I am looking for a specific polyphonic ringtone
The funny thing about cellphones is that when people complain about them (conversations in the cinema, shouting over the screaming of a bunch of kids, church), you could replace the cell phone with another, physical person, and it would be equally annoying. So no, I don't see cell phones as a problem, I see people who don't know when to shut up as a problem. Always have been, always will be.

As far as jammers go, I'm pretty sure that the people who couldn't be reached and needed to (once again, emergency-wise, even if it's not a life-threatening one) will be thrilled about it. It's like the Betamax, it's all about the "non-infringing" uses.
DeeBye,Apr 13 2005, 02:16 AM Wrote:I have spent an hour today looking for a specific polyphonic ringtone, and I guess I suck at Google.  Can anyone here suggest a decent reliable website that offers ringtones?  I don't mind paying a couple of bucks as long as the website is verifiably legitimate.  Too many of the "FREE RINGTONEZ!!" sites I looked at seemed rather shady at best.

I am looking for the "Hockey Night In Canada" polyphonic ringtone.  I am on the Rogers Wireless network, using a Motorola T720 phone.  If I can't find the "Hockey Night in Canada" theme, I'll settle for the Final Fantasy 7 battle theme song.

What are you using for your ringtone?
[right][snapback]73754[/snapback][/right]
Damn! I had a great one of the Final Fantasy 7 battle theme song. (The place where the piccolo flute comes in.) I'm sad to say that I've lost it.

I don't know about sites with polyphonic ringtones, but what I used to do (before I lost the program.. how the hell do I lose these things?) was to download regular midi files, edit them with Studio XP 2003 (fix the tempo, remove or add pieces of the music, etc) and then upload them to my own ftp. I then logged onto the FTP with my cell phone and downloaded the song. I did this a lot and saved mountains of money. In addition to saving money, by making your own ringtones you get to customize it just the way you like it. You can crop out sections of a song so that only your favourite bit is playing, you can speed it up, which is something I like to do with ringtones, seeing as you don't usually get to hear all that much of it when someone calls before you pick it up. I had Pachelbel Canon once at double tempo. That was pretty nifty :)

If someone could find me a trial version of Studio XP 2003 (which is the only audio editing program I know), I could do it again.

edit: I'm using Pachelbel - Gigue for when I get messages and Liquid Tension Experiment - Biaxident for my ringtone.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Walkiry,Apr 14 2005, 04:45 AM Wrote:As far as jammers go, I'm pretty sure that the people who couldn't be reached and needed to (once again, emergency-wise, even if it's not a life-threatening one) will be thrilled about it. It's like the Betamax, it's all about the "non-infringing" uses.
[right][snapback]73907[/snapback][/right]

HOGWASH.

The world went about it's business just fine before the cell phone. People went to movies, went to church, went to clubs and bars, and generally went about their business. LIFE GOES ON. That whole "emergency life threatening or otherwise" thing is a sympathy generator. Oh boo hoo... I don't buy it. And neither should anybody else. Why, people used to go a WHOLE FRIGGING DAY WORKING ON A JOB AND NEVER SEE A TELEPHONE! OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!1ONEELEVEN!! How did they survive such conditions... Life went on just fine.

I have yet to hear of a can't live with out it reason for owning a cell phone.

All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Apr 14 2005, 09:42 AM Wrote:I have yet to hear of a can't live with out it reason for owning a cell phone.
[right][snapback]73929[/snapback][/right]
The same for cars and all other technological advances over the last couple of thousand years otherwise none of us would be here. Obviously we can live without just about everything we've got now otherwise our ancestors would never have made it to being ancestors. ;)
Intolerant monkey.
So ... like cellphones annoy people, I guess guns also kill people?

Yelling at technology because people misuse it is pointless. My life is better because I have a cellphone, even though I only use it in my room (it's cheaper!) or when I'm in trouble.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Doc,Apr 14 2005, 03:42 PM Wrote:HOGWASH.

Fine:

The world went about it's business just fine before the car. People went to the theatre, went to church, went to pubs and bars, and generally went about their business. LIFE GOES ON. That whole "moving faster to live better or otherwise" thing is a sympathy generator. Oh boo hoo... I don't buy it. And neither should anybody else. Why, people used to go a WHOLE FRIGGING DAY RIDING THEIR HORSES AND NEVER SEE A CAR! OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!1ONEELEVEN!! How did they survive such conditions... Life went on just fine.

I have yet to hear of a can't live with out it reason for owning a car.

Cellphones are convenient, they're nice, and they let you reach people more easily, be it for emergencies, funny things, or just nice gimmicks. Your beef with them is no different, as I said, than what you'd have if in the exact same situation two people were having a loud conversation. Which happens. A lot.

Want a little example? Just a little one, a nice "gimmick". My mother is afraid of planes. So, whenever we travel (we usually all know when we're travelling because we talk a lot), we give her a call after landing to let her know we're sound and safe at whatever our destination was. A small, half a minute conversation, and she's much happier. So really, I see that minute interruption of whatever you're doing as pretty small compared to the few hours of peace it buys her if she happened to be away from a landline.

Want a better one? It's not a "dire emergency" or anything of the sorts, but nice nevertheless. Last January my brother was at a trade show in London, for three days, and was having lunch with some of his coworkers and a few other people from said trade show. Networking and business as usual. Then his phone rings. He answers. Why would he have his phone with him and answer it straight away in that situation? Because his wife was pregnant and due next week, but as things go there's always room for error. 20 minutes later he was at Heathrow (he didn't even pack, his housemate did it for him), and arrived to the hospital in Barcelona just in time.

And frankly, if he hadn't gotten that phone call, and missed the birth of his son because you were smugly playing with your jammer somewhere nearby he'd have probably given you the punch in the face you so rightly deserve for being an asshat, Mr. "OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!1ONEELEVEN!!"
Cellphones are a tool. Like everything else people find ways to missuse tools. Other people just are tools ;)

Blaming other people's behavior for one's lack of self control is a copout. There are times I wish I had a cellphone jammer to end conversations that were clearly unimportant (a relative assesment, I know) and disruptive, but those times are relatively few and far between. Most cell phone use I've seen, other than while driving, has not inconvenienced me very much at all.

Now if they made a jammer for missbehaving kids I'd be one of the first in line. B)
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Come live where I live, with the ignorant unwashed masses of rednecks. Dumb country bumpkins. These are people that have a hard time walking and chewing gum at the same time. They are the sort of people that will bring a screaming 1 or 2 year old brat into a fine dining establishment, or into a movie theatre, and then allow said tot to SCREAM through the whole time.

I don't leave my jammer on all the time. I don't "play" with it, contrary to the above assuption. When I go into a place where I like to eat and have a nice dinner, damnit, I am going to make sure I have a nice dinner. I turn on the jammer and then drop whatever I need to to the manager to kick out those with the screaming brood. I shouldn't have to do this, but I do. If I go into a meeting, or a gathering, or some event where paying attention is required, the jammer goes on. If I go into a movie, I turn the jammer on. And I turn it off the moment the credits roll. If a business can not enforce the policy of "please turn your phones off during the movie" then I reserve my right to use whatever means at my disposal to get what I PAID for.

Cell jammers are currently illegal. But I don't think they will remain as such for long. I have talked with a lot folks that own places like dining establishments and theatres and public places, and most of them want to purchase commercial jammers. A few guys I know already do this, illegal or not, and people in general are so dumb that they can't figure out why their phones never work in this place or that place. There are big signs at the entrance saying to please turn off your cell phones, yet, people still can't figure out why they can't seem to call out or get a call in... If they had turned off their cell phones as requested, they wouldn't even be aware that there is a problem. A business can lose a lot of money from potential customers... Big spenders and good tippers like my self simply because the atmosphere is so damned annoying. And businesses want people like me to come and spend my money and line their pockets. And do to this means satisfying my desires. I vote with my wallet. So, illegal or not, businesses that start using jammers are more likely to get my business. Places that offer zero tolerance for bad behaviour are going to get my money. And there are a LOT of people just like me.

And if I really wanted to be a prick, I could turn my jammer up to full blast. All I want is a small quiet zone around me. It's not asking much, it's not being an asshat, and in general is good for everybody including those with cell phones because it gives them a break from the constant pressures of the outside world. When I went and saw Robots, a woman a row behind me said "I can't believe nobody has called, it was wonderful to have time to my self" to her friend.

All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Apr 14 2005, 02:40 PM Wrote:Come live where I live, with the ignorant unwashed masses of rednecks. Dumb country bumpkins. These are people that have a hard time walking and chewing gum at the same time. They are the sort of people that will bring a screaming 1 or 2 year old brat into a fine dining establishment, or into a movie theatre, and then allow said tot to SCREAM through the whole time.
Rednecks aren't the only people who do that. :wacko:
Quote:I don't leave my jammer on all the time. I don't "play" with it, contrary to the above assuption. When I go into a place where I like to eat and have a nice dinner, damnit, I am going to make sure I have a nice dinner. I turn on the jammer and then drop whatever I need to to the manager to kick out those with the screaming brood. I shouldn't have to do this, but I do. If I go into a meeting, or a gathering, or some event where paying attention is required, the jammer goes on. If I go into a movie, I turn the jammer on. And I turn it off the moment the credits roll. If a business can not enforce the policy of "please turn your phones off during the movie" then I reserve my right to use whatever means at my disposal to get what I PAID for.
Cell phones ringing in movies are rudeness. I personally concur with your jammer position in theatres. There is such a thing as voice mail. And, considerations for other patrons. Which brings to mind the jagovs who talk during movies, who fart during movies, who . . .

Quote:Cell jammers are currently illegal. But I don't think they will remain as such for long. I have talked with a lot folks that own places like dining establishments and theatres and public places, and most of them want to purchase commercial jammers. A few guys I know already do this, illegal or not, and people in general are so dumb that they can't figure out why their phones never work in this place or that place. There are big signs at the entrance saying to please turn off your cell phones, yet, people still can't figure out why they can't seem to call out or get a call in... If they had turned off their cell phones as requested, they wouldn't even be aware that there is a problem. A business can lose a lot of money from potential customers... Big spenders and good tippers like my self simply because the atmosphere is so damned annoying. And businesses want people like me to come and spend my money and line their pockets. And do to this means satisfying my desires. I vote with my wallet. So, illegal or not, businesses that start using jammers are more likely to get my business.  Places that offer zero tolerance for bad behaviour are going to get my money. And there are a LOT of people just like me.
Radar detectors were illegal for years, yet sold by the bucket ful. :)
Quote:And if I really wanted to be a prick, I could turn my jammer up to full blast. All I want is a small quiet zone around me. It's not asking much, it's not being an asshat, and in general is good for everybody including those with cell phones because it gives them a break from the constant pressures  of the outside world. When I went and saw Robots, a woman a row behind me said "I can't believe nobody has called, it was wonderful to have time to my self" to her friend
Here you are making an assumption that you know what is for someone else's own good. My my, Doc, a bit presumptious in our old age, aren't we? :lol:

Occhi
*No, really, I never told anyone something "for their own good." Really!*
Hmmm, that look on yer face says "That dog won't hunt!" :P
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Doc,Apr 14 2005, 09:42 AM Wrote:I have yet to hear of a can't live with out it reason for owning a cell phone.
[right][snapback]73929[/snapback][/right]

That is only because you're old and losing your memory. :P

When I raised the topic of cell phone jammers on the RBD board, some time ago, there was a rather compelling reason offered by LKendter.

He has a child with serious health problems, who requires round-the-clock nursing. If he or his wife were taking a much-needed break from the burden of this care, and missed a phone call because of your decision about what is needed, what then? As he pointed out in his post, he would gladly forgo using that establishment if he knew that he could not receive a call there. Instead, he has the likes of you making that decision for him? :huh:

I like the notion of having cell phone jammers provided by restaurants, theatres and all other places where there should be a reasonable expectation of lack of interruption. But it should be provided by the establishment, and the presence of the jammer should be posted, instead of having it provided surreptitiously by a vigilante do-gooder.

And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Apr 14 2005, 06:59 PM Wrote:That is only because you're old and losing your memory.  :P

When I raised the topic of cell phone jammers on the RBD board, some time ago, there was a rather compelling reason offered by LKendter.

He has a child with serious health problems, who requires round-the-clock nursing.  If he or his wife were taking a much-needed break from the burden of this care, and missed a phone call because of your decision about what is needed, what then?    As he pointed out in his post, he would gladly forgo using that establishment if he knew that he could not receive a call there.  Instead, he has the likes of you making that decision for him?    :huh:

I like the notion of having cell phone jammers provided by restaurants, theatres and all other places where there should be a reasonable expectation of lack of interruption.  But it should be provided by the establishment, and the presence of the jammer should be posted, instead of having it provided surreptitiously by a vigilante do-gooder.
[right][snapback]73991[/snapback][/right]

I agree Shadow. And when that day comes, when businesses become responsible for satisfying the customer, I will toss my jammer into the Reedy River.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Apr 15 2005, 02:11 AM Wrote:I agree Shadow. And when that day comes, when businesses become responsible for satisfying the customer, I will toss my jammer into the Reedy River.
[right][snapback]73997[/snapback][/right]

Translation:

"Until everyone conforms to my view I'll continue to impose it as I see fit".

Basically you've found a magic button that will let your impose your view that "there's no excuse for a cellphone here", and you have seized it with both hands. You may give priority to the peace and quiet of your dinner over anything else, but someone else may have, in their eyes, a better reason to have that cell phone on than your reason to want it off. Ever gone to a restaurant or a cinema with a doctor?

I really don't care about Redneck Central. Your beef with people screaming at inappropiate times is the same wherever it's their brats, their cellphone, or their dim-witted companion. Beef with I most definitely agree with. And getting the manager of the establishment to do something about it is most definitely in line.

Making the decision for everyone else of what's acceptable and what's not with a sledgehammer is, quite frankly, equally rude.
Walkiry,Apr 15 2005, 04:14 AM Wrote:Translation:

"Until everyone conforms to my view I'll continue to impose it as I see fit".

Basically you've found a magic button that will let your impose your view that "there's no excuse for a cellphone here", and you have seized it with both hands. You may give priority to the peace and quiet of your dinner over anything else, but someone else may have, in their eyes, a better reason to have that cell phone on than your reason to want it off. Ever gone to a restaurant or a cinema with a doctor?

I really don't care about Redneck Central. Your beef with people screaming at inappropiate times is the same wherever it's their brats, their cellphone, or their dim-witted companion. Beef with I most definitely agree with. And getting the manager of the establishment to do something about it is most definitely in line.

Making the decision for everyone else of what's acceptable and what's not with a sledgehammer is, quite frankly, equally rude.
[right][snapback]74027[/snapback][/right]

Extreme situations demand extreme measures.

You see, it's not just my view.... Or making the world around me conform to what I want... There are plenty of other people other there that want exactly what I want as well. That's why some places are running a jammer. Obnoxious jackasses on cellphones with LOUD annoying ringtones and even more annoying conversation is a serious issue. It has lead to several murders in this area. Not something I would do personally... But before my jammer I did teach a few folks a lesson by crushing their phone and then lecturing them on social graces. If I were living in a wonderful enlightened society full of people with good manners that paused and considered others, and didn't act like a jackass, none of these measures would be needed at all and I would most certainly be in the wrong.

Sledgehammer? You may be right. I am a severely outnumbered minority here. So my actions are bound to be somewhat controversial. That's ok. It's always been this way. The actions of a rogue few will eventually lead to the acceptance of many when the cause is just. I have the courage to break the ice (and occassionally a few heads) and lead the way. People that don't have this courage are usually the ones sitting on the sidelines bitching about my methods. These people are called panty waisted Nancy boys. When the situation does change, these people ride on your coat tails and tell everybody they supported you all along and how wonderful it is to have (insert whatever just changed here) Having survived the Civil Rights Movment, it's nice to see some familiar faces making comments from the peanut gallery as we move into the next conflict.

People have no reason to be rude. A well armed society is a polite society. A long time ago, men carried pistols. And you watched your mouth. You were polite and behaved in a genteel fashion. You didn't go off and run your mouth. If you did, it would mean pistols for two at dawn, followed by breakfast for one. In this environment, civility won the day. Kindness was the established norm. Before pistols, it was swords. Standing in a room interupting everybody's peace and quiet, shouting, screaming, and swearing would most likely get you slapped with a glove followed by receiving a consequence for your actions. There was a price for being rude. In light of said consequences, I would say using a cell jammer is a mere slap on the wrist compared to what could (and should) happen.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Here's the problem with nostalgia -- inevitably, you always remember the good and forget about the bad. Everything looks just perfect when you do that.

See, I for one don't feel like getting shot because I forget to turn my cell phone ringer off before sitting down for dinner. I don't mind being reminded by the manager of the restaurant when my cell phone goes off, and I'll certainly turn my phone on silent imediately afterwards.

The "good old days" where people were challenged to a duel if they offended someone... *sigh.* Please tell me you're not entirely serious. Yes, I can agree that some people need a lesson, and I can agree that some people will only react to extreme lessons. But I still don't feel like being shot because I forgot to turn my ringer off.

As for your area being "redneck central," well, it's already been stated that even with cell phones outlawed, people will be rude. I will add, however, that if it's so bad in your area that the choices are cell jammer or physically attacking someone, maybe you need to move.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
ShadowHM,Apr 14 2005, 07:59 PM Wrote:That is only because you're old and losing your memory.  :P

He has a child with serious health problems, who requires round-the-clock nursing.  If he or his wife were taking a much-needed break from the burden of this care, and missed a phone call because of your decision about what is needed, what then?    As he pointed out in his post, he would gladly forgo using that establishment if he knew that he could not receive a call there.  Instead, he has the likes of you making that decision for him?    :huh:
[right][snapback]73991[/snapback][/right]
Maybe its because I'm a worry wart but I always provide the telephone number of the restraunt where the wife and I are dining to the sitter. this alleviates the need for the Cell phone to be on for emergencies during dinner at least. :)

Movies...are a different problem. I do give them the number and tell them what show we are seeing but keep the phone on in silent mode. With caller ID I can take calls in the lobby that are from home (which may be an emergency call) and ignore the others.

I wouldn't want the decision on whether or not I received a call taken out of my hands.
Doc,Apr 15 2005, 08:42 AM Wrote:Extreme situations demand extreme measures.

People have no reason to be rude. A well armed society is a polite society. A long time ago, men carried pistols. And you watched your mouth. You were polite and behaved in a genteel fashion. You didn't go off and run your mouth. If you did, it would mean pistols for two at dawn, followed by breakfast for one. In this environment, civility won the day. Kindness was the established norm. Before pistols, it was swords. Standing in a room interupting everybody's peace and quiet, shouting, screaming, and swearing would most likely get you slapped with a glove followed by receiving a consequence for your actions. There was a price for being rude. In light of said consequences, I would say using a cell jammer is a mere slap on the wrist compared to what could (and should) happen.
[right][snapback]74038[/snapback][/right]

Baloney ...

"Kindness was the established norm" indeed ! Go study your history books again, Doc. Most duellers were swaggering 'upper class' bullies who insisted that they knew how everyone else was supposed to behave, mainly because they had nothing better to do.

A long time ago, Vikings came along with big axes and insisted they had the right to take all your stuff and make you their slave. And they were not polite to each other either. They had plenty of murders between each other too. Heads got smashed in on a regular basis. Feel nostalgic for that?

I am more than stunned at your comparison of the Civil Rights movement with cell-phone annoyance. You must be in one snit of a mood these days on a regular basis if that is the kind of logic you are falling into.

Your 'forthright leadership' is my 'reprehensible bully'.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Manners? Not in a land with MTV and in your face cultural icons.
Doc,Apr 15 2005, 07:42 AM Wrote:People have no reason to be rude. A well armed society is a polite society. A long time ago, men carried pistols. And you watched your mouth. You were polite and behaved in a genteel fashion. You didn't go off and run your mouth. If you did, it would mean pistols for two at dawn, followed by breakfast for one. In this environment, civility won the day.
[right][snapback]74038[/snapback][/right]
I liked tht "pistols for two followed by breakfast for one." Maybe the title of my next album . . . if I culd get that rock band started.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
ShadowHM,Apr 15 2005, 09:50 AM Wrote:Baloney ... 

"Kindness was the established norm" indeed !  Go study your history books again, Doc.  Most duellers were swaggering 'upper class' bullies who insisted that they knew how everyone else was supposed to behave, mainly because they had nothing better to do. 

A long time ago, Vikings came along with big axes and insisted they had the right to take all your stuff and make you their slave.  And they were not polite to each other either.  They had plenty of murders between each other too.  Heads got smashed in on a regular basis.    Feel nostalgic for that? 

I am more than stunned at your comparison of the Civil Rights movement with cell-phone annoyance.  You must be in one snit of a mood these days on a regular basis if that is the kind of logic you are falling into.

Your 'forthright leadership' is my 'reprehensible bully'.
[right][snapback]74044[/snapback][/right]

No, the two are quite different. But share some common ground. The small majority who want what's right compared to the overwhelming majority that doesn't care. One was a very serious issue with a large rippling effect. The other could become a very large issue with a ripple effect. Both of them do have a small bit in common... It boils down to basic human civility and consideration. Both have in common the ignorant idiot majority thinking they can do as they please with no consequences.

And yes, I am in a snit. Very much so. I had retreated from the world for a considerable length of time, doing the whole hermit thing. I am now going back into the world. I can safely say it has gone to hell, at least in my small area. I never recall it being this bad. I am sober now... Very much so, for good or for ill. I am told from the people that still love me that I am not a very nice person when I am sober. I have this whole problem of "getting things done and taking out the trash." I have gone into "Seek and Destry Mode" and cell phones and the morons that use them have fallen into my crosshairs. Anything that irks me... Bothers me... Chaps my hide is going to earn my baleful attention.

I am however, trying to stick to some of my morals. Instead of hauling people outside and educating them in social graces by beating their ass, I have so far tried to stick to non-violent forms of protest. Like a cell jammer.

Like it or not, I am an asshole. For a long span of years, I mellowed, er, pickled out. I am back to the man I used to be. Woke up. I have found out on the inside that I am still the man that would dump a ton of fish into a strip club to protest it's location. I am not in a bid for a popularity contest. I am here to do the right thing, even if it makes me unpopular. I am still the vengeful little SOB bastard that I used to be. I am a mean spiteful hateful little arrogant angry little short man that has a gripe with the world. The alcoholic fog has cleared away and now I am picking up where I left off.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Occhidiangela,Apr 15 2005, 09:56 AM Wrote:Manners?  Not in a land with MTV and in your face cultural icons. 

I liked tht "pistols for two followed by breakfast for one."  Maybe the title of my next album . . . if I culd get that rock band started.

Occhi
[right][snapback]74046[/snapback][/right]

Occhi, feel free me amigo. All I ask is 1% royalties.

And Occhi... Culd?
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."

>People have no reason to be rude. A well armed society is a polite society. A long time ago, men carried pistols.

There's one problem with that analogy. At least with a pistol you have the ability to aim at something or someone specific.

Based on what you described, your jammer has an indiscriminate area of effect. And your reasonings so far includes the few who does know how to use a cell phone (hint hint, vibrate mode feels oh so good in the pockets), as an acceptable price for silence.

So unless I missed something, your jammin' justifications are not that different from the jackasses you so despise.

> I have the courage to break the ice (and occassionally a few heads) and lead the way. People that don't have this courage are usually the ones sitting on the sidelines bitching about my methods. These people are called panty waisted Nancy boys.

When that lady you described wondered out loud how surprising that no cells has gone off yet, did you inform her that you were the courteous gentleman that provided that service? Do you inform people in a restaurant that if there's any surgeons or doctors in the house, they should be aware that you are now activating your jammer? Because otherwise I'm having a real hard time distinguishing between you and the comedian in a darkened theatre with his hilarious laser pointer.