Blizz PR out right lying?
Posted first
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.a...neral&t=2571234
" Due to an overwhelming volume of transfers from high-population to low-population live realms, as well as to the test realm for the purpose of helping us test our upcoming patch content, we’ve had to close the character-transfer function for all realms sooner than anticipated to avoid any overflows. We’ll continue monitoring the realm populations and announce the reopening of the transfers to the test realm when possible, as well as to low-population realms from any eligible high-population realms should such transfers continue to be necessary."

Modified post made later
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.a...neral&t=2571234
"Due to an overwhelming volume of character transfers from high-population to low-population live realms and character copies to the test realm for the purpose of helping us test our upcoming patch content, we've had to disable the character-transfer/copy functions for all realms sooner than anticipated to avoid any overflows. We'll continue monitoring the realm populations and announce the re-enabling of the character copies to the test realm, as well as the character transfers to the designated low-population realms from the eligible high-population realms, as soon as possible. "

This really isnt the case. In fact at one point a Blizz rep even said last weeks big server downtime was because they needed to upgrade hardware since so few people were transfering.

Also the character transfer has been down for quite a while already(over a week).

I dont really have an issue with the state of the transfers. Im just disappointed to see so much disrespect for customers that Blizz will brazenly lie.

You know copying characters over to the Test server is using the same service, right? You should also know that people keep copying the same characters over and over so that they have extra money on the Test servers.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Ghostiger,Apr 13 2005, 05:37 PM Wrote:Posted first
I dont really have an issue with the state of the transfers. Im just disappointed to see so much disrespect for customers that Blizz will brazenly lie.
[right][snapback]73862[/snapback][/right]

And Bill Roper is gone . . . so who has the "only if my lips are moving am I misleading you" corner office now?

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Ghostiger,Apr 13 2005, 04:37 PM Wrote:Also the character transfer has been down for quite a while already(over a week).

They brought them back up again for a couple of days days.
Even if that aspect true its a false statement. Because the amount who transfered was rather small relative to the total characters on the server. (Im guessing Blizz could show a fairly large number of character transfers because most who did transfer did all 8 slots.)

As too Bill Roper like Occhi meantioned. I never saw him tell blatent lies about a customer service issue. Half truths and misdirection are expected when talking about details on unreleased games.
Quark,Apr 13 2005, 07:20 PM Wrote:...

You know copying characters over to the Test server is using the same service, right?  You should also know that people keep copying the same characters over and over so that they have extra money on the Test servers.
[right][snapback]73866[/snapback][/right]

I would guess that this is the crux of the problem. They are not lying, merely overgeneralizing. People are copying way too many characters to the test servers. It's possible that this traffic goes through the same server as do "legitimate" transfers from high-population to low-population servers - so it's overloading all transfers.

You really have to wonder at the wisdom of Blizzard allowing people to multi-copy their characters though. Surely the sheer excessive number of characters transferred over to the test server is responsible for some of the stability issues it's been having.
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
That is the law and the whole of the law
Ghostiger,Apr 13 2005, 04:37 PM Wrote:I dont really have an issue with the state of the transfers. Im just disappointed to see so much disrespect for customers that Blizz will brazenly lie.
[right][snapback]73862[/snapback][/right]
Similarly, I continued to be staggered by the disrespect customers have for the company without justification.

Blizzard has gone to lengths few if any other companies have ever done to keep customers informed, be receptive to feedback, and support the end user community. They had fewer bugs at product launch than any other MMO that I'm aware of, they have continued to deliver additional content and have made radical improvements in performance, and have shown remarkable temperance in dealing with a community of people that tend to sound like six year olds and are as demanding. (I not referring to everybody and certainly not Lurkers here, but the greater community as seen on Blizz's forums and elsewhere.) What's more the developers THEMSELVES have been willing to answer questions and are receptive to feedback - even in response to those same six year olds. That's unheard of.

And yet, we have folks who are out there desperately trying to throw them under the bus. ;)
savaughn,Apr 15 2005, 02:41 PM Wrote:Similarly, I continued to be staggered by the disrespect customers have for the company without justification.

Blizzard has gone to lengths few if any other companies have ever done to keep customers informed, be receptive to feedback, and support the end user community.  They had fewer bugs at product launch than any other MMO that I'm aware of, they have continued to deliver additional content and have made radical improvements in performance, and have shown remarkable temperance in dealing with a community of people that tend to sound like six year olds and are as demanding.  (I not referring to everybody and certainly not Lurkers here, but the greater community as seen on Blizz's forums and elsewhere.)  What's more the developers THEMSELVES have been willing to answer questions and are receptive to feedback - even in response to those same six year olds.  That's unheard of.

And yet, we have folks who are out there desperately trying to throw them under the bus.  ;)
[right][snapback]74106[/snapback][/right]

PSSST! We are talking video gamers, PC gamers. That is what we are talking about. Something tells me Tycho, Gabe(PA) and Ethan (CAD) are based on less hyperbole than some would admit. In every stereotype there lies some kernel of truth, however small. I agree with you on the generally decent efforts on Blizzard's behalf to continue with the "continuous improvement model."

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
savaughn,Apr 15 2005, 03:41 PM Wrote:Blizzard has gone to lengths few if any other companies have ever done to keep customers informed, be receptive to feedback, and support the end user community. 

[right][snapback]74106[/snapback][/right]

Not really. many companies do a better job of keeping customers informed(Im talking about current subscibers). I have been around online games for a long time. Blizz's level of feed back is rather weak actually, although it has improved signifigantly in the last 2 months. Mythic(a smaller company with a much older, game with its own problems) is an example of better customer feedback.

Blizz for instance is only recently realizing that if you call an unexpected server downtime a "planned maintence" after that fact that customers become upset.

I think Blizz has developed one of the best MMOs ever, but their customer relations are still lacking IMO. Honesty matters.