and whatever they were in DS, I prefer to forget), and the huge wilderness areas with basically linear paths. But no game ever created reaches the depths of horribleness that DS plumbed.

GW does have more interesting and better balanced combat than DS, it has a much better developed system of mini-quests (all be it often rather buggily and funkily implemented), and missions that basically involve finding the right strategies to complete them.

But, in the end, my guess is that GW will stand or fall on the PvP part (which is not my personal cup of tea, but probably what it was primarily designed for). I don't think the PvE will hold much interest in the long run (even WoW had faster combat -- perhaps because GW is balanced for the PvP aspects -- although it is a relief to have only 8 skill buttons in GW compared with the bar upon bar upon bar of buttons that you seemed to need in WoW).

As for missions, well, the first time through, you don't know what to expect, and usually fail the if there's some trick; the second time through, you know what to expect, and you usually succeed. After that, there's not a lot of replayability, though I suppose they may keep streaming new mission content.

You can't hire henchmen until after the tutorial ("post-searing" as they say -- talk to the guy by the academy to leave the "pre-searing" tutorial, which is actually more confusing than the game itself; like many things in the game, a certain amount of telepathy seems to be assumed). For the most part, the henchmen are great (apart from a tendency to run off sometimes in unfortunate directions); still, if I could replace my own character by a henchman, it would probably improve the party's play. ;)

p.s. I also couldn't figure out how the heck to contact anyone in the game (another area where telepathy seems to be required), but it looks to me like Ash Ock has an RB guild invite already.
Thecla,May 2 2005, 10:05 AM Wrote:p.s. I also couldn't figure out how the heck to contact anyone in the game (another area where telepathy seems to be required), but it looks to me like Ash Ock has an RB guild invite already.

Yes, Ash Ock has been invited, I have been scanning this thread regularly and sent invitation to those who put down their character name. Check your guild panel (default key = G).

Usually guildies just chat in the guild channel, one way to do that is simply clicking on the guild tab in the chat panel, full chat panel can be brought up by clicking that icon on bottom left corner, the one to the left where we type messages.

In the friend and guild panels, options are available when we click on the icon to the left of player's name, whisper is one of the options.

Oh, just like to mention that I often filter off the general (all) and trade chat channels, sometimes the emote channel too, so if you speak to me in general channel and I didn't reply, I am not being rude, I just don't see the message! :whistling:
- SoulEdge -
"*burp* too many pots, I need to pee..."
SoulEdge,May 2 2005, 05:25 AM Wrote:Yes, Ash Ock has been invited, I have been scanning this thread regularly and sent invitation to those who put down their character name. Check your guild panel (default key = G).

Usually guildies just chat in the guild channel, one way to do that is simply clicking on the guild tab in the chat panel, full chat panel can be brought up by clicking that icon on bottom left corner, the one to the left where we type messages.

In the friend and guild panels, options are available when we click on the icon to the left of player's name, whisper is one of the options.

Oh, just like to mention that I often filter off the general (all) and trade chat channels, sometimes the emote channel too, so if you speak to me in general channel and I didn't reply, I am not being rude, I just don't see the message!  :whistling:
[right][snapback]75989[/snapback][/right]

Yeh, I saw the guild invite, but frankly did not figure out what guild it's from and even when just for kicks I tried to join it, I could not figure out how ;-) I'll try to figure it out tonight, although I might first finish the pre-searing area. Anyway, I'm usually from about 10pm to around 2am PST, so looking forward to hooking up with someone from here sometime soon.

Thanks.

-A
Ashock,May 2 2005, 12:13 PM Wrote:Yeh, I saw the guild invite, but frankly did not figure out what guild it's from and even when just for kicks I tried to join it, I could not figure out how ;-) I'll try to figure it out tonight, although I might first finish the pre-searing area.
[right][snapback]76035[/snapback][/right]

All you have to do to accept a guild invite is open your Guild panel (either through the Menu button or just by hitting G), and you should see that you have an invitation from X guild (Realms Beyond, in this case), and below that Accept/Decline buttons.

You really should join, you get a free spiffy cape! :wub:

I guess I should get a second character through Pretty Ascalon though. Weylan Tor kicks butt (big hammer/heavy armor + death magic = fun) but he's starting to get powerful enough that he can't really group with level <10 characters without trivializing stuff.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
WarLocke,May 2 2005, 10:54 AM Wrote:You really should join, you get a free spiffy cape!&nbsp; :wub:

[right][snapback]76047[/snapback][/right]

Oh good. I've been wondering how to get one of those :)

-A
Woot Leetskills reporting for guild duty!
DeeBye,May 7 2005, 12:42 PM Wrote:Woot Leetskills reporting for guild duty!
[right][snapback]76562[/snapback][/right]

You can be the towel boy and errand runner, ok?

Quick! Get me a bagel, then I want my feet rubbed! :w00t:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
WarLocke,May 7 2005, 09:17 PM Wrote:You can be the towel boy and errand runner, ok?

Quick!&nbsp; Get me a bagel, then I want my feet rubbed!&nbsp; :w00t:
[right][snapback]76593[/snapback][/right]

I WILL NOT BE BOSSED AROUND BY YOU!

p.s. plz invite "Mrs Deebye" to the guild. My wife has expressed interest in playing this game. I don't know whether or not she'll actually attempt to get into it, but I created a Ranger for her.
DeeBye,May 8 2005, 06:52 AM Wrote:p.s. plz invite "Mrs Deebye" to the guild.&nbsp; My wife has expressed interest in playing this game.&nbsp; I don't know whether or not she'll actually attempt to get into it, but I created a Ranger for her.

Is she on another account? Else guild membership is account based, not character based. Also, we are pretty much a hierarchy-less guild, any officer (that includes you Deebye! ;) ) can invite new members.
- SoulEdge -
"*burp* too many pots, I need to pee..."
Captain Kickass, Warrior/Necromancer, reporting for duty, Sirs.

I'll likely be guilded with my fellow Bloodscalpers, but I'm up for partying hard if anyone needs another tank for a mission.

Currently Lv.3.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
I picked GW up yesterday and got Green Gloom, my Nec/El, to level 7 before I left the tutorial. Lots of quests to do if you look around for them.

While I miss travel powers dearly this game will probably share my play time with CoH.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
roguebanshee,May 13 2005, 10:58 AM Wrote:I picked GW up yesterday and got Green Gloom, my Nec/El, to level 7 before I left the tutorial. Lots of quests to do if you look around for them.

While I miss travel powers dearly this game will probably share my play time with CoH.
[right][snapback]77228[/snapback][/right]

You know that pressing M, and double-clicking on a circle will let you teleport to any of the discovered cities/outposts on your map... Right?
Swiss Mercenary,May 14 2005, 04:53 AM Wrote:You know that pressing M, and double-clicking on a circle will let you teleport to any of the discovered cities/outposts on your map... Right?
[right][snapback]77396[/snapback][/right]
But you have to get there first and you can't quick-travel to a quest giver in an explorable area, only to the closest already visited city/outpost.

You're talking to someone who took Super Speed on a character with inherent Flight because that was too slow. And compared to either of those GW movement is at a snails pace (the same could of course be said about CoH before you get movement powers...)
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
*Casts Greater Thread Ressurrection at Thread*

Bought the game today, surprised by how well it runs. Current character is a Havral Glommon, Warrior/Ranger, with a wolf pet, on the American servers, since everyone else on the Euro servers was French or German.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
NiteFox,May 31 2005, 05:46 AM Wrote:*Casts Greater Thread Ressurrection at Thread*

Bought the game today, surprised by how well it runs. Current character is a Havral Glommon, Warrior, trailed by an annoying little girl that will be being killed if my character can find an IC way of doing it.
[right][snapback]78994[/snapback][/right]

If you click on the girl again, she will tell you that she will just wait here, and stay.

Also, she can not get killed and occasionally actually heals you a bit. Anyway, she will dissapear after the searing.

-A
Ashock,May 31 2005, 03:33 PM Wrote:If you click on the girl again, she will tell you that she will just wait here, and stay.

Also, she can not get killed and occasionally actually heals you a bit. Anyway, she will dissapear after the searing.
-A
[right][snapback]79022[/snapback][/right]

You don't... Want to get her killed..?

I take it you weren't around for March beta...

"We don't need no water..."
Swiss Mercenary,Jun 1 2005, 01:19 PM Wrote:I take it you weren't around for March beta...

[right][snapback]79232[/snapback][/right]

Unfortunately, I was not in the beta since my hardware at the time could not run the game. If I were, I would not have bought the retail version.

-A