Altitis
Phoenix,Mar 27 2005, 05:08 PM Wrote:But it's called "wolves", not "wolfs". "knives", not "knifes". Why is dwarves different?
[right][snapback]72063[/snapback][/right]
Because they come from different root languages? I have no idea, but if you look in Webster's, it allows both dwarfs and dwarves as accepted spellings. Maybe it's just one of those weird English vs American things.
Intolerant monkey.
I've been afflicted with altitis as well. However for me it was in part a concious decision. My plan from the start was to be a Rest Bonus Monger.

My friends envy the fact that I can play as much as I want and never run out of rest bonus. ;)

8 characters is a bit much to keep up with, though. After the characters start maturing, it becomes impossible. So I decided to choose my favorite 4 characters and "focus" on them. It gives me the variety I need, supplies me enough rest bonus for my spoiled needs, and gives me a half-decent leveling speed for each of them.

If you don't want to focus on a subset of your characters, you might want to pick one character as your "main" and simply ensure that you use up his rest bonus. I did this on my mage - he'll be 56 tomorrow night. Played him pretty hardcore from release day until level 30, since then I've just been playing him with rest bonus.
Less QQ more Pew Pew
Malakar,Mar 27 2005, 07:56 PM Wrote:I've been afflicted with altitis as well. However for me it was in part a concious decision. My plan from the start was to be a Rest Bonus Monger.

My friends envy the fact that I can play as much as I want and never run out of rest bonus. ;)

8 characters is a bit much to keep up with, though. After the characters start maturing, it becomes impossible. So I decided to choose my favorite 4 characters and "focus" on them. It gives me the variety I need, supplies me enough rest bonus for my spoiled needs, and gives me a half-decent leveling speed for each of them.
[right][snapback]72068[/snapback][/right]

I played Arethor pretty hardcore this last week getting atleast 4 levels from 42-46 and 3 levels in 3 days at one point. Unfortunately he ran out of rested towards the end because i put sleep off cause i was having such a good time. :w00t:

Last night I decided to adopt a similar pattern to what you speak of. I realized that with the current level of playing i was putting into him I wouldn't be getting much rested bonus. And as has been echoed by various individuals rested bonus= :wub: I also realized that i've been pretty much focusing on 3 different characters. Arethor being my main and Zane and Galgamesh as the two prodigies. I intend to focus on these 3. Of course with the main focus on Arethor.

Unfortunately now that my Spring Break is over my leveling speed is going to slow down. WoW time is going to be less until May when classes end and summer begins. This of course means regular rested bonus for Arethor though. :shuriken:
Currently enjoying liberating the land of Sanctuary

[Image: arethor.jpg]
Stormrage - US (Inactive)
Bolty,Mar 23 2005, 12:44 PM Wrote:3) Cross-tradeskills.  Most every profession will require goods used/made by another profession at some point, and, well, no need to hit the auction house or ask around for them, if your alt army can make them.
This is one advantage you can get out of alt tradeskills. Another is you can choose to go for multiple tradeskills that have 1-4day cooldown recipes, like Tailoring and Alchemy. I currently have 2 mooncloth makers, with 1 more coming up in the next week, and an alchemist. Right now mooncloth sells for 15g on my server, so that's almost 30g for free every 4 days, soon to be 45g. :D I figure once the price starts going down (thanks to me), I can always pick up another trade skill.

Quote:Broken record mode - I can't keep recommending CTMod enough.  Small memory footprint, you can download only the parts of it you want, and doesn't blow your install up on each patch.  Well coded software with no bloat, and does all the major things people want out of a mod.  Cosmos was the first major mod out for WoW, so it's the most popular - but CTMod is being used more and more by the elite players, and there's a good reason for it.
I just recently tried out CTMod, which I might have missed if you weren't a broken record. :D I liked it - especially the fact that it worked on update day. However there was one thing that bothered me. It starts using your existing hotbars on I think the third one, and I like to use the first 4 for my own purposes, since shift+1-4 is easier to hit than shift+5-7. I also don't like the Blizzard implementation of sidebars because they're both on the right side, I like the balanced field of vision of a left and right sidebar.

So I'm back to using Cosmos for the moment. However I did come out on top from trying out CT. I'm currently using 3 of its addons on top of Cosmos. Talk about bloat. :)
Less QQ more Pew Pew
Well, I started out, and had to try every race and/or class up to about 12. Then I deleted them, all but two or three, leveled my first char up to 30, and a druid to 20.

At this point, I'd been on WoW a month. Some may think I'm crazy, and I may have been, but I'll say up front that what I did next was worth it. I took my 3 chars I had left, sold them to nakedness, and mailed the money, about 30g, to a new alt. Once the money was received, I deleted them all, except the new alt. I started one more, a rebuild of my original warrior, and sent her half of the gold.

She's now 32 again, and far more powerful than the original one ever was, just from what I learned over that time, and maybe the 7 blue items she's using. I'm down to 3 Alliance chars and 3 Horde chars, and my 32 warrior is still first up in my thoughts at the moment, as she's leading me into lots of new territory now. I know the <30 areas *very well* now, so it's time to move on.

I do have my 3 Horde alts (22 warrior, 10 shaman, 10 warlock) waiting for when I get bored with Alliance, and my 2 Alliance alts (15 rogue, 12 hunter) waiting for the day it's time to park Keshi for a time, which I would guess is about 40. I think I've hit the 30 quest wall and blasted through it, with the help of my 36 hunter friend, who I've duoed with since we were both lvl 9 with our first chars! There's very little the two of us can't handle, unless there's just too many mobs.

I find myself being a tour guide for newer players a fair amount, and answering questions on General a lot, even when just walking through Elwynn, or Westfall, or something. I also have several groups of friends who ask for me to tank for them for instances, so I do instances 4 nights out of 7, usually, some my level, some a little low, just for the fun of it. (Yes, I've been known to help zerg VC at 30, because tanking Smite by myself and making him so mad that the rest of the group could put a nuke in his underwear and he'd ignore them, is so fun.)

The issue with traveling doesn't bother me. Keshi is a have-mace-will-travel girl, and is always looking for a new horizon.

I guess I keep finding more and more fun things about the game, and so I'm still happy with it. I figure once I get my mount with this char, around 40-45 somewhere, I'll probably park her for a bit and level one of the alts.

One other note, not on this subject: I LOVE what they did for the warrior in the patch.
--Mav
Treesh,Mar 27 2005, 05:32 PM Wrote:Because they come from different root languages?&nbsp; I have no idea, but if you look in Webster's, it allows both dwarfs and dwarves as accepted spellings.&nbsp; Maybe it's just one of those weird English vs American things.
[right][snapback]72066[/snapback][/right]

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Tolkein took it upon himself to make dwarves a word within the context of his world, and being a philologist had a good reason for doing so. I can't remember the exact why. Shippey discusses it in "The Author of the Century" IIRC.

Your "root word" observation is at least part of the answer. German for dwarf is zverg. I recall from various articles that Tolkein used a number of old languages, and forms, for his root constructions. Even the word Hobbit is a literary pun, as are such names as Eomer and Samwise. :D (Horseman and Halfwit, IIRC.)

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Making new alts destroyed the game for me.

Since European launch ive made a 32 mage, 21 druid, 18 hunter, 16 hunter, 14 hunter, 14 priest, 13 priest, 13 priest, 14 mage, 11 druid, 12 druid, 8 shaman, 13 warrior, 9 warrior, 8 paladin, 14 warlock, 16 warlock, 9 rogue (90% horde)

prolly a couple more I forgot.

This, combined with moving servers and deleting chars, has made the game very dull for me. I can't stand the Barrens anymore, I know all durotar/mulgore/tiris/barrens quest by heart now and it is just monotonous.
Even alliance alts are boring, the quests are all "loot x hides and y heads" or fedex quests.

Another thing that I think attributes to boredom(compared to Diablo2) is that you can't aim; just click a monster and your spells will automatically hit. I definately prefer the sorceress' fireball over the mage's fireball. ;)

I will definately give Guild Wars a shot when it is released next month.
St0neh,Mar 28 2005, 12:44 PM Wrote:Another thing that I think attributes to boredom(compared to Diablo2) is that you can't aim; just click a monster and your spells will automatically hit.
[right][snapback]72118[/snapback][/right]

Blizzard. Flamestrike. Grenades.

In fact, I'd have to say laying down targeted AoE in this game is one of its most challenging aspects...
Darian Redwin - just some dude now
St0neh,Mar 28 2005, 12:44 PM Wrote:Another thing that I think attributes to boredom(compared to Diablo2) is that you can't aim; just click a monster and your spells will automatically hit. I definately prefer the sorceress' fireball over the mage's fireball. ;)
That's one thing that bothers me about RPGs in general. They require very little skill, and often times only very simple tactics used in extreme repetition.

Excuse me while I go play Zelda 2.
Less QQ more Pew Pew