Content patch is TOMORROW
Hooray! New dance steps added for Tauren women! I no longer have to change into ghost wolf in order to dance! It's still nothing fantastic, but she actually does stuff now instead of the same 2 sec (hyperbole there since I never actually timed it, but it was something really short) animation looped over and over again. :)
Intolerant monkey.
TheDragoon,Mar 22 2005, 01:15 PM Wrote:Bleh, I hate the Blizzard Downloader.  I've got everything set up well on my computer but it's downloading slow enough as to register as 0.00 KB/s due to the UW's network firewalls.  If I could just get a nice direct download, I'd be done in seconds given the speed of the UW network.  Unfortunately, the UW Ethernet REALLY hates anything like BitTorrent.

I wish Blizzard would give me the option to directly download the patch and then take half an hour directly uploading it to other people via FTP rather than using the downloader.  I'd get the patch a heck of a lot faster AND I'm sure other people would love to benefit from my 1+ MB/s upload speed rather than the ~0.50 KB/s average that my upload seems to be getting with the downloader.  :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]71495[/snapback][/right]

I copy all the patches to my webspace. If you have the US version and you are having problems downloading the patch, send me a PM and I will give you the URL. It will be on my account at around 5:30 central time.

EDIT: Well it's not happening with this one until tomorrow which probably won't help anyone. I have to find out what is eating 550MB of my 600MB account first it appears.

EDIT 2: I've had the patch up for about 2 hours now. If you still need it PM me.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Treesh,Mar 22 2005, 04:44 PM Wrote:It's still nothing fantastic, but she actually does stuff now
[right][snapback]71515[/snapback][/right]

She does the "Electric Slide" now... ;)
~Not all who wander are lost...~
3 mechanical squirrels, two rubber bands and some string later, this thing is downloading, but I just got a scary little disruption that read "Could not connect to tracker." I clicked okay, so we'll see....

Patch seemed to have installed no error message, but now I can't get through the authentication at login.

Bah!
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
Got home from work at about two.

Started the download at about 2:30.

It was at 82 percent when I cancelled it, at about 5:20, after I had gotten past the thousand-man Fileplanet waiting list. Proceeded to finish the download in Fileplanet form in under ten minutes.

Got some Nox in in the meantime. Cool semi-old game.

It is now installing.

But I'm in Teamspeak with a guy who's saying that the majority of the servers are down. Not Tichondrius, though, so I guess I can play one of my characters at least.

Kinda want to collectively punch Blizzard in the face for implementing "Blizzard Downloader."
Mirajj,Mar 22 2005, 04:54 PM Wrote:She does the "Electric Slide" now... ;)
[right][snapback]71533[/snapback][/right]
Is that what it's called? I don't pay attention to silly details like dance names. ;)
Intolerant monkey.
How to get the patch in about 4 minutes:

Use a Mac :P

I started my wife's Mac patching at the same time I started mine. Hers was done in 4 minutes; mine is at 1.3 mb. I'm betting that the 2 hour FilePlanet wait will be faster at this point, but I'll leave em both going just in case.
[Image: gurnseyheader6lk.jpg]
Gurnsey,Mar 23 2005, 12:41 AM Wrote:How to get the patch in about 4 minutes:

Use a Mac :P

I started my wife's Mac patching at the same time I started mine.  Hers was done in 4 minutes; mine is at 1.3 mb.  I'm betting that the 2 hour FilePlanet wait will be faster at this point, but I'll leave em both going just in case.
[right][snapback]71558[/snapback][/right]

Uh.... Macs are the thorn in the sides of all PC users. Or at least the techs... :-)

Half of the 75 minutes that it took to download the patch, my system was not downloading, but uploading a tremendous speed.

It just finished, so I'm going to see what they messed up now. Forgive the lack of confidence in Blizz.

-SaxyCorp
Bob the Beholder,Mar 22 2005, 06:29 PM Wrote:Got home from work at about two. 

Started the download at about 2:30.

It was at 82 percent when I cancelled it, at about 5:20, after I had gotten past the thousand-man Fileplanet waiting list.  Proceeded to finish the download in Fileplanet form in under ten minutes.

Got some Nox in in the meantime.  Cool semi-old game.   

It is now installing. 

But I'm in Teamspeak with a guy who's saying that the majority of the servers are down.  Not Tichondrius, though, so I guess I can play one of my characters at least.

Kinda want to collectively punch Blizzard in the face for implementing "Blizzard Downloader."
[right][snapback]71544[/snapback][/right]

I had to redo a bunch of my firewall to get the patch to install properly. After 50 minutes, I'd downloaded 10% of it. I called up my 'tech buddy', and we figured out the firewall was the problem. Some quick readjustment later, and I got the remaining 90% in 10 minutes.
Treesh,Mar 22 2005, 07:04 PM Wrote:Is that what it's called?  I don't pay attention to silly details like dance names. ;)
[right][snapback]71551[/snapback][/right]

I just remember this one quite a bit, because I was a DJ for high school proms at the time that it was popular, and thus played it a couple of times a night. *G*
TheDragoon,Mar 22 2005, 12:15 PM Wrote:Bleh, I hate the Blizzard Downloader.  I've got everything set up well on my computer but it's downloading slow enough as to register as 0.00 KB/s due to the UW's network firewalls.  If I could just get a nice direct download, I'd be done in seconds given the speed of the UW network.  Unfortunately, the UW Ethernet REALLY hates anything like BitTorrent.
[right][snapback]71495[/snapback][/right]

The really sad thing is that the downloader lacks only two options to make it significantly better for most everyone (barring university P2P issues):

1) The ability to cap upload at 80-90% of max upload speed to free up a pipe for 'confirmation' packets from the download side, this would not only improve download speeds, but also free up your download bandwidth for other apps while getting the patch (since it seems to completely neuter the remainder of bandwidth)

2) The ability to run a seed after the download has finished at some reasonable upload speed (10-70% of max upload speed or so). I know I'd suspend my TS server for a few days to stream the patch to people for a while. Without this, the downloader is plagued with a pitiful number of seeds who can actually serve the last few % of the patch, as most of the people who receive the whole thing quit the downloader right away to start (or attempting to start) playing.

Luckily I was able to get the patch early in the maintenance cycle, and it only took me 20 minutes. Also, since I was at work all day, I was able to leave the downloader running all day, but I know others weren't so lucky.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.