Melee Crit Rate
I've been searching everywhere for the formula used to calculate melee %crit percentages. I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone on the Lounge know the formula for melee %crits?

If I recall correctly, it was pretty simple during Beta - it was something like 5% + (Agility - 20) / CLvl, Rogues got double the normal %crit. But it seems to have changed since then.
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
That is the law and the whole of the law
BoddoZerg,Mar 31 2005, 10:47 AM Wrote:I've been searching everywhere for the formula used to calculate melee %crit percentages. I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone on the Lounge know the formula for melee %crits?

If I recall correctly, it was pretty simple during Beta - it was something like 5% + (Agility - 20) / CLvl, Rogues got double the normal %crit. But it seems to have changed since then.
[right][snapback]72591[/snapback][/right]

The formula to crit in melee appears now to vary by class and seems to scale by level. I don't know it, but looking for just one formula may not get you anywhere.
If the formula has changed, is it at least still true that +30 agility == +1% chance to crit?
Xanthix,Mar 31 2005, 02:05 PM Wrote:If the formula has changed, is it at least still true that +30 agility == +1% chance to crit?
[right][snapback]72612[/snapback][/right]

Well it's always been level- and class-dependent. 30 agility for 1% crit was true for a level 60 Rogue in Beta, but not for any other classes or other levels.

I tested yesterday with a level 24 Warrior and got 1% crit per 11 agility.

Also, I have heard that each point of difference between your Attack Rating and your enemy's Defense Rating is worth 0.04% crit. (both positive and negative - if the enemy's Defense is much higher than your Attack, you will never crit) I believe the listed %crit in your skills screen is against an enemy with Defense = 5 * your level. (the maximum base Defense for your level)

PS: Come to think about it... I wonder if Resistances decrease the chance of spells to crit. That would be really interesting but obscenely difficult to test.
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
That is the law and the whole of the law
BoddoZerg,Mar 31 2005, 01:11 PM Wrote:Well it's always been level- and class-dependent. 30 agility for 1% crit was true for a level 60 Rogue in Beta, but not for any other classes or other levels.

Also, I have heard that each point of difference between your Attack Rating and your enemy's Defense Rating is worth 0.04% crit. (both positive and negative - if the enemy's Defense is much higher than your Attack, you will never crit) I believe the listed %crit in your skills screen is against an enemy with Defense = 5 * your level. (the maximum base Defense for your level)

PS: Come to think about it... I wonder if Resistances decrease the chance of spells to crit. That would be really interesting but obscenely difficult to test.
[right][snapback]72614[/snapback][/right]

I thought it had been level/2 worth of agility was 1% crit. Hence you need 30 agi for an L60, but but only 15 agi for an L30 to get 1%. That is almost what the L24 warrior was though it should have been 12 agi and not 11 but oh well.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
BoddoZerg,Mar 31 2005, 02:11 PM Wrote:Well it's always been level- and class-dependent. 30 agility for 1% crit was true for a level 60 Rogue in Beta, but not for any other classes or other levels.

[right][snapback]72614[/snapback][/right]

The crit vs mob-defense seems to be right, as my warrior gets crits all over the place on cloth-wearers, and quite a bit less on armored targets. I would guess 15-20% crit or more is not out of the question for my warrior on cloth-wearers. If they stay in melee range, they die quickly.
--Mav
Mavfin,Mar 31 2005, 05:39 PM Wrote:The crit vs mob-defense seems to be right, as my warrior gets crits all over the place on cloth-wearers, and quite a bit less on armored targets. I would guess 15-20% crit or more is not out of the question  for my warrior on cloth-wearers.  If they stay in melee range, they die quickly.
[right][snapback]72632[/snapback][/right]

Wearing some mail and a little leather, my Warrior has about 31% crit. In all plate, it goes down to around 25%.

Like Mavfin, I've noticed I crit against cloth wearers (I'm referring to players here; mobs have set Defense values, so the fact that he's critting frequently against caster mobs is likely not a coincidence :) ) more frequently. This may be from the fact that they aren't getting hit in melee combat as frequently as a frontliner like myself, therefore their Defense probably isn't at 300/300.

At level 60, I get 1% crit from 20 Agility.

Some other Warriors and I have amassed a fair amount of +Defense items, and we're slowly getting some Core Leather patches (which add +5 Defense instead of Armor) to play with. We'll do some testing on how much Attack vs. Defense affects the critrate once we get bored enough :)
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.