Sweet sassy molassy!
I picked up Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic a few days ago. Why the hell didn't I buy this game when it first came out? This game is fantastic! The graphics, the storyline, the characters, the sound, the music - everything is completely engrossing.

The day I got it I was glued to my computer for 8 hours straight. I haven't done that kind of gaming stretch in years. Hell, I didn't even think I had the patience for it anymore. It turns out I just wasn't playing the right game. I can't wait to finish it, and start over using a different character.

I know there is a KOTOR2, and I am already planning on buying it when I get done with KOTOR1. Someone PLEASE tell me it is at least half as good the original.
Yeah, KOTOR2 Is almost as good as the original. It's just very mysteriously complicated. It's very good though. I'd say about 4/5 as good as KOTOR1.

Wow, I'm half asleep/smashed so if this isn't coherent sue me. :shuriken:
I have my own signature. Yay.
I'm still waiting for the Galactic Pazaak Championship expansion pack.

Seriously, like all I do in that game is play pazaak... am I sick?
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Mithrandir,Mar 9 2005, 11:51 PM Wrote:Seriously, like all I do in that game is play pazaak... am I sick?
[right][snapback]70190[/snapback][/right]
Yes, you definitely are. I hate pazaak! I could never get the hang of it... It just seems so random and skill-less. Or maybe I just suck at it :P.

Triple Triad... now there's a great RPG sidequest card game ;) (Final Fantasy 8 ) I spent hours on that game trying to win the good cards.

--Copadope
DeeBye,Mar 9 2005, 11:26 PM Wrote:I know there is a KOTOR2, and I am already planning on buying it when I get done with KOTOR1.  Someone PLEASE tell me it is at least half as good the original.

KoTORII was produced by a different company than the first, though they stayed with a similar formula, just a few tweaks. I'd agree with the rating that its 4/5ths as good as KoTOR I, which still makes it a must play :).

Enjoy the game, and play the entire game through on hard. Even the first time. I mean it. Every situation is beatable on hard, it maybe just take a little time to figure out the best way to approach it. To me that was one of the best things about it :).

Enjoy,

Munk

PS. Don't forget to play through as the super evil dark side at least once.
PPS. I think I have a video game crush on Bastilla :wub:, so keep your hands off her!
Copadope,Mar 10 2005, 12:29 AM Wrote:Yes, you definitely are. I hate pazaak! I could never get the hang of it... It just seems so random and skill-less. Or maybe I just suck at it :P.

Triple Triad... now there's a great RPG sidequest card game ;) (Final Fantasy 8 ) I spent hours on that game trying to win the good cards.
[right][snapback]70197[/snapback][/right]
The one time I had to re-load my FF8 because I lost a card game sidequest I had lost my Rinoa.

I wish I could buy *real* full triple triad decks. I saw that this was a phenomenon in Japan, but not much in the US. On Ebay they sell as collectibles for way too much money.

But perhaps this would satisfy you?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Copadope,Mar 10 2005, 01:29 AM Wrote:Triple Triad... now there's a great RPG sidequest card game ;) (Final Fantasy 8 ) I spent hours on that game trying to win the good cards.
[right][snapback]70197[/snapback][/right]

I think I spent more time playing Triple Triad than I did the rest of FFVIII. I had all of the cards.

I agree with you about Pazaak. It's too random, and there is very little you can do to directly affect what your opponent does. I hate it.
Munkay,Mar 10 2005, 03:11 AM Wrote:KoTORII was produced by a different company than the first, though they stayed with a similar formula, just a few tweaks.  I'd agree with the rating that its 4/5ths as good as KoTOR I, which still makes it a must play :).

I heard that KOTOR2 uses the exact same game engine that KOTOR1 uses. Confirm/deny?

This engine is pretty awesome. It's not quite as pretty as WoW, but it's pretty damned close. The reflections from shiny surfaces like Sith armor looks absofantabulous.

Quote:PS.  Don't forget to play through as the super evil dark side at least once.

That's what I will be doing after I complete it with a Light Side Jedi :shuriken:

Quote:PPS.  I think I have a video game crush on Bastilla :wub:, so keep your hands off her!

But we share a connection through the Force!!!! :wub:

GAME UPDATE!
(no spoilers please)
I just finished all of the quests on Dantooine (I think) and landed for a brief time on Tatooine. I found a little stowaway on my ship and promptly returned her to Dantooine. I also found my ship riddled with little jumping creatures after a mysterious delivery I was not expecting. I will figure them out soon enough, I suspect.

Is there any reason to use the non-Jedi party members? I like the banter and storylines between all of the characters, but I always seem to find myself choosing Jedis for missions. Maybe I just like the flashing lightsabres...

I laughed my ass off at the conclusion of the quest on Dantooine that prompted me to go in search of the widow's lost droid. The dialogue came this close ]-[ (note: not to scale) to describing the droid's REAL function. When I met them in the Enclave after the quest was over and the droid said "Please kill me..." I just about lost it.
DeeBye,Mar 9 2005, 11:26 PM Wrote:I picked up Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic a few days ago.  Why the hell didn't I buy this game when it first came out?  This game is fantastic!  The graphics, the storyline, the characters, the sound, the music - everything is completely engrossing.
[right][snapback]70187[/snapback][/right]
And this proves that no matter how many threads/posts you have on a forum saying "WOW, KOTOR is AWESOME!", someone won't bother getting the game for another year and then go "WOW, KOTOR is AWESOME!" :)

Just poking fun at you, Dee.

The game's intensely fun. Play it twice - as a good guy and a bad guy (in fact, switch genders each time as well) for different plot developments and fun. Course, there are, what, 4-5 different endings, too? Can't say much without giving things away. Just enjoy the game, it's fantastic. I think I played it 3 full times through, doing different things each time...

Someday I'll get to KOTOR2 when this World of Warcraft thing wears off.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Mar 11 2005, 01:20 AM Wrote:And this proves that no matter how many threads/posts you have on a forum saying "WOW, KOTOR is AWESOME!", someone won't bother getting the game for another year and then go "WOW, KOTOR is AWESOME!"  :)

Just poking fun at you, Dee.

In my meager defense, my CD drive was busted and I was insanely poor during the time that all of the KOTOR hoopla went on (and I've since performed forum searches and read all the threads). Since I couldn't install any games, I made a conscious decision to not read any "new game" threads. I just couldn't bear to read about great games I had no way of playing.

Don't poke fun at me ever again Bolty! :angry:
Quote:That's what I will be doing after I complete it with a Light Side Jedi  :shuriken:
But we share a connection through the Force!!!!  :wub:

Pfft, just wait till you get to the part where she chokes on a piece of cyber chicken and dies! :o I guess I should have warned about that spoiler. :whistling:

Quote:I will figure them out soon enough, I suspect.

Gizka! Possibly the cutest of all reptilian mamalia in video games. They are harmless enough, cute companion sidekicks.

As my brother said "I'd prefer to have a Gizka in my party over Carth." Too bad this isn't possible. But at least their fun for a game of peek-a-boo.

Quote:Is there any reason to use the non-Jedi party members?  I like the banter and storylines between all of the characters, but I always seem to find myself choosing Jedis for missions.  Maybe I just like the flashing lightsabres...

I love the jedi members as well. All party members have the same exp whether they are used or not, so for the most part there is no reason to use any of the other characters except for the ones you like. There are a few subquests(related to the stories each character says) that don't appear unless they are in your party. But none of those have any real impact on the game, except for some momentary peace and quiet from whiny Carth.

Quote:I laughed my ass off at the conclusion of the quest on Dantooine that prompted me to go in search of the widow's lost droid.  The dialogue came this close ]-[ (note: not to scale) to describing the droid's REAL function.  When I met them in the Enclave after the quest was over and the droid said "Please kill me..." I just about lost it.

Me too. :lol:

Cheers,

Munk

Edit: It's late and my brain dun stopped workin' :P
DeeBye,Mar 11 2005, 06:34 PM Wrote:Don't poke fun at me ever again Bolty!  :angry:
[right][snapback]70300[/snapback][/right]
Yeah. Pass that fun-poker along the chain :P
*pokes DeeBye*
Wait ... didn't we used to do that to Elric?
DeeBye,Mar 10 2005, 11:44 PM Wrote:Is there any reason to use the non-Jedi party members?  I like the banter and storylines between all of the characters, but I always seem to find myself choosing Jedis for missions.  Maybe I just like the flashing lightsabres...
[right][snapback]70294[/snapback][/right]

Jedi are much, much more powerful in all respects than other characters in KOTOR1 (haven't played 2 yet, where they said they were going to address that). Non-Jedi characters have a lot of difficulty getting more than one attack. When they do, they turn out to be much more vulnerable to blaster fire and they don't really get anything of substance to counter the introduction of Force powers. Just not enough feats. By the time Carth's level 20, you'll have been picking feats in the "oh, what's there left to take?" category for a good five levels.
Did I just stumble into 2003? I need to call my stockbroker!
:w00t:
Okay, can someone help me with a quest? I was sent to find Bastila's father's remains and to recover his holocron, but I can't find them anywhere. The only clue was that he was moving between Anchorhead and the Sand People's camp. I've checked all of the bodies in the area and I can't find a darned thing. I haven't been to the Eastern Dune Sea yet, could it be there?
DeeBye,Mar 14 2005, 12:53 AM Wrote:Okay, can someone help me with a quest?  I was sent to find Bastila's father's remains and to recover his holocron, but I can't find them anywhere.  The only clue was that he was moving between Anchorhead and the Sand People's camp.  I've checked all of the bodies in the area and I can't find a darned thing.  I haven't been to the Eastern Dune Sea yet, could it be there?
[right][snapback]70655[/snapback][/right]

Actually if I remember correctly hes actually one of the bodies just outside the Kyrat Dragon's cave. It has been a little while though, but I would try there, on the...right side as your facing the enterance.
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
Urza-DSF,Mar 14 2005, 01: Wrote:Actually if I remember correctly hes actually one of the bodies just outside the Kyrat Dragon's cave.  It has been a little while though, but I would try there, on the...right side as your facing the enterance.
[right][snapback]70656[/snapback][/right]

Ah, I haven't been to the Krayt Dragon cave yet. That would explain why I haven't found his body.

Thanks.
Munkay,Mar 9 2005, 11:11 PM Wrote:PPS.  I think I have a video game crush on Bastilla :wub:, so keep your hands off her!
[right][snapback]70202[/snapback][/right]

Sorry, Munkay, Bastilla is the biggest PITA to have ever graced a video game. Could she have whined any more? I was delighted to strike her down.
Thecla,Mar 14 2005, 03:49 AM Wrote:Sorry, Munkay, Bastilla is the biggest PITA to have ever graced a video game. Could she have whined any more? I was delighted to strike her down.

On the topic of whining, she was an angel compared to damnadable Carth. I wish I could strike him down. Bastilla's healing was a great addition to any party (until you get Jolee).

Plus, what can I say, she is Jedi eye candy :wub:.
GAME UPDATE!

I finished off the Tatooine quests (except for the annoying swoop racing ones -- I really don't like swoop racing). I found Bastilla's father's holocron in the entrance to the Krayt Dragon's cave. Bastilla and her mother kissed and made up.

I think I bungled the Sand People's quest though. When I first entered the Sand People's camp, I was told to go get someone that could speak the language. I recruited HK-47 for the task, but when I re-enterred the camp the Sand People were immediately hostile so I had no choice but to slay each and every one of them to complete the quest. I made sure my non-droid party members were wearing Sand People robes when I entered the camp, but the Sand People weren't convinced. I was hoping for a peaceful resolution to that quest.

I'm now doing the Manaan quests and I just sucessfully infiltrated and whupped arse in the Sith base.

KOTOR is all kinds of awesome, and Carth is a whiney bastard.